Worst Record I've Ever Heard

Guest Dan

Found this in my records the other day, have no idea when or why I bought it

Daddy Do It Good by Jim Faulkner on Para West from Paramount, Ca.

Have you ever heard anything so rubbish...the backing band are competent but the singer and the engineer/mixer must have been stoned

Right up Pete-S's street

Will send a tenner to anyone who can post up anything worse*

*has to be IMO which gives me a get-out!

Social source share

Have you ever heard anything so rubbish...the backing band are competent but the singer and the engineer/mixer must have been stoned

Right up Pete-S's street

*has to be IMO which gives me a get-out!

link

God that is BAD Dan!, shame really as you say the backing is quite a nice tune but whoever Jim Faulkner was I do hope we never hear of him again, right Pete...get to work on that backing track! :ohmy:

Social source share

The whole things a mess! The lead vocal is a dream compared to the backing singers. Whats the 'a' side like?

link

er, it's a bit like this...check out the totally incongruous drums at the start

it's called leave me alone'. i can imagine jim faulkner playing a gig and shouting out 'what shall we play next?'

'just fucking leave me alone' would be the response...at which point the demon drummer would get to work

unbelievable that it was ever made, esp in the 70s with the energy crisis and oil running out. this is a waste of good fossil fuel

it's the sort of thing the cia used to play to people as a form of psychological torture

what the f*** were they thinking? my theory is they were a bunch of rich kids who found some acid and a studio

Social source share

Guest mattmale

If it was rare as rocking horse shit and worth ten grand it would be considered brilliant and end up as an anthem... whistling.gif

Hmm it actually kind of grew on me after a couple of minutes :thumbsup:

M.

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

That's pretty poor...always a mistake letting the local gang sing backing vocals on your record...no matter how much they threaten to kick your head in [although the lead singer sounds like they've already battered him!]

Several 45's have tortured my lugholes with poor production/engineering. One that immediately springs to mind is The Captions on Millage, the band give 100% on a rockin stormer only to have mr. misery behind the mixing desk totally neuter it with his underwater recording technique, he then proceeds to foul up again by smothering the beautiful slowie on the flip with an aural pillow.

The absolute worst of its' kind has got to be The Del Chords on the less than accurately named 'Mr. Genius' imprint. 'Your Mommy Lied To Your Daddy' is a record from the twilight zone of lo-fi nightmares. This is a real shame as it's a decent song let down by a turgid sonic coating which is so bad you think your hearing's packed in. Bizarrely the engineer get's credited in great big letters on the label, maybe it was the band's way of pointing the finger of blame!?

Oh...and whoever engineered Nomad Woman on Golden Hit should've been sacked...or was that a pressing flaw?

Social source share

billytheboot said:

This is far worse IMO:

Please send cash to

Mark Whiteley

whistling.gif

actually didn't think Dan's thing was that bad. Dreadful vocals, but aren't a lot of things we listen to?

link

you are absolutely and dangerously certifiable if you think vivian carroll is worse than jim faulkner

amazed people actually like it...i'm now taking offers for swaps from deaf nutters

Social source share

If it was rare as rocking horse shit and worth ten grand it would be considered brilliant and end up as an anthem... whistling.gif

Hmm it actually kind of grew on me after a couple of minutes  :thumbsup:

M.

link

matt you can have it

you're local to me i'll leave it in the bin at nuneaton sainsbury's when i do my booze shop later on tonight!

Social source share

you are absolutely and dangerously certifiable if you think vivian carroll is worse than jim faulkner

amazed people actually like it...i'm now taking offers for swaps from deaf nutters

link

ahh but I never said I liked it. By "not that bad" I meant not as bad as you lot are making out. Yeah it's piss poor on the vocal front but it's a nice backing track, which to me is 50% of the record thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ahem...

If you can bear it wait for the - shall we call it - Brass Section. Hard to believe this came out on major label in 1968.

!!Warning!! - This record is really terrible. Sensitive sorts should NOT download this MP3!!

The poster cannot be held liable for any distress or trauma caused by listening to this tune.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

You must be out of your tiny mind, that is a bloody fantastic record, and so is the other side, in fact the other side is better.  Legendary Stardust Cowboy on Mercury.

link

Aww - now you've gone and spoilt it you bloody know all thumbsup.gif

Yep it's an astounding record all right!

Should give a few people on this site a bit of a fright though :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

You must be out of your tiny mind, that is a bloody fantastic record, and so is the other side, in fact the other side is better.  Legendary Stardust Cowboy on Mercury.

link

Travis Wamack,have anything to do with this or is it my ears? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Dan...the Faulkner record is hilarious! I almost pissed my pants on that one! He almost sounds like some gay pimp. So bad it's good. You almost wonder if it was a joke.

I'm definitely interested in that 45 if it's not too expensive. Would like to have it just as a novelty.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Dan...the Faulkner record is hilarious! I almost pissed my pants on that one! He almost sounds like some gay pimp. So bad it's good. You almost wonder if it was a joke.

I'm definitely interested in that 45 if it's not too expensive. Would like to have it just as a novelty.

KTF

Jas

link

Confused? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

never got to sainsburys to leave it for matt so you can have it jas

send me something cheap in return?

i'll stick it in the post tonight

godz - got your pm but you're having a giraffe, nowhere near as bad as jim faulkner!

Social source share

Well it looks like I've hidden most of the real bad stuff away somewhere. Maybe in an act of mental preservation.

Meanwhile, try this for size:

Godz

link

ha ha ha

like the miscue

thing is now you're widening things out to include just about anything, whereas i was hoping for bad 'soul' records.

so still no tenner...

Social source share

ha ha ha

like the miscue

thing is now you're widening things out to include just about anything, whereas i was hoping for bad 'soul' records.

so still no tenner...

link

You never said they had to be soul records :thumbsup: - you're just changing the rules so you don't have to pay up you tight bastard!!!!

Back to the cupboard of doom then :no:

Godz

Social source share

loads of great crap out there

david hasselhoff is a personal favourite

check out www.davidhasselhoff.com for a few laughs

Social source share

Ahem...

If you can bear it wait for the  - shall we call it - Brass Section. Hard to believe this came out on major label in 1968.

!!Warning!! - This record is really terrible. Sensitive sorts should NOT download this MP3!!

The poster cannot be held liable for any distress or trauma caused by listening to this tune.

Godz

link

dont count can hear country and western slide guitar in

background :thumbsup:

Social source share

Apparently Jock Mitchell's "Nomad Woman" was released on a clean pressing on Golden Hit, according to Tim Brown. I'd love to hear it, as I think the record is, potentially, awesome. Has anyone else ever had one?

link

on a point of order mr chairman, this is the 'worst record i've ever heard' thread, not the 'potentially awesome record' thread

Social source share

Guest mattmale

matt you can have it

you're local to me i'll leave it in the bin at nuneaton sainsbury's when i do my booze shop later on tonight!

link

Cheers :no: I just hope i can get there before Mark Freeman... :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

yep Marks definately lost it Dan :no: fcuking awful record :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Bought it??!! we all have shite records but sensibly dont ever confess to buying them...they just turn up in one of our boxes and we aint got a facking clue how they got there!!

Bought it LOL

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Apparently Jock Mitchell's "Nomad Woman" was released on a clean pressing on Golden Hit, according to Tim Brown. I'd love to hear it, as I think the record is, potentially, awesome. Has anyone else ever had one?

link

No, and I aggree Gareth, it is awesome, but how on earth does that post relate to anything said in this thread :wicked:

Social source share

Bought it??!! we all have shite records but sensibly dont ever confess to buying them...they just turn up in one of our boxes and we aint got a facking clue how they got there!!

Bought it LOL

:wicked:

link

good point dave. bought it? pah!

actually swapped it for an unreleased magnetics acetate.

Social source share

The absolute worst of its' kind has got to be The Del Chords on the less than accurately named 'Mr. Genius' imprint. 'Your Mommy Lied To Your Daddy' is a record from the twilight zone of lo-fi nightmares. This is a real shame as it's a decent song let down by a turgid sonic coating which is so bad you think your hearing's packed in. Bizarrely the engineer get's credited in great big letters on the label, maybe it was the band's way of pointing the finger of blame!?

Yeah great shame mr trek, I think it's a bloody good record spoilt by........

well I can't improve on your description so I won't even try but.........

I believe it was issued on a different label, anybody know if it was a different mix or recording? Think Del Chords went on to become the Magnificent Men by the way.

Social source share

RE: the DelChords...

Correct. Dave Bupp was in that group and those guys went on to be Magnificent Men. The record was issued first on Mr. Genius and then on Impala records. I have both copies. To be quite honest, I bought it years ago for the ballad side. I still think that it's a fine example of soulful doo wop. After losing interest in doo wop and gaining interest in northern, I started flipping all of these records over. It worked for the Augustine Twins, but "Your Mommy Lied to Your Daddy" doesn't do it for me at all. "Everybody's Gotta Lose" is a killer. Let me know if you all want a sound file.

Dave-getting a record together for the "terrible" swap.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

• 14 years later...

https://jerrysolomon.bandcamp.com/track/sail-sail

On 04/07/2005 at 05:04, Guest Dan said:

Have you ever heard anything so rubbish...the backing band are competent but the singer and the engineer/mixer must have been stoned.

860014316_SailSailbySolomonTheMuskets.jpg.67d6e6c742a568817c3f96ba08e22180.jpg

Clearly, you haven't heard "Sail, Sail" by Solomon!!!

Will you send €11, instead?

Listen to THIS!!!  - IF YOU DARE!!!  Click on the link at this post's very top, ABOVE the copy of the post to which I am referring.  Sorry for the weird positioning of the audio link:860014316_SailSailbySolomonTheMuskets.jpg.67d6e6c742a568817c3f96ba08e22180.jpg

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!