Robin Hood Soul Club

Guest Bellyfullosoul

Guest Bellyfullosoul

Another great night of soul at the humble shed. Saturday nights have never been this much fun! Special ocasion on many levels a variety of Birthdays Laura and her partner, what are the odds, Wedding anniversaries and a leaving do - Kate the club barmaid heading off to Uni. We had a buffet and presents etc.

The night "kicked off" with some size 9 soul from a newbie DJ called Dangerous Davies (better known as Casper). A rare treat of supercool old school with the occasional classic thrown in. Slow tempo turned to stomping 100mph. For whats known as "the grave yard shift" (cause nobody dances - 1/2 haven't even arrived) Dangerous got them up and filled the floor. He almost got by without speaking but after a bit of prompting showed excellent skills on the mike too. Is this guy good at oral or what! Watch out DJ's every where he's live and dangerous! cheers Pete! Got to be one of the coolest faces on the scene.

Ray followed next with his inimitable track upon track approach. Motown led to classic soul, floor fillers every one! The dancers showed there appreciation by packing the dance floor. talc met floor met leather met floor again. Turning up the heat left the set with stompers, and tired feet all round. No let up though as Den took on the decks with the panache of the seasoned pro. Little by little as the night grew older people began to drift away. The best spot for me is always the very end and Saturdays soul was no exception. Den my feet died a thousand times with all that dancing. Today it hurts but what great memories.

Finally the announcement that the Dukeries Soul Club will be re-launched on the 25th September at the miners welfare in Edwinstowe is welcome news. We were a little less crowded than usual as some of the old faithful were absent. No names mentioned but if your not there next time I will us my powers of chaos. You have been warned!

Dancer of the night had to be the duracel sponsored, sanatogen backed, Billy Backdrop! Non stop Soul really does mean non stop for this guy. He even got the funky chicken in a couple of times. Don't ring the RSPB it's a dance!

Don't miss the next one and Good luck Kate! Come back when your on your hols!

Captain Chaos

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

well my first time on the decks and really had fun.... i'm not one of those "wanna be" Djs ... it was all just a bit of fun,........"for one night only"...... however it went well judging by what has been said !

my record collection was sold a loooooooong time ago , so thanks to Chris Dixon for the loan of some nice records to choose an hours spot from ....yes.gif

and indeed Happy Birthday to his daughter Laura XX and her partner Ben with congrats to Chris n' Deb on their wedding anniversary ! thumbsup.gif

Robin Hood Soul Club is just one of those places you "need" to visit....Like Kingsway, Grovsnor, Phoenix etc in this area, if you want to dance, listen to great proper "Northern soul" and belong to a local Northern soul family..... then move house and come and live here in Notts ! .... simples !...good.gif ..... we are sooooooooooo lucky round here ....

pete n' susan KTF !

Edited by casper
Guest laura-lou

Another great night at the Robin Hood Club...numbers were lower than usual but a good night was had all around.

A big thanks to everyone for the cards and presents...and also a big thanks to Ray, Dennis, Ann & Mary for letting us bring some food along :rolleyes:

The music was perfect (as usual :thumbup: ) and a big WELL DONE to Casper...first time on the decks....you played a good set...and i know everyone thought you were a professional thumbsup.gif

I love the Robin Hood Club...its full of friendly faces and everyone is there for one reason...TO ENJOY THE MUSIC

Well done to Ray n Dennis once again for giving us another fantastic soul night...looking forward to the next one where my dad is guest d.j...hehe.

Love to you all x

Well Master Davis where do you go from here, I will tell you!!!! get some records together I would not hesitate in booking you at Forest Town.

Our shed can always please :thumbup: now we have Ray, Laura, Chris, Captain Chaos, Dangerous Davies, The Payne Mick, Pilsley's very best Barry Cooper, The True Billy Back Drop, and many others. With a hand full of Robin's merry men & maidens, all in a shed behind a pub called the Robin Hood and yes with its own northern soul wabit. Dedication or what our lovely Kate is returning to work behind the bar only on the Robin Hood Soul Nights. "What a soulie" any way Sat night was just another sh*t night..

Sorry about your feet Rob I've been getting the blame for one thing or the other these days "got big shoulders"so next time I will play some modern just for you pal like hell:angry:

Thanks to all you soul members that attended:D

K.T.F Den

Edited by Dendog
Guest Barry Holland

well my first time on the decks and really had fun.... i'm not one of those "wanna be" Djs ... it was all just a bit of fun,........"for one night only"...... however it went well judging by what has been said !

my record collection was sold a loooooooong time ago , so thanks to Chris Dixon for the loan of some nice records to choose an hours spot from ....yes.gif

and indeed Happy Birthday to his daughter Laura XX and her partner Ben with congrats to Chris n' Deb on their wedding anniversary ! thumbsup.gif

Robin Hood Soul Club is just one of those places you "need" to visit....Like Kingsway, Grovsnor, Phoenix etc in this area, if you want to dance, listen to great proper "Northern soul" and belong to a local Northern soul family..... then move house and come and live here in Notts ! .... simples !...good.gif ..... we are sooooooooooo lucky round here ....

pete n' susan KTF !

thumbup.gifEY UP PETE, SORRY TO BUTT IN ON YOUR CONVERSATION, BUT NICE TO HEAR YOU'VE FINALLY GOT BEHIND THE DECKS, SPINNING GREAT TUNES.good.gif I REMEMBER THE BOX OF RECORDS YOU LENT ME TO TAPE IN THE LATE 80'S. BEST OF ALL I'VE STILL GOT THE TAPE SOMEWHERE IN MY ATTIC. I'LL FIND IT OUT & LET YOU KNOW WHAT'S ON IT, SO YOU CAN GET THEM AGAIN. SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT SCENE DOWN THERE IN NOTTS, SAME AS UP IN SOUTH YORKS. SOMETHING EVERY WEEKEND. GREAT TO HEAR YOU'VE SETTLED IN SO WELL AND BECOME PART OF A FRIENDLY SCENE.biggrin.gif SOUTH YORKS. LOSS IS NOTTS' GAIN. HOPE TO SEE YOU AND SUSAN OUT & ABOUT SOMEWHERE SOON. BARRY & ANN. KAY GEE BEE. KTF.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

hi Barry n' Anne, nice to hear from you, please butt in at anytime you want, you are always welcome, Top soulies for sure !

we are up at your local next month at "city limits".... quite a few of the Notts/ mansfield soul family are planning to coming up to a great club in the making...

I would be interested to hear my old records again, even on tape..... by heck they would be worth some money now .....I wish i had never sold them , but to be honest at the time when we bought them it was the only way to listen at home, no such thing as cd's, and 8 track was all pre recorded..... and compact cassetes were the way forward when they came out, eh?who need records when you can play em in yer car and carry them in your pocket in a cassette ? .... quite short sighted of me really at the time...but i was never a collector, just a dancer who loves what comes to my ears... would i re buy them ??

now where is my cash card ?..... cue Rob Smith.... lol

see you very soon,

pete n' susan KTF

Source Advert