Dewsbury Town Hall - September 26Th

Phild

Tickets for Keeping The Faith @ Dewsbury Town Hall are on sale now.

They can be bought either via the Soul Intention website - https://www.soul-intention.co.uk or from Kirklees Council booking office - 01924 324501

Saturday September 26th 2009 sees the launch of "KEEPING THE FAITH" at DEWSBURY TOWN HALL. From 7:30pm until 1:00am in two rooms.

The Main Room will feature Northern Soul Floorfillers from all eras of the scene. The DJ Line-Up will be lead by ex Leeds Central stalwart and former local lad Ian Dewhirst (aka Frank) ably assisted by Wakefield,s Fred Ward (Brighouse Ritz, Frobisher Suite), Gibby (Yorkshire Rider) and Phil Dick (Bradford Queens Hall, Leeds Griffin etc).

The second room will concentrate on rare and undeplayed gems brought to you by Derek Watmough (Bolton), John Purvis (Halifax) and John Horsler (Batley).

We give our DJ's free reign, but only original vinyl records are allowed!

Phil

• Replies 64
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest topcatnumpty1

Tickets selling well. Don't miss out - phone or go online to secure yours

Just a quickie----is this the same Phil Dick who took out a thread on here not too long ago to say he was having nothing more to do with the soul scene--and that all his records were for sale(at the right price!!!) How do we know this event will take place he might leave the scene again??

T.C.

Just a quickie----is this the same Phil Dick who took out a thread on here not too long ago to say he was having nothing more to do with the soul scene--and that all his records were for sale(at the right price!!!) How do we know this event will take place he might leave the scene again??

T.C.

Tony,

I think you'll find that was a couple or more years ago.

Didn't sell any records either.

But just in case I do head off into the sunset my partner in the event Ian Dewhirst will look after things. thumbup.gif

The venue is paid for, the last of the sound equipment was bought today, so we can actually have music in both rooms thumbsup.gif

However, I don't understand why the question?

You wouldn't have had even the slightest inclination to attend anyway would you?

Phil

Tickets for Keeping The Faith @ Dewsbury Town Hall are on sale now.

They can be bought either via the Soul Intention website - https://www.soul-intention.co.uk or from Kirklees Council booking office - 01924 324501

Saturday September 26th 2009 sees the launch of "KEEPING THE FAITH" at DEWSBURY TOWN HALL. From 7:30pm until 1:00am in two rooms.

The Main Room will feature Northern Soul Floorfillers from all eras of the scene. The DJ Line-Up will be lead by ex Leeds Central stalwart and former local lad Ian Dewhirst (aka Frank) ably assisted by Wakefield,s Fred Ward (Brighouse Ritz, Frobisher Suite), Gibby (Yorkshire Rider) and Phil Dick (Bradford Queens Hall, Leeds Griffin etc).

The second room will concentrate on rare and undeplayed gems brought to you by Derek Watmough (Bolton), John Purvis (Halifax) and John Horsler (Batley).

We give our DJ's free reign, but only original vinyl records are allowed!

Phil

so how come you've got fred ward on the bill, 90% of what he plays are on boots

so, the d.j.'s dont even have to own any records , they can just turn up empty handed and play yours,

That was an attempt at humour. I apologise if that wasn't clear.

I don't understand what the problem is? I've set and stated our music policy, it will be adhered to.

I'll let you know how it went afterwards, as you're obviously not going to be coming either.

Phil

Good luck with this event Phil !! thumbup.gif

Had I not made prior arrangements (with my god-daughter) I would definitely be there supporting you, the d.j's & this night without a shadow of a doubt!!

Ooh an idea/thought !! ... will they let me bring a 9 year old in with me ?? g.gif Didnt think so no.gif

Lots of good luck for your first night. I'll defo be at the next one.

ATB

Alison x

Good luck with this event Phil !! thumbup.gif

Had I not made prior arrangements (with my god-daughter) I would definitely be there supporting you, the d.j's & this night without a shadow of a doubt!!

Ooh an idea/thought !! ... will they let me bring a 9 year old in with me ?? g.gif Didnt think so no.gif

Lots of good luck for your first night. I'll defo be at the next one.

ATB

Alison x

Thanx Alison. I hope 9 year olds aren't a problem. Mine's doing the door biggrin.gif

Phil

Thanx Alison. I hope 9 year olds aren't a problem. Mine's doing the door biggrin.gif

Phil

Hey that's a brilliant idea Phil !! laugh.gif

Does your 9 year old need another 9 year old to keep he/she company cos I know where there is one going spare laugh.giflaugh.gif

Seriously tho I would give anything to show my support for this venue on your first night (but sadly not my god-daughter). Her mum would kill me especially when it could turn out that my GD had a better night than her mum who is going to another soul venue hence the reason for me stepping in. Not that the other one is going to shxt just I know yours is going to be better (imo)

All the best Phil

Keep at it

Ali x

Guest lagerlout

What is the problem with this event...look at the line up...the pair of you must have some sort of issues with it/them as why would you post something to pull down an event like that.

I know from experience that putting events on is thankless, hardwork, and non profitable in most cases.

you do it to let people come and dance/listen to the music they love.

for the purist its an issue about wot label its on wot the run in number is, to me its wots in the grooves of the 7" black vinyl disc.

come on fellas dont knock an event thats not even happened yet.

What is the problem with this event...look at the line up...the pair of you must have some sort of issues with it/them as why would you post something to pull down an event like that.

I know from experience that putting events on is thankless, hardwork, and non profitable in most cases.

for the purist its an issue about wot label its on wot the run in number is, to me its wots in the grooves of the 7" black vinyl disc.

whistlingdon't think there's any problem with this event or can't see it but could be a issue:frusty2: ,which if true is sad because life is to short to hold grudges if thats the case could be wrong :chinstroke: any way i'm looking forword to spinning a few records in rare room regards johno:thumbup:

Hey that's a brilliant idea Phil !! :laugh:

Does your 9 year old need another 9 year old to keep he/she company cos I know where there is one going spare :laugh::laugh:

Seriously tho I would give anything to show my support for this venue on your first night (but sadly not my god-daughter). Her mum would kill me especially when it could turn out that my GD had a better night than her mum who is going to another soul venue hence the reason for me stepping in. Not that the other one is going to shxt just I know yours is going to be better (imo)

All the best Phil

Keep at it

Ali x

Hi Ali,

She's not really coming. I'll let her in another 9 or 10 years tho':wicked:

You can come to the next one. Well, that is if I bother.

Phil

I don't undertand either, but hey that's life. However, Trev (soulman1964) just raised what he felt were valid concerns over all DJ's ability to conform with our stated music policy. IE OVO.

As for profit. If we fill the place to capacity we'll make a grand total of £300.00 profit.

But that's not what it's about, it's about playing thse beautiful choons in a nice venue and enjoying the expereince that it gives you. For me it IS an issue about the label, for others not. But to me as a promoter/DJ at this event there are at least 3 separate streams of enjoyment:

1. Promoter - The pleasure of putting on an event and seeing tour peers turning up, paying their money and enjoying themselves from start to end, wanting more.

2. DJ - taking that elusive piece of vinyl from its sleeve, giving it a little wipe with the lint-free cloth placing it upon the turntable and cueing it up. Slide up the faders, the sound erupts from the speakers, soulies rush to the dancefloor enjoying every minute. The sense of achievement i personally get from playing a record the crowd wants to listen to is electric. And ...

3. Soulie - standing around chatting to a mate, enjoying the music and then the next record comes on and it's one of "those" records. the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and you've just GOT to get on the dancefloor and for those 2-3 minutes everything else just doesn't exist.

To paraphrase the M&S adverts. It's not just soul music it's Northern Soul muisc.

I love it!

Phil

try reading my posts again, not knocking the event at all, just questioning the ORIGINAL vinyl policy, when one of the d.j's plays off boots, anyway i had a pint with phil on saturday night & he hasnt got a problem with my posts

try reading my posts again, not knocking the event at all, just questioning the ORIGINAL vinyl policy, when one of the d.j's plays off boots, anyway i had a pint with phil on saturday night & he hasnt got a problem with my posts

And a very nice pint it was too. 100% original Carlsberg Exportthumbsup.gif

None of that bootleg taste-a-like rubbish wicked.gif

Phil

hi phil

glad to see your on the up again hope you+kim family ok

think last time we chatted was the venue you did at bradford years ago

allways liked your choice of music and dj line ups quality music played

should have no problem with new venue

great line up of djs with quality tunage between them

would loved to be there to support you but as you probly know we live in turkey have done for 4yrs

please give our regards to our great friends john+dawn purvis

hope to see you soon

sid+bernadette

hi phil

glad to see your on the up again hope you+kim family ok

think last time we chatted was the venue you did at bradford years ago

allways liked your choice of music and dj line ups quality music played

should have no problem with new venue

great line up of djs with quality tunage between them

would loved to be there to support you but as you probly know we live in turkey have done for 4yrs

please give our regards to our great friends john+dawn purvis

hope to see you soon

sid+bernadette

Shame you can't be there mate. Shaping up to be a good 'un.

Do you get back over here ever?

Phil

Hi Phil

many thanks for the DJ invite and apologies for not replying earlier.

Can't make it as I'm staying on in Spain after the 'Hitsville' event.

I'm sure it will be a brilliant night (shades of the 'Bin Lid' or Earlsheaton Youth Club maybe? - now that is going back in time!) perhaps next time if you want me to ?

Cheers

Julian

Hi Phil

many thanks for the DJ invite and apologies for not replying earlier.

Can't make it as I'm staying on in Spain after the 'Hitsville' event.

I'm sure it will be a brilliant night (shades of the 'Bin Lid' or Earlsheaton Youth Club maybe? - now that is going back in time!) perhaps next time if you want me to ?

Cheers

Julian

Absolutely!

I'll be in touch.

Cheers

Phil

T.C.

Should have got Ian D too sell 'em eh !! thumbup.gif

Only a week and a bit now. Great music in 2 rooms at a superb venue.

PLUS - the launch of the new Soul Intention single - The Superlatives - The Movement (previously unreleased northern magic from 1969) b/w I Still Love You (the first EVER legitimate reissue of this timeless classic). You can buy this on the night or pre-order from the website!

Tickets can be bought either via the Soul Intention website - https://www.soul-intention.co.uk or from Kirklees Council booking office - 01924 324501

Cheers

Phil

We've agreed higher attendance levels with the council now, so people "should" be OK to pay on the door on the night. I'll keep numbers updated throughout the next week. But if you buy a ticket you're guaranteed to get in amyway.

Tickets can be bought either via the Soul Intention website - https://www.soul-intention.co.uk or from Kirklees Council booking office - 01924 324501

Or pay on the door on the night with cash or card.

Cheers

Phil

We've agreed higher attendance levels with the council now, so people "should" be OK to pay on the door on the night. I'll keep numbers updated throughout the next week. But if you buy a ticket you're guaranteed to get in amyway.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil ,my request from earlier in the week is a go'er,2 tickets put by for me and Sarah and maybe 1 more not sure on the third ticket yet but ill let you know

cheers

Toby

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

What is the venue capacity at this event?

regards

paul

Hi Phil

What is the venue capacity at this event?

regards

paul

Hi Paul.

Official Capacity across both rooms (with tables) - 390

Without tables - 685 :laugh:

The fire regs state that if there are any tables (even one table) used in the main hall the capacity drops by nearly 300!

There's no less space with a few tables in so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But I thought that people would appreciate somewhere to put their drink down.

The main hall is a beautiful victorian hall with a stage at one end and a balcony all around. The second room is up a level (on the same level as the balcony) and is a has lovely ornate panelling and marble radiator covers.

Cheers

Phil

Phil