Northern Soul 2009

Guest spudmurphy

my OPINION is still that his remixes are not soul and are nothing more than disco shite but thats my opinion

Which does sound exactly like what a lot of people were saying back in 1975 when he started playing certain types of records, does it not?thumbup.gif lol!

The point is, you have put your point fairly and without the spite apparent in other posts and that is fair enough. But to be honest, I think JAMES would slaughter LEVINE'S records be they originals, covers or whatever and from a position of irrational personal hatred, not mere creative criticism. My position is simple. Ultimately I am not going to tell Soul Artists what Producer to work with and what records to make. It's their choice and their's alone. If I am wrong, I'd like to hear somebody explain why and how?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Which does sound exactly like what a lot of people were saying back in 1975 when he started playing certain types of records, does it not?thumbup.gif lol!

The point is, you have put your point fairly and without the spite apparent in other posts and that is fair enough. But to be honest, I think JAMES would slaughter LEVINE'S records be they originals, covers or whatever and from a position of irrational personal hatred, not mere creative criticism. My position is simple. Ultimately I am not going to tell Soul Artists what Producer to work with and what records to make. It's their choice and their's alone. If I am wrong, I'd like to hear somebody explain why and how?thumbsup.gif

I am agreeing with loads you are saying chorleysoul, I wish I had your words. Seeing Willie Hutch etc. Sam Dees. ITS ALL ABOUT THE ARTISTS. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO RECORD IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO.

I hope for gods sake that they do not read these threads, because It would crucify me of I was one of the artists, listening to some of these so called 'experts' ripping all of

their recordings apart.

There are some very large chips on little shoulders on here.

Back on thread, this is the opener on the CD

Psmile.gif

Social source share

My problem with this is that by October someone is going to pull this pap out of a bargin bin in some garage and think it actually represents the northern soul scene 2009.

Surely for the new tracks on the CD to be called northern soul they would actually have to be played out somewhere not just given the label by IL.

None of the classic tracks were manufactured for the scene, they fitted a gendre the original artists knew nothing about, but by tampering with them the magic is lost. I wouldn't deny these artist a chance to cash in on tracks that were throw away 40yrs ago, but to remix them this way seems a bit like sacriledge.

John

I truly respect that viewpoint but I think we get a little carried away sometimes with our perceieved sense of 'ownership' of these records, on our scene in Britain.

Whilst they were not manufactured to fit the UK Northern Soul scene, they were originally cut in the states for a very defined market. The introduction to RICHARD TEMPLE'S 'Beating Rythym' sums that market up perfectly - 'Dancing is one of the joys of Young America and Young America has been responsible for starting most of the world's dance crazes....!' (Anybody please feel free to correct any wrong lyric, word etc!)

To say, therefore that none of the original artists knew what 'genre' they were performing within is most certainly wrong. NORTHERN SOUL as we know it was very much created for a young, dancing crowd, like the ones that would frequent certain legendary clubs like the TOP TWENTY in Detroit etc....It is just an ironic chance of fate that a scene that mirrored enthusiasm for these tunes later developed in England.

As such, we don't own any of these records and it is not up to us to decide what is 'sacrilege', don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean but we really do need to acknowledge that this stuff belongs to Black Americans ultimately and if any of them decide to work with IAN LEVINE or anybody else, doing covers, originals, whatever, it is their right to make that choice. The same goes for Black Soul Artists in the UK, as it goes.

As for the scene, no, it has survived for 40 odd years and it's not going be blown away by a CD, using the words 'northern Soul'. In fact, if anybody 'new' was to listen to this and become truly interested, logic dictates that they would eventually find their way to the original classics that you and every one of us cherish. So, in a way, does it really do much harm?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I truly respect that viewpoint but I think we get a little carried away sometimes with our perceieved sense of 'ownership' of these records, on our scene in Britain.

Whilst they were not manufactured to fit the UK Northern Soul scene, they were originally cut in the states for a very defined market. The introduction to RICHARD TEMPLE'S 'Beating Rythym' sums that market up perfectly - 'Dancing is one of the joys of Young America and Young America has been responsible for starting most of the world's dance crazes....!' (Anybody please feel free to correct any wrong lyric, word etc!)

To say, therefore that none of the original artists knew what 'genre' they were performing within is most certainly wrong. NORTHERN SOUL as we know it was very much created for a young, dancing crowd, like the ones that would frequent certain legendary clubs like the TOP TWENTY in Detroit etc....It is just an ironic chance of fate that a scene that mirrored enthusiasm for these tunes later developed in England.

As such, we don't own any of these records and it is not up to us to decide what is 'sacrilege', don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean but we really do need to acknowledge that this stuff belongs to Black Americans ultimately and if any of them decide to work with IAN LEVINE or anybody else, doing covers, originals, whatever, it is their right to make that choice. The same goes for Black Soul Artists in the UK, as it goes.

As for the scene, no, it has survived for 40 odd years and it's not going be blown away by a CD, using the words 'northern Soul'. In fact, if anybody 'new' was to listen to this and become truly interested, logic dictates that they would eventually find their way to the original classics that you and every one of us cherish. So, in a way, does it really do much harm?thumbsup.gif

That's pretty much about it as far as I'm concerned too, well put.

Social source share

I am agreeing with loads you are saying chorleysoul, I wish I had your words. Seeing Willie Hutch etc. Sam Dees. ITS ALL ABOUT THE ARTISTS. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO RECORD IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO.

I hope for gods sake that they do not read these threads, because It would crucify me of I was one of the artists, listening to some of these so called 'experts' ripping all of

their recordings apart.

There are some very large chips on little shoulders on here.

Back on thread, this is the opener on the CD

Psmile.gif

Clever words don't make profound statements, mate. The heart and soul see with the eye of truth and you have nailed this subject bang on.

That is a very profound posting and not just because it agrees with some of what I have said.

In the real world, it is indeed THE ARTISTS THAT MATTER and perish the thought that some of them would absorb the spiteful bullshit that pours out from certain people on here.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I stand corrected sir, and I agree that these artists are allowed to do as they like with who they like. I have no objection to them reworking their work and have listened to the result with intrest. Unfortunatly for me it just doesn't work and certainly does not reflect the sound I was into back in the 70's 80's or now. I reserve the right not to buy this product and I won't.thumbsup.gif

Which of course is your right and it takes a man to write those words, in that manner.

All the bestthumbsup.gif

Social source share

sick of this sh*te

just had a pm passed on to me from a member

seems that ian levine is coming on here, reading this thread

then sending pm's out to people suggesting they post links to other sites to wind up certain posters in this thread

ian levine account suspended till discuss this over with rest of mod team

thread closed

Social source share