Chris Hamilton Vs Pierre Hunt - "got To Have Your Love"

Godzilla

I remember Pierre Hunt's "I've Got To Have Your Love" being a huge tune for a while around (I'd guess) '75/76. It was played all over the place and was booted quite quickly, as was the style at the time, as Homer's dad would say.

Last year I picked up Chris Hamilton's version on Bell. A 60s recording and therefore clearly earlier than Hunt's mid 70s cut. Thing is I never remember hearing the Hamilton version before. Ever.

Was it played anywhere? If so when and where? And while we're at it, which version does the panel prefer? If any of course :D

Pierre Hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOoCCQcgIjM

Chris Hamilton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZiMIvMQzI

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No Takers?

OK then. Obviously I can't comment on whether Chris Hamilton was played - hence the question. Can offer an opinion on the two version though: I prefer the music on Pierre Hunt - love that flute yes.gif - However his singing sounds like mine. Something to be avoided at all costs!

Hamilton's may not have the flute and the nice strings but at least the vocals are in tune. Anyone else have a view?

Social source share

I remember Pierre Hunt's "I've Got To Have Your Love" being a huge tune for a while around (I'd guess) '75/76. It was played all over the place and was booted quite quickly, as was the style at the time, as Homer's dad would say.

Last year I picked up Chris Hamilton's version on Bell. A 60s recording and therefore clearly earlier than Hunt's mid 70s cut. Thing is I never remember hearing the Hamilton version before. Ever.

Was it played anywhere? If so when and where? And while we're at it, which version does the panel prefer? If any of course biggrin.gif

Pierre Hunt

Chris Hamilton

In a word "yesitwas". Pendulem definitely and it was one of those tracks that was bubbling under but never really broke through around 73/74. Sure it got mentioned in some of those early club ads where you'd get HEAR and then a list of artists. I think most knew Pierre was a cover on first playing.

The arrangement and what sounds Gallic phrasing of the Hunt version adds an extra dimension but not one I'd like to be transported to by means of a wormhole opening in Clitheroe town centre and where I'd have to confront eldritch beings from the edge of time armed only with a Sainsbury's carrier bag as obviously whilst out shopping I leave my magic sword at home.

ROD

Social source share

Pierre Hunts version was the first to be played as far as I can remember. The first time I knew of the Chris Hamilton version was at a Notts Palais all dayer, someone played PH, and Rob Smith casually dropped into the conversation that he had the version by CH. I don't remember anyone but Rob playing it 'out' - but then i can't even remember what it sounds like.

Mind you he had done the same thing when Carl Henderson had been played "oh, I've got another version" he says - the Attractions as I recall - not the Sequins! Remember though, this is the guy who played Nabay for years in his warm up spots, only for it to be ingnored until Richard played it at Wigan - who knows what Rob has tucked away...

best,

RB

Social source share

Was it played anywhere? If so when and where? And while we're at it, which version does the panel prefer? If any of course biggrin.gif

Pierre Hunt

Chris Hamilton

Bell_663b_DJ.jpg

I bought this from Soul Bowl in the 70's & played it Locally at The Drum (Bentley) Doncaster amongst everything else that I was buying at the time.

Can't remember hearing it out, bought it blind at the time.

I prefer Chris Hamilton's Version, could be because that was the Version I heard first.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

In a word "yesitwas". Pendulem definitely and it was one of those tracks that was bubbling under but never really broke through around 73/74. Sure it got mentioned in some of those early club ads where you'd get HEAR and then a list of artists. I think most knew Pierre was a cover on first playing.

The arrangement and what sounds Gallic phrasing of the Hunt version adds an extra dimension but not one I'd like to be transported to by means of a wormhole opening in Clitheroe town centre and where I'd have to confront eldritch beings from the edge of time armed only with a Sainsbury's carrier bag as obviously whilst out shopping I leave my magic sword at home.

ROD

Cheers Rod. Slightly before my time then. I'm still a bit surprised I never heard it subsequently - or even at the time, particularly when there was a craze for playing different versions of popular tunes.

Didn't know his funny singing vocals were due to eating garlic though. Maybe all those curries explain my horrible singing. You learn something everyday yes.gif

Social source share

Can you and Rod go in a corner and sort this out Rich :)

I will meet the cur on the plains of Nightgaunt [exit 12 M62] armed with my fearsome weapon and wielding my magic sword, "Lil-Lets" [ forged by the elven smiths of Garbed but the bloodcurdling forgename loses something in translation from the original Garbedene] clad only in revealing leather body armour and topped off with a vermillion cloak made from the silk of the fanged Damehsi beast of the Southern Wastelands and a snip at £7.99 in the C&A sale.

Maybe we could go clubbing afterward.

I believe 45Cellar said he'd also heard Hamilton version first. That's 2-1 and so perhaps I will put aside the slur on my honour and reputation. Looks like rain here as well, and there's the ironing...

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Can you and Rod go in a corner and sort this out Rich laugh.gif

I am with Rod on this one, I got the C. H. one early 74, the P.H. is a 75 release.

Chris Hamilton is one of loads of good records that wasn't rare enough to be played at the big clubs at the time.

i.e. Little Jewel, Lenny Williams, Little Archie etc all being played out now, better late than never.

All played my me back in the day at the Legion, I might will add.whistling.gif

Social source share

Was it played anywhere? If so when and where? And while we're at it, which version does the panel prefer? If any of course :D

Pierre Hunt

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=iOoCCQcgIjM

Chris Hamilton

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=AyZiMIvMQzI

I love both versions, by the way.:thumbup:

Social source share

God that's shite, I don't remember it and I was at the Mecca most weeks.:)

Well that will be your brain protecting you Dave :P

Wasn't knocking Pierre Hunt completely either - like I said, I think the backing is great and it's a good dancer. Just wish a proper singer had done the vocal instead of Vic Reeves.

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

ROD

As usual Rod is correct. I remember Chris Hamilton as a VaVa, pre Wigan sound.

Concidently when I purchased it many moons ago I carried it home in a Sainsbury carrier bag, what are the chances of that????

Social source share

The days when I could be arsed to 'have a row' over a record are long gone chaps! One of the fascinating things about the scene in the 70's was the ability for a sound to be big in one place and unheard of elsewhere - and though some things hung around forever it seemed that unless there was an immediate reaction other things were dropped very quickly.

It's just one of those memory things as well I guess, I suspect, as I've not been active on the northern scene for at least 15 years the grey cells aren't doing the job they used too!

best,

RB

Social source share

The days when I could be arsed to 'have a row' over a record are long gone chaps! One of the fascinating things about the scene in the 70's was the ability for a sound to be big in one place and unheard of elsewhere - and though some things hung around forever it seemed that unless there was an immediate reaction other things were dropped very quickly.

It's just one of those memory things as well I guess, I suspect, as I've not been active on the northern scene for at least 15 years the grey cells aren't doing the job they used too!

best,

RB

Hey was only kidding Rich. None if it matters really anyway does it?

To prove the point I'd never heard it until last year but I apparently remember a Mecca record that wasn't even played there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey was only kidding Rich. None if it matters really anyway does it?

To prove the point I'd never heard it until last year but I apparently remember a Mecca record that wasn't even played there :thumbsup:

I can take the leather armour off then. It's chafing something awful and I shoulda looked where I'd put my horned helm before sitting down.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Perception

How do you tell a Pierre "wrong 'un"? SVP mon amies

Ca va Paul

The original Golden Wheels Pierre Hunt is on the Gold label, but it has a raised tread/grip round the label like the Silver label copy.

Most UK 60's/70's records have this tread round the label for grip.

Then it was booted on a Gold label, but no tread and the label tends to bubble off the record. They are all vinyl.

Social source share

Fence sitter! :D

Is there only me that finds Pierre's vocal a bit grating then?

No, I always found the vocal a bit wierd, even though I loved the song and the arrangement when I first heard it.

And I'd never heard the earlier version by Chris hamilton until recently.

Best regards,

Social source share

Yep, it was played at the Mecca around the same time........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Ahh the old "It was played at the Mecca..." card. You lot are not as quick when it's a pile of cack like the Toulouse record above are you?

No siree! It's all "I'm sure I don't remember that one" and "are you sure you heard it?"

Two words: Celi Bee :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ahh the old "It was played at the Mecca..." card. You lot are not as quick when it's a pile of cack like the Toulouse record above are you?

No siree! It's all "I'm sure I don't remember that one" and "are you sure you heard it?"

Two words: Celi Bee laugh.gif

It might well have been played at the Mecca, as Ian says, but I don't remember it from there.

I must have heard it somewhere to buy it back than.

P.S. it took me about about 10mins to do this post. it must be the wine.

Social source share

Two words: Celi Bee :laugh:

Pierre Hunt was played at the Mecca Godz - at the same time as,dare i say it ..........Felix Cavaliere.:laugh: .

Got a nice Bell issue of CH's version which i prefer.Pretty sure i heard this played at the Shopping Arcade,sorry! - Wigan.

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest Grapevine

...I've just heard the Hunt version on YouTube ...but see the Hamilton version has been removed there ...can anyone tell me if 'Chris' was male or female ...somehow I seem to have heard a female version?

smile.gif

Social source share

Six words: Celi Bee & The Buzzy Bunch.

How would you like it if you were, say, the bass player with the Buzzy Bunch and people kept truncating your one second of fame.????? :laugh:

Chris Hamilton was early Mecca not Disco era.....

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Bobby Hebb

George Blackwell

Gil Scott Heron

Pierre Hunt

Dillinger

Funkadelic

Roy Ayers

Stanley Clarke

& yes Celi Bee

Different times - Different music !!!

The Highland Room was a journey - which stop you got off at was up to you !!

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I am with Rod on this one, I got the C. H. one early 74, the P.H. is a 75 release.

Chris Hamilton is one of loads of good records that wasn't rare enough to be played at the big clubs at the time.

i.e. Little Jewel, Lenny Williams, Little Archie etc all being played out now, better late than never.

All played my me back in the day at the Legion, I might will add.whistling

I am with Rod & Dave Taylor on this...I left home in 74 and owned Chris Hamilton , had heard it out & about occasionally....I then heard Pierre Hunt in 75 at The Wirrina Peterborough and picked up a copy thereafter.

DF

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Can't believe all who have Chris Hamilton that they haven't mentioned the superb flip I've Got To Cry

Ok, starts off a bit kooky but after 30 seconds develops into one hellava soul record for those who like to listen soul without neccessarily wearing their dancing shoes.

Flip that sucker over

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I like both, but Perrie Hunt's was a big sound in the 70's, and it's the version I remember from Wigan, so it's a little bit more special to me!

Golden Wheels with gold label and tread, first issue.

Golden Wheels with silver label and tread, second issue.

Golden Wheels with gold badly stuck on label and no tread, bootleg.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert