Buyers Beware Very Cute Dealer

Kegsy

A mate of mine asked him to try and find him a copy

of In The Night By Ronnie Gallant.

Anyway after searching the net I found the tune

ordered it and paid by Paypal.

A week later the record arrives from Canada but

its not on the Original label but a reissuue

with George Freeman down & out on the flip.

On the Web Site in stated "Label - Original Version" yes Version.

When I contacted the seller he e-mailed me the following.

Dear Kevin

We sell original versions of records not particular pressings. The low price of a very rare record would indicative that it would be a reissue. If you wish to return record please do so but we cannot refund postage as our introduction to our catalogue clearly states original version not necessarily first pressing.

Very cute or what, anyway I told him to shove it and would put it down to experience.

The name of this dealer KOPSRECORDS some of you may know him.

Cheers

Kegsy

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dear Kevin

We sell original versions of records not particular pressings. The low price of a very rare record would indicative that it would be a reissue. If you wish to return record please do so but we cannot refund postage as our introduction to our catalogue clearly states original version not necessarily first pressing.

Very cute or what, anyway I told him to shove it and would put it down to experience.

Cheers

Kegsy

its martin koppel in canada, tim browns anglo american partner

Social source share

Dear Kevin

Cheers

Kegsy

I bought a copy of the stimulators warm summer nights for $10 off them from gemm once, ended up being the color wax boot, I emailed them and they said usually they were more careful to list whether it was an original or repress and apologized, I wrote it off since it was only $10. I recently met the producer of the record and gave it to him so that was kind of nice too that I had a copy to give away, but I didn't get a smartass reply at that time, they did say it was a mistake. at least their prices for cheap records (like the delfonics on philly groove) are truly cheap (like closer to $1) and are worth buying off them then buying them for like $10 apiece from places like craig moorer. I would also be careful and triple-check that a rare record is an original if the price is low.

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

I bought a copy of the stimulators warm summer nights for $10 off them from gemm once, ended up being the color wax boot, I emailed them and they said usually they were more careful to list whether it was an original or repress and apologized, I wrote it off since it was only $10. I recently met the producer of the record and gave it to him so that was kind of nice too that I had a copy to give away, but I didn't get a smartass reply at that time, they did say it was a mistake. at least their prices for cheap records (like the delfonics on philly groove) are truly cheap (like closer to $1) and are worth buying off them then buying them for like $10 apiece from places like craig moorer. I would also be careful and triple-check that a rare record is an original if the price is low.

Bought a major lance you dont want me know more years ago on ebay when photos were hardly ever used,matrix number matched every thing should have know it was too good to be true ,just blind to a bargin,moral read in between the lines,it usually is too good to be true.

Social source share

I would also be careful and triple-check that a rare record is an original if the price is low.

Trouble was i had no idea if the record was

rare or a cheapie. I have never heard it either,

plus its not listed in Manships book.

Kegsy

Social source share

Bought a major lance you dont want me know more years ago on ebay when photos were hardly ever used,matrix number matched every thing should have know it was too good to be true ,just blind to a bargin,moral read in between the lines,it usually is too good to be true.

Thats a bit different, everybody knows about the Okeh reissues

with the small 45 on them and would be suspicious.Although I have often wondered

why the small 45 Okeh records turn up in the

States as they were obviously pressed for the northern

market over here.

This wasnt even on the correct label but on

some repress label,Connoisseur, and did state "Original Version" in the

label part of the product description.If anyone would care to search GEMM

using "Ronnie Gallant" you will see exactly what I mean !.

Cheers

Kegsy

Social source share

he is a tosser plain and simple ,

in the past he has withdrawn items when I have bought them and they have been priced low,

and recently I bought a Ernestine Anderson on SUE,cheap at $30,....... ''youre not the guy for me'' which stated original but no label.....and guess what arrives..............a re-issue on SHERRY HILL records with Terry Collins on the flip,

he has too much history and knowledge for this not be done in a misleading way, he knows people who collect will always buy on the chance that ( somebody ) in the sellers office ''may'' have mispriced a record,

I have too much class to complain to him because of his returns policy and all the hassle, I just wont buy off him again,he wil lose out in the end.

F*** him,

Social source share

Sounds like Tim and co are getting led astray. This coupled with the Dewhirst scam, doesn't look good!

No scam. 90% of the people who got their records are delighted with them and very happy thanks very much. The only 'scam' bit was the fact that Tim wanted to be anonymous which was his right if he wanted to. The only people who weren't happy were James T who cancelled what would have been a bargain purchase and Boba who was happy to pay the price quoted until James T kicked off. A lot of people have records that they wanted and are still requesting further titles.

Ian D

Social source share

The view from a not very experienced purchaser. I am fully aware of buyer beware. I try to do some homework where I can.

I read the listing. If it says Original and states LABEL I expect and Original on correct LABEL.

I have lobbied ebay hard for a selection in the 45s section along these lines

- Original Release 100% Guaranteed Full Refund If Not

- Believed Original Release, But Not Full Verified

- 2nd Issue

- Reissue / Press

- Unknown

[These categories weren't the ones and you can prob use / think of better ones]

To force the seller to nail himself to the mast. That way there's no doubt whats being said. Any misrepresentation then = full refund or you know what your buying.

Ebay didnt want to restrict sellers. More like restrict listings and income lol

If I think some one is dishonest and the trust is broken I just wont deal with them ever again and I wont recommend them.

Its got to be a short term option surely, with the power of the net.................

PS These are more general comments as I haven't dealt with KOPS directly, certainly recently...........

Social source share

On the question of Kop's, I was there last week, see my post re. the Roy Hamilton bootleg (as i now find out). I also bought a copy of Basic, Black and Pearl - There'll Come A Time - Wam but it was only $5.99, it was not priced the same as all his other stuff so I thought somebody might have made a mistake.

Does anyone know if this has been "booted"? His selection is a pale shadow of what it used to be, lots of boots, pressings, re-issues etc and the stock doesnt seem to change much from one month to the next.

Social source share

he is a tosser plain and simple ,

in the past he has withdrawn items when I have bought them and they have been priced low,

and recently I bought a Ernestine Anderson on SUE,cheap at $30,....... ''youre not the guy for me'' which stated original but no label.....and guess what arrives..............a re-issue on SHERRY HILL records with Terry Collins on the flip,

he has too much history and knowledge for this not be done in a misleading way, he knows people who collect will always buy on the chance that ( somebody ) in the sellers office ''may'' have mispriced a record,

I have too much class to complain to him because of his returns policy and all the hassle, I just wont buy off him again,he wil lose out in the end.

F*** him,

I fell into the same trap Jeff---advertised as being a SUE dj it was nothing of the sort---he must have known

Robbing B*****D

Hope i get to F**k him first

Social source share

On the question of Kop's, I was there last week, see my post re. the Roy Hamilton bootleg (as i now find out). I also bought a copy of Basic, Black and Pearl - There'll Come A Time - Wam but it was only $5.99, it was not priced the same as all his other stuff so I thought somebody might have made a mistake.

Does anyone know if this has been "booted"? His selection is a pale shadow of what it used to be, lots of boots, pressings, re-issues etc and the stock doesnt seem to change much from one month to the next.

its the Canadian issue

Social source share

I fell into the same trap Jeff---advertised as being a SUE dj it was nothing of the sort---he must have known

Robbing B*****D

Hope i get to F**k him first

Martin might have changed over the years but I went over to Canada 3 times in the mid 80s with a couple of mates specifically to go to his shop in Toronto, a real treasure trove. We were treated real well including 3 of us spending 3 nights at his house going through the stacks of records in his basement and listening to stuff from his private collection which was awesome. He drove us to Niagara Falls and introduced us to other dealers. We bought loads of stuff at very decent prices inc Reatha Reese & Matthew Barnett + loads of R&B, Latin etc. Thene we went to his warehouse!! The only downside was being at his house at 9 in the morning watching Liverpool lose the FA cup to Wimbledon.

Social source share

Martin might have changed over the years but I went over to Canada 3 times in the mid 80s with a couple of mates specifically to go to his shop in Toronto, a real treasure trove. We were treated real well including 3 of us spending 3 nights at his house going through the stacks of records in his basement and listening to stuff from his private collection which was awesome. He drove us to Niagara Falls and introduced us to other dealers. We bought loads of stuff at very decent prices inc Reatha Reese & Matthew Barnett + loads of R&B, Latin etc. Thene we went to his warehouse!! The only downside was being at his house at 9 in the morning watching Liverpool lose the FA cup to Wimbledon.

Was there a couple of years ago - a complete waste of time - shop had nothing of any merit in it at all.. Some kid behind the counter not interested (might be Martins?).

As for people thinking they're going to get real bargains off of North American dealers in this day and age - come on fellas!!!

However he does however sound like he needs to sort himself out, or risk being tarnished a rip off merchant.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

its the Canadian issue

Yeah. I know it is the Canadian issue. I was VERY surprised to find it in Kop's for $5.99C. This made we wonder if it had been pressed as a Canadian issue.

The shop is pretty poor now and the last time I was there I complained about the Gangsta Rap one of the muppets was blasting out. The Northern stuff is now pretty non-existent. There is probaly 50 boxes of Soul but it is mainly all mainstream stuff.

Do any of you blokes go out to Henry's in Scarborough, I have found some nice stuff there but, again, there is a lot of mainstream stuff to wade through.

By the way, the kids in Kop's are just employees not relatives, my son has just moved to Toronto and he has put his resume in there (you never know). Some years ago they had a slightly older bloke there who used to let me look at the boxes that were going to ship to Anglo.

By the way, where is his warehouse?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!