Upthejunction

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi All,

What's the best way, and safest of removing sticker residue following removal of a sticker on record labels ?.

Thanks in advance Stevethumbsup.gif

Best way i have found if the glue is still fairly tacky is get a small piece of blue tac, roll it in a ball and just keep pressing it lightly onto the glue several times until the residue comes off. Just be careful not to press too hard otherwise you could crack the record. This will not work on old dried glue and have'nt found anything that does. Good luck, Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

Petrol Lighter Fluid - it's what we have always used in the design business (where cut and paste artwork meant we had to do A LOT of this). You don't need to rub (which may damage the paper surface and ink) just soak it well and dab it away with a tissue.

Lighter fuel is also fab for degreasing/removing finger prints off records - and doesn't touch the vinyl (be wary of using on EmiDiscs/Acetates though).

DON'T use TCE / Genclean though as it's an ink solvent (think it's now banned anyway).

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

At first, try to gather up as much of the residue as you can into a little ball. Just keep working it from all directions and pull it up from the middle. Just keep repeating that process until you can't gather any more. With whatever is left, pull just a smudge of forehead grease with your finger and rub it in. Your skin oils will release whatever is left and it should rub right off. I know it sounds really weird and kind of gross, but trust me-it works!

For labels with sort of a gloss finish, like ABC Paramount issues, this is a no-brainer, but be careful with some record labels that have a very dull/matte finish. Sometimes the paper is thin enough to tear so you have to be careful. Sometimes, if the residue is close enough to the center hole, I just keep rubbing the residue in that direction to actually run it off the record entirely.

For more delicate situations like those tiny number stickers that go on like a postage stamp or stickers stuck to labels that might tear, your best bet is to lick your finger and keep rubbing the sticker until you break the surface of the sticker itself and make it rough enough to just rub away. Keep wetting the sticker and rubbing it until it reduces to nothing. Eventually, you'll break through to the record label without having picked anything away and you'll get away without tearing it.

If you have clear cello tape, I'd say don't even attempt to remove it. If it's crusty and brittle, it just might lift right off.

Hope this information helps!

-Jason

Social source share

You can try a weak white spirit solution this will work on the record,on the kitchen window car polish,If that dont work try Acetone (nail varnish remover)

Kev.

White spirit is in fact a light oil and as such can leabe grease stains. Acetone is also a solvent to printing ink so is a no-no.

Dave

Social source share

I've also heard about the lighter fluid being the best to remove this and stickers, but the two times I've tried it, it didn't work. Conclusion: use it if you're smarter than me (wich is very likely).

Social source share

You have to give the lighter fuel time to work. try soaking it for several minutes. glossy stickers can take a little longer. if you can lift the edges and pour some fluid under the sticker it usually works faster. then clean up the residue with more lighter fluid and a tissue or soft cloth.

some stickers are water based glue and won't come off with lighter fluid. you will have to use a drop of water to soften the glue then wipe the residue quickly with a damp cloth. some permanent stickers just don't come off. goo-gone might work but i wouldn't use it on a record or label.

Social source share

White spirit is in fact a light oil and as such can leabe grease stains. Acetone is also a solvent to printing ink so is a no-no.

Dave

Dave,

I wouldnt let Acetone around any plastics,I was on about cleaning the lable off the window.

I used to use Acetone by the 1000lts making up paints,if you want headaches use Acetonesad.gif

Kev.

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Try 'Goo Gone' good.gif

That's the way. Apply a few drops, let it sit there a bit, sop it up with some tissue, and repeat. Lighter fluid dries on contact and is good for loosening the sticker but not nearly as good at removing the residual stickiness. Lighter fluid should not, imo, ever come into contact with grooves.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!