Papa Bear & Cubs Record Bar Gossip

Overheard at the Greatstone recently when Keith Money was DJing as Papa Bear & Cubs "You're so fine" on SMS was played -

"Butch had 30 copies of this last year and was selling them for £8, Soul Sam just paid £1200 for a copy".

Whether any of these statements are true I don't know but I love this record bar grapevine gossip. This is the stuff myths & legends are made of...

derek

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Overheard at the Greatstone recently when Keith Money was DJing as Papa Bear & Cubs "You're so fine" on SMS was played -

"Butch had 30 copies of this last year and was selling them for £8, Soul Sam just paid £1200 for a copy".

Whether any of these statements are true I don't know but I love this record bar grapevine gossip. This is the stuff myths & legends are made of...

derek

link

I'd have to say bollox to that first bit. It was a £200 tune last year so I doubt that Butch would have knocked out 30 copies @ £8 a pop when he could have dripped them out @ £200. Besides has Butch ever sold anything for £8?

Jordi

Social source share

I'd have to say bollox to that first bit. It was a £200 tune last year so I doubt that Butch would have knocked out 30 copies @ £8 a pop when he could have dripped them out @ £200. Besides has Butch ever sold anything for £8?

Jordi

link

Gotta agree with the first comment, been at least that price for couple of years....gone through the roof last 12 months or so. Did hear he had quantity though..now all gone.

Social source share

derek

link

Fab record I must admit, anyone got a mp3? :wicked:

Social source share

Got mine from Dear Glove a few years ago - it was a front page focus job @ £6 for one week only. I think he had about 6-8 copies, and they flew out the door.

Sam did pay a lot for his copy, but if I was a betting man I'd suspect "trades" more than "cash"....

Social source share

I asked about this record last year and it was said to be obscure but no more than £100 and that Various people could get me a copy. Good Record which Keith plays on a regular basis. £1200 I dont think so unless Sam has had a lobotomy! Who Knows

link

I think it was me that said I could get one Steve... The guy who was selling wanted £180 but it went shortly after I was told about it. I'd have had it for myself if I had known it back then but only heard if fgor the forst time about 2 months ago. Aggree with all comment a superb record :ohmy: ...but £1200, Really? I don't think so.... :P

Social source share

I asked Butch about it when I got back from Prestatyn earlier this year and he replied something like "It is a weak ballad/general soul tune, can't see why anyone would want it. Last copy I had I think I sold for £75 or something some time back". I told him it was not a ballad and he seemed a bit puzzled. So much for your bar gossip I guess... Pleasant tune but it sounded better out I think.

Social source share

£1200 I dont think so unless Sam has had a lobotomy! Who Knows

link

I know :D All those who are saying it's not worth the figures quoted, when and if you find one I'll take it at your valuation beer.gif I know at least 4 others who would pay a grand now biggrin.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I was told that Mr Rosen was sitting on quantity of this 45..

Its not  all its cracked up to be IMO

Very mediocre and goes nowhere.

Not a Grands worth in my book.but I buy shite anyway,..

the gasher

link

Might be mediocre Gash but certainly having an effect on the dancefloors...must have something going for it :D

Social source share

This is certainly one of those 45s that sound a lot better out loud than at home. Not worth the money people are paying for it at the moment.

link

I'd be inclined to agree with you but people are paying it and others are willing to pay it so who's right?

Social source share

Guest hammy

It's another example of what's great/crazy/unique/bizarre about the scene. To my ears there's NOTHING in that record which stands out as 'remarkable'. The band sound like they've just been introduced - but someone obviously likes it and it's obviously ,er, 'worth' 1200 because someone's willing to pay it!

Hammy

Social source share

Thats what I was hoping cos it didn't sound up to much on the soundbyte put up.

Girf

link

It does sound a lot better played out. But £1000+ seems a crazy price though.

Like Steve G i payed £6 for it off Rod Dearlove a few years back (wished i`d bought 2 now !).

Girth,i`ll play it next wednesday at a "New Chapter" so you can make up your own mind.

Mark H

Social source share

It does sound a lot better played out. But  £1000+ seems a crazy price though.

Like Steve G i payed £6 for it off Rod Dearlove a few years back (wished i`d bought 2 now !).

Girth,i`ll play it next wednesday at  a "New Chapter" so you can make up your own mind.

Mark H

link

That man Butch knows :D

Social source share

It does sound a lot better played out. But  £1000+ seems a crazy price though.

Girth,i`ll play it next wednesday at  a "New Chapter" so you can make up your own mind.

Mark H

link

A case of demand and it being one of the current "in" sounds falsly inflating the price. Can think of many records that used to cost little that now command silly prices..Four Tracks, Karmello Brooks, Tangeers......

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I just like the fact that soulsters are dancing to it even though it sounds as though the band are using a Bontempi and the begining sounds similar to "devilgate drive" I do like it though :Dlaugh.gif

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I just like the fact that soulsters are dancing to it even though it sounds as though the band are using a Bontempi and the begining sounds similar to "devilgate drive" I do like it though  sleep3.gif   sleep3.gif

link

I thought the start sounds like "shang a lang" or one by the Glitter Band :D

Maybe we should have a vote - Suzi Quatro, Bay City Rollers or The Glitter Band laugh.gif

soulmac.

Social source share

I thought the start sounds like "shang a lang" or one by the Glitter Band  :thumbsup:

Maybe we should have a vote - Suzi Quatro, Bay City Rollers or The Glitter Band  :lol:

soulmac.

link

Very surprised by you not liking it John, thought that would have been right up your street whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert