100 Club 30Th Anniversary - 5 September 2009

Geoff

Am I the first person to surface after the allnighter? Probably because I haven't been to bed.

A 30th anniversary of anything is pretty good, and when it's a club that is devoted to a style of music which is, let's be honest, a fairly minority taste, I think it's great going.

As someone who has only been attending for a comparatively short time, due to not knowing about it in the past, and more recently due to domestic circumstances I thought last night's was the best I've attended.

It was rammed full of people, all out for a good time, the atmosphere was magic, and the music really superb.

My first port of call was the Blue Posts where I was to meet a colleague from work who was attending. The usual suspects were having a drink, and after a quick one we went to the club.

After picking up our anniversary singles, my friend and I headed to the bar. The club was already filling up. Roger Stewart was doing the business with a nice set of classic sounds.

There were a lot of my friends from all over the country there, good to see them all. It was particularly nice to meet Sarah, Toby's new friend, what a really nice lady; I hope you enjoyed your first visit to the 100 Club and that we'll all see much more of you.

I think it was Keith Money who followed Roger, remember him playing Karmello Brooks but already the dance floor was very busy. Then Butch followed playing his usual eclectic set, including his current biggie Salt and Pepper (hope I've spelt that right) singing I'm A Man Of My Word, which has grown on me as I've heard it a few times.

Mick Smith was next and then Ady himself playing some big records from the 100 Club's past, including Ben E King's Getting To Me and Sammy Ambrose's Welcome To Dreamsville.

All this time the dance floor was absolutely chockablock, a DJ's dream.

Then it was Keith, got me out there for a couple of tracks but space was very limited. Did Roger follow Keith, not sure as I was talking to friends a lot of the time?

Butch took over and started off with one of my favourites, the Saints' I'll Let You Slide. His set included Tommy & The Derbys' Don't Play The Role, Sha La La by Mixed Feelings and the alternate version of Just Like The Weather. Also he played another one I particularly like: the Barons Of Soul's You Need Love, a great track imo. He also played quite a few I've heard before but whose titles and artistes I don't know.

Mick Smith was on next again, played some good tracks including the Utopias' Girls Are Against Me and Shirley Edwards' Dream My Heart, I agree with his comment that he thought that was the best Shrine record ever.

For the last half hour or so Ady finished the night off. He played some slower tracks first of all including Annabelle Fox's Lonely Girl, surely the best Dionne Warwick record that Dionne didn't record. Thanks to him for playing Kenny Carter's What That On Your Finger, one I'd mentioned to him the previous month.

Finally the last record was played, the Four Tops' anthemic Baby I Need Your Loving, one of the greatest records ever. Time to go home. Though the numbers had thinned there were still plenty of people there, a testament to the quality of the night.

The only downer of the evening was a guy who towards the end of the evening decided to throw himself around the dance floor, knocking into people. It's only good manners to be a little restrained when space is at a premium. Still I suppose there's always got to be one.

Thanks to Ady and all involved for a great night, long may the 6Ts nights continue.

• Replies 81
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mrs Simsy

Wow, what a superb night!:thumbsup:

The atmosphere was brilliant, lots of smiling faces, cheesy grins & belly laughs from all 4 corners. Lovely to see so many people. I won't name names as too many to mention.:thumbsup: Must say though, was great to be reunited with Aunty Ganche!:thumbsup: We did have a giggle!

Got down there about 10 & the place was filling up nicely, got my anniversary single-thanks Ady- & set about enjoying myself.good.gif

It was boiling hot down there so followed the pattern of a lot of people, 2/3 dances & outside to cool down!laugh.gif

That was my 3rd anniversary do & i think the best i've been to on atmosphere alone. Started to flag about 5am (very unlike me!:D) so had to slope off home to catch some :sleep3:The dancefloor was still in full swing when we left but i didn't want to do 'a Tabs' & fall asleep at the table so we had to leave them to it.laugh.gif

Congratulations to 6T's, as Geoff mentioned 30 years is a great achievement. Here's to the next 30!:thumbup:

well it was my first soul outing of any kind in yonks and i thoroughly enjoyed myself....had a scream with mr rimmer people watching.....and on that note......how big a trendsetter is that Mr Money ??? and where can i get a flowery toiletries bag like that???...i need to know now before they sell out ...you know what its like....big name dj totes one....up goes the price..... :D

was a great nite and a credit to ade for keeping on keeping on for so long.....i particularly enjoyed Mr Moneys second set ( this was after he was spotted with the flowery washbag..have i mentioned that already?)....

:thumbup: ...cookie

particularly enjoyed Keith Money's set around 3:30am, certainly appreciated the stage to help rest my weary legs which wilted in the heat (thankfully not as hot as last year but that basement certainly gets hot when its that packed). The begging Romanians outside on Oxford St whilst we took a breathier didnt go down too well especially when the bloke seemed to be wearing designer jeans & his Mrs a Lambretta hoody ! My 3 young kids got a few choice words when trying to wake me at 9am. The when i got up my Mrs nearly gave me a cardiac telling me my 2yr old had broken my anniversary single, "only joking" was met by more expletives.

Many thanks to Ady & everyone else involved for entertaining us all for so many years.

Guest Leona M

Finally regained enough coordination to write something :thumbup: ........!!!

What a fantastic night....... hot, sweaty & thoroughly enjoyable... (although the many layers I was wearing didn't seem quite such a good idea at about 2am!?!)

From first to last it was superb....... great to see so many friends under one roof & once again a packed dancefloor all night........ (testament to the quality vinyl that we were all still going at the end, despite the dancefloor feeling like a cobbled street coated in treacle by that time :D

Well done Ady & co and roll on the next 30 years....

AdiW

Super night

and wor lass and myself sat and breathed in the atmosphere as 100 club Anniversary nights are all about,

Music

People,

The Venue

the changing Audience and as I have only been going for 16 years still a youngster ,they have changed and got better

The Class DJ'S(Dont tell Mick Smith) he thinks we all only go to see him wherever he is (sometimes true)

but not last night as Smithy said the (Governer)Ady a force as a Dj and entertainer to be reckoned with and a credit (To the Scene we call soul music)

Keith Money great stuff big mon,

Butch again Smithy accolades him as a breathe of fresh air on the scene and a breath of soul music as fresh and as exhilirating as ever.

Roger played a cracking bunch of sounds for one and all,

Mr Smith himself soberish and spinning audience enjoyment all the way(charge for previous statement between me and Smithy)

seriously the best Annivesary gig we have been to,

Except the night Ady Chucked me on the dex to do a warm up spot

hasnt had me back yet though

(KEEP TRYING)

one day

great night super music and great people

Just a brilliant night at the 100 , so many great people in one room , enjoying the legacy of Northern /Rare Soul .Probably more oldies played than usual , but they were great ones , some real stand outs by Mick from the start of the night .Haven't danced so much ever and didn't tire at all .Will remember this particular night for years to come , thanks Ady and all the other DJ's ,best ,Eddie

Congratulations again Ady - 30years is some feat!

Great to be down in London at the '100 Club' again and good to see a few old friends - Lenny Dobson, Toby, Steve L, Dean Anderson, Warren, Bully, Phil Rains etc.. to name a few..

Also great to see also so many people shaking hands and saying hello to Rico Thompson of the 'Ballads' [** "Can't see my love (for the tears in my eyes)" being their best known Northern outing]. What a great friendly guy who stayed on till gone 4am and just kept saying how overwhelmed he was with the friendliness and interest towards him whilst at the 100 Club.

** Sound File Link here: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/soul-library/the-ballads-i-cant-see-your-love-for-the-tears-in-my-eyes-part-1

Thanks again to everyone for making it a great night,

Ray Mahoney

A stormer and no mistake, altho' most of my night was given over to too much verbal at the bar droning on to anyone that would listen about records I don't know or own (no change there then) whilst splashing Stella all over the gazelles instead of grooving I did get out and do a bit of damage on the floor at the back end of the night.

Oldies all the way and theres nothing wrong with that, it had a bit of a 'Sunday night at Cleggers' vibe about it.

The scene is lucky to have this place.

Thanks Ady,

Jimthumbsup.gif

What a great night was had by all. Actually, as I have discussed with my best bud Jim Elliott on numerous ocassions, I do wonder if people of my generation realise just quite what we owe to Mr Croasdell.....let alone 30 years of perhaps the finest nighter ever, imagine early teenage years without the rants of Harboro Horace...no, I consider myself to have been a lucky man to have had 22 years of the 100 Club nighters and long may it continue.

Ady, I take my hat of to you

Congratulations again Ady - 30years is some feat!

Great to be down in London at the '100 Club' again and good to see a few old friends - Lenny Dobson, Toby, Steve L, Dean Anderson, Warren, Bully, Phil Rains etc.. to name a few..

Also great to see also so many people shaking hands and saying hello to Rico Thompson of the 'Ballads' [** "Can't see my love (for the tears in my eyes)" being their best known Northern outing]. What a great friendly guy who stayed on till gone 4am and just kept saying how overwhelmed he was with the friendliness and interest towards him whilst at the 100 Club.

** Sound File Link here: https://www.soul-sour...-my-eyes-part-1

Thanks again to everyone for making it a great night,

Ray Mahoney

Ray , completely agree - what a stunning nite . Friday it was a bit 'will i , can i , can't ' in so far as getting there on Sat nite - but it all worked out brill in the end - quick drink at Blue Posts , 2nd in the queue outside the club , quick shake of hands with Ady and then down those hallowed steps for an awesome evening that flew - such was the quality and great comany . As expected it was rammed - hence we never bumped into each other .

NORTH YORKSHIRE SOUL CLUB @ THE MAGNIFICENT RILEY SMITH HALL.

TADCASTER nr YORK, SAT 17th OCTOBER

MAIN BALL ROOM (reputedly largest wooden sprung dance floor in England ) & UPSTAIRS RARE SOUL ROOM.

DJs

PAT BRADY, MARIA WILLINGHAM & GUEST, STEVE GAINEY, EDDIE WAINWRIGHT, TONY HATFIELD, JOHN PARKER , COLIN WOOD, ANDY BELLWOOD,

MARTYN BYRD & DALE BYERS

FURTHER INFO, REVIEWS, PHOTOS ETC

https://www.imonmyway.me.uk/

(All dayer Saturday 19th December)

Guest James Trouble

Yes what a great night Adey you deserve every bit of it.Music on fire for the most part.Me head nearly fell off when Butch played that alt take of the John Bowie Merben outing,flippin loved it regards Gilly and Nicola

Aye Gilly, that John Mowie really f(U)cked my head up as well. Funk version of the northern classic. What a way to finish a killer set. Left a kind of "this is more of what you could be having if I had another hour behind the decks instead of having my set cut short (again)"

Killer night all round. Really special. Glad to be able to report that Keith's taste in records is better than his taste in ties :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Guest Andy Kempster

oh my god

i repeat

oh my god!

i have been to only 3 anniversary nights now and the last time i visited the 100 club was for the xmas party last year

this was without a doubt the BEST nighter I have ever been to and will stay as a very fond memory for the rest of my born days

the night ticked all the boxes

great company (tobes, mel and sarah, geoff et al)

fantastic music

and the most bang up for it crowd i have ever had the honour to be a part of

PLEASE SIR CAN I HAVE SOME MORE?

Edited by Andy Kempster

A fantastic night, right from the first bell with Mick Smith, top tunes played by all djs all night, lasted till 5 am as the heat was making the missus a bit woozie (would have nothing to do with all the booze she had of course!) and to top it off a free 45 which is of the highest order,

Well done Ady and the crew,

Lenny

Best night i've had at the 100 for some time....the John Bowie funk acetate was the record of the night by far....an amazing track. Where does it end though? A crossover version of the Tamangoes? A 1976 cut of The Parliaments? The mind boggles!!!

The single is one of the best so far imho as well, mainly for the Larry Banks & Jaibi side.....big thanks to Ady for putting that on there.....great to have the new Jackie Day on the flip as well.

If I was wearing a hat I'd be taking it off to Ady - fantastic night. Loads of quality sounds, friendly people, and lots and lots of laughs. My feet like two plates of chopped liver, head like a shed, aches and pains where i never knew I had muscles and to top it off Rimmer shouting at me everytime I fell asleep on the way home.....you know, helpful things like "Denise, we are on the M1 now, wake up!!!" shout.gifclosedeyes.gif Great to see y'all. Thanks to Johnny boy spaghetti for the lift.:thumbsup:

Best night i've had at the 100 for some time....the John Bowie funk acetate was the record of the night by far....an amazing track. Where does it end though? A crossover version of the Tamangoes? A 1976 cut of The Parliaments? The mind boggles!!!

The single is one of the best so far imho as well, mainly for the Larry Banks & Jaibi side.....big thanks to Ady for putting that on there.....great to have the new Jackie Day on the flip as well.

:ohmy: , i'm going to have to wait till LL to hear this i guess?.

Brilliant night brilliant atmosphere full of happy smiling people brilliant Anniversay record thumbup.gif

well done and congratulations Ady on 30 years thumbup.gif

more later when me head gets back in motion 6.gif

Forgot to mention on a more personal note how nice it was to bump into some old friends that i hav'nt seen in a long time, nice one Chad, Kev Moore and the ( skinhead ) guy whoes name escapes me reminding me of some records i sold him many years ago good to see you and thanks. Kind regards Gilly and Nicola

Guest goodysoul

Was a superb night as usual, few more oldies played than usual but it was still a top night. Great spots by all djs, but it was butch that did it for me. Well done on 30 years Ady and good luck to the next 30 we hope. Was great atmosphere top people and top anniversary tune which i can not stop playing.x

I must have missed the John Bowie.........but is it the alternate take without the strings & backing vocals ????.......its just a demo of the original if thats the case, as opposed to a 'funk' take.......tis great if thats the one, sounds earlier & much more deep & moody !!!.

BTW did anyone make a recording of the night...........I'd be very happy to pay for a copy of the soundfile or disc.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers

I must have missed the John Bowie.........but is it the alternate take without the strings & backing vocals ????.......its just a demo of the original if thats the case, as opposed to a 'funk' take.......tis great if thats the one, sounds earlier & much more deep & moody !!!.

BTW did anyone make a recording of the night...........I'd be very happy to pay for a copy of the soundfile or disc.

Russ

It was awsome Russ and certainly had everyone turning their heads and having a good ol chin stroke good.gif

Russ

Hey Russ, i don't think it was a pared down version, the beat and production were totally different as far as i was remember.....sure there was an organ in it too?

Could be wrong as i was pretty hammered?!

:D

Great night....... love the single especially "My Life Is No Better" Larry Banks & Jaibi, been played quite a few times today. Will put some pics up later. We had a horrendous journey back to Scotland, signal trouble and were delayed on the tracks for 3 1/2 hours .... then our connection from Edinburgh to Dundee was cancelled meaning the next train was filled to capacity with other travellers and students returing to Uni..... myself Keith and Sandra eventually got home at 9.30pm....... but it was worth it. Well done Ady & the gang for making this a night to remember.

Philly

Glad to be able to report that Keith's taste in records is better than his taste in ties :lol:

Ah yes, but record collectors often have other 'quirky' collections and Keith's is vintage ties. At least that's how he explained it to me :lol:

I didn't get to my first 100 Club until 1996 when I first visited the UK, then 2nd time for my second UK visit in 1999, then 3rd time for my longer 3rd visit....

but I know many who had the longeivity, found the night a very emotional experience and there were some tears.

Mixed in with that, were the younger and more recent attendees who regularly came along and threw themselves open to the passion and music of the 100 club - and they were just as keen to celebrate. Even the ceiling was so happy that it cried when things really took off in the steamy room.

Obviously the 30th anniversary was going to be great and many stayed until the end. Having Rico there was a lovely added surprise and once someone mentioned he was in attendance, I sought him out and inflicted myself on the poor man for some time :D

Happy Anniversary to Ady - and all involved :ohmy: .

m

A big big thanks must go to Ady C well done mate and also to all invovled in making this a memorable night thanks everyone.

A first ever visit to the 100 club for Sarah (Halifax) and boy what a night to pick at one stage she had a tear in her her eye saying that she was overwhelmed by it all,the club , the music,the people,and the special gift the anniversary cd signed by all the DJs to mark the occasion..THANKYOU.

A storming night it was full of friends old and new with outstanding music ALL night that made me proud to be a part of this scene,even after all these years of doing 6Ts events i still got that buzz going down them stairs.

Well done Ady C and to Kent records...heres to a few more years to come.

Toby.

What a great night was had by all. Actually, as I have discussed with my best bud Jim Elliott on numerous ocassions, I do wonder if people of my generation realise just quite what we owe to Mr Croasdell.....let alone 30 years of perhaps the finest nighter ever, imagine early teenage years without the rants of Harboro Horace...no, I consider myself to have been a lucky man to have had 22 years of the 100 Club nighters and long may it continue.

Ady, I take my hat of to you

Was a special night, a couple of emotional points for me, but not for this thread. Everyone has their own personal connection with the 100 Club and that's what makes it so special. Longevity gives it that extra - It just don't happen over night.

Len.

Ps - The reserved tables - nice touch. Nina enjoyed her 40th exactly as planned - In the same place as her 16th!

Edited by LEN

100% agreement with what been said so far. A truly brilliant night I'll never forget. Met a few faces I haven't seen for ages and met many a new faces. I had a fantastic night and I sincerly hope I hadn't bored or upset anyone with my drivel. Sorry, no name dropping (you know who you are wink.gif )

Music was excellent all the time, early 6Ts classics, mid tempo, mega rarities, true Northern oldies, crossover, 70s. You name it, they played it. The one track that stuck with me was Shirley Edwards on Shrine, one of my alltime favourite.

The whole 25h trip was definitely worth it, starting with the Yorkshire brewed organic wheat beer at the Blue Post right to the boiling hot coffee at McDonalds after the dance (my tongue is still numb wanker.gif )

Last but not least: quote of the night" Hi, I'm Joe Dunlop. I'm fu**in wasted.."

Edited by Benji
Guest sarahleen

A big big thanks must go to Ady C well done mate and also to all invovled in making this a memorable night thanks everyone.

A first ever visit to the 100 club for Sarah (Halifax) and boy what a night to pick at one stage she had a tear in her her eye saying that she was overwhelmed by it all,the club , the music,the people,and the special gift the anniversary cd signed by all the DJs to mark the occasion..THANKYOU.

A storming night it was full of friends old and new with outstanding music ALL night that made me proud to be a part of this scene,even after all these years of doing 6Ts events i still got that buzz going down them stairs.

Well done Ady C and to Kent records...heres to a few more years to come.

Toby.

to quote andyk123

"oh my god

oh my god "

oh my god

i dont know much but i know one thing . the stuff that poured out of those speakers relentlessly in a club where EVERYBODY was dancing was something thats left me gobsmacked (lost for words ohmy.gif ) ! and in feel so lucky to have been there . thankyou toby for everything and everyone i met . and what a warm welcome .

absolute 1st class music . i will treasure the memory and my cd and single forever , awesome

Edited by sarahleen

100% agreement with what been said so far. A truly brilliant night I'll never forget. Met a few faces I haven't seen for ages and met many a new faces. I had a fantastic night and I sincerly hope I hadn't bored or upset anyone with my drivel. Sorry, no name dropping (you know who you are wink.gif )

Music was excellent all the time, early 6Ts classics, mid tempo, mega rarities, true Northern oldies, crossover, 70s. You name it, they played it. The one track that stuck with me was Shirley Edwards on Shrine, one of my alltime favourite.

The whole 25h trip was definitely worth it, starting with the Yorkshire brewed organic wheat bear at the Blue Post right to the boiling hot coffee at McDonalds after the dance (my tongue is still numb wanker.gif )

Last but not least: quote of the night" Hi, I'm Joe Dunlop. I'm fu**in wasted.."

Nah, the quote of the night came from Mick Smith just before the doors were opened.

"Taff, get me a shandy, more lemonade than beer though"

I happened to be walking past at the time, so I quickly responded to him with "You big southern shandy drinking poof". Mick had no answer !

Started my night off with a laugh anyway.

Keith Money kept that going when he walked past us carrying a very fetching flowered wash bag. He then got the imitation typewriters from me and Cookie everytime he walked past, not that we were implying that it would get mentioned on here....... I will say this, a Scotsman pleading sounds remarkably like the bagpipes :boxing:

Best allnighter for atmosphere I've been to in ages, party time, and everyone was up for it! Loads of people who I haven't seen in a while (So why not turn up next month as well eh fellas, I will), and a heaving dancefloor right through to the end.

Congratulations to Ady, and all the DJs, you were as much a part of that atmosphere as all the people there. The music, as with all 100 Club Anniversaries was more Oldies than usual, but weren't they great Oldies as well. I'm also really pleased that the Larry Banks & Jaibi finally made it to vinyl :lol:(For those that don't know Ady very kindly gave me a cut of this two years ago and I've played it in loads of DJ spots since) It really is a superb tune though.

I've been trying to work out which was the first anniversary I went to at the 100 Club, and I've narrowed it down to the 11th I think, so next year will be my 20th anniversary. The 100 Club, is still the top allnighter in the world.

Thanks for all the very kind comments, it was an extremely successful night but unless I'm told, I can never quite work out how good it really was. I was too hot, bothered and old to really appreciate it until the last half hour (a bit like Cleethorpes really) when everyone was so positive, friendly and even dare I say it, loving. That made it forever memorable to me along with the collection of 100 Clubbers old, new, regular and occasional; all were fully appreciated on a night like that.

I'm very pleased the single has been so welcomed and don't worry I won't stop playing it because it's available; it's got a lot more spins in it yet, particularly the Larry & Jaibi side.

I thought the DJs got it dead right for the night and thanks to them and everyone for making it such a great occasion.

Ady

Guest Mrs Simsy

to quote andyk123

"oh my god

oh my god "

oh my god

i dont know much but i know one thing . the stuff that poured out of those speakers relentlessly in a club where EVERYBODY was dancing was something thats left me gobsmacked (lost for words ohmy.gif ) ! and in feel so lucky to have been there . thankyou toby for everything and everyone i met . and what a warm welcome .

absolute 1st class music . i will treasure the memory and my cd and single forever , awesome

Were you the Sarah that i shook hands with? You must be as you were stood next to Toby!:thumbsup: I didn't realise it was you-from-off-ere!:rolleyes: Nice to have meet you.thumbsup.gif

Thanks once again for a top night to everyone involved with 100 Club. Philly, i've just remembered taking some silly photos on your camera. It was peer pressure. Sorry!innocent.giflaugh.gif

Were you the Sarah that i shook hands with? You must be as you were stood next to Toby!biggrin.gif I didn't realise it was you-from-off-ere!laugh.gif Nice to have meet you

Hi Kylee,yes it was...nice aint she

Toby