Guest macky

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Alan T Edge

What an absolutely fantastic night,a great selection of music in two rooms.the place was bouncing all night.Just a shame about the queues at the bars

Yes and the idiots & the pissheads on the dancefloor & the stage, great music but won't be doing it again sadly.

Yes and the idiots & the pissheads on the dancefloor & the stage, great music but won't be doing it again sadly.

Obviously NON SOULIES then Alan ?? Unfortunately when you get ' normal ' people in the venues who are just out for a good piss up type night this is waht you end up with. Simply put

BLOODY ANNOYING BUGGERS. How much piss was spilt on the dancefloor, cos they do insist on taking glasses and bottles onto it. Something to do with getting them either nicked or spiked. They just don't get the etiquette of the soul scene do they?? Ah well onward and upward. Stay soulful. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

First up, I have spoken with Bryan regarding the above points, he tells me that the "piss head" in question was a soulie, who initially went on the stage to complain about the amount of Jazz Funk being played, he was informed that it was a Mecca reunion, and the other room was playing Northern. Bryan showed him to the other room, but the guy returned and carried on with his protest, he was eventually ejected from the venue, Bryan concedes that he should have done so earlier. Bryan is sorry that it spoilt the evening for you, and regrets not addressing the problem sooner.

For me personally I thought that it was a cracking venue, and superb dance floor, with some great old Mecca sounds played throughout the night. Must say we really enjoyed the night, was nice to spend some time with Dekka and Glenys thumbup.gif , and for us it ended too soon. Met some old friends we had not seen for years, and are both looking forward to the next one.

The Blackpool Mecca Revival Reunion saw soul enthusiasts from all over the UK descend on the resort

to celebrate the sounds which gave the original Central Drive club a legendary reputation.

Organiser Bryan Wakelin, was a DJ at the Mecca from 1973 until its closure in 1981, and was one of the core of regulars

along with people such as Les Cokell, Pete Haigh, Steve naylor, johnny Beggs etc

The crowd were friendly and enthusiastic and totally up for a goodnight,

of course with a place such as Blackpool and an event taking place in a hotel you will always get young people

who dont quite understand the etiquette,but overall most people took it in the right spirit and celebrated

a venue and a style of music that pushed back the boundaries, something that the nighter scene is doing today.

So for you complainers who are totally up your own a**e and who probably never really venture from your own soul night

with 'your' own table and sitting in 'your' chair, listening to Judy Street and clapping in all the right places, dont

come back because you will never understand the spirit of the Highland Room.

Once more to the Mecca my friends, once more

Or close the wall with unbelievers

Follow you're spirit and upon this charge

Cry God, for the Mecca Highland room and Northern Soul

marching on together

31_BAB17.jpg

Guest CentralDrive

The Blackpool Mecca Revival Reunion saw soul enthusiasts from all over the UK descend on the resort

to celebrate the sounds which gave the original Central Drive club a legendary reputation.

Organiser Bryan Wakelin, was a DJ at the Mecca from 1973 until its closure in 1981, and was one of the core of regulars

along with people such as Les Cokell, Pete Haigh, Steve naylor, johnny Beggs etc

The crowd were friendly and enthusiastic and totally up for a goodnight,

of course with a place such as Blackpool and an event taking place in a hotel you will always get young people

who dont quite understand the etiquette,but overall most people took it in the right spirit and celebrated

a venue and a style of music that pushed back the boundaries, something that the nighter scene is doing today.

So for you complainers who are totally up your own a**e and who probably never really venture from your own soul night

with 'your' own table and sitting in 'your' chair, listening to Judy Street and clapping in all the right places, dont

come back because you will never understand the spirit of the Highland Room.

Once more to the Mecca my friends, once more

Or close the wall with unbelievers

Follow you're spirit and upon this charge

Cry God, for the Mecca Highland room and Northern Soul

marching on together

31_BAB17.jpg

Actually I dont remember Bryan being a 'regular' DJ at the Mecca from 73 to 81??? ...No offence to Bryan but when I went it was Tony,then Colin and Ian ??? Brian was in the main a punter like the rest of us including Pete,Steve and Epic from Blackpool.

Anyway whats that got to do with people being honest and saying there were a number of pissheads there on the night in question,not just young people and compared to previous events at the Brunswick it wasn't that great ? Can't we have an opinion ? why do you presume we have a table!!! whats that all about? never had one at the Mecca and never had one since . I think its you and your nasty comments who don't understand the sprirt of the Highland Room...are you sure you were really there?

Guest highlander

Well i've just got to say what a fantastic night .The very best of music, all those northern classics that where first played at the mecca,and onto the ground breaking 70s stuff that is really my kind of thing. from what i could see, and we were right on the dancefloor there was 1 guy yes just 1 , and he definately was not a soulie. He was making a prat of himself by dancing on stage to close to the djs doing a sort of ravey- waving kind of thing.Eventually brian wakelin[who is probably only 8 stone wet thru] ejected him. Thats it,nothing more,It didnt in the slightest spoil for me the best soul night of the year. well done mr wakelin , I will be there next time Cheers