Pat Brady Auction

Looking for some advice please guys.

I bid for the first time today on Pat Brady's online auction.

I bid in the last few seconds and got the highest bid - then the time went over the auction end.

I checked back about 2 minutes later and saw there was a higher bid - even though the auction should have closed by then.

I then had a go to see whether it was still possible to place a bid myself - it was at finish time minus 2 minutes ohmy.gif and my new total then showed.

Before I ask Pat, does anyone know what the score is please with this? Surely my first bid counts as it was there within the official closing time, and all later bids are invalid ???

And why the f**k is it still possible to place a bid when the auction is closed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I bid in the last few seconds and got the highest bid - then the time went over the auction end.

I checked back about 2 minutes later and saw there was a higher bid - even though the auction should have closed by then.

(Probably like a tw*t wanker.gif ) I then had a go to see whether it was still possible to place a bid myself - it was at finish time minus 2 minutes ohmy.gif and my new total then showed.

Before I ask Pat, does anyone know what the score is please with this? Surely my first bid counts as it was there within the official closing time, and all later bids are invalid ???

And why the f**k is it still possible to place a bid when the auction is closed?

Cheers

Richard

Probably extends the time by 5 minutes any time there is a bid?

Social source share

(Probably like a tw*t wanker.gif ) I then had a go to see whether it was still possible to place a bid myself - it was at finish time minus 2 minutes ohmy.gif and my new total then showed.

Cheers

Richard

Probably extends the time by 5 minutes any time there is a bid?

Social source share

doesn't John do something similar where there is a 2 min window to bid in after last bid even at end.....

and when no bids come in that 2 min window thats when it finally ends ?

might be wrong on this unsure.gif

bit different to ebay which obviously has a fixed finish time.

Social source share

Thanks guys.

I would still be interested please if someone has the definitive on this so that I have a better feel before talking to Pat.

I won the item, so no worries there, but it was still for about £35 quid more than my original bid - which was actually the top bid within the 18:00hrs published finish time.

I'm not going to fall out over 35 quid but if I hadn't done what I did and stuck in a further bid I would have lost the item to someone else who submitted their bid after the published auction close time.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

The issue might be the proxy bidding service. Pat offers this service as does John M.

As Pete S notes above, when a bid on or around the finish time is made the auction is extended, in JM's case for an extra 5 minutes I believe, to give the person outbid the opportunity to raise their bid. The cut off times will be flexible depending upon the demand and bidding activity as they would be in a normal auction house scenario.

As regards proxy bidding, if the highest bid was say £100 and you bid up one or more increments the proxy, i.e. Pat, would then place a bid for the bidder with the next highest bid increment say £110. This bid and counter bid will go on until the proxy bidder or yourself are outbid. This may or may not happen within 'closing time' or may extend beyond until all active bidding ends. This is perfectly normal practice but can be frustrating when it's you that loses out or ends up paying more.

I believe this is the process but I'm sure Pat B can fill you in on the specifics of your particular case.

Hope this helps...

Social source share

Thanks guys for the useful advice.

Sounds very likely it was a proxy bid placed by Pat on behalf of a customer.

My finishing price wasn't a problem in any case. I will just ask Pat the question when I pay up, so I know the form for future reference thumbup.gif

Cheers

Richard

I used the service for the first time tonight also.................

I bid £ xx for an item, but wanted to leave a higher bid in case I was out bid of £ yy .

So i entered the new bid of £ yy and it immediately over wrote my existing bid of £ xx. Now obvioulsy I wouldnt want to out bid myself, so I emailed Pat.

As it happened I was outbid, but bid again myself to win.

So leaving high end bids is best by proxy, but soemtimes in the heat you bid higher, so I am uncertain of the best strategy, maybe a phone call ?

Anyway I won, so am happy....................... thumbsup.gif

A small point, I also like to see details of the other bidders, its just a personal preference, dont know what others feel ?

Social source share

Thanks guys for the useful advice.

Sounds very likely it was a proxy bid placed by Pat on behalf of a customer.

My finishing price wasn't a problem in any case. I will just ask Pat the question when I pay up, so I know the form for future reference thumbup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,suppose you could think of it if you were the seller and your record got bid up an extra £35 or so then you wouldn't be too unhappy?

best, John Elias.biggrin.gif

Social source share

(Probably like a tw*t :wanker: ) I then had a go to see whether it was still possible to place a bid myself - it was at finish time minus 2 minutes :ohmy: and my new total then showed.

Cheers

Richard

:boxing: I have just spent 20 minutes on Pats Site, and I cant find anything that would indicate that once the auction has ended there is a still time to make a proxy bid?. in fact it makes a complete nonsense of biding in any auction, if someone is allowed to enter a bid unknown to the public? Best thing is to ask Pat and request that he publishes auction rules on his site in full, and better than that let him state the issue on Soul Source, I have Known Pat for many years and to my knowledge he will give you a straight answer to this situation:ph34r: DAVE KIL
Social source share

Just had a quick chat with Pat this morning and he ran me though how the bidding works, including managing proxy bids which may be received by phone/email etc.

All sorted as far as I'm concerned and I would definitately use the auction again - some really nice items on there.

In any case, I'm really happy with the 45 I won - a good price and I've been after that one for a while :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Just had a quick chat with Pat this morning and he ran me though how the bidding works, including managing proxy bids which may be received by phone/email etc.

All sorted as far as I'm concerned and I would definitately use the auction again - some really nice items on there.

In any case, I'm really happy with the 45 I won - a good price and I've been after that one for a while :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

Superb Richard, I shall be calling him tomorrow.................

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

Hiya Richard, mate how do i get onto Pat Brady's auction site and do i have to register etc. ? Regards Tony, OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

theres a misty moore and a jj callier on there, 2 records i all but gave away :blink:

Social source share

Just a quick one to clear a few things up on behalf of Pat who is not a member on here.

I'm posting on a break from work and have a quick phone converation with Pat and basically here's what he said

He tries to end all auctions on the deadline - no extensions etc. But sometimes when you're putting proxy bids in for people it can go a minute or two over as he is dealing with 5 records on the auction all finishing at once. Plus, if he's on the 'phone at the same time as someone else it trying to get through to bid on another record, it becomes difficult.

In the end and to quote him directly "I try to make it as fair as I can, plain & simple ."

Hope that helps everyone ! thumbsup.gif

Rob

Social source share

Just a quick one to clear a few things up on behalf of Pat who is not a member on here.

I'm posting on a break from work and have a quick phone converation with Pat and basically here's what he said

He tries to end all auctions on the deadline - no extensions etc. But sometimes when you're putting proxy bids in for people it can go a minute or two over as he is dealing with 5 records on the auction all finishing at once. Plus, if he's on the 'phone at the same time as someone else it trying to get through to bid on another record, it becomes difficult.

In the end and to quote him directly "I try to make it as fair as I can, plain & simple ."

Rob

Thanks Rob, especially if Pat not a member..............

Social source share

Rob

Isn't it pointless having a semi-automated auction? It's either got to be one thing or the other. Why can't the proxy bids go on automatically?

Social source share

Rob

If he is struggling with 5 records ending all at the same time..........why doesn't he limit it to 1 record at a time.................not rocket science biggrin.gif

Social source share

I myself have only dealt with Pat Brady's records on one occasion, I found him very fair and easy to deal with, He's been doing it for some time so would think he has a very good name in the trade,

BigBill shades

Social source share