Pemberton Centre, Rushden, Northants. Friday 9Th Oct

Steve Brown

After what seems ages The Pembo is back!!! Please note that it is FRIDAY 9th October. This is a one off due to a booking problem and will return to Saturdays for all future events.

PEMBERTON CENTRE, H E Bates Way, Rushden, Northants, NN10 9YP

Join resident DJ's Len Dopson and Steve Brown along with special guests Phil Attley and Hammie!!!

Doors 7.30 to 12.30. £6 or £5 if reserved in advance, (PM through here to reserve or phone 01933 652486)

We will be playing everything from the rarest of the rare to the biggest floor fillers with everything in between. We have one of the biggest dance floors around and we want it heaving so we play for you not ourselves!

Come and join us for a packed night of great soul music!!!

• Replies 61
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jem thumbsup.gif , won't be the same without you on the decks mate but will get you back for December!

News just off the press. Mick H confirmed as our main guest for December and Pembo booked for 4 dates next year which I will post up as soon as the Events calender is completed. We have a line up of top DJ's for next year as we intend to keep this a top quality night!

The Pembo is now booked for 2010 and the future dates are as follows

For 2009 Saturday 5th December with guest DJ Mick H.

For 2010 Saturday 6th February, Saturday 24th April, Saturday 18th September, and Saturday 4th December!!!!

DJ's already confirmed for next year include Sean Chapman, Dave Rimmer and John Manship.

We will be striving to keep this event fresh by combining the established floor fillers with something a little different but our promise remains that the dance floor is our main priority!

It will be great to have my old mate Hammie back for this one, along with Phil who certainly made an impact on his last couple of visits. As Phil likes to go on early, make sure you get there in good time. DJ times will go up next week.

Thanks, Steve.

The Pembo is now booked for 2010 and the future dates are as follows

For 2009 Saturday 5th December with guest DJ Mick H.

For 2010 Saturday 6th February, Saturday 24th April, Saturday 18th September, and Saturday 4th December!!!!

DJ's already confirmed for next year include Sean Chapman, Dave Rimmer and John Manship.

We will be striving to keep this event fresh by combining the established floor fillers with something a little different but our promise remains that the dance floor is our main priority!

It will be great to have my old mate Hammie back for this one, along with Phil who certainly made an impact on his last couple of visits. As Phil likes to go on early, make sure you get there in good time. DJ times will go up next week.

Thanks, Steve.

Looking forward to coming back to The Pemberton next year :thumbup:

That's a date then Dave, 24th April in fact! You can get the Pembo rockin' again with your top R&B, Len will love that biggrin.gif .

R 'n' B? ohmy.gif, Full dance floors?!!!ohmy.gif - Blimey, presures on! - See ya there.

Len.

Empty Dance Floors Rule Ok! wink.gif

Guest aaz19tdi

Empty dance floors mean selfish dj,s who dont please the punters who pay good money to come through the door, no punters mean no future.

Its a fact steve people are not coming to your evening because of a certain boring dj.

Empty dance floors mean selfish dj,s who dont please the punters who pay good money to come through the door, no punters mean no future.

Its a fact steve people are not coming to your evening because of a certain boring dj.

So are we right in assuming you mean Len?

Each to His / Her own i suppose , but I can say this, Len has been a regular dj at the Pembo for a few years now and I havent noticed average attendances drop. Like most djs He has His own style, some like it some dont, but that can be said about any dj.

It should be noted though that Len is responsible for bringing many tunes to the area via His Embankment Soulnights that local djs are now championing (me included) and filling floors with.

PARISIANS

JO ANN GARRETT

SEPTEMBER JONES

EXITS

PAT AND THE BLENDERS

To name a few.

As for no future at the Pembo ...far from it ...all dates for 2010 now booked check out the events calendar 30TH JAN. , 24TH APRIL , 18 SEPT., 4TH DEC. plus some great djs lined up including DAVE RIMMER , SEAN CHAPMAN , JOHN MANSHIP AND OTHERS TO BE CONFIRMED PLUS MYSELF AND STEVE DECEMBER 5TH 2009 EVENT FEATURES MICK H

Come on there has gotta be some djs there that are worth coming to see ....A.T.B. Jem

thumbsup.gif

May I firstly say that Lens comment is firmly tongue in cheek and he does have a good following who appreciate his tunes. The Pembo is about contrast, light and shade. No DJ will please everyone all of the time, hence why we mix everything up to bring a variety to our customers. With 200 plus attending our events I can't really see a problem! I promise you the dance floor will be pumping for the vast majority of the night cos that's what we do!

DJ times will be up by Tuesday folks!

Dave Rimmer confirmed for April and Sean Chapman for December!!!

Guest aaz19tdi

So are we right in assuming you mean Len?

Each to His / Her own i suppose , but I can say this, Len has been a regular dj at the Pembo for a few years now and I havent noticed average attendances drop. Like most djs He has His own style, some like it some dont, but that can be said about any dj.

It should be noted though that Len is responsible for bringing many tunes to the area via His Embankment Soulnights that local djs are now championing (me included) and filling floors with.

PARISIANS

JO ANN GARRETT

SEPTEMBER JONES

EXITS

PAT AND THE BLENDERS

To name a few.

As for no future at the Pembo ...far from it ...all dates for 2010 now booked check out the events calendar 30TH JAN. , 24TH APRIL , 18 SEPT., 4TH DEC. plus some great djs lined up including DAVE RIMMER , SEAN CHAPMAN , JOHN MANSHIP AND OTHERS TO BE CONFIRMED PLUS MYSELF AND STEVE DECEMBER 5TH 2009 EVENT FEATURES MICK H

Come on there has gotta be some djs there that are worth coming to see ....A.T.B. Jem

thumbsup.gif

I didnt see you there last time gem ? so there for you didnt see people leave when Mr L.D came on, and some one that likes empty dance floors when there are spinning the tunes is a little odd to me, sure they are rare tunes but that dont make them good in my book.

Its great to break new tunes and all that but if they go down like a lead ballon, whats the point ?? big ego ? we shall continue to support the pembo but if its ego hour watch people leave, who would normally be there till the end. For us we go too northern soul nights/nighters/all dayers/weekenders to DANCE, dont care how much the record cost how rare it is, who its by,empty floors mean shite music. this is just my opinion its not personal.

I didnt see you there last time gem ? so there for you didnt see people leave when Mr L.D came on, and some one that likes empty dance floors when there are spinning the tunes is a little odd to me, sure they are rare tunes but that dont make them good in my book.

Its great to break new tunes and all that but if they go down like a lead ballon, whats the point ?? big ego ? we shall continue to support the pembo but if its ego hour watch people leave, who would normally be there till the end. For us we go too northern soul nights/nighters/all dayers/weekenders to DANCE, dont care how much the record cost how rare it is, who its by,empty floors mean shite music. this is just my opinion its not personal.

Was defo. there ,DJing ,working on the door plus having a boogie from time to time and I packed the kit away at the end ,personally dont remember seeing any leaving early but take your word for it as i wasnt on the door all night. Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the Len subject , one thing i do know about Him is that He really is not ego driven ....talk to Him He really aint like that ....any how glad your gonna keep coming to the Pembo ....best regards Jem thumbsup.gif p.s. come and introduce yourself as i dont reconise the soulsource handle

Edited by Jem Brittin

It's a real shame that you feel it necessary to post a very negative and entirely selfish comment on an event that encourages the play of fresher music....6.gif , and worse still that you can openly criticise one of the county's most dedicated and committed promoters.

I think it's safe to read into your messages that you have a fairly closed mind when it comes to fresher music....that's fine....but others who attend the Pemberton nights have a more open view, and appreciate Len's efforts to introduce different tunes. You should have more respect for DJs and promoters that keep the club scene moving forward.....and just think about whether dance floors were full on the first plays of some of the tunes now hailed as Northern classics that you're happy to dance to.....

...........the DJs that chanced their arm on dance floor acceptance back then were doing exactly the same as Len...yes.gif

Playing fresher music is not an ego thing. If you want to talk about egos then think about the self esteem of DJs that only ever play safe, tried and tested tunes to have the satisfaction of full dance floors..........that's egotistical IMO.

Edited by Wrongcrowd

Great debating guys. Far from being upset that it is on my thread, I actually think it's healthy!

Lee, I can see where your coming from but for a new poster you are a bit blunt. We should all give you the benefit of the doubt for that reason but would prefer more constructive comments, mate. Please come and say hello on Friday. It would be nice to put a face to the name as the last time we had similar posts on one of our threads it turned out to be completely bogus.

All the best, Steve.

It's a real shame that you feel it necessary to post a very negative and entirely selfish comment on an event that encourages the play of fresher music....6.gif , and worse still that you can openly criticise one of the county's most dedicated and committed promoters.

I think it's safe to read into your messages that you have a fairly closed mind when it comes to fresher music....that's fine....but others who attend the Pemberton nights have a more open view, and appreciate Len's efforts to introduce different tunes. You should have more respect for DJs and promoters that keep the club scene moving forward.....and just think about whether dance floors were full on the first plays of some of the tunes now hailed as Northern classics that you're happy to dance to.....

...........the DJs that chanced their arm on dance floor acceptance back then were doing exactly the same as Len...yes.gif

Playing fresher music is not an ego thing. If you want to talk about egos then think about the self esteem of DJs that only ever play safe, tried and tested tunes to have the satisfaction of full dance floors..........that's egotistical IMO.

Totally agree ....and what is interesting is that since we started the Pembo approx 4 years ago . The regulars that at the time i would say were predominately oldies fans actually now want to hear some of the fresher sounds .

Guest aaz19tdi

this is just my opinion its not personal.

Blimey - I'd hate to see you get personal!unsure.gif - My 'Empty Dance Floors Rule OK' slogan as Steve rightly says is defo tongue in cheek - I'm very surprised I need to explain that, but I suppose in hindsight, anyone that doesn't know me personally may get the wrong idea of what I mean by it, so - For the record - OF COURSE I DONT WANT TO SEE EMPTY DANCE FLOORS! - it simply means - Please open your ears and give every tune a chance.

I hope you agree that calling a DJ 'Boring' is too strong, and damn right nasty to say the least as it's just your opinion. I would have more respect for your comments if it was put across a bit more constructivly - I'm all for chatting about this debate, I find it interesting.

I have a passion for sharing my tunes with others, all I do is play sounds that I have heard on my travels over the years and hope people will appreciate them as I did.

I know you were't directly calling me ego driven. If I heard anyone I respected thought that of me I would stop DJing tomorrow as that is something I am absolutley not. I have been DJing since I was 15 years old - It's a hobby of mine. Unfortunatelly there are a few ego driven 'Fast track' DJ's about, but I don't think it's up to anyone to say who they are or are not. Deep down they know themselves...

As for people leaving the event because I was DJing - I can only take that as a massive compliment!good.gif (Tongue in cheek again!)

All the best,

Len.

ps - Don't judge a book by it's cover!

Guest aaz19tdi

Its a shame you feel the need to jump in and defend your mate, opinions are like arseholes mate every ones got one and iam not afraid to voice mine i dont live in Pc heaven thank god.

you can think its safe all you like, my mind is wide open when it comes to fresher sounds, but if it empties a dance floor whats the point ???

who are you to tell me i should have more respect for dj,s and promoters ??? i pay the entrance fee, would you like me to bow when i walk past the dj box ?????

Guest aaz19tdi

Great debating guys. Far from being upset that it is on my thread, I actually think it's healthy!

Lee, I can see where your coming from but for a new poster you are a bit blunt. We should all give you the benefit of the doubt for that reason but would prefer more constructive comments, mate. Please come and say hello on Friday. It would be nice to put a face to the name as the last time we had similar posts on one of our threads it turned out to be completely bogus.

All the best, Steve.

Steve , what does a new poster have to do then kiss arse for 400 posts before he can really say what he means ?????? iam more blunt in real life and certainly no key board warrior,

How would be more constructive in the comment dept then in your opinion ???????

Blimey - I'd hate to see you get personal!unsure.gif - My 'Empty Dance Floors Rule OK' slogan as Steve rightly says is defo tongue in cheek - I'm very surprised I need to explain that, but I suppose in hindsight, anyone that doesn't know me personally may get the wrong idea of what I mean by it, so - For the record - OF COURSE I DONT WANT TO SEE EMPTY DANCE FLOORS! - it simply means - Please open your ears and give every tune a chance.

I hope you agree that calling a DJ 'Boring' is too strong, and damn right nasty to say the least as it's just your opinion. I would have more respect for your comments if it was put across a bit more constructivly - I'm all for chatting about this debate, I find it interesting.

I have a passion for sharing my tunes with others, all I do is play sounds that I have heard on my travels over the years and hope people will appreciate them as I did.

I know you were't directly calling me ego driven. If I heard anyone I respected thought that of me I would stop DJing tomorrow as that is something I am absolutley not. I have been DJing since I was 15 years old - It's a hobby of mine. Unfortunatelly there are a few ego driven 'Fast track' DJ's about, but I don't think it's up to anyone to say who they are or are not. Deep down they know themselves...

As for people leaving the event because I was DJing - I can only take that as a massive compliment!good.gif (Tongue in cheek again!)

All the best,

Len.

ps - Don't judge a book by it's cover!

O.K sorry for calling you boring , but we were bored listening to what you played and left, sorry if that offends you but its fact, as for nasty thats just funny. i hope you prove me wrong on friday i really do.

Its a shame you feel the need to jump in and defend your mate, opinions are like arseholes mate every ones got one and iam not afraid to voice mine i dont live in Pc heaven thank god.

you can think its safe all you like, my mind is wide open when it comes to fresher sounds, but if it empties a dance floor whats the point ???

who are you to tell me i should have more respect for dj,s and promoters ??? i pay the entrance fee, would you like me to bow when i walk past the dj box ?????

Yes, Len is a mate............but it's not about defending mates, it's about defending the play of progressive soul music. If a DJ plays half a dozen records that are new to you or not to your taste, it's hardly cause for a walk out (or even a post on this site for that matter)...especially if as you say you're "mind is wide open"...sounds a little contrary to me....shhh.gif

So let's see what records you do want to listen to. Give us a list of your ten favourite tunes. That's being constructive, and not just rude.

Welcome to Soul Source, suggest you take some time out to post a liitle intro:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?/forum/44-new-member-shouts/

Ideal place to post up your top 5 as Dave Rimmer suggested.

Thanks

Nick

IM NOT CUMIN I ASKED LEN TO PLAY AMY WHINE HOUSE AND HE DIDN'T HAVE IT. LEN WHAT SORT OF DJ ARE YA. THEY PLAY IT LOADS ON THE RADIO!!!!

LEN KEEP ON DOIN WHAT YA DOIN AND KEEP SMILINrolleyes.gif SEE YA FRIDAY TO SHAKE A TAIL FEATHER!! KIMBO

Edited by kimbo

IM NOT CUMIN I ASKED LEN TO PLAY AMY WHINE HOUSE AND HE DIDN'T HAVE IT. LEN WHAT SORT OF DJ ARE YA. THEY PLAY IT LOADS ON THE RADIO!!!!

LEN KEEP ON DOIN WHAT YA DOIN AND KEEP SMILINrolleyes.gif SEE YA FRIDAY TO SHAKE A TAIL FEATHER!! KIMBO

Love watchin you dance on the wireless !!! Bustin moves to Duffey!!!!

Good Hols mate?

Love watchin you dance on the wireless !!! Bustin moves to Duffey!!!!

Good Hols mate?

THAT AINT ME DANCIN I GOT THE AERIAL STUCK UP ME JACKSY! HOLS GOOD MATE. ARE WE GONNA SEE YA FRIDAY? I'VE PENNED IN THE LAST DANCE WID YA.... NO SPOUT BUMPIN THIS TIME YA DIRTY BEGGER!!lamsey.gif BAAAAAA

DJ times as follows,

7.30 - 8.45 Warm up (a chance to hear a few different tunes including underplayed oldies. If anyone wants to bring something along to be played, feel free)

8.45 - 9.30 Phil Attley

9.30 - 10.00 Steve B

10.00 - 11.00 Hammie

11.00 - 11.45 Len

11.45 - 12.30 Steve B request spot.

I think for a soul nite the Pembo gets the mix about right, and there is something for everyone, as it says on the flyer. Personally I think its great to go to a nite with such a good mix of sounds. Not all Top 500, but also not all Mega rare. A bit of everything, which is reflected by the dj's. Some people will always moan but locally other nites cover different ends of the soul spectrum, W,Boro wmc or the hind, for the well known 'over-played', or at the other end there is 'Creative Soul' with the more obscure and underplayed. The Pembo is somewhere in the middle.

Don't listen to the detractor(s) Len, your spot is always one I look forward to.

Keep up the good work guys.

Guest aaz19tdi

O.K sorry for calling you boring , but we were bored listening to what you played and left, sorry if that offends you but its fact, as for nasty thats just funny. i hope you prove me wrong on friday i really do.

I'm never offended if people don't like some of the tunes I play (That's personal taste) As long as they have given them a real chance. Also realising other folk do enjoy them. I do know some people have made their minds up before I even put a record on, which is silly as they miss out. I also feel some get to a point that even if I did play a record they may like, they wouldn't admit it as I'm already written off in their eyes.

I think when Steve said more constructive, he meant give your opinion (It's welcome) but without stuff like boring DJ etc (Which you have reconised)

Most fresh sounds clear the floor first few plays as most folk don't like dancing to tunes they don't know.

If you are seriously open minded and not just havin' a mindless dig, introduce yourself and I'll give you a C.D to take home and listen to a few times. Who knows it may give you another avenue musically.

Len.

I'm never offended if people don't like some of the tunes I play (That's personal taste) As long as they have given them a real chance. Also realising other folk do enjoy them. I do know some people have made their minds up before I even put a record on, which is silly as they miss out. I also feel some get to a point that even if I did play a record they may like, they wouldn't admit it as I'm already written off in their eyes.

I think when Steve said more constructive, he meant give your opinion (It's welcome) but without stuff like boring DJ etc (Which you have reconised)

Most fresh sounds clear the floor first few plays as most folk don't like dancing to tunes they don't know.

If you are seriously open minded and not just havin' a mindless dig, introduce yourself and I'll give you a C.D to take home and listen to a few times. Who knows it may give you another avenue musically.

Len.

Len, again sorry for calling you boring, you say your never offended if people dont like the tunes you play, surely as an entertainer your there for the punters?? and if they walk off the floor thats a sign Play some thing we know , i got to admit i like mid to fast uptempo, unknown slow to mid tempo bore the crap out of me, may be i just like stompers when iam out after a hard weeks work, i leave the slower stuff for a tuesday night after tea when iam relaxing on the sofa. when ive seen you out ive seen you with a note book and pen writing down tunes played by other dj,s is this so you dont play the same tunes as them ?????or i like that i must try and find that, just curious and not having a dig.

Len, again sorry for calling you boring, you say your never offended if people dont like the tunes you play, surely as an entertainer your there for the punters?? and if they walk off the floor thats a sign Play some thing we know , i got to admit i like mid to fast uptempo, unknown slow to mid tempo bore the crap out of me, may be i just like stompers when iam out after a hard weeks work, i leave the slower stuff for a tuesday night after tea when iam relaxing on the sofa. when ive seen you out ive seen you with a note book and pen writing down tunes played by other dj,s is this so you dont play the same tunes as them ?????or i like that i must try and find that, just curious and not having a dig.

Guest aaz19tdi

Now that's constructive thumbsup.gif . Now the challenge for Len is to find a couple of nice stompers for you! But then you will probably be worn out by Hammie cos he will play loads of them.

All the best, Steve.

Edited by LEN

Pen and paper me? - I used to in the 1980's - Reason being to write down the sounds I heard, which now influence my DJing. I haven't done that for years though......Hang on, I see what's happened here - You've got me mixed up with someone else! laugh.gif

I have to say when done properly, I enjoy the witty ribbing of each others taste. Dave Rimmer often says stuff on the mike like..."Yep it's R 'n' B time, make some room for Len" etc

Or I've had..."F*ck me Len, if I wanted to clear the floor, I would of bought a mop and bucket"!

Once after the next DJ rammed the floor with his first record, some one said (With a big smile on their face) "See Len, this is how it's supposed to be done!!!"

Don't judge my spot by the first few records - See what journey it takes you on...thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to Friday.

All the best,

Len.

Do i have too ?????? i take it because you have posted that my posts have been reported ??

I dont do top 10 or top 5, to many out there to choose from.

I doubt very much if your posts have been reported, they weren't that offensive. But yes you do have to do an intro, it's one of the conditions of joining, every new member has to.

Pen and paper me? - I used to in the 1980's - Reason being to write down the sounds I heard, which now influence my DJing. I haven't done that for years though......Hang on, I see what's happened here - You've got me mixed up with someone else! laugh.gif

I have to say when done properly, I enjoy the witty ribbing of each others taste. Dave Rimmer often says stuff on the mike like..."Yep it's R 'n' B time, make some room for Len" etc

Or I've had..."F*ck me Len, if I wanted to clear the floor, I would of bought a mop and bucket"!

once after the next DJ rammed the floor with his first record, some one said (With a big smile on their face) "See Len, this is how it's supposed to be done!!!"

Don't judge my spot by the first few records - See what journey it takes you on...thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to Friday.

All the best,

Len.

Sounds a cracking night to me but too far for an early night (as opposed to a niter I mean).

I love events that mix it up a little.

I hate having to move from main room to R&B room etc as I think I'm missing something in the room I've just left.

As for the debate about DJ's trying something different, at a local soul do a while back a DJ guesting at that event played a spot of around 40 mins with some hardly played tunes (all 60s and70's soul records, nothing contempory) and the floor was almost empty apart from me and a couple of others. He played some cracking tunes that a few years ago were new to me, that is until people I've met on the scene gave me tapes/CDs etc containing some of these brilliant records.

You guessed it, the next DJ played it safe and played Better Use Your Head and the floor was packed. Great record but played at this event every time and one I am sick of hearing.

I really do understand the problem, every DJ would like to see their dance floor full and people do pay money to be entertained, but surely no one wants to hear the same tunes week in week out do they!!!! mellow.gifsleep3.gif

Oh well, you can't please all of the people............. etc. thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Guest Kitty Soul

So looking forward to Friday evening at the Pembo - always great Classics, my Faves plus something new. Dancing all night - 'flats' for sure, girls you know what I mean. See you there, Kitty x

Do i have too ?????? i take it because you have posted that my posts have been reported ??

I dont do top 10 or top 5, to many out there to choose from.

Don't be shy, a few words is all it takes, don't worry about the top sounds, another time.

Ta

As for the debate about DJ's trying something different, at a local soul do a while back a DJ guesting at that event played a spot of around 40 mins with some hardly played tunes (all 60s and70's soul records, nothing contempory) and the floor was almost empty apart from me and a couple of others. He played some cracking tunes that a few years ago were new to me, that is until people I've met on the scene gave me tapes/CDs etc containing some of these brilliant records.

You guessed it, the next DJ played it safe and played Better Use Your Head and the floor was packed. Great record but played at this event every time and one I am sick of hearing.

I really do understand the problem, every DJ would like to see their dance floor full and people do pay money to be entertained, but surely no one wants to hear the same tunes week in week out do they!!!! :mellow::sleep3:

Oh well, you can't please all of the people............. etc. thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

:laugh: That sounds like my sort of spot. It's all to easy to give in and play the same old crowd pleasers, not that there's anything wrong with them but there are more than 30 records in my collection and the others deserved to be played.

There's so many CD's given away on the door these days that I'm thinking of doing it differently (if I get the time) down here in Kent. A CD of recent buys / underplayed / lesser known, sent out to our mailing list, might be the answer. Gives folk a chance to get used to something different before they hear it good 'n' loud.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, and it might not be the same for those of you in the Midlands who have a greater variety of venues and folks willing to travel, but I'm seriously considering it down here in the wilderness. Anyone tried this already?

Pemberton sounds good to me, keep doing what you're doing and maybe I'll get up there soon.

- Kev.