West Midland Soul Club Memories-Notts Palais

francis t

I am looking for memories of events organised by theWest Midlands Soul Club thoughout the last thirty plus years.

I am particularly interested in East Midlands events like Tiffanies Coalville,Burton 76 Club,Cleos Derby, and others.(but any memories appreciated)

The event which is of particular interest is the Nottingham Palais Alldayers, which I believe opened up the Palais to Norhern Soul.

Talk of the Palais and its "soul" history tend to overlook the guys Steve Russell, MickFlello, Joe Bragg and John Carter who ran regular packed All Dayers there in the seventies.

Any memories/photos/flyers/anything re the WMSC we can add to our history .

cheers

francis t/mister tee

THE WEST MIDLANDS SOUL CLUB

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I am looking for memories of events organised by theWest Midlands Soul Club thoughout the last thirty plus years.

I am particularly interested in East Midlands events like Tiffanies Coalville,Burton 76 Club,Cleos Derby, and others.(but any memories appreciated)

The event which is of particular interest is the Nottingham Palais Alldayers, which I believe opened up the Palais to Norhern Soul.

Talk of the Palais and its "soul" history tend to overlook the guys Steve Russell, MickFlello, Joe Bragg and John Carter who ran regular packed All Dayers there in the seventies.

Any memories/photos/flyers/anything re the WMSC we can add to our history .

cheers

francis t/mister tee

THE WEST MIDLANDS SOUL CLUB

I Remember the Notts Palais dayers back in the mid 70s, Running 52 seater coaches there from Skegness, picking up in Boston, Grantham etc... Buying records from Mick Flello....

Dave Raistrick

Social source share

what can i say that needs to be said about the building on parlaiment street? I first went there in feb 78 as a 15 yr old school kid. never ,missed a single event from then, through to the 100th all dayer and beyond ! A magical place that saw most of the population of Grantham boarding a train every first sunday of the month.

I loved it, even when the mod revival hit around 79', they turned the 'bali hai' into a mod room and played some wonderful music down there. plus the jazz funk events on the revolving dancefloor. it all added to what was for me the 'mecca' (literally) of soul clubs around that time!

Tony Clayton in his santa suit with a sack full of 'sweets' wicked.gif ? Gerri Thomas covered up as 'Zena Foster' by Soul Sam, Nev Wherry dancing, some lad leaping off the balcony thinking he could fly ?? Lots of memories of that place.

I also saw my first live gig there. Jnr Walker & the all stars. i stood and watched in total awe as one of my music idols played that sax better than even imagined. a wonderful day indeed!

post-14474-12533698148218_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

I also saw my first live gig there. Jnr Walker & the all stars. i stood and watched in total awe as one of my music idols played that sax better than even imagined. a wonderful day indeed!

Remember Junior wot a show that was pure magic :thumbup:

Loved them sunday Dayers great memories

Social source share

I think I was at the very first WMSC all dayer at the Palais, towards the end of '74? if I remember correctly. All sorts played, but I remember being able to go and buy Garland Green "Sending my best wishes" and the Quadraphonics "Betcha if you check it out" the very next day from Redifusion (now that's a place that sold a lot of soul in Nottingham, but is always overlooked in favour of Selectadisc).

As I am a Nottingham boy I attended on a very regular basis, as did most of my friends, and as my last bus went from nearby I could stay right to the end. Mick F and Steve R sold me vast quantities of tunes for a fiver apiece, and you have to give a very decent amount for now (Connie Clark/Tony & Tyrone dj etc), as well as many new releases like the Soulvation Army band and suchlike. I suspect we knew each other back then Francis.

Back in the day it was a great venue (and a great floor) coming down those stairs from the front door to be confronted by the dance floor and overwhelmed by the wall of sound and crowds of people, was just magical - just like a good venue should be. I have a feeling that WMSC also tried a midweek (Thursday) night with Richard Searling as a guest as well as all nighters.

Some very happy memories of that venue, not quite fair to say that the WMSC 'opened up' the Palais to northern. The Bali hai bar had been purely northern on a Monday night for years, and had featured many respected northern dj's, later Jonothan Woodliffe would have his first residency there, Andy Lee & John Poole too. All because, and I don't think it hindered the all dayers any, Mick Knight, the manager of the place, was a true soul fan who had a great collection that he used to keep there, so he was very supportive of the whole northern thing.

That said, the Palais reputation for all dayers would not have happened without the WMSC, so god bless you chaps!

Best,

RB

ps 'accidentally' took a glass home in my bag one time, and I use it to take my blood pressure tablets now! - how things change with old age and poverty eh?

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Remember Junior wot a show that was pure magic thumbup.gif

Loved them sunday Dayers great memories

Remember jnr awesome ,we went on the train straight from the KGB nighter.I still have a badge/sticker for the 50th alldayer July 1977 we had to scramble to get the free badges ,great memories.

Social source share

Some interesting comments and pics.Thanks.I am sure it is correct the WMSC were not the first northern soulers at the Palais, but as has been kindly said the WMSC lads put on a great event.Just been talking to Steve about the nights he used to go out fly posting the events and more than one occasion was "chased" out of town by the police!

He commented on the fact the manager occasionally did a deejay spot and was indeed a northern fan.

I remember on one occasion helping the judging of a dance competition.Never an easy thing to do as all the dancers were very good.Somebody suggested the "girl with the big "T**S ought to win , and she deserved to.Only one problem-not a good idea to make such a suggestion-when the mike was still ON.

I used to do a record bar ,normally on the right if I remember, and it was always a good venue for sales of all sorts of music.

Keep the memories coming please.

francis t

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!