The Third Degree 'mercy'.. (Uk Acid Jazz)

Acceptable to play out ??  

1. 1. What's YOUR verdict.. ???

• 'PLAY IT' at a venue
    • 'NEVER PLAY IT' at a venue

Okay..

Last night at the 'Excellent' United Sound Of Soul, I played (NOT Duffy, Joan & Sandi !! tongue.gif ) the May (??) 2009 release of - what I consider to be a 'Kicking', and by FAR superior, version to (That bird with the 'rrrreaaaaally grates on yer nerves' voice) Duffy's 'Mercy' - by THE THIRD DEGREE.

It's the second time I've played it out.. The first time being at the last Bank Holiday weekend's Lifeline All dayer in Nott's - on the Sunday.

Obviously neither Joan or Sandi agreed with it's output - both insisting it is, actually, Duffy !! Hmph !! glare.gifg.gif

I don't mind in the slightest - and welcome opposing views - if there's a song I like but another person doesn't.. 'It would be a boring... blah, blah' and all that, but I'm curious to know what others feel.

So... Cast your votes NOW - and may you all have MERCY on me.. ph34r.gif

Fingers.. biggrin.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Okay..

Last night at the 'Excellent' United Sound Of Soul, I played (NOT Duffy, Joan & Sandi !! tongue.gif ) the May (??) 2009 release of - what I consider to be a 'Kicking', and by FAR superior, version to (That bird with the 'rrrreaaaaally grates on yer nerves' voice) Duffy's 'Mercy' - by THE THIRD DEGREE.

It's the second time I've placed it out.. The first time being at the last Bank Holiday weekend's Lifeline All dayer in Nott's - on the Sunday.

Obviously neither Joan or Sandi agreed with it's output - both insisting it is, actually, Duffy !! Hmph !! glare.gifg.gif

I don't mind in the slightest - and welcome opposing views - if there's a song I like but another person doesn't.. 'It would be a boring... blah, blah' and all that, but I'm curious to know what others feel.

So... Cast your votes NOW - and may you all have MERCY on me.. ph34r.gif

Fingers.. biggrin.gif

I'm sorta down the middle,but no i would not play it at a soul do no.gif

Social source share

Who is singing the vocal then John? Sounds like Duffy to me.

That aside - this song has absolutely nothing to do with the rare soul scene!

If that minger hadn't used northern soul dancers in her video do you think for one minute you would even consider playing this load of shite out at a venue?

Kinell, come on Joan; there's nothing irritates me more than fence-sitting laugh.gif

Social source share

If that minger hadn't used northern soul dancers in her video do you think for one minute you would even consider playing this load of shite out at a venue?

:unsure: BLIMEY !! :unsure:

I know her voice ggggrrates on ME !! :angry: but.. MINGER !??! I was under the impression she was a 'holier than thou', WHOLESOME type of gal ??

Soul Dancers?? Video ?? What.. Did they do a multi-image shot of young Liam strutting his stuff, or summink ??

I must confess to having avoided watching such drivel.

:chinstroke: It ain't produced by 'WIN(by hook -or, by CROOK)STANLEY' - aka 'phallus head' - by chance, is it ??? :unsure::laugh::laugh:

How do they make ashtray's out of defunct vinyl 45's again ?? :D

Fingers.. :smile:

Social source share

unsure.gif BLIMEY !! unsure.gif

I know her voice ggggrrates on ME !! angry.gif but.. MINGER !??! I was under the impression she was a 'holier than thou', WHOLESOME type of gal ??

Soul Dancers?? Video ?? What.. Did they do a multi-image shot of young Liam strutting his stuff, or summink ??

I must confess to having avoided watching such drivel.

g.gif It ain't produced by 'WIN(by hook -or, by CROOK)STANLEY' - aka 'phallus head' - by chance, is it ??? unsure.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

How do they make ashtray's out of defunct vinyl 45's again ?? biggrin.gif

Fingers.. smile.gif

No,Eddy Piller

Social source share

It's got nothing to do with whether people love it or hate it John, it's whether or not it should be played out at a soul venue!

So how about you change your poll?

I would have to agree with that suggestion, Joan - you are, of course, correct - and I have amended the poll accordingly. thumbup.gif

That should, INDEED, be the 'question' g.gif

I STILL think that your pi**ed at me 'cos it meant you were unable to include it in your set, though.. laugh.giflaugh.gif

[as all sorts of sharp objects are thrown in my general direction..] ohmy.gif'DUCK' !! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Fingers.. shades.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Whats up,why cant i like it without playing it..........dont wanna ash tray it!!,or play it at a soul do unsure.gif

Behave Ken!

Where did I say that?

The whole point of this thread is because John played it out at a soul venue.

So surely the poll should be whether it should or should not be played out at a soul venue and not whether people love it or loathe it!

Social source share

Why shouldn't it get played out.....at what point were new releases considered to be irreleavant to the soul scene?

It's a great version, vocal a bit weak but the backing especially when it bridges about half way through is superb. If nobody had ever heard the Duffy original version then I think this would get a far more open minded reaction. Touch and go for me but this probably would come 2nd behind Cabbage Alley as the best new release of the year.

But that's just my opinion and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) thumbup.gif

Social source share

I would have to agree with that suggestion, Joan - you are, of course, correct - and I have amended the poll accordingly. thumbup.gif

That should, INDEED, be the 'question' g.gif

I STILL think that your pi**ed at me 'cos it meant you were unable to include it in your set, though.. laugh.giflaugh.gif

[as all sorts of sharp objects are thrown in my general direction..] ohmy.gif'DUCK' !! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Fingers.. shades.gif

How about a nice pop record in your vote eh !! and all these colours are sending me PC scatty angry.gif

Social source share

Why shouldn't it get played out.....at what point were new releases considered to be irreleavant to the soul scene?

It's a great version, vocal a bit weak but the backing especially when it bridges about half way through is superb. If nobody had ever heard the Duffy original version then I think this would get a far more open minded reaction. Touch and go for me but this probably would come 2nd behind Cabbage Alley as the best new release of the year.

But that's just my opinion and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) thumbup.gif

When they are obviously not soul biggrin.gif

Social source share

'Cos our kid (Charlie..) say's that when it's YOUR game - you get to make up the rules as you go along tongue.gif

And, YOU know.. our kid is NEVER wrong no.gifno.gifno.gifgood.gif

Tell her she's wrong,in it !! tongue.gif

Social source share

Are you saying all new releases have a chance of being played at soul venues?

You must be because this tune has as much in common with the rare soul scene as an Amy Winehouse song.

Would you play AW out at a rare soul night?

Social source share

Not being soul never stood in the way of a thousand Wigan pop stompers whistling.gif

Yeh !! but its not even a stomper of any kind. laugh.gif

the third degree - mercy - tri sound cd -

Edited by ken
Social source share

Are you saying all new releases have a chance of being played at soul venues?

You must be because this tune has as much in common with the rare soul scene as an Amy Winehouse song.

Would you play AW out at a rare soul night?

No, don't like her stuff enough. But then I wouldn't play Sam Williams out a soul do either.

If a new release is good enough then play it so yes they do all have a chance......small small chance because the good stuff being released is pretty thin on the ground laugh.gif

Social source share

No, don't like her stuff enough. But then I wouldn't play Sam Williams out a soul do either.

If a new release is good enough then play it so yes they do all have a chance......small small chance because the good stuff being released is pretty thin on the ground laugh.gif

I can't believe I am arguing on here about Duffy!

Get yourselves to the next 'Movin On' - you might just hear Girls Aloud laugh.gif

Social source share

I can't believe I am arguing on here about Duffy!

Get yourselves to the next 'Movin On' - you might just hear Girls Aloud laugh.gif

And I can't believe how you totally missed the point g.gif

If it's good enough.....hardly likely Girls Aloud are going to ever make a good record laugh.gif . Don't want to get into a slanging match over this so last post on the thread from me. All about tastes/opinions. I like this (Third Degree not Duffy) and it's got enough of a soul/funk vibe to it to be played at a soul venue. You obviously don't like it, easy don't play it and don't dance if somebody else does........in reality the reaction of people on the dancefloor will dictate whether this version is ever accepted.

Social source share

And I can't believe how you totally missed the point g.gif

If it's good enough.....hardly likely Girls Aloud are going to ever make a good record laugh.gif . Don't want to get into a slanging match over this so last post on the thread from me. All about tastes/opinions. I like this (Third Degree not Duffy) and it's got enough of a soul/funk vibe to it to be played at a soul venue. You obviously don't like it, easy don't play it and don't dance if somebody else does........in reality the reaction of people on the dancefloor will dictate whether this version is ever accepted.

If i heard it out,i would have too think twice about attending the soul venue in question again but in the pub,great !!

Social source share

Let's be honest, the reason that everyone went to USOS last Saturday was to be treated to great, rare soul......I'd guess that most of the attendees desperately avoid local, plastic soul nights that have real diffuculty distinguishing Duffy/Third Degree from real soul..........so why would you ever dream of playing Mercy to a real soul crowd at a rare soul venue :chinstroke: ......there's no excuse for it...:no:

..........and as for trying to justify a play on the grounds that the scene (can we use that term today....:shhh: ) has always played new releases.........yes, it has, and quite righly too IMO...but they have to be SOUL tunes........and just because some really dodgy DJs have played 100's of pop tunes in the past, when they should have known better...........doesn't mean that it's ok to carry on in doing so.....were older, and I'd hoped wiser than that....

I'm not saying I don't like it....it's ok in a Human Bienz, nothing to do with soul whatsoever kinda way......but a soul record ?.......Nope...:no:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

police-badge-wide.gif

FickleFingers

Dear Sir

We, the Northernsoul Scene, have not ever needed to activate the Soul Police practically, there has always been side ways glances and whispered mummers and the odd sneer, this was always enough.

You Sir are playing with the delicate balance with your instance to play this record which sounds neither modern nor retro, yes there is a flavor, faint as it may be of Northernsoul but I must hasten to remind you that most on the scene can not decide on what a faint whiff is and what stinks, this record at best is a muffled fart the type that makes you wonder if Missus Pilkington is cooking another one of her marvelous hot pots, yes you may salivate but it is a fart never the less.

I have had the privilege of meeting you on many occasions and you have always impressed me with your wealth of knowledge and depths of rare soul music, I do now sir feel a little scuppered knowing that you have played this abomination.

I implore you to consider your good standing within the scene and I beg you to reconsider dabbling in Divvy Dom, nothing good will come of this.

If I may suggest that you straiten your self out a bit, 2.Pay attention to how you look. Wear clothes that fit your body well, eliminate flashy clothing and avoid fashion "faux pas" (i.e. baseball hats cocked slightly to the side). A simpler wardrobe will keep the emphasis on you, not your clothes, which will change your outlook. Get regular haircuts.

Always have a straight posture (nobody likes a sloucher).

I, as the official head of the Soul Police, have now taken an interest in you, there is nothing to worry about but I will need to flick through your record box every now and again to avoid this unpleasantness from happening.

I will leave you with this last thought, there are a number of soulful people out there who like me set the pace and give delight and wonderment to the masses but remember that most are divvies who need strong leadership, you have strayed from the path a little but you can find your way back with a little help from us, the Soul Police.

I ask all Soul Sourcers now not to judge our FickleFingers less we be judged our selves. I urge us all now to give FickleFingers the help he needs and if you see him now at a nighter, approach him, give him a hug and tell him that you forgive him for being a Schwanz.

Social source share

And I can't believe how you totally missed the point :chinstroke:

If it's good enough.....hardly likely Girls Aloud are going to ever make a good record :laugh: . Don't want to get into a slanging match over this so last post on the thread from me. All about tastes/opinions. I like this (Third Degree not Duffy) and it's got enough of a soul/funk vibe to it to be played at a soul venue. You obviously don't like it, easy don't play it and don't dance if somebody else does........in reality the reaction of people on the dancefloor will dictate whether this version is ever accepted.

You lot keep going on about how it isn't Duffy (as if that really matters) so who is singing the vocal then?

You must know because you are so sure that it isn't Duffy.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with whether I like the record or not. It's about whether it should get played at a rare soul venue.

Don't play the record? Of course I won't play it - it's not soul!

Don't dance to the record? Of course I won't dance to it - it's not soul!

And how do you know Girls Aloud aren't ever going to make a good record?

Social source share

Let's be honest, the reason that everyone went to USOS last Saturday was to be treated to great, rare soul......I'd guess that most of the attendees desperately avoid local, plastic soul nights that have real diffuculty distinguishing Duffy/Third Degree from real soul..........so why would you ever dream of playing Mercy to a real soul crowd at a rare soul venue g.gif ......there's no excuse for it...no.gif

To be fair, this case in no way reflects on the promoters of USOS. Kev was as disgusted as we were!

It is the venues with promoters that advocate this kind of shite that you need to avoid.

But that's just my opinion of course and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) :lol:

Social source share

To be fair, this case in no way reflects on the promoters of USOS. Kev was as disgusted as we were!

It is the venues with promoters that advocate this kind of shite that you need to avoid.

But that's just my opinion of course and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) thumbup.gif

Absolutely agree with you...USOS was a top night...great to see you and Tony there.. thumbup.gif

Social source share

l second that emotion Joan :lol:.

pissst:shhh:

Dont tell fingers but it's duffy :lol:

Social source share

Great version without doubt!!! Should it be played at a rare soul venue - NO nono.gif

Simple!!! It's good but it ain't rare!!! £6.99 on Acid Jazz - Ebay Item number:380158562666

Sorry Tony but there are tons of great soul records on eBay on Buy It Nows at similar or lower prices....surely you're not saying that only records with big prices should be played?

You lot keep going on about how it isn't Duffy (as if that really matters) so who is singing the vocal then?

You must know because you are so sure that it isn't Duffy.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with whether I like the record or not. It's about whether it should get played at a rare soul venue.

Don't play the record? Of course I won't play it - it's not soul!

Don't dance to the record? Of course I won't dance to it - it's not soul!

And how do you know Girls Aloud aren't ever going to make a good record?

But that's just my opinion of course and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) thumbup.gif

Yes Joan, it's your opinion and I've got no problem with that. What I don't like is the smug, arrogant way you put it across. Your opinion is worth no more or less than anybody elses but you seem to assume that because you say it's shite then anybody who plays it is unworthy of being on the soul scene. To say that people should avoid venues because they might play a song you don't like is crazy....I quite often hear several songs in a night that I don't like but I don't go around saying avoid that venue as it played a crap song.

Social source share

Yes Joan, it's your opinion and I've got no problem with that. What I don't like is the smug, arrogant way you put it across. Your opinion is worth no more or less than anybody elses but you seem to assume that because you say it's shite then anybody who plays it is unworthy of being on the soul scene. To say that people should avoid venues because they might play a song you don't like is crazy....I quite often hear several songs in a night that I don't like but I don't go around saying avoid that venue as it played a crap song.

Actually I cut and paste that bit from your previous post Adam!

I am not being the least bit arrogant. I just would not go to a venue where they played the likes of Duffy, sorry, Third World or whatever it is.

Just the same as I would not go to a disco, or a venue that played R&B, modern or jazz.

I like soul music. This record is not soul music.

And the fact that some people think that it is soul music is just bonkers.

Social source share

I am not being the least bit arrogant. I just would not go to a venue where they played the likes of Duffy, sorry, Third World or whatever it is.

Just the same as I would not go to a disco, or a venue that played R&B, modern or jazz.

Sorry that should say I would not go to a venue where the music policy was such that they played the likes of Duffy, sorry, Third World or whatever it is.

That said, it was but one record out of a hundred or more played on Saturday night, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

Was a bit of a shock though :lol:

Social source share

.....What,you know a venue where they don't play R&B,or Modern at all??!! :lol:

By the way,l would say it is Soul Music! :lol:

I would say the majority of venues I go to don't play modern. And by modern I'm mean tunes from the last couple of decades.

And by R&B I mean the clippity clop cowboy stuff. Just can't get into it at all. Sorry.

If it is just an hour out of the night it isn't no problem. But a whole night of it non stop. No thanks.

No doubt you will all call me a heathen and not a true soul fan but I pay my money and go where they play what I like to hear.

Life's too short to do anything else surely?

Social source share

I know this 'But that's just my opinion of course and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) ' was from one of my posts but thats not what I was referring to. It's the way that you seem to belittle people who disagree with your opinion that to me comes across as very arrogant.

Sorry that should say I would not go to a venue where the music policy was such that they played the likes of Duffy, sorry, Third World or whatever it is.

That said, it was but one record out of a hundred or more played on Saturday night, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

Was a bit of a shock though :laugh:

I would say the majority of venues I go to don't play modern. And by modern I'm mean tunes from the last couple of decades.

And by R&B I mean the clippity clop cowboy stuff. Just can't get into it at all. Sorry.

If it is just an hour out of the night it isn't no problem. But a whole night of it non stop. No thanks.

No doubt you will all call me a heathen and not a true soul fan but I pay my money and go where they play what I like to hear.

Life's too short to do anything else surely?

No, not going to call you a heathen and on this I agree totally....you pay your money, you make your choice thumbsup.gif .

Not sure why I ended up in this argument, I like the song but decided after a few listens that I wouldn't play it out as it wasn't right for my style (or my venue)....guess I'm just defending my right to play it if I wanted to.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Oh dear johnny, ever so sorry,l'm sure both l and Joan did'nt mean for you to get into trouble with "The Soul Police".

oooooooppppps.:unsure:

Sir Mr Fingers, can l just convey a little theory l have about certain new released,re-issued ect ect records, (now if the soul police read this,please can l just explain before you decide wether l need repremanding, this is only a theory thats personal to me, yet l think it may help our soul brother John onto the right path back , IMHO ):sweatingbullets:.

John,my very dear and good friend, we have in the past had indepth discussions about the soulfulness of the music we love and embrace....Yeah!:yes:.

I think it is fair to say that as a result of that we both have great respect for each other and the love of our chosen "genre"...yeah!:yes:.

Remember the night Stafford Rangers shut up shop ? You gave both Harpo and l a gift, remember? course you do. We were humbled by your kindness and said we could'nt take this gift from you especially knowing the value of it,and offered to pay you.

You refused to take money off us and said look at it as a down payment. We questioned "For What ?", I know you will remember what you told us that night and it really touched me to know that you expressed repect not just for me as a person but also for the knowledge, gained over 38yrs of apprenticeship (and still learning) on the scene, l'm sure Harpo felt the same.

So for you l will impart my theory.

Many re-issues, re-mixes ect and it is true mainly on the modern side new releases blah blah blah, you follow what l mean, more often than not,don't actually name the singing artist, why ! don't know.

But my point is sometimes what you read on the label,is'nt necessary the performing artist....E.G , Panevino, some of you may of heard me at time's say "l love Panevino", and l do, yet Panevino is a recording studio in Switzerland, so what l mean is "l love most of the soulful house/garage tracks that they release".

If you listen closely to some records you can recognise certain long standing soul singers, some of these are still recording, they did'nt just stop when the 60's decade became the 70' and so on. Yet their names are'nt always on the label.

Is this making any sense ???? probably not :no:frusty2.gif.

Final thought: I'm sure that Micheal Proctor"Love don't live", is Tom Jones, listen to the voice.....:lol::lol:

Duffy may well be the vocals behind, what's it called? Third degree!:g:.

Like Joan said, the singer on your version and the "Duff Original", they do sound very much alike......and to be honest it's pretty bad luck to have two vocalists that sound that identical....Fookin hell.:lol::lol:

Minging voices l believe Joan said, and l'm sorry but l must agree with her.

By no means does that detract from the fact that l still think you are a top class gezza.

I hope this in some way steers you to a greater understanding of why Joan,I and some others can be forgiven for stating what appears to be the obvious...to us that is.

You'll be ok mate, we will support you through the rough times.:lol:

Love you always,

Sandi xxxxx

Social source share

I know this 'But that's just my opinion of course and we've all got opinions (though mine is the only one that's right) ' was from one of my posts but thats not what I was referring to. It's the way that you seem to belittle people who disagree with your opinion that to me comes across as very arrogant.

It was never my intention to belittle anyone.

If I have done so I apologise.

Social source share

It was never my intention to belittle anyone.

If I have done so I apologise.

I'm sure you didn't but that's the problem with forums....as sometimes people read posts and interpret the meaning in a different way than the poster actually intended. Don't think we've actually met Joan but several people that I have a lot of respect for hold you in high regard, which is probably why I got bit arsey when I felt you were being arrogant. Now this really is my last post on the thread (well probably).....next time I'm out at a venue where you normally attend I'll make sure I come and say hi......I'll even get the drinks in thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm sure you didn't but that's the problem with forums....as sometimes people read posts and interpret the meaning in a different way than the poster actually intended. Don't think we've actually met Joan but several people that I have a lot of respect for hold you in high regard, which is probably why I got bit arsey when I felt you were being arrogant. Now this really is my last post on the thread (well probably).....next time I'm out at a venue where you normally attend I'll make sure I come and say hi......I'll even get the drinks in thumbsup.gif

Look forward to it. Mine's a soda and lime :sweatingbullets:

Social source share