The Third Degree 'mercy'.. (Uk Acid Jazz)

Acceptable to play out ??  

1. 1. What's YOUR verdict.. ???

• 'PLAY IT' at a venue
    • 'NEVER PLAY IT' at a venue

the third degree - mercy - tri sound cd -

Here you go!! great bit of pop though.

F--king hell, i fell asleep by end of intro:laugh: Horrible to my ears...the vocal is naff and the backing music is like it was done by soft cell in the early 80's. Dont ever want to hear that out at a soul do!

Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

F--king hell, i fell asleep by end of introlaugh.gif Horrible to my ears...the vocal is naff and the backing music is like it was done by soft cell in the early 80's. Dont ever want to hear that out at a soul do!

Let your vote do the talking Paul!.With you about soul do :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

That's the crudest piece of sampling I've ever heard - Spencer Davis Group 'I'm A Man' is much more playable than this - but we wouldn't play it so why go for this? (similarly in the past, though it was quite nice to listen to at home, why go for a song sung to the backing of Backstabbers when we wouldn't play THAT at a nighter?).

Dave

Social source share

(similarly in the past, though it was quite nice to listen to at home, why go for a song sung to the backing of Backstabbers when we wouldn't play THAT at a nighter?).

Dave

Absolutely agree with you here and have said so several times in the past. Backstabbers would never have been played. This "Mercy" record - not bad just boring, the intro went on forever.

Social source share

Absolutely agree with you here and have said so several times in the past. Backstabbers would never have been played. This "Mercy" record - not bad just boring, the intro went on forever.

WAs it played at USOS from a cd?ohmy.gif

Intro on the CD version is way, way too long so totally agree with you there Pete. It's also available on 7" which is what Fingers has (I know cos I gave it to him!). No long intro on the 7" just kicks straight in.

Damn, I've posted on here again :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Dont think so,off vinyl on Acid Jazz..........you will have to ask Johnny he's buggered off embaraced like. whistling.gif

Tjhis is what the Acid jazz website says about the single

"As Duffy's timeless pop classic was crowned the hit song of last year, south London production team The Third Degree hit upon the idea of recording it again, but this time with the proper 60's soul sound the track deserves!Think big heavy horns, a driving funky beat and a crisp and clear soulful vocal. It's what Mark Ronson would have done and Duffy should have done.

The single is being released in March on an extremely lim-ited 7 inch vinyl only run, so if you want a copy, you had better put your name down. Heavy support already from BBC Radio Two, BBC 6Music and Radio London has en-sured that the buzz is beginning to grow. The b-side is that classic northern soul staple "the instrumental"!"

Funnily enough it doesn't say whether they 're-recorded' the vocals, or just the backing.

Social source share

Intro on the CD version is way, way too long so totally agree with you there Pete. It's also available on 7" which is what Fingers has (I know cos I gave it to him!). No long intro on the 7" just kicks straight in.

Damn, I've posted on here again :sweatingbullets:

Edited it to the short version for you all.

the third degree - mercy - tri sound cd -

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I can't believe I am arguing on here about Duffy!

Get yourselves to the next 'Movin On' - you might just hear Girls Aloud laugh.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not happy at all to come in from work and find someone taking the piss out of our venue. We've worked hard to get our music policy right over the last few months and i never have a bad word to say about anyone elses events on here, i certainly wouldn't comment on an event i'd never even been too.

Just for the record i don't like it and wouldn't play it out. Can't believe i even need to say that. angry.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i've voted to never play it at a soul venue ...cos i wouldn't .

however i did play it as "it's a groove thing " cos it's the kind of do it should be played at

Social source share

I'm not happy at all to come in from work and find someone taking the piss out of our venue. We've worked hard to get our music policy right over the last few months and i never have a bad word to say about anyone elses events on here, i certainly wouldn't comment on an event i'd never even been too.

Just for the record i don't like it and wouldn't play it out. Can't believe i even need to say that. angry.gif

Stand down Matt I wasn't being serious!

Adam said he would play it out at a venue. That and other brand new tunes if he liked them enough.

I wasn't seriously saying you would play Girls Aloud at your venue ffs, hence the laughing smilie.

And for the record - I can't believe I am having to say that!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Stand down Matt I wasn't being serious!

Adam said he would play it out at a venue. That and other brand new tunes if he liked them enough.

I wasn't seriously saying you would play Girls Aloud at your venue ffs, hence the laughing smilie.

And for the record - I can't believe I am having to say that!

Ok, sorry. Just saw red. You're one of the good guys (girls) on here Joan. thumbup.gif

P.S. If Adam does play it at Move On i'll be forced to do a Butch and frisbie it across the room...

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Ok, sorry. Just saw red. You're one of the good guys (girls) on here Joan. thumbup.gif

P.S. If Adam does play it at Move On i'll be forced to do a Butch and frisbie it across the room...

Doh !!

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Knowing your luck Matt, it would do an 'Odd Job' and take someone's head off laugh.gif

It'd be hard to hit anyone given the numbers we've had in recently... sad.gif

Social source share

I'm almost tempted now, just for the comedy factor :lol:.

As I mentioned earlier, I like this but I wouldn't play it out at as it doesn't fit my usual style and it doesn't fit our music policy at Move On. However I would have no objection to hearing it played at a venue when I'm out.

But...I might well play the Cabbage Alley track which is a fairly new release as well.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

But...I might well play the Cabbage Alley track which is a fairly new release as well.

I've gone off that one as well now. Anyone want to buy two copies? yes.gif

Social source share

I've gone off that one as well now. Anyone want to buy two copies? yes.gif

The problem with Cabbage Alley is it's just too long and the last minute and half doesn't really do anything....which is a shame as the first part is great. I have played it out once when I was guesting at a venue and reaction started well but you could see people getting bored of it then quick glance at the record and it's got a third left to play :lol:. Trying to find a point around the 2min 2.30min mark where it can be brought to an early end without making it sound like it's been abruptly cut off.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The problem with Cabbage Alley is it's just too long and the last minute and half doesn't really do anything....which is a shame as the first part is great. I have played it out once when I was guesting at a venue and reaction started well but you could see people getting bored of it then quick glance at the record and it's got a third left to play excl.gif. Trying to find a point around the 2min 2.30min mark where it can be brought to an early end without making it sound like it's been abruptly cut off.

Back to the thread a bit. I think one of my problems with Third Degree and Cabbage Alley is they just sound a bit over produced and a bit too new (if that makes sense). Give me rickety old 60s production values any day. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

well i was there last Friday shame on the west mids to not support angry.gif it some great music was played as well thumbup.gif

Was good to see you there Ted......can you bring a bus load with you next time :lol:

Back to the thread a bit. I think one of my problems with Third Degree and Cabbage Alley is they just sound a bit over produced and a bit too new (if that makes sense). Give me rickety old 60s production values any day. thumbsup.gif

Yep know what you mean. My problem with most new release stuff is that the first time I hear something it sounds great but I'm bored of it after just a few more listens. Whereas with plenty of 60s/some 70s it takes a long time before it sounds boring to my ears and often sort of grow on you and sound better the more you hear them.

Social source share

Tjhis is what the Acid jazz website says about the single

"As Duffy's timeless pop classic was crowned the hit song of last year, south London production team The Third Degree hit upon the idea of recording it again, but this time with the proper 60's soul sound the track deserves!Think big heavy horns, a driving funky beat and a crisp and clear soulful vocal. It's what Mark Ronson would have done and Duffy should have done.

The single is being released in March on an extremely lim-ited 7 inch vinyl only run, so if you want a copy, you had better put your name down. Heavy support already from BBC Radio Two, BBC 6Music and Radio London has en-sured that the buzz is beginning to grow. The b-side is that classic northern soul staple "the instrumental"!"

Funnily enough it doesn't say whether they 're-recorded' the vocals, or just the backing.

Totally agree about the Mark Ronson comparison, just what I was thinking before I read that. OK I like this record, but then I also like a lot of stuff by Mark Ronson. BUT would not expect to hear them at a rare soul venue.

Right cards on the table.. I like the record but was surprised to hear it. Fingers put his head above the parapet as such, but I think this was in the context of a set which had other records that did the same. Denise Lasalle.. I don't think that was any more 'appropriate' at this venue than the 3rd degree record. IMO. In the context of your set as a whole, which came across to me as intentionally quirky and put together to make us question the idea of what constututes 'rare soul'- the record fitted. But 3rd degree was just 'out there' enough to make people question, more so than the other records.. because this record is NEW!

The problem seems to be with the 'Duffy' STYLE vocal. Perhaps you should have just left the instrumental on, Mr F, when you realised your error, then maybe the controversy would have been lessened!??

In conclusion, YES to this record at a mixed styles raregroove/ jazz/ beat / mod type night - but at a rare soul venue, unfortunately nooooo. I like it but it's got too much of a big-band/James Bond/ Shirley Bassey sound for a soul night. Sounds good loud in the car though :glare: .

Sorry Fingers! Fact is I'd still dance to it if I heard it and I'd do so on my own if necessary- but I like jazz, big-band, funk, latin, raregroove, disco... and let's be honest, not THAT many people at rare soul nights like much other than... rare soul.

Michele.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just read Finger's play list and realised he played Cabbage Alley alongside Third Degree. He's nothing if not adventurous at least.

Have to admit we've been playing Denise Lasalle (well me, i'll take the rap) at Move On for the last few months and personally i love it and think it's a great version. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Totally agree about the Mark Ronson comparison, just what I was thinking before I read that. OK I like this record, but then I also like a lot of stuff by Mark Ronson. BUT would not expect to hear them at a rare soul venue.

Right cards on the table.. I like the record but was surprised to hear it. Fingers put his head above the parapet as such, but I think this was in the context of a set which had other records that did the same. Denise Lasalle.. I don't think that was any more 'appropriate' at this venue than the 3rd degree record. IMO. In the context of your set as a whole, which came across to me as intentionally quirky and put together to make us question the idea of what constututes 'rare soul'- the record fitted. But 3rd degree was just 'out there' enough to make people question, more so than the other records.. because this record is NEW!

The problem seems to be with the 'Duffy' STYLE vocal. Perhaps you should have just left the instrumental on, Mr F, when you realised your error, then maybe the controversy would have been lessened!??

In conclusion, YES to this record at a mixed styles raregroove/ jazz/ beat / mod type night - but at a rare soul venue, unfortunately nooooo. I like it but it's got too much of a big-band/James Bond/ Shirley Bassey sound for a soul night. Sounds good loud in the car though glare.gif .

Sorry Fingers! Fact is I'd still dance to it if I heard it and I'd do so on my own if necessary- but I like jazz, big-band, funk, latin, raregroove, disco... and let's be honest, not THAT many people at rare soul nights like much other than... rare soul.

Michele.

ohmy.gifohmy.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gif Ah well.. There goes my ONE AND ONLY fan !! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Johnny 'The Duff' Fingers.. shades.gif

Social source share

Denise Lasalle - Right Track - Parka, you put it on Refosoul last June Ken. thumbsup.gif

Great tune not to be compared with Third whatsits,played it a few times out till i sold it :D

Social source share

Great tune not to be compared with Third whatsits,played it a few times out till i sold it biggrin.gif

Absolutely it's a great tune, but it's still eyebrows over the parapet (as opposed to whole upper half of body with 3rd degree.)

NOW, by way of comparison here is another 'retro' sounding track by Bizarre Inc from 1996, 'Surprise'. Choose track 3 and note similarity with Ronson, Duffy, remixed Shirley Bassey /Elvis tracks, etc. Also note slightly annoying twangy guitar break, similar to patience-testing bangy house percussion bit in 3rd degree track.

https://www.deezer.co...sic/bizarre-inc

Had a job finding this! (one-hit wonders I think) I have the CD single cause I liked it at the time, but I would be outraged if I heard it out at a soul night! I also like some stuff by Swing out Sister; can we play that?? Maybe it's time for a 'loosely soul-related music' night? Yeah why not!?

If we start down this road it's a slippery slope...

Michele

Edited by Catfish
Social source share

This thread is losing its way,what Denise Lasalle unsure.gif

Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear- it was one of the other tracks Johnny played- I was considering 3rd degree in the context of the rest of his set.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It's fine in the right context, a small local night, perhaps with a crowd made up largely of young folk who are not regulars on the scene, used to bridge the gap, like a spoon of sugar along with the good medicine.

As a DJ tool in this context it's fine. No different to a DJ sticking on a few classics at the start of a set to get the floor buzzing again after the DJ before them has cleared it with wishy washy dross. Or spinning a familiar and similar sounding classic before sticking on a newie that the crowd have not heard before.

But at a rare soul night, on the soul scene, at a serious night with folk traveling to get to it, personally I wouldn't think it has a place there.

Saying that, I'd prefer to hear this being played out rather than a washed up name from the past playing bootlegs and CDs at a big allnighter. There is no excuse for that kind of stunt on the scene.

Interesting thought about what folk would think had it not been done by Duffy first. Because let's face it, it's just not cool amongst rare soul fans because of Duffy, no matter how good it is or is not.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Got given a copy of Mercy... Souded pretty good in the wee small hours at home after a night out...

Does this poll mean just rare soul events???

Could see that track getting plays at some hip city retro events for sure...

I vote not for the rare soul event but would lose no sleep at all if it was played.. Not a bad track on first listen but not sure it would stand the test of time...

Some bloke wrote that its not rare at £6.99... Would he say the same thing about Nicole Willis??? same price but a much better tune imo and does get played at some rare soul events and does/ did go down pretty well..

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Got given a copy of Mercy... Souded pretty good in the wee small hours at home after a night out...

I vote not for the rare soul event but would lose no sleep at all if it was played.. Not a bad track on first listen but not sure it would stand the test of time...

Some bloke wrote that its not rare at £6.99... Would he say the same thing about Nicole Willis??? same price but a much better tune imo and does get played at some rare soul events and does/ did go down pretty well..

Here Stevie, Nicole Willis took the roof off at your wedding, Lyd threw it down didn't she?! thumbsup.gif

Nice post, got to agree with it.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Definitely!!! There's a time and place for everything!!! They are both good but the USOS wasn't the place!!! Also may I add another cracking tunes Mayer Hawthorne - Love Is All Right - Another one that you could play, but should you?

Social source share