Betty Wilson, I'm Yours On J.m. Auction

Suinoz

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've mentioned this before, but there is a CD from 10 or so years back that has a studio take, or simply a far superior quality take of this 45 on it, as well as other releases from the label, I've always thought this 45 is very dull in its sound for the money you spend....

The CD track I mention has very prominent tambourine at the start... and its crystal clear!! a whole new experience you might say.

M:wicked:

Social source share

Guest soulhawks45s

I've mentioned this before, but there is a CD from 10 or so years back that has a studio take, or simply a far superior quality take of this 45 on it, as well as other releases from the label, I've always thought this 45 is very dull in its sound for the money you spend....

The CD track I mention has very prominent tambourine at the start... and its crystal clear!! a whole new experience you might say.

I second that Malc, When I finaly got a recording of this years ago, it sounded so muffled I thought it must be the tape ..... But the vinyl sound is just the same !

I Haven't forgotten what I promised ya by the way .... In the next week or so mate

Edited by soulhawks45s
Social source share

Current climate I reckon £800 ish

I bought mine from some lad advertising it in echoes about 20 year ago, woke him up about 7.00 on a Wednesday morning

he wasn;t too fookin happy :lol: but I was, got it for £150 awsome choon :ohmy:

Social source share

and where can I get a copy of this cd? :lol:

Social source share

The difference between the alternate mix and the 45 is nothing short of astonishing. All of the mudiness and lack of dynamics which the record exhibits has gone. When I was asked to organise the funeral music for a friend a few years ago Simon T kindly sent me an MP3 of the alternate cut. I'll see if I can dig it out as it takes the whole thing to a different level.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I second that Malc, When I finaly got a recording of this years ago, it sounded so muffled I thought it must be the tape ..... But the vinyl sound is just the same !

I Haven't forgotten what I promised ya by the way .... In the next week or so mate

No offence mate, but I think your signature is a bit o.t.t. isn't it?

Social source share

Guest soulhawks45s

No offence mate, but I think your signature is a bit o.t.t. isn't it?

Thanks for the constructive criticism mate, and noted

Social source share

Wow that alt version sounds so different and so much better. What is the cd called, and is it available, anybody know ?

btw didn't some american guy turn up at the B'ham record fair a few years back with a handfull of mint unplayed copies, and were they £60 each, but you could only buy one per person? or am i getting mixed up with another tune? John Weston knows, John are you there ?

Social source share

you got one for sale then Adam ?,hope youre keeping well mate

ATB

Salmon

Hi Salmon, yes mate I'm doing well hope you are? Do have one for sale, will PM ya later.

Can't believe you're seriously suggesting Don't Give Up as a substitute for I'm Yours...... ohmy.gif.....nowhere near the same league IMO....no.gif

Hi Cliff, couldn't agree more :thumbsup: 'I'm Yours' is dreary, uninspiring and boring whilst 'Don't Give Up' sounds fresh and full of energy.....as you said different league :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Salmon, yes mate I'm doing well hope you are? Do have one for sale, will PM ya later.

Hi Cliff, couldn't agree more :thumbsup: 'I'm Yours' is dreary, uninspiring and boring whilst 'Don't Give Up' sounds fresh and full of energy.....as you said different league biggrin.gif

Check you headphones....I think you're getting some distortion.....DGU is an awful tuneless mess, whist IY is a an immense slab of high quality soul....some people can tell the difference you know..... :thumbsup: ...hard to believe they came out of the same studio

Social source share

Check you headphones....I think you're getting some distortion.....DGU is an awful tuneless mess, whist IY is a an immense slab of high quality soul....some people can tell the difference you know.....:thumbup: ...hard to believe they came out of the same studio...6.gif

Ahh thanks for that, it's so nice that you're willing to share your immaculate taste with a tone deaf monkey like myself :thumbsup:

Checked my headphones and they seem to be fine, perhaps you should check your ears in case they are in need of a good clean......IY is fine to listen to at home whilst relaxing in the bath etc :(. But when I'm out it's not going to get my pulse racing with excitement.....in fact I'd use it as an excuse to go outside and have a smoke....but the awful tuneless mess that is DGU would get me back inside in an instant.

Social source share

Any ideas what this might fetch in John's auction. Was'nt this worth just 60 pounds not too many years ago. Great tune anyway's.

as a side note, i think that hathaway was based in DC at that time attending howard university, so he wasn't really travelling from chicago

Social source share

Any ideas what this might fetch in John's auction. Was'nt this worth just 60 pounds not too many years ago. Great tune anyway's.

as a side note, i think that hathaway was based in DC at that time attending howard university, so he wasn't really travelling from chicago

Social source share

Ahh thanks for that, it's so nice that you're willing to share your immaculate taste with a tone deaf monkey like myself whistling.gif

Checked my headphones and they seem to be fine, perhaps you should check your ears in case they are in need of a good clean......IY is fine to listen to at home whilst relaxing in the bath etc thumbsup.gif. But when I'm out it's not going to get my pulse racing with excitement.....in fact I'd use it as an excuse to go outside and have a smoke....but the awful tuneless mess that is DGU would get me back inside in an instant.

That's the difference I guess, I prefer quality soul that sits on a great production and a dance beat, whereas you appear to want a beat first, without an arrangement, and with soul content being relegated to an incedental part.

I bought both 45s 20 odd years ago, "I'm Yours" because it's a stand out tune, and "Don't Give Up", bought blind because I'd expected a similar quality. DGU didn't even get time for a card sleeve before I sold it on......."pulse racing" unsure.gif ....you're very easily excited, even for a tone deaf monkey...laugh.gif ..

Social source share

That's the difference I guess, I prefer quality soul that sits on a great production and a dance beat, whereas you appear to want a beat first, without an arrangement, and with soul content being relegated to an incedental part.

I bought both 45s 20 odd years ago, "I'm Yours" because it's a stand out tune, and "Don't Give Up", bought blind because I'd expected a similar quality. DGU didn't even get time for a card sleeve before I sold it on......."pulse racing" unsure.gif ....you're very easily excited, even for a tone deaf monkey...:yes: ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just love the way you've jumped to (an incorrect) conclusion about my musical preferences based on 2 songs....but the pure genius is how at the same time you manage to make it clear that you believe your own tastes are far superior......genius :yes:.

If you read back my post about 'pulse racing' you'll see I said IY doesn't get my pulse racing.....didn't say DGU does, though it is far more likely to do so than IY. IY is a nice soul record but thats as far as it goes for me, wouldn't object to hearing it out but I'd be walking off the dance floor when it came on. At venues I'd rather hear something a bit more exciting. IY is £800-£1200 totally wasted IMO there's a huge pile of superior records you could buy for that money. Got to add that the CD version thats been posted up is much better.

I shall return to being a tone deaf monkey, and you can resume your position as a superior soul :thumbup::lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Fair enough....ok...my last words on the subject 'cos I'm now bored of this...yes.gif ......

..............I think it's safe to say that we won't be exchanging CDs anytime soon....no.giflaugh.gif

Actually......why not? I'll put 20 tracks (taken from stuff in my recently diminished collection) on CD and post it to you if you PM your address over. You might even like some of them and maybe it will make you realise that you can't make assumptions about other peoples tastes based on them having a differing opinion to you on 2 songs :thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

True - It was 1967

Now then - the members of the Four Bars who sang on "I'm Yours" were - Melvin Butler, Elsworth Grimes and Eddie Daye, so it should have been the 3 bars....

and Betty should have been Goldielocks of course..

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

True - It was 1967

Now then - the members of the Four Bars who sang on "I'm Yours" were - Melvin Butler, Elsworth Grimes and Eddie Daye, so it should have been the 3 bars....

and Betty should have been Goldielocks of course..

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giftickled me.. !!

[Adam - mate.. If only you could market that (never cease to crease me) WIT of yours.. I'm just LOVIN' it !! thumbup.gif ]

(A 'as sick-minded as Mr Soul45er'..) Fingers shhh.gif

Social source share

[Adam - mate.. If only you could market that (never cease to crease me) WIT of yours.. I'm just LOVIN' it !! thumbup.gif ]

(A 'as sick-minded as Mr Soul45er'..) Fingers shhh.gif

:D:D

I try me best John, keeps my single brain cell fit and healthy!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!