Calling All Scottish Soul Clubs

Guest angf

Calling all Scottish Soul Clubs

Scottish Soul Collective

All Dayer - Sunday 08 November - 2pm till late

East Lothian Soul Club are organising a Scottish Soul Club Showcase for our next All Dayer on Sunday 08th November. We are asking for a DJ representative from Soul Clubs all over Scotland and would be delighted if your club would be interested in taking part in this event. All we ask is that you give us the name of who will be representing your club along with your flyer/badge so as we can promote all of the clubs at the venue. Once we have collated all of the interested clubs, we will get back to you with full details and DJ times. We will have 2 rooms and are hoping for all of the clubs to participate and show some Scottish unity under one roof!

Invitations are currently being issued however if you would like to notify us in advance of your clubs interest, please email darrenfynan@hotmail.co.uk or telephone 01875 612402 or 0751 647 6189.

Thank you for you interest.

• Replies 70
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

LOOKING FORWARD 2 THIS ONE

HOPE U GET A GOOD RESPONCE FROM CLUBS

GOOD LUCK

MICHAEL

Thank you Michael (what's with the Sunday name? LOL). So far the response has been very positive with the clubs up for it. We need to get everyone "talking" again and take things forward. It possibly might be an uphill struggle to pull it off but we're up for it. We're not doing this All Dayer for ourselves but basically for the good of the Scottish Soul Scene. We are just hoping for a good day/night, without taking it too seriously (it's only music after all!) and everyone enjoying themselves and listening to the quality we have got here in Scotland. We will get the flyers out with all the details asap.

Guest dundeedavie

Thank you Michael (what's with the Sunday name? LOL). So far the response has been very positive with the clubs up for it. We need to get everyone "talking" again and take things forward. It possibly might be an uphill struggle to pull it off but we're up for it. We're not doing this All Dayer for ourselves but basically for the good of the Scottish Soul Scene. We are just hoping for a good day/night, without taking it too seriously (it's only music after all!) and everyone enjoying themselves and listening to the quality we have got here in Scotland. We will get the flyers out with all the details asap.

so which clubs are being invited ?

so which clubs are being invited ?

Invitations are currently being issued however if you would like to notify us in advance of your clubs interest, please email darrenfynan@hotmail.co.uk or telephone 01875 612402 or 0751 647 6189.

We are asking for a DJ representative from Soul Clubs all over Scotland and would be delighted if your club would be interested in taking part in this event.

We would like Soul Clubs from all over Scotland to take part. "Collective" being the operative word. Apologies if my earlier post did not make that clear. We have emailed those that we can find email details for at the moment and then we will endeavour to contact the rest by 'phone/websites. We used the Soul Scotland information as a starting point and will take it forward from there. We have also posted it up on forums. Apart from that it is an open invitation to all clubs and it would be great to hear from them all. Hopefully we will be able to finalise it all in the next week or so to enable us to get the flyers out. Therefore if any clubs have not heard from us as of yet, and are interested, please get in touch- the more, the merrier.

Forgot to say - We are open to suggestions on how best to utilise the 2nd room?

Edited by angf

This is a great idea in theory but the downfall for me personally is the fact a sunday alldayer, its just short a 3 hour drive from aberdeen so if it's a 1 o'clock finish then it's 4 before i,m home, not good when people have get up for work the next day, think you'd have a better response to a saturday gig........ just my tuppence worth :thumbsup:

Harry

This is a great idea in theory but the downfall for me personally is the fact a sunday alldayer, its just short a 3 hour drive from aberdeen so if it's a 1 o'clock finish then it's 4 before i,m home, not good when people have get up for work the next day, think you'd have a better response to a saturday gig........ just my tuppence worth thumbsup.gif

Harry

Appreciate your comment Harry and tend to agree. We do 4 All Dayers per year and have tried it on a Saturday but it made no real difference, ppl still arrive between 5-6pm so it turns in to a soul nite. You could always try to leave 9pm/10pm and come down earlier to make the most of it. I always try to do that when I go the Hibs Sunday All Dayers, but the best laid plans and all that, it is normally the Tuesday before I see work again and the Hib's finishes at 11pm - whistling.gif- don't know what happens - Oh I know, it's called the Iona Bar which closes at 2am!!!

Edited by angf

Forgot to say - We are open to suggestions on how best to utilise the 2nd room?

sorry being a southerner should not really get involved but would'nt a boxing ring be bestwicked.gif

Now me wonders why you said that tongue.gif ............could it be in context to another well read thread at the moment.

All Southerners welcome to join in laugh.gif .

the second room

why not try a r b room with a bit of crossover ect

with guys like dundee davie roddy brian

and keith keddy

think it would take the roof of

say hi 2 daz thumbup.gif

couldn't think of anything WORSE than a R&B room :) imo

UPDATE:

Confirmed Scottish Soul Clubs so far are:

East Lothian Soul Club

Spiders Web

Bonnyrigg Soul Club

Granite City Soul Club

Dundee Northern Soul Club

Aberdeen Northern Soul Club

Pineapple Soul

Hibs Club

Tentative replies from some and waiting to hear from others. As stated it is an Open Invitation so if we have missed anyone, and you would like to take part, please get in touch as soon as possible.

All clubs involved have been very positive and appreciate what we are all trying to achieve with this Collective. There has been the usual debates of late regarding Oldies/Newies, OVO/Boots, too many nights on, low attendances etc so hopefully we can all take something positive from this venture and turn it around. We have well established and respected clubs in Scotland so perhaps everyone being involved in this can provide some of the answers to the questions that we have all been asking of late. I know from personal experience, our last all dayer's numbers were down but I have to say hand on heart the sounds were fantastic from both our resident and guest DJs so it is a shame people are missing out on this. I am sure the same can be said for all of our Scottish clubs so we can at least try and address the "issues" and take them forward. I don't pretend to know the answers, I am merely a punter, but we can at least try. As I have said we have well established clubs in Scotland who rightfully deserve their place as we all know the effort it takes to organise events. It has also of course to be recognised that we do have top class Scottish DJs who often guest at our clubs and these guys are to be respected for what they can offer us. Who knows, if this collective does take off, one of the clubs can host the next one to showcase our Scottish DJs. This will only be what we make of it. Yes there are people who want to hear the same old, same old but surely it is up to our clubs to address that and educate?

Finally, given the nature of this event, it goes without saying that all Clubs will be playing OVO.

how about making the 2nd room for guys and girls with no links with any of the soul clubs that will be represented in the main room but who want to spin some quality tunes ? more a open decks collectors and conoisseurs type of things same ovo rules and might be a chance to hear something different :(

how about making the 2nd room for guys and girls with no links with any of the soul clubs that will be represented in the main room. More a open decks collectors and conoisseurs type of thing and might be a chance to hear something different :lol:

:(

Jock O'Connor

Alan Paterson

Andy Whitmore

Malcolm Dunn

Colin Law

Andy Dennison

Keith Money

Fraser Dunn

Kenny Burrell

Lenny Harkins

Edited by soulmac

:thumbup:

Jock O'Connor

Alan Paterson

Andy Whitmore

Malcolm Dunn

Colin Law

Andy Dennison

Keith Money

Fraser Dunn

Kenny Burrell

Lenny Harkins

imo...It's guy's like these that should be given the platform by a soul collective to give Scotland the music injection that is much needed. I for one would support any venture that would get these guys Djing wider around these shores. The quality these fella's put out is unbelievable.

H

:lol:

Jock O'Connor

Alan Paterson

Andy Whitmore

Malcolm Dunn

Colin Law

Andy Dennison

Keith Money

Fraser Dunn

Kenny Burrell

Lenny Harkins

:thumbup: Those were the exact same bunch of guys that i was thinking of, great minds think alike :D

Edited by BIG H

imo...It's guy's like these that should be given the platform by a soul collective to give Scotland the music injection that is much needed. I for one would support any venture that would get these guys Djing wider around these shores. The quality these fella's put out is unbelievable.

H

Totally, totally agree.... this is the cream of the crop........ and that line up would bring soaring numbers, best utilised in the main room methinks..... and this is the kind of line up I would love to see at a Scottish All Nighter. There is one other name missing and that would be John MacDonald, who has tremendous taste and knows his onions and I cant understand why I don,t see him behind the decks more often!

Kind regards

Phyllis

Edited by philly

Totally, totally agree.... this is the cream of the crop........ and that line up would bring soaring numbers, best utilised in the main room methinks..... and this is the kind of line up I would love to see at a Scottish All Nighter. There is one other name missing and that would be John MacDonald, who has tremendous taste and knows his onions and I cant understand why I don,t see him behind the decks more often!

Kind regards

Phyllis

Seconded! :lol:

Guest dundeedavie

Kind regards

Phyllis

if it was that easy why hasn't anyone done it ? i mean there isn't any unexpected names on that list and it would have been a similar list 10 years ago and maybe that says something as well

if it was that easy why hasn't anyone done it ? i mean there isn't any unexpected names on that list and it would have been a similar list 10 years ago and maybe that says something as well

Nobody said it was easy...... and I am pleased I am not a promoter, I take my hat off to all the guys who have local nights and are looking at ways to progress forward, I do know that the scene needs to support each other and regain the interest of the "lost souls", and the only way they can do this is to provide quality sounds and quality Djs......

Dundee has always provided this and I know for their next night 31st October they have a fantastic guest lined up, so this a great opportunity for the collective to show their support and give this guy a great Scottish welcome, the reward...... sounds to blow the cobwebs out them ears. yes.gif

I will obviously leave the revealing of this guest to John....... watch the events space and show your support. thumbup.gif

Regards

Phyllis

Guest dundeedavie

Nobody said it was easy...... and I am pleased I am not a promoter, I take my hat off to all the guys who have local nights and are looking at ways to progress forward, I do know that the scene needs to support each other and regain the interest of the "lost souls", and the only way they can do this is to provide quality sounds and quality Djs......

Dundee has always provided this and I know for their next night 31st October they have a fantastic guest lined up, so this a great opportunity for the collective to show their support and give this guy a great Scottish welcome, the reward...... sounds to blow the cobwebs out them ears. yes.gif

I will obviously leave the revealing of this guest to John....... watch the events space and show your support. thumbup.gif

Regards

Phyllis

hmm I wonder , there is a guy playing in Scotland the night before .... Wonder if it's him

Guest dundeedavie

Hmmm....... no.giflaugh.gif Cant see anything on the SoulScotland calendar for the night before... g.gif

i now know and it's not who i was thinking ..... and you gotta look outside the box to see who's on , not just soul scotland

Guest dundeedavie

to save you scouring the net lol Liam Quinn is playing in Glasgow at Friday St the night before Dundee.

believe me i'm the last person to advertise Liam but whether right or wrong there is a buzz around him

Edited by dundeedavie

to save you scouring the net lol Liam Quinn is playing in Glasgow at Friday St the night before Dundee.

believe me i'm the last person to advertise Liam but whether right or wrong there is a buzz around him

Now that is looking like a fantastic weekend to be had in Scotland, 2 great DJs in their own right, playing up here for us lucky Jocks. Friday 30th Glasgow and Saturday 31st Dundee..... and only an hour or so drive between the two. What a weekend for the Scottish Collective........ get on board guys and show your support. thumbsup.gif

Phyllis

Don't know about thinking at the moment Davie..... too busy trying to remember all the bones, muscles and systems of the human body... and having to endure a human autopsy.....

Edited by philly
Guest dundeedavie

Now that is looking like a fantastic weekend to be had in Scotland, 2 great DJs in their own right, playing up here for us lucky Jocks. Friday 30th Glasgow and Saturday 31st Dundee..... and only an hour or so drive between the two. What a weekend for the Scottish Collective........ get on board guys and show your support. thumbsup.gif

Phyllis

why is it a weekend for the scottish soul collective ? only one club is involved in each night ...why is that a collective ?

surely the collective would be (cos it doesn't actually exist) a co-operation between the participating clubs in regards clashing etc

why is it a weekend for the scottish soul collective ? only one club is involved in each night ...why is that a collective ?

surely the collective would be (cos it doesn't actually exist) a co-operation between the participating clubs in regards clashing etc

No Davie, I probably didn't phrase that properly.... I was meaning "Collective" as in promoters, Djs and punters to show their support and unite, as is what is being proposed, I think thats what was said...??? I thought this Collective get together was to showcase the clubs and Djs but also to support each other and do something about the low numbers coming through the door? So why wait.... lets show support now, surely thats a good thing?

Phyllis

Guest dundeedavie

No Davie, I probably didn't phrase that properly.... I was meaning "Collective" as in promoters, Djs and punters to show their support and unite, as is what is being proposed, I think thats what was said...??? I thought this Collective get together was to showcase the clubs and Djs but also to support each other and do something about the low numbers coming through the door? So why wait.... lets show support now, surely thats a good thing?

Phyllis

it's a lovely vision ... bit like communism , all working for the benefit of the collective , remember what happened there ?

whistling.gif me been a south of the boarder lad but working in scotland, got to sayone hell of a D.J. line up hope i can make it good luck with the alldayer regards johnogood.gif

Johno, that is only a dream.... I can't foresee that line-up EVER happening, wish it would, I would love to be proved wrong on this......

Phyllis

Dundee has always provided this and I know for their next night 31st October they have a fantastic guest lined up, so this a great opportunity for the collective to show their support and give this guy a great Scottish welcome, the reward...... sounds to blow the cobwebs out them ears. :yes:

I will obviously leave the revealing of this guest to John....... watch the events space and show your support. :thumbup:

Regards

Phyllis

Guest dundeedavie

Johno, that is only a dream.... I can't foresee that line-up EVER happening, wish it would, I would love to be proved wrong on this......

Phyllis

let's say for arguments sake it's the line up everyone wants to see ...anyhoo what happens after it ? where does the scene go , cos the only way after that would be down . and i imagine at that event there would be more english people there than scottish because i'd say there is about 50 scottish punters who want to hear something different and 25 of them are dj's

Guest daz fi the t

Jeez, it's only folk getting together to play a few records, have a bit of a dance and God forbid, some fun.

Should it really be this hard?

Out thought's exactly, Joan! It is all about a "little togetherness", good music, good banter and even a few records getting thrown in air :laugh: . Be good to see you there - I can help you with your study homework if you want :thumbup: . ATB Darren and Ange

Guest daz fi the t

That lot would make for a good day/night out for sure!

gary

OK so it is perhaps it is a "dream team" line up but we've been lucky to have 7 out of 10 of them at East Lothian Soul Club (albeit not all at the same time!) so anything is possible if you wish so - who said that? Peter Pan :thumbup: . Would everyone just please lighten up!