Best Soul Scream ?

Dylan

quite a few 45s have a male / female lead vocal who holds a scream for a long time.

which is the best ?

buddy grubbs at the end of his bell 45 is very good. I tried to keep the note and nearly passed out.

Must say i only sing like this whne nobody else is around. biggrin.gif

kim tolliver is another....

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

quite a few 45s have a male / female lead vocal who holds a scream for a long time.

which is the best ?

buddy grubbs at the end of his bell 45 is very good. I tried to keep the note and nearly passed out.

Bobby Womack on "How could you break my heart" aint half bad and Wilson Picket on a great ballad called "I,ve come a long way" is also absolutely chilling, might post it up.

Kev

Social source share

Jerry Wexler once said that a lot of soul singers could scream, but Wilson Pickett could scream in tune, at will, every time.

I've thought for a long time that "I've Come A Long Way" is probably the greatest soul record ever made, bar none: Pickett, Womack and the American Studios band at the very height of their collective powers, elevating southern soul to an artform.

Hermon Hitson's screaming is also rather good on most of his records.

Social source share

Jerry Wexler once said that a lot of soul singers could scream, but Wilson Pickett could scream in tune, at will, every time.

I've thought for a long time that "I've Come A Long Way" is probably the greatest soul record ever made, bar none: Pickett, Womack and the American Studios band at the very height of their collective powers, elevating southern soul to an artform.

Hermon Hitson's screaming is also rather good on most of his records.

I salute your taste garethx, right up my street

Kev

Social source share

Martha on I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing because it mixes/morphs into a sax instrumental and you can't spot the join.

roscoe shelton - running for my life - SS7 -

My favourit screamer,for the same reason :)

Social source share

Agree Pickett was the Master!

But seeing as I love this other guy equally, how about a nomination for the late, great, Tyrone Davis, by flipping over "Turn Back the Hands Of Time" to experience the totally fabulous "I Keep Coming Back".

Its blood churning, seriously chilling stuff and happens to be one of the finest double siders on this, or any other, planet (IMO)!

:)

Sean

Social source share

But seeing as I love this other guy equally, how about a nomination for the late, great, Tyrone Davis, by flipping over "Turn Back the Hands Of Time" to experience the totally fabulous "I Keep Coming Back".

Its blood churning, seriously chilling stuff and happens to be one of the finest double siders on this, or any other, planet (IMO)!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Brilliant tune. One of my favourite records and one you never hear mentioned, nice one Seanthumbsup.gif
Social source share

As a 13-14 year old i can remember getting Song for Aretha by Pretty Purdie on Flying Dutchman in a soul pack, his scream on the intro of that record is phenomenal (is that how you spell it), gotta be a contender.

Rob h.

Good call. "Song For Aretha" is a tremendous record and seems under-appreciated by soul fans. I played it in the lounge at Yarmouth one year and lots of people came up to look at the record spinning on the decks. I only have it on 45 and wonder if the album lists the vocalists who appear on it as their contribution is very intense indeed.

Social source share

:P

Sean

Say no more Sir - I concur completely

Social source share

Guest sean daniels

which is the best ?

F##kin great thread...........

Social source share

Martha on I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing because it mixes/morphs into a sax instrumental and you can't spot the join.

Funny that Ady, as i was watching later with jools holland some months back....and Marthas' singing Morphed into two Cats Fighting in the street outside...Just for a split second i thought Martha Reeves was serenading me outside the windowwicked.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Damon Fox' "Black Widow Spider" (Crimson) raises the art of the soul scream to a higher plateau - the guy's got virtually no voice left by the end of the track...

...also happens to be one of the greatest soul records of all time, BYW...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!