Mr Floods Party - Compared To What ?

After a bit of help from some knowledgable types please. Mr Floods Party released in the US on the GM label and in the UK on Ember. Then reissued/rereleased in the UK on Bulldog and Inferno, assume Bulldog came first as the Inferno label states 'Licensed from Bulldog records.'

I don't have the GM release but do have the 3 UK ones. I had a vague recollection that there was one release that was a different mix to the others so just played the 3 UK issues. Now to my damaged ears the Bulldog is obviously a different mix to the Ember, it's got a heavier chunkier sound to it. Now I actually prefer the Bulldog mix. So guess what I really want to know is:

Am I correct that the Bulldog is a different mix or have I finally gone deaf?

Is the Bulldog a legitimate reissue label? If it is and it is a diff mix could you play it out without being arrested?

Is the GM release the same as the Ember or Bulldog?

Thank you in advance....

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Wish I could tell you. My GM copy was badly off center and uncorrectable. So I got a Bulldog copy, which I think I still have. The mastering is so bad (quiet) on the Bulldog copy that it's pointless to try and play. After that I just gave up completely on this record.

Social source share

Wish I could tell you. My GM copy was badly off center and uncorrectable. So I got a Bulldog copy, which I think I still have. The mastering is so bad (quiet) on the Bulldog copy that it's pointless to try and play. After that I just gave up completely on this record.

Strange that the Bulldog copy you had was very quiet, the one I have is very loud! Going to post up sound file in a bit..

Social source share

Strange that the Bulldog copy you had was very quiet, the one I have is very loud! Going to post up sound file in a bit..

Yeh my Bulldog promo is nice and and clear,is that clear !! :)

Social source share

The three UK issues recorded on exactly the same settings, about 40secs of each for comparison purposes.

Mr Floods Party - Compared - Ember Bulldog Inferno
Posted info:
; Soundfile to show differences in the mix on the 3 UK labels. Approx 40 secs from each label plays in this order: Ember, Bulldog, Inferno.

Social source share

Yeh my Bulldog promo is nice and and clear,is that clear !! :)

There you go

Mr Floods Party - compared to what - Bulldog UK promo -

mr floods party - Compared To What -

Ember totaly different,lots of shouts at the start and stuff,isn't the GM more jazzy and to me not as good.

I played mine at Rugby first time on there,so OVO for me :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ember totaly different,lots of shouts at the start and stuff,isn't the GM more jazzy and to me not as good.

Don't know on the GM one Ken, never had a copy so not got a soundfile of it. For my tastes the Bulldog one is much better, far more power and I expect it sounds stonking on a big system.

Social source share

Don't know on the GM one Ken, never had a copy so not got a soundfile of it. For my tastes the Bulldog one is much better, far more power and I expect it sounds stonking on a big system.

Someone posted it up once thats how i know,probberly not filled in the boxes propper,yeh it sounds pretty good on a big system big hall,it wasn't farting that night so it packed the floor. smile.png
Social source share

Someone posted it up once thats how i know,probberly not filled in the boxes propper,yeh it sounds pretty good on a big system big hall,it wasn't farting that night so it packed the floor. :thumbup:

Ken, you are a gent :)

Played the Ember one out last week and that sounded good (forgotten how good this was til Mr Abbott played it) but just reckon the Bulldog will sound even better :thumbsup:

Social source share

I thought the GM release was the original? I never heard the one with the shouting played until recently, and don't like that at all. Is that the U.S. Ember release?

Anyway, heard it too much in the 70's to want to play it now personally. sleep3.gifwicked.gif

p.s. I seem to recall the GM 45 being very quiet.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

I thought the GM release was the original? I never heard the one with the shouting played until recently, and don't like that at all. Is that the U.S. Ember release?

Anyway, heard it too much in the 70's to want to play it now personally. sleep3.gifwicked.gif

Surely it depends on the venue and its music policy,and me if it fills the dance floor surely i got it right thumbup.gif notice i did not play it at Burnley !! thumbsup.gif did i ? smile.png

think i played this instead
Della Reese - compared to what - Avco 
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

IMO Mr floods Party can't compare to to the outing on Atlantic A-17698 Les McCann & Eddie Harris 45 (not the same as on the McCann Harris LP!)even with the "GOOD DAM NATION" pleep over. this is the one to play out.

Steve J

Social source share

IMO Mr floods Party can't compare to to the outing on Atlantic A-17698 Les McCann & Eddie Harris 45 (not the same as on the McCann Harris LP!)even with the "GOOD DAM NATION" pleep over. this is the one to play out.

Steve J

Too long,too jazzy for me :)

Social source share

Steve J

Always had a soft spot for the ROBERTA FLACK version, classy stuff.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Too long,too jazzy for me :)

Ken if you think 3.13 is long for a Jazzy track you whant to try going into the modern room more :thumbsup:

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

There you go

mr floods party - Compared To What -

I played mine at Rugby first time on there,so OVO for me :)

Ember_EMBS_312a.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Steve J

Is that the live version where the guy announces Les McCann and Eddie Harris at the start? Absolutely superb version and i agree the best one.

Social source share

This is something that always sort of interests me..... I know this was hammered at the time but as I wasn't around in the 70s and it's not one that I hear on a regular basis now then for me it's actually quite fresh sounding. To others a played out oldie because they were there when it was originally played. No real point in what I've just said, it just always interests me when talking records to people what they do/don't know record wise and what they consider to be an oldie compared to what the next person you speak to considers an oldie and does/doesn't know. I suppose it's all down to when you started/where you went.

Steve J

Don't think I know this one, anybody got a soundfile to post up?

Social source share

Ken, you are a gent thumbsup.gif

Played the Ember one out last week and that sounded good (forgotten how good this was til Mr Abbott played it) but just reckon the Bulldog will sound even better thumbup.gif

to be honest i have been really surprised at the excellent dance floor reaction to it when i played it lately! biggrin.gif

still back out of the box it comes...

and listening to the clips on pc the GM version pis*es over the others (that is on pc mind)

Social source share

This is something that always sort of interests me..... I know this was hammered at the time but as I wasn't around in the 70s and it's not one that I hear on a regular basis now then for me it's actually quite fresh sounding. To others a played out oldie because they were there when it was originally played. No real point in what I've just said, it just always interests me when talking records to people what they do/don't know record wise and what they consider to be an oldie compared to what the next person you speak to considers an oldie and does/doesn't know. I suppose it's all down to when you started/where you went.

Don't think I know this one, anybody got a soundfile to post up?

Got it on a double lp,could be anywhere so not me :P

Social source share

to be honest i have been really surprised at the excellent dance floor reaction to it when i played it lately! biggrin.gif

and listening to the clips on pc the GM version pis*es over the others (that is on pc mind)

Come on the Disco post it up so I can have a listen and compare :P. Hope you're well mate?

Social source share

I primed it up for you Dave :P

Social source share

Always reminds me of the ´´KFC Chicken Got Soul Ads``…..Well, I just wanted to have a ``cup of tea`` with a mate but once I arrived at the pub he said…

``Trickster just called, they are looking for some Northern Soul Dancers for the new KFC ads, come on let's go``..We arrived at the audition and peeked through the big windows….Lot's of beautiful people, all stretching and all of them looked like straight out of ''Fame''(leggins and the lot) !!!! We thought sodd this, it's the wrong place let's have a drink. On the way to the pub Trickster came along an and dragged us back to the audition. We went in and my phone was ringing….French Fred looked at me''You frigging bastard, it's that your German agent again??? Jesus, how many jobs do get man??? Germany must love you!!! I was talking to my dad in German and dropped a few English words like... contract, excellent & ja ja …sehr gut klasse….People looked at me………….''What the fuck has he got, that I haven't?????''

Anyway off we went, doing what we do mostly every weekend and eventually got picked by the director. A couple of weeks later we found ourselves dancing for hours….spinning, backdroping to.................``Compared to What``

The camera operator was getting all the action with his hand-held camera ''Great, great,excellent…but came to close to one of us 4 ``Northern Soul Dancers`` and suddenly there was blood all over the dance floor …..the lad was saying ..``It's allright no problem I just need an ice cube!!!!``

Well, they stopped filming and the guy needed quite a few stitches. Mind you, only after a few beers in the pub!!!!

In the end they didn't use much of our ``Northern`` dancing and ''Compared to what'' was dropped for ''Do I love You Indeed I do''

But it was a great laugh, good pay and I still love the track!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone.

Having looked at an old post I notice that this record came out on USA GM label first and then was released in the UK on Ember/Bulldog/Inferno. I would appreciate any information as to when it was released on Greek Melody label as the record label states an Ember recording, would have thought it would have been licensed from USA GM.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

Edited by Mick Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mick,

Do you know which take it is? The original on GM was released in US and it's that take that was released originally in UK on Ember. It was then later released on Bulldog with a different (better?) take. That Greek Melody copy is a nice looker eh?

Regards,

Dave

Cant be certain Dave but i think its the ember recording very basey sound.yep its a nice looker suprised it was missed on evil bay.Mick :thumbsup:

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Hi everyone.

Having looked at an old post I notice that this record came out on USA GM label first and then was released in the UK on Ember/Bulldog/Inferno. I would appreciate any information as to when it was released on Greek Melody label as the record label states an Ember recording, would have thought it would have been licensed from USA GM.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

Thats a looker,nice...........................swap you for my bulldog uk demo allso mintish.whistling.gif

Social source share

Thats a looker,nice...........................swap you for my bulldog uk demo allso mintish.whistling.gif

No thanks Ken,:yes: but thanks for the offer. Wouldn't mind seeing the scans of all the labels it came out on, maybe someone can post. Regards Mick

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Mick,

Do you know which take it is? The original on GM was released in US and it's that take that was released originally in UK on Ember. It was then later released on Bulldog with a different (better?) take. That Greek Melody copy is a nice looker eh?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I can remember in the late 70`s trying to order the Bulldog release from the local record shop in Banbury [ Osbournes] in those days they had the big catalog books & it was always listed as available but i never got a copy as it came back as a deleted title.

I did`t know that the US & British releases were different takes, are they vastly different?.

Garv

Social source share

No thanks Ken,yes.gif but thanks for the offer. Wouldn't mind seeing the scans of all the labels it came out on, maybe someone can post. Regards Mick
Social source share

Hi everyone.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

gallery_1986_2578_14418.jpg

EMBER_EMBS-312a-1.gif

Social source share

I never thought it was a US recording.

When it was first released here it was slated in Blues& Soul (just one *). Some months later it took off at the Torch but Ember seemed to have a distribution problem and no one was able to get it. I had ordered it from my local record shop but no joy. I ended up writing to Ember and they were kind enough to send me a copy. The distribution problem was never sorted and that black label design was shortlived. Actually maybe they ran out of the right colour of ink.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!