Ovo Definition

Hi Guys I have offered another site the definition of OVO (Original Vynil Only)

I was going to give my definition and then ask for constructive comments or elightened offers of change to the description.

Now Ive changed my mind and I am asking for others definition and I will then collate and mold the best of comments and resubmit for approval.

So Go Ahead and please no sarky comments as this is a genuine request to formulate a defintion for another site who have had a lot of requests as to what OVO means.

Thanks in Anticipation

Mike I am absolutely not sure whether this should be here or look at your box.

Would appreciate a move if the moderators think it is appropriate.

ATB Steve

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Guys I have offered another site the definition of OVO (Original Vynil Only)

I was going to give my definition and then ask for constructive comments or elightened offers of change to the description.

Now Ive changed my mind and I am asking for others definition and I will then collate and mold the best of comments and resubmit for approval.

So Go Ahead and please no sarky comments as this is a genuine request to formulate a defintion for another site who have had a lot of requests as to what OVO means.

Thanks in Anticipation

Mike I am absolutely not sure whether this should be here or look at your box.

Would appreciate a move if the moderators think it is appropriate.

ATB Steve

Always assumed it meant Original Vinyl Only?

Just noticed your bracketed definition Steve so my feeble attempt at sarcasm has somewhat backfired :P

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

does my head in :P

some say it is the first issue of a record but when it is argued and proved that it came out on another label before the one that is commonly played by OVO dj's the goal posts change to, 'it doesn't matter if it is second issue, its still orig'

OVO is what some dj's make up their minds it to mean - only to contradict themselves when it suits them

does my head in :D

Social source share

does my head in :unsure:

some say it is the first issue of a record but when it is argued and proved that it came out on another label before the one that is commonly played by OVO dj's the goal posts change to, 'it doesn't matter if it is second issue, its still orig'

OVO is what some dj's make up their minds it to mean - only to contradict themselves when it suits them

does my head in angry.gif

I didn't realise the scene had travelled so far up its own arse.

Social source share

How I see it ...

and I repeat how I see it..

a legit issue..

for example, an LP only track that, came out in 66 say.. but then got a spanish release in 72.. the spanish one is still an original issue a legit issue..

or even a UK legit issue that come out after the US one... grapevine for example...

but not 2nd issues.. so a us record from say 68, that was released again in 74 .. thats not an original...

so first copies from whatever country, made what ever year as long as they are legit...

thats how I see it.. but some one will tell me i'm wrong..

Social source share

does my head in :thumbup:

does my head in :thumbup:

Choosing not to acknowledge it doesn't alter the fact that there is an original format though does it?

Granted, it may do your head in, but it's not rocket science is it?

On second thoughts, rocket science is easy in comparison :lol:

Social source share

OVO: Any LP or 7" a track legally came out on within a timeframe of say 3-4 years after the track's very first release? Does this make sense?

As Mischief just mentioned UK Grapevine. My posting does not refer to any tracks reissued whenever wherever to satisfy any demand from Soul/Northern Soul collectors or scenes, especially in the UK. These are not OVO. They might be first issues in certain countries but do not fall under the OVO category.

Social source share

As Mischief just mentioned UK Grapevine. My posting does not refer to any tracks reissued whenever wherever to satisfy any demand from Soul/Northern Soul collectors or scenes, especially in the UK. These are not OVO. They might be first issues in certain countries but do not fall under the OVO category.

Benji,

only two of us have answered.. and see it differnt.. think this thread could get intresting...rolleyes.gif

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Benji,

only two of us have answered.. and see it differnt.. think this thread could get intresting...:rolleyes:

thumbsup.gif

Well, we see different. But two rather different subjects more like. I tried to explain what I'd define as OVO, i.e. what sort of records should be played at venues. I see your post in the way, that you explain your view on "first legit issues vs. reissues".

Anyway, maybe we can get the topic a bit more interesting for everybody else by throwing in some unrelated, unprovoked insults? I'll start with "you disagree with me? :wanker: "

:wink:

Social source share

Just walking the dog and thinking, I used grapevine as an example.. I think I only own 2 grapevine records somewhere.. and only 1 KENT record ( and 4 anniversary ones) ..

why because I think theres a differnce between what I see as OVO and respect.. i have already said what i see as OVO... but thisis where respect comes in...

it's unfair to play some later issues, if other dj's around you have the US rare issue... that has taken years to get... and by buying an easy avalible later issue, you have taken a shortcut so to speak..

bet that comes out i'm up me arse :ohmy: ... but hard to explain really

any way :wanker: back at ya Benji:wink:

Social source share

Original vinyl can mean only one thing. The first legal issue, thus whether it be an LP track, or a 45, that's the original vinyl, irregardless of it's country of origin.

If a track was issued on the UK Grapevine label for the first time, ie it was previously unreleased, that can legitimately lay claim to being the original vinyl. By the same token, if the track is a UK issue of a track that was previously issued in the States, it's a UK reissue (I know that some people would claim that it is the original UK issue, but it's still not the original issue if it's already been issued somewhere else)

It doesn't matter what label you are talking about though, the clue is in the word 'original'. there cannot be two original vinyl issues because by simple deduction, if one follows the other, only one is original.

The only distinction I would make from this is between LP tracks and 45s. Given this as a scenario:

Group XXX release a single in January. It becomes a huge hit in February. Record company YYY decide to release an album as quickly as possible in March, to cash in on group XXX's current popularity. Group XXX release a follow up single in May, the flip side of the single is a track they recorded for the album, and it is now, forty years later, the indemand track by group XXX.

So, because the single was released after the album, technically, this makes the album the original vinyl ! So, I would say that if a track is LP only, that has to be the original vinyl, but if a track is on an LP, and released as a 45 (at, or around the same time as the LP), the 45 is the original vinyl as far as we, in our enclosed little world of NS, are concerned.

Go on then, argue about that laugh.giflaugh.gifwicked.gif

Dave 'Bored at lunchtime' Rimmer

Social source share

I'm firmly in the OVO camp however there are two discrepancies that I can never get my head around

Why people frown upon an original which has been released on a different label but maybe a couple of years later...this surely does not count as a reissue or second pressing as it is a completely different label?!

Also the frowning on LPs...these are original vinyl...you don't boot an LP do you!? Personally I see nothing wrong with playing off the odd LP

cheers thumbsup.gif

Social source share

IMO if it exists on Vinyl then a Grapevine/Kent issue/bootleg/cd/MP3/DJ whistling the instrumental through the mic, can't be original vinyl...it has been released for the Northern market. Certainly nothing wrong with that I've many records of that ilk in my collection. I just wouldn't dream of playing them out :no:

How much more simple can it be ?

If you don't agree with ovo than go ahead & play any kind of issue, putting my neck on the line legal issues aren't for lazy DJs they're to give some cash to the talented individuals who have recorded/produced /written the songs.

Dave

Solid Hit Soul OVO

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Original vinyl can mean only one thing. The first legal issue, thus whether it be an LP track, or a 45, that's the original vinyl, irregardless of it's country of origin.

If a track was issued on the UK Grapevine label for the first time, ie it was previously unreleased, that can legitimately lay claim to being the original vinyl. By the same token, if the track is a UK issue of a track that was previously issued in the States, it's a UK reissue (I know that some people would claim that it is the original UK issue, but it's still not the original issue if it's already been issued somewhere else)

It doesn't matter what label you are talking about though, the clue is in the word 'original'. there cannot be two original vinyl issues because by simple deduction, if one follows the other, only one is original.

The only distinction I would make from this is between LP tracks and 45s. Given this as a scenario:

Group XXX release a single in January. It becomes a huge hit in February. Record company YYY decide to release an album as quickly as possible in March, to cash in on group XXX's current popularity. Group XXX release a follow up single in May, the flip side of the single is a track they recorded for the album, and it is now, forty years later, the indemand track by group XXX.

So, because the single was released after the album, technically, this makes the album the original vinyl ! So, I would say that if a track is LP only, that has to be the original vinyl, but if a track is on an LP, and released as a 45 (at, or around the same time as the LP), the 45 is the original vinyl as far as we, in our enclosed little world of NS, are concerned.

Go on then, argue about that :laugh::laugh::wicked:

I agree with this Dave. The only thing i wonder about is where there is a local and a national release, for example The Commands - Hey It's Love on Dynamic and Backbeat. Lots of people play both as originals and i think i'd say that any legitimate release picked up by a national label after a local label is also original in the sense we use it. You're right about the definition of original though, maybe it's the strict defintion of the word that's the problem though, not our use of it.

Matt 'Preparing for the last lesson of the day' Male

Social source share

It doesn't matter what label you are talking about though, the clue is in the word 'original'. there cannot be two original vinyl issues because by simple deduction, if one follows the other, only one is original .

OK then Dave, I will :rolleyes: .... purely based on that sentence, and particularly the red bit....

Two records that immediately spring to mind....

Frank Beverley - Because Of My Heart - Rouser & Fairmount

Frank Beverley - If That's What You Wanted - Sassy & Gamble

So based on that sentence.... which ones out of each can be played as "original" legitimately.... and which ones, should people sell (me) cheap as they are clearly now "reissues" whistling ....

Or is this one of those "move the goalposts to suit" rules :wicked: ....

Mark "being a pedantic t#$t" Etheridge

p.s. you did ask :laugh:

p.p.s. just read Matt's mentioned summat similar whilst waiting for this reply to load, LOL....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

That seems to make sense to me. I think (don't mind if i's just me) we confuse the issue by using OVO as shorthand for "credible for a northern soul dj/record monkey with a conscience to play at an event that has any respect for the scene and its history". If I play anywhere (very small time record monkey me) I don't knowingly play bootlegs/fakes. It matters very much to me that the record on the decks, whether mine or not, have some level of authenticity, the greater the authenticity (usually but not always the rarer) the more respect I have. Now, I know that's been discussed to hell and back on here but I think it's on thread. As an example, I have a Stemmons Express on Wand, I'll happily have that in my box somtimes to play, if another person has it on Karma I'd prefer for them to have the option to play it on that label. There's a hierarchy of desirability in my head about authenticity and rarity. Many auhtentic second label issues I would class as OVO by shorthand but it becomes fairly personal and arbitrary. In short, for me, OVO can be taken as embracing the spirit of rare records and their importance to the scene and those who enjoy it.

Social source share

OK then Dave, I will :rolleyes: .... purely based on that sentence, and particularly the red bit....

So based on that sentence.... which ones out of each can be played as "original" legitimately.... and which ones, should people sell (me) cheap as they are clearly now "reissues" whistling ....

p.p.s. just read Matt's mentioned summat similar whilst waiting for this reply to load, LOL....

There's always one isn't there :laugh::laugh:

The question of local / national releases didn't slip by me, I just couldn't think of a reasoned way of explaining it, so I did what any good debator does, and ignored it completely:laugh:

I suppose you would have to say that even with these there is still only one original release, being pedantic. It's up to you, or any other DJ for that matter as to how legitimate the playing of the second issue is !

Social source share

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/112166-ss-most-used-phrases/page__gopid__1158771&

Mr Andrews (Steve E) and Mr Rimmer I have no doubt you do get it so can only assume you fancy starting a Friday afternoon ruck! Your album point Mr Rimmer is laughable and illaudable***, but I am not getting into a direct debate with you as last one copsme a pint at 100 club prices, aka price of a small house in Walsall, even though I am right nowadays.

If its not a bootleg then its up for playing, if its played too much on whatever format its not up for playing, its time DJ;s stopeed hiding behind format and debated playing of fresh sounds, much more relevant and much more difficult to do.

And yes I am having a sh*t Friday and its another 3 hours to my next intravenous Gin dose.

*** I know it doesn't exist but its what this thread deserves, a fantasy word that you all get thi gist off. !

Edited by jocko
Social source share

We went through all this ages back in a look at your box thread, but Dave you are just about right, (i mentioned this also once before) but (and please correct me if im wrong)

a classic example of how crazy all this original vinyl thingy is.............Garland Green "Come Through Me" now i have the Kent LP the "Spring Sides" this track ( I believe) is it's first ever vinyl release, later Kent released it on a anniversary 45' (later ?, not certain, still think lp was first) also they released it on a Kent 45', and a compilation cd( though in this case only vinyl counts) and i'm certain a recent USA 45' has been issued (had someone on other thread getting uppity about saying they had no problem playing it off a usa 45' etc.....i could care less, still isn't an original). The point being that this record has gone full circle, criminally overlooked by th USA market some 40 years ago, it took the UK soul world to recognise it's sheer brilliance..............phewww

..........no wonder i hardly bother posting anymore.

Brett

Social source share

Excellent point Mark, the thing is one came before the other simple as that, but i believe we can allow the local/national releases to be both played, think it is quite easy to differentiate between original (s) and later re-issues/ bootlegs etc...............Now stop been a clever twat or i'll come to yours and carve a Z in your forehead with my hunting knife.....

Brett

Social source share

We went through all this ages back in a look at your box thread, but Dave you are just about right, (i mentioned this also once before) but (and please correct me if im wrong)

a classic example of how crazy all this original vinyl thingy is.............Garland Green "Come Through Me" now i have the Kent LP the "Spring Sides" this track ( I believe) is it's first ever vinyl release, later Kent released it on a anniversary 45' (later ?, not certain, still think lp was first) also they released it on a Kent 45', and a compilation cd( though in this case only vinyl counts) and i'm certain a recent USA 45' has been issued (had someone on other thread getting uppity about saying they had no problem playing it off a usa 45' etc.....i could care less, still isn't an original). The point being that this record has gone full circle, criminally overlooked by th USA market some 40 years ago, it took the UK soul world to recognise it's sheer brilliance..............phewww

..........no wonder i hardly bother posting anymore.

Brett

The Sping Sides was the first time it came out. Hears another thing that hasn't really sat well with me, is Chuck Jackson's - Whats with this lonelness and Carla Thomas - I'll never stop loving you. The originals of these are both CD's and the 100 club singles were issued (a while later) on the back of their popularity. So these IMO are re-issues even though its their first exposure on vinyl

Social source share

The Sping Sides was the first time it came out. Hears another thing that hasn't really sat well with me, is Chuck Jackson's - Whats with this lonelness and Carla Thomas - I'll never stop loving you. The originals of these are both CD's and the 100 club singles were issued (a while later) on the back of their popularity. So these IMO are re-issues even though its their first exposure on vinyl

Hi John (trust your well mate), your bang right about the Chuck Jackson etc, they were first released on Cd, but this is about Original Vinyl................thumbsup.gif

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

https://www.soul-sour...gopid__1158771&

Mr Andrews (Steve E) and Mr Rimmer I have no doubt you do get it so can only assume you fancy starting a Friday afternoon ruck!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif You sussed me ! Mind you I gave the clue in the signature to my original post....Dave 'Bored at lunchtime' Rimmer. I thought the album bit was especially good !

I stand by what I said in the first sentence though, original vinyl has only one meaning, and that is the first legal issue on vinyl irregardless of label or country of origin.

But...........

There again, what about Frank Wilson ? Never legally issued in the States, so does that mean that the UK copy is the original vinyl ? And if the UK release is the original vinyl, what status does that mean the copies on Soul have ? g.gif

Social source share

Carla T popularity ?,i didnt know it till Ady C played me a prevue at his flat blew me away told Ady the rest is history :thumbup:

Social source share

It will take me some time to find it, but I kept the original oVo "mandate"(or definition, if you prefer) as written on my kitchen table what ever year it was?

What some know is that it was actually drawn up after some *#

I may still have the first flyer that the oVo logo was used on ( and that's what it was all about, to have a logo that those of us who cared about it could recognise, and that those who didn't care, it wouldn't have mattered to - we never set out to tell anybody else how to live their lives, or run their venues, we just wanted to say this is how we do it) It wasn't a stick to beat anybody with, it was more meant to be a secret club that those of us who were in the know knew about it ,like freemasons use their secret handshake.

not OVO, or OvO, it was originally oVo, damn, now the secret's out !

* I use the term dj loosely in this instance

Social source share

Go on then, argue about that laugh.giflaugh.gifwicked.gif

My understanding / belief of the phrase / term was and is , as you state Dave .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Excellent point Mark, the thing is one came before the other simple as that, but i believe we can allow the local/national releases to be both played, think it is quite easy to differentiate between original (s) and later re-issues/ bootlegs etc...............Now stop been a clever twat or i'll come to yours and carve a Z in your forehead with my hunting knife.....

Brett

I know Brett, I know.... was just being pedantic mischievous with Dave biggrin.gif .....

Nah.... I'd tek it of you and scribe SWFC across yer chest laugh.gif ....

Seriously tho.... most people can differentiate between originals and reissues/boots.... so not sure if original question (pun intended) is actually about looking for validity on playing certain tunes out based on the rantings on another thread....

p.s. out tonight?.... text me....

Social source share

Genuine question here...

going on what people have said above ... does this mean

that the white Demo Tamla Motown TMG 508 - Brenda Holloway "When i'm gone"

I picked up the other week for £15 wasn't a bargin after all as it is a boot/reissue..wink.gif

or is there dj oVo and collectors oVorolleyes.gif

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Interesting this, just think all you guys who play non-US 45's as it didn't come out on a 45 in the States but did appear on LP.

Just for starters, Timi Yuro - Never be over for me

Starts the ball rolling where's it gonna stop, does this mean if you play the 45 then the soul-source police are on your case.

Also what about records that are released but the artists didn't know they were released were do you stand with this, even if it's a major label is this any different than a bootleg, the artists didn't get anything from what ever sales were generated. Tobi Legend on Mala is a classic example of this.

Social source share

OK then Dave, I will rolleyes.gif .... purely based on that sentence, and particularly the red bit....

So based on that sentence.... which ones out of each can be played as "original" legitimately.... and which ones, should people sell (me) cheap as they are clearly now "reissues" whistling.gif ....

Or is this one of those "move the goalposts to suit" rules wicked.gif ....

p.s. you did ask laugh.gif

Being as they would have been issued within three years of each other, both would be classed as original.

As a result of the OVO definition, perhaps these words could be added to the Oxford dictionary?

Ovophobia - The insistance of playing bootlegs and 2nd issues.

Ovophobe - one who practices the above.

Ovophile - one who collects OVO and nothing else.

Ovophilia - the art of being an ovophile.

Ovomania - mental obsession with collecting original vinyl.

Ovotherainbow - way up high.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Being as they would have been issued within three years of each other, both would be classed as original.

so what different with a UK 45 issued a few months after the US 45.

As a result of the OVO definition, perhaps these words could be added to the Oxford dictionary?

Ovophobia - The insistance of playing bootlegs and 2nd issues.

Ovophobe - one who practices the above.

Ovophile - one who collects OVO and nothing else.

Ovophilia - the art of being an ovophile.

Ovomania - mental obsession with collecting original vinyl.

Ovotherainbow - way up high.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Its murky water, for sure!

As I've said before, on here, I think 'legitimate' vinyl (or legal format) is a much better approach... for two main reasons.

1) because we should never condone the promotion of illegitimate bootlegs

2) because the oVo approach, where, (to use Mark's earlier example) the owner of a Rouser copy of Frank Beverley would get prior 'play' over someone with only a humble Fairmount copy, is really all about oneupmanship and nothing to do with Music, legitimacy or legality.

If I want to play my UK Capitol Alexander Patton, do I first need to check to see if anyone else wants to play their US copy (assuming they've got a 'proper' US copy :thumbup:) because my copy is not the US 'original'?.

I would say, of course not - its nonsense.

After all, the scene was built on UK issues of US recordings.

Jock makes a better point regarding 'fresh sounds'.

We should all leave our Alexander Patton's and Frank Beverley's at home!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

its all nonsense. i chatted to a DJ last weekend as he was cueing the next tune. it was blatantly a bootleg. i never said a word, he didnt give a monkies and neither did the dancers.

Missed this post first time round but Yep.... I agree with this comment....

....but only when you attend or promote your average social soul gathering to hear and dance to the same old same old that are played from the one DJ (sorry I mean) record box.... you know the type of place, the many many venues where this same record box also goes.... and the DJ's (sorry I mean) record players roster at each one is the same bunch of mates DJ'in (sorry I mean) playing records at each others venue.... but under the clever guise of "guest DJ (sorry I mean) record player"....

Ring any bells to anyone laugh.gif ....

Social source share

Missed this post first time round but Yep.... I agree with this comment....

....but only when you attend or promote your average social soul gathering to hear and dance to the same old same old that are played from the one DJ (sorry I mean) record box.... you know the type of place, the many many venues where this same record box also goes.... and the DJ's (sorry I mean) record players roster at each one is the same bunch of mates DJ'in (sorry I mean) playing records at each others venue.... but under the clever guise of "guest DJ (sorry I mean) record player"....

Ring any bells to anyone laugh.gif ....

CamLikpanologyCampanology

Like a Campanology Conventionyes.gif

Social source share

The ONLY Original Vinyl are the promo copies distributed to Radio Stations/DJs to coincide with the records release. So all you 'DJ's' with those nasty yellow/black/red/blue et al stockers......stop waffling on like a bunch of precious 'dahlinks' and start collecting the real thing! :D:D:thumbup:

What about coloured promo's Dave are they ok ? :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!