Porgy Williams - Lonely Man's Hum

Anoraks Corner

Found a copy of the silver labelled voc/inst copy on Sylves (from 1975) today whilst our digging.

Never had this one and it's been a long time since I had a copy of the 2nd release (b/w 'Lets for a committee').

Are the two releases the same take as the silver one sounds flipping awesome and sooooo 2009 cross-over-Soul-tastic, and I had noted that the blue labelled one has jumped up in value too.

:thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

The Silver label is the later issue and a different cut to

the earlier blue release,also the silver issue is rarer/harder than the blue issue,

well it was back in the late 80s early 90s thumbsup.gif

Dave f..............

I thought the Silver label copy came out first Dave?The Blue copy is a differant mix with a flip(which is pretty good).Only just picked a copy up and luckily seller had both copies(he`s a soul source member).Was told Silver mix is more 60`s and Blue is more modern with strings + things so i took the Blue.There`s no year on the Blue copy.

Social source share

I thought the Silver label copy came out first Dave?The Blue copy is a differant mix with a flip(which is pretty good).Only just picked a copy up and luckily seller had both copies(he`s a soul source member).Was told Silver mix is more 60`s and Blue is more modern with strings + things so i took the Blue.There`s no year on the Blue copy.

Wrong way round Wayne :hatsoff2:

Silver is the 70's take with the strings an things thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've got the blue, i have heard the silver, but the cat number is later on the blue, than the silver ? To be honest i can't remember the silver take, but i really like the blue version...........sshhh..it's crossover...ph34r.gif

Social source share

Wrong way round Wayne :hatsoff2:

Silver is the 70's take with the strings an things :hatsoff2:

Yea i just heard both versions on refosoul,blue is rawer/more earlier and Silver is the better mix ...Bugger...I thought you would have gone for Blue copy/more your style...Mind you the Blue copy has a flip where`s Silver is inst of same track whistling.gif

Social source share

Yea i just heard both versions on refosoul,blue is rawer/more earlier and Silver is the better mix ...Bugger...I thought you would have gone for Blue copy/more your style...Mind you the Blue copy has a flip where`s Silver is inst of same track whistling.gif

And if mem serves me right the flip of blue is preferential to some people ??

Flip is not my bag ..had two blue copies and sold em both when i bought Dave Flynn's silver copy above :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Last 3 on here went from £35-50 not sure what press/versions so think £100 is a tad ambitious Brett ohmy.gif

At one point the blue ones were very indemand and were going for over the £100 mark but i think they've settled down now...that guy you bought the blue one off had silver for a bargain :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Sorry guys, i feel the silver take is far too messy, it's lost all the rawness of the blue version, it reminds me of that strings and things alternate release of Dee Edwards on De-to, that 45' also got incredibly mixed up.............Just my opinion by the way.................But i am right..........wink.gif

Social source share

Sorry guys, i feel the silver take is far too messy, it's lost all the rawness of the blue version, it reminds me of that strings and things alternate release of Dee Edwards on De-to, that 45' also got incredibly mixed up.............Just my opinion by the way.................But i am right..........wink.gif

Know what you mean Brett......a bit like Eddie Billups on Garpax :ohmy:

To be honest mate,there's not a lot of difference but i think they added a backbeat to the silver one ,which gives it that 70's feel which makes it more apealing to dance to rather than just listen to :thumbsup:

If i don't seeya before ....i will deffo catch up at Morecambe weekender mate...until then take care and be good :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!