Keb Darge - Scotlands Finest Export Since Whiskey

The Tempest

Down at Kebs a few years back and he played a few sounds at his house and i remember him telling me to pick up two particular records which should be big sounds both basically not played to my knowledge at the time and relatively not known by the masses...ONLY NOW ARE THESE STARTING TO POKE THERE HEADS ONTO THE SCENE AND RISING IN PRICE BIG TIME, YEARS AHEAD OF HIS TIME....Massive inspiration for me when i was getting into the rare soul/funk thang...funny how some of the biggest Dj's Keb/Butch etc. dont really post much on here...

The more you know the less you show perhaps?...

OR IS IT THEY CANT BE BOTHERED WITH PEOPLE ON THE FORUM??

Who knows... no.gif

Like you laugh.gif and you aint no big thing.

Social source share

Down at Kebs a few years back and he played a few sounds at his house and i remember him telling me to pick up two particular records which should be big sounds both basically not played to my knowledge at the time and relatively not known by the masses...ONLY NOW ARE THESE STARTING TO POKE THERE HEADS ONTO THE SCENE AND RISING IN PRICE BIG TIME, YEARS AHEAD OF HIS TIME....Massive inspiration for me when i was getting into the rare soul/funk thang...funny how some of the biggest Dj's Keb/Butch etc. dont really post much on here...

The more you know the less you show perhaps?...

OR IS IT THEY CANT BE BOTHERED WITH PEOPLE ON THE FORUM??

Who knows... no.gif

two particular records which should be big sounds both basically not played to my knowledge at the time and relatively not known by the masses...ONLY NOW ARE THESE STARTING TO POKE THERE HEADS ONTO THE SCENE

Would one of these tunes be a certain 45 you played when I was over last weekend if so f*cking awsome the best thing ive heard since I first heard mixed feelings sha la la in fact I would say its better

What was the name of it again on yeah I remember now cheers biggrin.gif

Edited by fifesoul
Social source share

two particular records which should be big sounds both basically not played to my knowledge at the time and relatively not known by the masses...ONLY NOW ARE THESE STARTING TO POKE THERE HEADS ONTO THE SCENE

Would one of these tunes be a certain 45 you played when I was over last weekend if so f*cking awsome the best thing ive heard since I first heard mixed emotions sha la la in fact I would say its better

What was the name of it again on yeah I remember now cheers :D

Well tell us then,or is it a secret you never know we might all know it :laugh: ,in the interest of oneupmanship i used to live at Kebs :beer: now go back to dancing to Whinehouse you two.

Social source share

Only problem there mate is at least half of these were Jim Wensora's plays..

Universals is up there though..thumbsup.gif

Found and discovered by my mate Lenny RIP :D sold to Pete L and then Keb and then back then back again,or something like that.

Edited by ken
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Not read all of this thread :rolleyes: so apologies if I've missed it - but has this thread just been concerned with Kebs 60's and 60's newies stuff? Wasn't Keb originally a bit of a "modern" dj who sold up and then reinvented himself alongside Guy? Or is that rubbish.

I do not recall ever hearing Keb play modern stuff.

:g:

Social source share

Not read all of this thread :rolleyes: so apologies if I've missed it - but has this thread just been concerned with Kebs 60's and 60's newies stuff? Wasn't Keb originally a bit of a "modern" dj who sold up and then reinvented himself alongside Guy? Or is that rubbish.

I do not recall ever hearing Keb play modern stuff.

:g:

He most certainly did, in fact for a while I'm sure that he was playing nothing but "modern". Pretty sure he was playing all modern at 100club about 80/81 ...........Ady ?

Social source share

He most certainly did, in fact for a while I'm sure that he was playing nothing but "modern". Pretty sure he was playing all modern at 100club about 80/81 ...........Ady ?

Cheers Dave. I thought that was the case. It seems odd looking back that I don't recall hearing/seeing Keb play any modern stuff but know enough about him to know he did.

Might start another thread?

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Cheers Dave. I thought that was the case. It seems odd looking back that I don't recall hearing/seeing Keb play any modern stuff but know enough about him to know he did.

Might start another thread?

You're welcome Peter :thumbsup: , it all seems so long ago now :( , i couldn't name anything he played but pretty sure it was high end stuff. Oh I've been wracking whats left of my memory & just remembered one he use to play Family of Eve I wanna be loved by you, think I may even have pestered him to play it. Still sounds good sitting in front of my computer, wouldn't want to hear it out though :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He certainly did Dave, but like you i can't remember what the hell they were. i can't even remember how he stopped DJing (presumably) and started again as a newies DJ. No doubt he pestered the hell out of me and had built up a good following so I booked him, I was always sympathetic to the newies theory even though i didn't like it 100% in practice. It's probably one of the reasons I brough in 45 and 30 mins spots so the crowd didn't have to suffer a solid hour of any DJs whose tastes might not have been everyone's cuppa.

Social source share

You're welcome Peter :thumbsup: , it all seems so long ago now :( , i couldn't name anything he played but pretty sure it was high end stuff. Oh I've been wracking whats left of my memory & just remembered one he use to play Family of Eve I wanna be loved by you, think I may even have pestered him to play it. Still sounds good sitting in front of my computer, wouldn't want to hear it out though :D

He certainly did Dave, but like you i can't remember what the hell they were. i can't even remember how he stopped DJing (presumably) and started again as a newies DJ. No doubt he pestered the hell out of me and had built up a good following so I booked him, I was always sympathetic to the newies theory even though i didn't like it 100% in practice. It's probably one of the reasons I brough in 45 and 30 mins spots so the crowd didn't have to suffer a solid hour of any DJs whose tastes might not have been everyone's cuppa.

There's something quite reassuring about the fact that you two can't remember either!

:D:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Remember hearing Keb playing "modern" @ Turnmills club London circa "87 (?)........a night promoted by Ion & Sean McClusky

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

I thought Keb was in his 60's mafia style pomp around 87 - maybe he'd turned again by that time and was heading into his deep funk era. :huh:

Social source share

He used to play things like Larry Houston when it was rare Ade. ( I bought his copy off him) Keb was also resident in the back Modern room at Peterborough for Jon Buck in the mid 80's.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Keb was playing modern soul as a DJ until the end of 1982. During that year I can remember him playing things like "Giving It All To You" by Cheryl Berdell, "I'll Get To That" by Tom Sanders, and even "How Can I Tell Her" by Curtis and "It Takes Heart" by Greg Perry.

I can distinctly remember his first 60s newies spot in London in February 1983. The 60s mafia was kind of 'established in 1983/84.

Incidentally, the playlist Chalky posted dates from Autumn 1987 - that would have been the time he and Rob Marriott creamed Jim Wensiora's collection when it was up for sale (hence the inclusion of J D Bryant etc).

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi

Think his "1st" modern soul stint may have lasted longer than "82

I moved to London in "83 and he was promoting modern soul nights @ Le Beat Route then

Cheers Paul

Hi Mr Woosnam!

Remember attending a do when I was living in the smoke with Keb DJ'ing at the Limelight in Cambridge Circus in 1989, think by which time he'd sold all his 6T's mafia stuff due to divorce! Think by then he was moving toward his funk era?

Jonesy (Mark)

Social source share

N'er mind all that modern stuff, what about these two cover ups?

Four Shades - Tonight - c/u

Rosetta Hughes - Ooh Wee Baby I Love You - c/u

It has been said Otis Jackson was covered as the Four Shades but dunno if this is the one?

Does no one remember the above? :(

Social source share

Hi

Hi Mr Woosnam!

Remember attending a do when I was living in the smoke with Keb DJ'ing at the Limelight in Cambridge Circus in 1989, think by which time he'd sold all his 6T's mafia stuff due to divorce! Think by then he was moving toward his funk era?

Jonesy (Mark)

Hi Mark

What kinda stuff was he playing 1989 ?

I'd pretty much stopped going to northern/modern dos by then.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Think his "1st" modern soul stint may have lasted longer than "82

I moved to London in "83 and he was promoting modern soul nights @ Le Beat Route then

Cheers Paul

If i remember right somethings telling me he swapped back and forth a couple of times. From playing Curtis, Larry Houston 81-2 (I know this cos him and Clarkie got me into Modern then from being a Mod) Then to newies and back to Modern again 85 ish cos he was doing the back room of Peterborough but i remember him being down the 100 club shouting dance you fckers to the Fabulous Pep's 86-7ish. Mind you it all blends into one after all these years.

Social source share

He was still obviously DJing with 60's newies in 85 and 86, Stafford and everywhere in-between. Stafford shut February 1986 so he could have had a brief fling with the modern after Stafford but he was soon back with 60's newies and bought quite a few of Jimmy Wensiora's collection. He retired again from 60's newies, outside of London at least December 1987. His last set outside of London for the 60's was at the Winding Wheel and his last three tracks were The Charmaines, Boss 4 and JD Bryant.

Social source share

He was still obviously DJing with 60's newies in 85 and 86, Stafford and everywhere in-between. Stafford shut February 1986 so he could have had a brief fling with the modern after Stafford but he was soon back with 60's newies and bought quite a few of Jimmy Wensiora's collection. He retired again from 60's newies, outside of London at least December 1987. His last set outside of London for the 60's was at the Winding Wheel and his last three tracks were The Charmaines, Boss 4 and JD Bryant.

Good old Keb......I remember bumping into him @ "Time Is Right" record shop in Islington in 1990. He (as I was) was checking out the latest "soulful house" 12s.

Chalky, maybe Tony Smith could help "uncover" some of those Keb cover ups ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Keb was playing modern soul as a DJ until the end of 1982. During that year I can remember him playing things like "Giving It All To You" by Cheryl Berdell, "I'll Get To That" by Tom Sanders, and even "How Can I Tell Her" by Curtis and "It Takes Heart" by Greg Perry.

I can distinctly remember his first 60s newies spot in London in February 1983. The 60s mafia was kind of 'established in 1983/84.

Incidentally, the playlist Chalky posted dates from Autumn 1987 - that would have been the time he and Rob Marriott creamed Jim Wensiora's collection when it was up for sale (hence the inclusion of J D Bryant etc).

From memory Keb played a mixture of both modern and 60s newies around 82 time including:

60s Newies

Little Ron and Esquires - I found Someone

Buck Rogers Movement - Take It From Me

Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed

Gordon Keith - Look Ahead

Modern

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Jan Jones - Independant Woman

Cheryl Berdell - Giving It All To You

Social source share

From memory Keb played a mixture of both modern and 60s newies around 82 time including:

60s Newies

He might have played them but they weren't his discoveries as ar as I'm aware. Little Ron was Gary Rushbrooke's Simms Twins cover up, Vondells was Garybas well. Gordon Keith was Dave Withers and I think late Wigan first.

Social source share

Chalky, maybe Tony Smith could help "uncover" some of those Keb cover ups ?

Cheers Paul

Sussed some of them Paul. Lesser Tipton is Sebastian Williams Home Town Boy and The Four Shades is Otis Jackson & Compromisers on C&F.

Trying to work out what the Innocent Bystanders Breaking Out is?

Social source share

60s Newies

Modern

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Jan Jones - Independant Woman

Cheryl Berdell - Giving It All To You

Here's a scan of the original 'banda' I made to promote a night Keb was DJing at Le Beat Route.

I'm pretty sure I remember him playing Jan Jones at the night, prompting me to buy it, and a few years later Eddie Hubbard played it for our wedding party. Also got Cheryl Berdell, though I can't remember if that was from hearing Keb play it or via tape swapping with the prolific Dave Hitch.

Keb gave me a copy of John Stanberry's "I can't believe (she took the whole thing)" as a thank you for the flyer. He gave me a list of the records to put around the edge, which gives a bit of an indication of his playlists at the time - trouble is, as with so many things, there was no year on the flyer as it never seems necessary at the time. I was living in Woolwich and Deptford from 1981 - 1984, so definitely within that period.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!