Robs Records Nottingham, Narrow Escape

Dean

Was idling around Nottingham today and thought I'd pop into Rob's record shop up Hurts Yard to risk having a pile of 45s bury me. What a narrow escape he's had. Libertys night club that backs onto his was burnt out last week, didn't realise how close to Robs this place was. Very close thing for a shop that should be a national treasure. Hope all's well Rob and you can re-open soon. Might give you time to have a bit of sort outwhistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

LOL ONCE HAD A MEETING WITH DVLA BASED IN NOTTINGHAM -WENT TO ROBS TO BROWSE FOR A FEW AN ENDED UP -UP TO THE NAFF WITH DUST LOL-OH AND A DOZEN OF SO LOVELY PRICED TUNES ON BRITISH-I DO AGREE THIS IS A NATIONAL TREASURE AND HE IS A SMASHING BLOKE!!! TOOK MY RECORDS IN THE LAPTOP CASE AND COULD NOT CONCENTRATE ALL THE MEETING LOL.

BAZ A

Social source share

F***** hell Dean almost give me a heart attack some where in that tip shades.gif that is Robs shop reside 2 of my records hidden never to see the light of day again for the last 15 years or moreangry.gif

That does it Ted I'm in there when the smoke clears, lookin' for 'em. I tell you the whole building above Rob's is gutted, as we would've been had it been Rob's.

See you soon mate.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Wow how lucky and would be a shame it something had happend badly. What a top bloke and i should vist the shop but make sure i have plenty of money as i wouldn't be able to come out empty handed

Social source share

Was idling around Nottingham today and thought I'd pop into Rob's record shop up Hurts Yard to risk having a pile of 45s bury me. What a narrow escape he's had. Libertys night club that backs onto his was burnt out last week, didn't realise how close to Robs this place was. Very close thing for a shop that should be a national treasure. Hope all's well Rob and you can re-open soon. Might give you time to have a bit of sort outwhistling.gif

Hi Dean,

Just had a word with Rob, It appears all is ok inside and the Stock of vinyl is safe a little water inside, He is waiting for scaffold to be placed outside to secure the building as the shop is adjacent to Libertys,Then he will open up in the mean time Rob asked me to leave his number if anyone needs to call him 07906137860 so pleased Robs record shop is ok and will continue supplyiing in this georgion shopping lane in the middle of Nottingham City Centre.

Regards Mall, Co Promoter Federation & Central Soul Clubs Nottinghambiggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Dean,

Just had a word with Rob, It appears all is ok inside and the Stock of vinyl is safe a little water inside, He is waiting for scaffold to be placed outside to secure the building as the shop is adjacent to Libertys,Then he will open up in the mean time Rob asked me to leave his number if anyone needs to call him 07906137860 so pleased Robs record shop is ok and will continue supplyiing in this georgion shopping lane in the middle of Nottingham City Centre.

Regards Mall, Co Promoter Federation & Central Soul Clubs Nottingham:D

In agreement that all is well .

I have had to smile , in the consideration that if Rob had called in the insurers , the first words they would have said was

" poor b*****d : did not know there had been an earthquake as well " .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

F***** hell Dean almost give me a heart attack some where in that tip shades.gif that is Robs shop reside 2 of my records hidden never to see the light of day again for the last 15 years or moreangry.gif

AHA !! thumbsup.gif

I'm in a position to help you out there, Ted, me old mucker.. yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

One can be found amongst the pile of records..

that the (resident) cat sleeps atop of, mellow.gifunsure.gif

Whilst -the other - is located within the pile..

that the KETTLE calls 'home' . ohmy.gifglare.gifbiggrin.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Glad I could be of assistance thumbup.gif

Fingers.. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

:lol::thumbup::lol:

In agreement that all is well .

I have had to smile , in the consideration that if Rob had called in the insurers , the first words they would have said was

" poor b*****d : did not know there had been an earthquake as well " .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Rob..

What a Top Geezer :good:

I harbour many fond memories of shared decking honours / DJ line-up's with him (along with a very youthful Hammy, and The GREATEST ever DJ.. In my book, at any rate.. Nev Wherry, plus Tony Warot, Kev Draper & Smudge, usually..) - during the late 70's & early 80's - at various (east anglian located) venues. :rolleyes:

And he's the ONLY person that I've ever spent a £1000 with.. for stuff I found in a (torn !!) PLASTIC CARRIER BAG he had amongst his (three billion, trillion, thousand..) sales boxes !! :ohmy:

It's TRUE !! - and nobody was more suprised than me !! - Cleggy weekender, last year, it was whistling

I stopped looking after that :yes::yes::yes:

Glad , given the potential outcome, that Rob has 'escaped' with only superficial 'wounds'.. :wink:

Fingers shades

Social source share

Hi Dean,

Could use some scaffold inside, that pile of Val Doonican albums defies gravityyes.gif

Social source share

Underneath that pile are 2 collectors from the days of the Torch.

Naw under that pile is the british colection from Sutton in Ashfields "New Revolution"

and part of the Syd Booth Archives,

Spoke to Rob hasnt been able to check re poss smoke Damage or water damage

but if he has will be another sale,but then Robs generosity is will always have a sale for every customer

who comes in the store,

After thirty odd years purchasing records from Hurts Yard

would have been gutted for RS

but all is well that ends up in Hurts yard including his customers

2 torch collectors where let out in 1988

with bargains and more bargains plus 100 sleeves

Social source share

Naw under that pile is the british colection from Sutton in Ashfields "New Revolution"

and part of the Syd Booth Archives,

Spoke to Rob hasnt been able to check re poss smoke Damage or water damage

but if he has will be another sale,but then Robs generosity is will always have a sale for every customer

who comes in the store,

After thirty odd years purchasing records from Hurts Yard

would have been gutted for RS

but all is well that ends up in Hurts yard including his customers

2 torch collectors where let out in 1988

with bargains and more bargains plus 100 sleeves

Sunday night at the REV!!!!

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Went to Robs one time and asked if he had any flies or wasps...he told me he hadnt got any and he only sold music.....i asked him why he had some in the window:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

yes.gif

Hi Dean,

Hi All,

When Rob finished his superb set last night at the Federation Soul Club Nottingham he asked if i would be so kind to mention,

ROBS RECORD SHOP............IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS...........Hurts yard is accesable from the top and bottom of Hurts Yard...........So if you wish go and have a flick through the vinyl and if you aint been in this well Shop of one of a kind then pop in you will be greeted by one really nice chap if you can find him..............Regards Mall

Social source share

Do you think if Rob has a little tidy up operation you might be able to fit say 4 or 5 into the shop at any one time rolleyes.gif . Top man always there for advice always visit when im visiting friends down that way will be over in 2 weeks cant wait to off load the missus then straight down to Robs for a few hours aaaahhhhhhh

Social source share

Do you think if Rob has a little tidy up operation you might be able to fit say 4 or 5 into the shop at any one time rolleyes.gif . Top man always there for advice always visit when im visiting friends down that way will be over in 2 weeks cant wait to off load the missus then straight down to Robs for a few hours aaaahhhhhhh

Hi,

Yes it is a bit tight in the shop, even more so now new stock been purchased, if you are in Nottingham Friday 23rd we have our Soul night on at Central Soul Club you are very welcome,

Regards Mall, Co-Promoter

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leesoul

GLAD THAT ROBS SHOP IS OK IVE VISTED ROBS SINCE EARLY 80S TOP GUY N DJ GOT HE HIM TO GUEST ON MY RADIO SHOW FEW YEARS BACK A FEW TIMES MUST UPLOAD IT ALL BEST TO A MUCH LOVED MAN IN NORTHERN SOUL HISTORY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!