ImberBoy

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest wigantojapan

just back from an all nighter in japan with butch playing and i would say there is soul alive and kicking in japan.

the positives was it was great to see so many younger people dancing their socks off and even attempting to sing along with the better known tunes

,reminded me so much of when i got into northern when i was 14 back in the early 70,s people just wanted to dance

Social source share

mike can we get this back up to all about soul please, there is some thing happening in Japan and we could do to know mate, delete my last two posts as well please mate.

Old news is no news :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

thanks for that Ken, guess you know all about what happened there last weekend on the vespa club run? Could you sling up the play list along with what butch played please

Just know about the Japan soul scene a bit,been done on here before :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

Keb Darge told me that there are mountains of records all over the place like Detroit.

Get past the language barrier and it's suppose to be Shangri-La

Remember how many Japanese imports show up.

Are there many ex pats there now on the soul scene? I have a mate who is ex Army there and I would like to hook him up, not that he needs it.

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Really not news as the scene is a small-ish, collector based one but been around for quite awhile.

Decent rare soul records really tough to find cheap but they are out there; ( Eh, Dave )

Butch and Keb have been DJ'ing there for about 10 years now., some very big collectors of soul but Reggae is massive in Japan !

saying that i haven't been over for 3 years so its probably all completely different now tumbleweed3.gif

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

I think it's well known Simon that Japanese collectors have been into the soul stuff for a long time, particularly the deep and the 70's obscure sweet/group and modern. I may be wrong, but were'nt they hoovering up all the 70's stuff out of US warehouses at the same time John Anderson etc were grabbing all the 60's stuff. At the time, the Japanese were going for anything soulfull, whereas our guys were going for the northern stuff. There's probably tons and tons of obscure 70's soul of all types stashed away in Japan that has yet to be discovered, that will be slowly but surely trickled onto playlists by Butch and others for years to come while most people still search for Detroit rareities in the States.

Jordi

Social source share

I think it's well known Simon that Japanese collectors have been into the soul stuff for a long time, particularly the deep and the 70's obscure sweet/group and modern. I may be wrong, but were'nt they hoovering up all the 70's stuff out of US warehouses at the same time John Anderson etc were grabbing all the 60's stuff. At the time, the Japanese were going for anything soulfull, whereas our guys were going for the northern stuff. There's probably tons and tons of obscure 70's soul of all types stashed away in Japan that has yet to be discovered, that will be slowly but surely trickled onto playlists by Butch and others for years to come while most people still search for Detroit rareities in the States.

Jordi

Hi Jordi,

Back in the day, Soul Bowl used to produce a list for Japan, some would say it had all the "good stuff" on it. :lol:

Social source share

Hi Jordi,

Back in the day, Soul Bowl used to produce a list for Japan, some would say it had all the "good stuff" on it. whistling

i've heard about those lists but never seen any. Bet they make amazing reading.

some of my best records have come from Japan.

I once found some great old pictures of soul clubs in Japan in 60s or 70s on somebodies blog.

Hitoshi had an amazing blog buts its gone now..... :sad:

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

the all nighter i mentioned was the 15th anniversary.keb and butch have certainly had a massive influence on the scene as well as the you tube tapes regarding dance styles.

the mod scene is a much bigger scene here and there are regular scooter runs in a few off the bigger cities

detroit techno is heard more frecking terrible bang bamg stuff.

hook on to the manifesto or nude restaurant web sites and they might e dates posted off the next northern nights if you are thinking of f coming across

Social source share

Keb Darge told me that there are mountains of records all over the place like Detroit.

Mountains of records, Yes. But they're not US soul 45s....more like 80s J-Pop, Idols, Enka, and animated movie soundtracks. Actually, You can buy good Soul/Funk LPs, the records collecting scene in Japan revolves around LPs, and to a lesser extent 12"s, but US 45s are not around much really.

Edited by greeneggz
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!