If This Isn't Soulful, I Don't Know What Is

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

Soul-Source member and scene regular Paul Sadot is up for a prestigious award for his work in the community.

Link to the article

Crime-fighting dancer in final

A DANCE guru who steers vulnerable youngsters away from a life of crime is in the running for a top award.

Paul Sadot, the inspirational artistic director of Cambridge-basedcollective Dance Offensive, is one of six Cambridgeshire entriesshortlisted for the Justice Awards.

This is a national campaign which recognises workers and volunteers whohave gone the extra mile to deliver justice for families andcommunities.

Mr Sadot, a master of Capoeira - a Brazilian art form which combinesdance, play and ritualised fighting - has been named one of the top 10finalists in the Tackling Youth Crime category.

He devotes much of his time to sharing his skills and engaging inprevention work with disadvantaged youngsters, and runs 15 hours offree classes each week, plus school projects and after-school clubs.

Earlier this year the collective represented the city at BreakinConvention's Future Elements platform at Sadler's Wells and theCultural Olympiad Summit.

Next year it will premiere its professional touring show, Olga, afull-length theatre piece dealing with the issue of intergenerationalconflict.

Mr Sadot was nominated by Tali Iserles, of the Cambridgeshire CriminalJustice Board, who watched Dance Offensive perform at a community event.

She said: "I was almost as impressed by the professional and positiveattitude of the group as by their gravity-defying performances.

"Their hip-hop workshops were also a massive hit and not just amongyoung people - police and politicians also joined in the fun."

There was also a nomination for prison officer Christopher Hawkes, whohas the job of contacting the families of inmates who die at Littleheyprison, near Perry.

He was put forward by colleague Jill Salkeld in the Working With Offenders category.

Witness Service volunteers at Cambridge Magistrates' Court werenominated by manager Frances Eaton-Hall for successfully handling themove last September from the temporary courthouse in Trumpington to thenew city centre site.

The final Cambridgeshire shortlisted nominees are Jody Sands and DavidShaw, therapists at HMP Whitemoor, Fenland Youth District Council, forits The Kids Are Alright campaign, and HMP Whitemoor's diversity team.

Finalists will be announced later this month, with winners being revealed at a ceremony in London on October 20.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

Every credit to him. I don't suppose it's decided by public vote?

Whether or not he wins the award he certainly deserves recognition for the work he's been doing.

15 hours of classes a week plus after school workshops! :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I went to see one of Dance Offensive's productions last year at the Contact Theatre.

Paul gave me a couple of guest list passes as my daughter is big on street dance.

What a great show it was-I would have paid if I'd known it was gonna be that good...he he!

I have all things crossed, you deserve it mate!! Hopefully you'll be back up north in a few years so I know where to send my two boys!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Great post James. Always good to read something uplifting.

Congrats on the nomination Paul. Its an amazing thing you are doing, and its great that you are getting some recognition.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

First time I've seen this.

Paul told me he was up for the award but has ignored my queries as to whether he won it or not.

I have all been to all but one of Paul's shows and I have to say they are truly amazing.

The first one we went to see was in Cambridge and we went there instead of going to Burnley. It was incredible. I came out of there feeling more uplifted than I ever felt coming out of an all nighter.

He is changing lives and that is awesome thing to be doing.

Nice one Paul!

Social source share

Good on ya Paul you grumpy old bugger tongue.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I remember you telling me back in the day that you're diabetic as well (or possibly the South London Massive have been calling you Diabetic Paul for the last 20 or so years in error laugh.gif ) so your achievements are all the more outstanding. Well done that bloke yes.gif

T x

Social source share

Good on ya Paul you grumpy old bugger tongue.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I remember you telling me back in the day that you're diabetic as well (or possibly the South London Massive have been calling you Diabetic Paul for the last 20 or so years in error laugh.gif ) so your achievements are all the more outstanding. Well done that bloke yes.gif

T x

Paul appears to have gone shy on us with this one (never known that before) :)

yes Theresa he is diabetic,

i hope he won the award he deserves it.

well done Paul (just in case)

Mark

Social source share

Oh god! Just come online and saw this. Ive been too busy to come on and moan about stuff.ha!laugh.gif

We actually performed at Westminster yesterday in front of Home Secretary, Attorney General etc! The kids were brilliant and for some it was their first trip to London...so they were very excited! Anyway, thanks everybody..its all below if you have time to read. If anyone wants to see the next show December 7th, let me know.

peaceyes.gif

Date

01/09/09

Reference

TI/21/10/09/JA/DO

CAMBRIDGE DANCERS DAZZLE MINISTERS

GRAVITY-DEFYING Dance Offensive wowed government ministers with a surprise performance at the prestigious Justice Awards.

The Cambridge dance group's high-energy show at Westminster's Banqueting House yesterday (Tuesday October 20) was kept top secret until the last minute.

Guests at the Justice Awards included Attorney General Baroness Scotland, Home Secretary Alan Johnson and David Hanson, Minister for Policing and Security.

Dance Offensive were the surprise star act at the awards, hosted by Crimewatch UK presenter Matthew Amroliwala.

Eight young Cambridge performers, ranging in age from 13 to 21, gave a stunning performance, combining breakdancing with hip hop moves.

Afterwards artistic director Paul Sadot was invited on stage to talk about the work Dance Offensive does in engaging young people and preventing youth crime.

The company, whose members include referrals from the Cambridgeshire Youth Offending Service, engages with hundreds of young people each year and delivers 15 hours of free classes each week.

Paul formed Dance Offensive in 2006 with the aim of integrating at risk youth with mainstream members.

He said: "We promote, via dance, a sense of social and communal care and responsibility and this provides a positive focus for a lot of young people. "

The eight dancers performing at Westminster had rehearsed their Unify dance piece for the past couple of months, putting in lots of hard work to perfect it.

Jana Harmitt-Read, 16, woke up at 6.30am to make the train to London on Tuesday morning.

"I set three alarms just to wake up. My brother got annoyed with them going off."

She said she'd felt nervous but once the group started rehearsing, her adrenaline had kicked in and she couldn't wait to perform.

The crew's oldest performer Samriye A-dirie, 21, was up till 1.30am the night before the Justice Awards, practising his breakdancing technique.

Samriye first became interested in Capoeira, a form of Brazilian street dancing, at his secondary school in Manchester at the age of 14.

It was there that he met Paul, a Capoeira master.

The latter was so impressed by Samriye's skills that he decided to mentor him.

These days Samriye is Dance Offensive's breakdance teacher, inspiring other youngsters.

He said: "Over the past two years a lot of them have come up from beginners to advanced dancers. Hopefully they will become the next generation of great breakers."

Mr Sadot said it was a "privilege and an honour" to headline at the Justice Awards, a national ceremony recognising justice staff who've gone the extra mile.

Dance Offensive will perform at the Mumford Theatre in Cambridge on December 7.

The Pressure Drop 2 show will feature some of the country's top dance professionals, including extreme martial arts champion Chloe Bruce.

For more details see www.danceoffensive.co.uk.

ENDS

Social source share

Guest familytree

well done that man!

if your ever performing northwest then please post the details... you obviously deserve the respect shown on here and now with the nomination.... so RESPECT! lol xx

Social source share

Guest Catfish

Brilliant work (have seen Dance Offensive, a couple of times), such creative talent and used to help others and foster their talent; shows true generosity of spirit & real soul. And he just quietly gets on with it, as well. There's a lot more to Paul than a record collection. My admiration & respect to you Paul!

Edited by Catfish
Social source share

Blimey! I've only just read this. I thought it was another of James' new release 45's he was inflicting on us, :laugh: sorry James but Kings go Second or whatever :rolleyes: not my thing......Anyway, sorry for being so slow on the uptake.....what a tremendous job you are doing there Paul, and best of luck with the award. I think we would all wish to be doing something as worthwhile as you are, but in reality, we just never get round to it. :blush: Top marks to you sir.

Phil.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!