Just Showing Off?

Hello everyone,

I found this DJ profile on a german website and found most of the things he said about dos in Germany where heavily exaggerated, very close to merely wrong, so I thought it would be nice to know how much is true about what he writes about his time in London. If he's telling the truth, at least every Londoner should know the guy! Just being curious, it migth be interessting. Tell me what you think about it, any comments welcome. ( translated the article into englishfor better reading comfort.) Have fun!

Dan D., born in Germany, spent a lot of time abroad in recent years, espiacially in the city of his choice, London. He stands behind the turntables since 1988 and even before DAN D. moved to London he had organised some of the biggest Soul-events in Germany.

He then successfully continued his carreer in England. Through bookings on Soul parties, he first made important contacts to start off the "Darker than Blue" - events. Under this name he was able to book some famous and popular DJs from London's Soul Scene for his own parties. To Connossieurs, the names of Keb Darge, Mike Thompson, Terry Jones and Jo Wallace will sound familiar. In the end, "Darker than Blue" took place weekly at the Soul Caf, where of course Dan D., as resident DJ, was always personally present.

Dan D. was the first german Soul DJ to be invited to Japan, to get people together on events and through radio shows and to spread the misson of Soul. There was a lot of enthusiasm, so that Dan now travels to Japan every year to promote the resurrection of Soul in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Back in Germany, he continued his "Darker than Blue"-Series in Cologne, where guests like Gwen McCrae, John Stapleton (Dope on Plastic) and Mike Thompson (London/UK) amongst others could be seen and heard. Addionally, the monthly Disco Heaven Party was brought into life, for which even out-stressed artists like Erobique from "International Pony" or Hans Nieswand (Whirlpool Productions) reserve space in their calendar frequently.

The Cologne Soul Weekender, that was elected internationally as "Best European Venue" in 2002, was also initiated and organised by Dan D. Live Act Gwen McCrae from Florida an more than 10 top Soul DJs from all over Europe fulfilled extra-special soul dreams. Also the Cologne Soul Weekender 2003, with more than 12 DJs from England, Germany and Japan and Incognito and Gary Des Etages, united over 1500 Soullovers from all over Europe.

Arriving in Hamburg in 2004, Dan took over the booking and residency for the well-known Soulkitchen events, before outsourcing his Draker than Blue - series to the Mandaly.

During his spots, Dan D. presents a mixture of original vinyl releases from the sixties and seventies up to today. He plays from 6ts Northern Soul and Funk via 7ts Garage and Salsoul to Nu Soul and Soulful Garage from recent years, everythins that the black-music-lovers-heart desires.

The german version can be found on www.soul.de.com

Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone,

I found this DJ profile on a german website and found most of the things he said about dos in Germany where heavily exaggerated, very close to merely wrong, so I thought it would be nice to know how much is true about what he writes about his time in London. If he's telling the truth, at least every Londoner should know the guy! Just being curious, it migth be interessting. Tell me what you think about it, any comments welcome. ( translated the article into englishfor better reading comfort.) Have fun!

Dan D., born in Germany, spent a lot of time abroad in recent years, espiacially in the city of his choice, London. He stands behind the turntables since 1988 and even before DAN D. moved to London he had organised some of the biggest Soul-events in Germany.

He then successfully continued his carreer in England. Through bookings on Soul parties, he first made important contacts to start off the "Darker than Blue" - events. Under this name he was able to book some famous and popular DJs from London's Soul Scene for his own parties. To Connossieurs, the names of Keb Darge, Mike Thompson, Terry Jones and Jo Wallace will sound familiar. In the end, "Darker than Blue" took place weekly at the Soul Caf, where of course Dan D., as resident DJ, was always personally present.

Dan D. was the first german Soul DJ to be invited to Japan, to get people together on events and through radio shows and to spread the misson of Soul. There was a lot of enthusiasm, so that Dan now travels to Japan every year to promote the resurrection of Soul in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Back in Germany, he continued his "Darker than Blue"-Series in Cologne, where guests like Gwen McCrae, John Stapleton (Dope on Plastic) and Mike Thompson (London/UK) amongst others could be seen and heard. Addionally, the monthly Disco Heaven Party was brought into life, for which even out-stressed artists like Erobique from "International Pony" or Hans Nieswand (Whirlpool Productions) reserve space in their calendar frequently.

The Cologne Soul Weekender, that was elected internationally as "Best European Venue" in 2002, was also initiated and organised by Dan D. Live Act Gwen McCrae from Florida an more than 10 top Soul DJs from all over Europe fulfilled extra-special soul dreams. Also the Cologne Soul Weekender 2003, with more than 12 DJs from England, Germany and Japan and Incognito and Gary Des Etages, united over 1500 Soullovers from all over Europe.

Arriving in Hamburg in 2004, Dan took over the booking and residency for the well-known Soulkitchen events, before outsourcing his Draker than Blue - series to the Mandaly.

During his spots, Dan D. presents a mixture of original vinyl releases from the sixties and seventies up to today.  He plays from 6ts Northern Soul and Funk via 7ts Garage and Salsoul to Nu Soul and Soulful Garage from recent years, everythins that the black-music-lovers-heart desires.

link

Never Heard of him? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

No i don't think i have heard of him at all but the worlds a big place :yes: ..Miss M...Is that my old freind Lady Miriam who lived in London for a few years..

link

What Woolfenstein? Is that you Miriam?

Dan D? Nevery heard of him but his name sounds like a children's comic.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If its who i'm thinking of miriam. he's a fairly tall (everyone's tallet than me) slim guy. Used to have a flat top then grew it slightly longer. I think he had quite a large tattoo on one upper arm.

He used to come to quite a few do's, and was always friendly and chatty. As far as I know tho, he always came as a punter. I dont remember him putting on any nites or DJing.

I think he may have been friendly with Yann Vatiste and Dave Flynn???

If its a different guy, I apologise.

hey Miriam, when are we likely to see you over here next?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Yes, it is THAT Miriam Stu, Mike and Steve. I do know the guy personally and was wondering if he just made up everything or if he did really run a club. In fact, he did organise these Cologne weekender, but as far as I know it was always half a desaster as he counted on 1000 people coming and in the end turned up about 200. Which isn't surprising, considering how small the scene is in Germany.

The weekender he was going to put on this year was called off. I don't know anyone who would have considered going, except for the DJs...

Mike, I'm planning to come to Manchester in September, if possible. Been to Cleethorpes but haven't seen you there this year? :rolleyes: Hoping to come to London again soon, but all the other bloody germans only ever want to go up north.

Social source share

didn't he organise one of the German weekenders recently? That'll be when he booked Terry, Jo, etc

link

That one was called off, I suppose because noone was buying tickets.

Social source share

What Woolfenstein?  Is that you Miriam?

Dan D?  Nevery heard of him but his name sounds like a children's comic.

link

He behaves it also.

Social source share

Which weekender was called off, was it the one later in the year on the north coast? Think it was called Dampsoul weekender (great name)  :rolleyes:

link

That's the one, and it was called Dampsoul because the name of the place is Damp - it's right in the middle of nowwhere and deserves it's name.

Social source share

Oh dear, has he upset you? :rolleyes:

link

He brought Northern Soul to Germany - in his opinion. We are all very greatful for the mission over here. :Fck_off_by_nulltarget:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes, it is THAT Miriam Stu, Mike and Steve. I do know the guy personally and was wondering if he just made up everything or if he did really run a club. In fact, he did organise these Cologne weekender, but as far as I know it was always half a desaster as he counted on 1000 people coming and in the end turned up about 200. Which isn't surprising, considering how small the scene is in Germany.

The weekender he was going to put on this year was called off. I don't know anyone who would have considered going, except for the DJs...

Mike, I'm planning to come to Manchester in September, if possible. Been to Cleethorpes but haven't seen you there this year?  :rolleyes:   Hoping to come to London again soon, but all the other bloody germans only ever want to go up north.

link

hey Miriam.

let me know then when you are over. I keep planning to go to Manch, but never seem to get my act together.

I dont live in London anymore either.

Will be at a few 100 clubs, but thats about it before Xmas.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That one was called off, I suppose because noone was buying tickets.

link

whistling.gif err.........no it wasn't. Terry Jones, Lloyd Attrill, Eddie Piller and me plus Keb Darge deejayed at the Limelight in Cologne which was a howling success - Gwen McCrae appeared (think it was 2002) and then the year after at the Fire House in Cologne where he put on Incognito plus the above mentioned deejays. This wasn't well attended but at least Dan tried to get something off the ground. He is promoting in Japan but if you want to find out from the man himself, please contact him on dan.dom@gmx.de - he'd be delighted to answer your questions. In London, Dan D did organise nights at the Soul Cafe where I deejayed which were busy. Right, go and look at the Rimini snaps.........wot a larf. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

thumbsup.gif err.........no it wasn't.  Terry Jones, Lloyd Attrill, Eddie Piller and me plus Keb Darge deejayed at the Limelight in Cologne which was a howling success - Gwen McCrae appeared (think it was 2002) and then the year after at the Fire House in Cologne where he put on Incognito plus the above mentioned deejays.  This wasn't well attended but at least Dan tried to get something off the ground.  He is promoting in Japan but if you want to find out from the man himself, please contact him on dan.dom@gmx.de - he'd be delighted to answer your questions.  In London, Dan D did organise nights at the Soul Cafe where I deejayed which were busy. Right, go and look at the Rimini snaps.........wot a larf.  Jo

link

Dunno about the Damp Soul Weekender being cancelled......... whistling.gif

Social source share

:thumbsup: err.........no it wasn't.  Terry Jones, Lloyd Attrill, Eddie Piller and me plus Keb Darge deejayed at the Limelight in Cologne which was a howling success - Gwen McCrae appeared (think it was 2002) and then the year after at the Fire House in Cologne where he put on Incognito plus the above mentioned deejays.  This wasn't well attended but at least Dan tried to get something off the ground.  He is promoting in Japan but if you want to find out from the man himself, please contact him on dan.dom@gmx.de - he'd be delighted to answer your questions.  In London, Dan D did organise nights at the Soul Cafe where I deejayed which were busy. Right, go and look at the Rimini snaps.........wot a larf.  Jo

link

I did actually go to both weekenders, and what I do know about it is that we had a good time at the first one, the venue was fantastic, but a howling success I wouldn't call it, as numbers weren't nearly as hight as Dan had expected. So both weekenders were a disaster finacially because there was too little people coming - which is in no way aurprising, as the soul scene in Germany is very small. the biggest and most established weekender is Nuremberg with about 300 to 400 people coming, but Dan always calculated with attendences a lot higher than that. That leads to the conclusion that he did not do it for the sake of the scene, but I don't want to go into speculations. Whatever reasons he had I don't know. We just felt he was trying to push the scene into something we didn't want.

Thanks for the info on the soul caf, I was really just being curious to know what and how it was - from someone else's point of view than that of the promoter himself.

As for Damp, Lars Bulnheim, who was also booked to DJ, told me it was called off!?! Maybe it wasn't after all?

Social source share

As for Damp, Lars Bulnheim, who was also booked to DJ, told me it was called off!?! Maybe it wasn't after all?

link

Sorry, folks, I think I got Lars wrong there, seems the Damp weekender wasn't cancelled. Not intending to spread rumors here... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

Sorry, folks, I think I got Lars wrong there, seems the Damp weekender wasn't cancelled. Not intending to spread rumors here...  :thumbsup:

link

I am one of the DJs booked for the Damp Weekender and Dan had booked our artists Gwen McCrae, Marva Whitney and Martha High as well. I just spoke to him last week and the weekender is in fact called off -- but Dan wants to reschedule it for March 2006. It's a very big event, he has presented me all his ideas for it, and it seems like a pretty tough show to organise. I believe that his sponsors asked for more time. But I wish him all the best and all the luck in the world that it will work out in 2006.

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

felt he was trying to push the scene into something we didn't want.

link

Just curious .. who is "we"? I feel that music should ne available to everyone, so how could anybody push "the scene" into something you don't want? Dan is free to do what he wants to do, and if you don't like it, simply don't attend.

Just my two cents.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Just curious .. who is "we"? I feel that music should ne available to everyone, so how could anybody push "the scene" into something you don't want? Dan is free to do what he wants to do, and if you don't like it, simply don't attend.

Just my two cents.

link

HEAR, HEAR - I agree...........Miss M, there's always the OFF button - he isn't pushing anything onto anyone - he's trying to get soul out to the masses. You have freedom of choice and if you don't want to go, he ain't holding a gun to your head :thumbsup: . Anyway, why are 'we' sitting here dissing someone who is, by all intents and purposes, trying to promote SOUL. It's not our business if he makes any money out of these events - good luck to him if he does. It's a basta*d hard job organising even the smallest do's, so if he makes a bit of dosh, good. The line-up of artists sounds brilliant and if he pulls this off - hats off to him. But the negative vibe isn't productive to spreading the goodness of soul...........it's what's in the groove that counts, not the person promoting it. I think 'we' should end this topic now........it is character assasination and the person involved isn't here to defend themselves and probably isn't even aware that he's being discussed..... Play fair children or you're all out of the play pen. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I did actually go to both weekenders, and what I do know about it is that we had a good time at the first one, the venue was fantastic, but a howling success I wouldn't call it, as numbers weren't nearly as hight as Dan had expected. So both weekenders were a disaster finacially because there was too little people coming - which is in no way aurprising, as the soul scene in Germany is very small. the biggest and most established weekender is Nuremberg with about 300 to 400 people coming, but Dan always calculated with attendences a lot higher than that. That leads to the conclusion that he did not do it for the sake of the scene, but I don't want to go into speculations. Whatever reasons he had I don't know. We just felt he was trying to push the scene into something we didn't want.

Thanks for the info on the soul caf, I was really just being curious to know what and how it was - from someone else's point of view than that of the promoter himself.

link

Miss M re: the Limelight Nighter and my use of the word 'howling'.............means everyone had a right good time and the Brits thought it was worth the journey and 'we' all collectively left with a smile on our faces.......f**k the numbers - the atmosphere was excellent.........or are statistics more important than a good vibe :thumbsup: Jo
Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

i think ive just heard of him via and argument with mike thompson!

i was mikes postman and when once posting some letters in this new residents house in hatifeld herts saw his car was chock-a-full of records....

mmm!! could be some easy pickings i thought.

well not really, got the class-set lp on mod art for 40 squid!

but mike did have a lot of disco '12's

i know keb frequented arouND there a few timeS picking up bits and bobs.

well back to the german dude, and when i was round MT'S house i could here some heavy disputes after the gwen mcrae gig in 2002..obviously someone got

stung on the cash front..

mind dont know who it was i was knee deep in vinyl.. :thumbsup:

no not p***y unfortunately :unsure:

anyway so dan d does his bit for the krauts but lets face it they all behave

like robots anyway.

visited munich once on a graffiti b-boy jam and lets just say the brits p***ed about

all weekend and the germans asked us to leave. :D

YOUR NAME WILL BE VIRST ON ZE LIST!!!!

Social source share

anyway so dan d does his bit for the krauts but lets face it they all behave

like robots anyway.

visited munich once on a graffiti b-boy jam and lets just say the brits p***ed about

all weekend and the germans asked us to leave. :thumbsup:

YOUR NAME WILL BE VIRST ON ZE LIST!!!!

link

Can`t remember the last time I read such an unnecessary and useless post so full of stupid prejudices.

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

Can`t remember the last time I read such an unnecessary and useless post so full of stupid prejudices.

link

I was gonna write the same thing.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was gonna write the same thing..  :shades:

link

ha! ha! lighten up

next you gonna say dads army wasnt funny?

it's all a bit tongue in cheek

just cause you are anoraks you can have a sense of humour :rolleyes:

suppose you didnt like it when we thrashed germany 1-5 then

if you got beef why not have a go at the person who postd the thread

in the first place..

the dan d was only tryng to sell himself!

i just made an observation from my own experience

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

ha! ha! lighten up

next you gonna say dads army wasnt funny?

it's all a bit tongue in cheek

just cause you are anoraks you can have a sense of humour whistling.gif

in the first place..

link

Oh, I have a great sense of humour. But this was just lame... soooo 1940s, totally outdated. And most of all, it wasn't even funny.

Social source share

:)

Sorry bit late on this one, but having read the stuff below, it is mostly true (if occasionally exagerrated). Dan ran the Soul Cafe just off Oxford street in London, really nice guy.

He shared our caravan at Cleethorpes a couple of times and I still have his sun glasses in my car. Not relevant, but true.

I trust he has offended "MissM" in some way but perhaps she could solve a puzzle for me? Dan always claimed that he had a ring piercing in his bell end, he said it improved his technique, is this true Miss M?

whistling.gif

Cheers

Paul

Hello everyone,

During his spots, Dan D. presents a mixture of original vinyl releases from the sixties and seventies up to today.  He plays from 6ts Northern Soul and Funk via 7ts Garage and Salsoul to Nu Soul and Soulful Garage from recent years, everythins that the black-music-lovers-heart desires.

link

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

wink.gif

Sorry bit late on this one, but having read the stuff below, it is mostly true (if occasionally exagerrated). Dan ran the Soul Cafe just off Oxford street in London, really nice guy.

He shared our caravan at Cleethorpes a couple of times and I still have his sun glasses in my car. Not relevant, but true.

I trust he has offended "MissM" in some way but perhaps she could solve a puzzle for me? Dan always claimed that he had a ring piercing in his bell end, he said it improved his technique, is this true Miss M?

:)

Cheers

Paul

link

Paul

how is Yorkshire treating you?

Dont get to many Wez Stam games any more I guess.

I believe the correct term for that peice of body art is a Prince Albert. Just in case you are thinking of getting one whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

in the first place..

link

I think that I watched that game with Miss M. She certainly still had a sense of humour afterwards, just about. Sadly she was not into wearing jackboots and barking out orders in a comedy German accent, so these stereotypes are clearly inaccurate. You've been watching too much 'Allo 'Allo.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Are you goimg to say that only once ?

link

rolleyes.gif Unless I can find the fallen Madonna with the big boobies.

On a more serious note, if it had been arabs stereotyped and not Germans there would have been hell to pay.

On a less serious note, have we yet established whether Dandy has a Prince Albert? I was just wondering, because there is that bit in Pulp Fiction where the advantages of a tongue piercing was discussed and I wondered whether there would be a bit of a risk of everything getting hooked up, which could be embarassing.

Social source share

Anyway, why are 'we' sitting here dissing someone who is, by all intents and purposes, trying to promote SOUL. It's not our business if he makes any money out of these events - good luck to him if he does. It's a basta*d hard job organising even the smallest do's, so if he makes a bit of dosh, good.

Did I say anything about making money? I didn't, that's not the point.

Just to put this right, the intention wasn't to attack anyone or to pull someones name in the dirt. I just felt that some things I read in his profile concerning germany weren't really true so I wondered if anyone could tell me a

anything about the things he did in London - no more. If people are telling me it was a good club he did, fine. After all, it was his own words in the profile, everyone can read it on his website.

"We" all appreciate if someone tries to promote soul, maybe I put that into misleading words. Most people I talked to just thought he was trying to make a big event out of a small underground scene. Not that we don't want new people on the scene, but if you try bringing 1000 people to a Soul event and there's only 200 "Soulies", the atmosphere looses, don't you think? That's my opinion, and that of a lot of friends. I agree that the groove is what counts, but it's always to a certain degree the crowd attending that creates the atmosphrere. What "we" felt was insulting was when he claimed to have brought Northern Soul to Germany.

So maybe it's best to end this topic, as you say, I didn't start it cause hard feelings. Or to discuss peoples jewellry. But I think it true because he told also me he had such a piercing... I didn't get to see it thou'

Social source share

I think that I watched that game with Miss M.  She certainly still had a sense of humour afterwards, just about.  Sadly she was not into wearing jackboots and barking out orders in a comedy German accent, so these stereotypes are clearly inaccurate.  You've been watching too much 'Allo 'Allo.

link

I remember that day... Think it took me a day or to to recover the sense of humor.

Social source share

I remember that day... Think it took me a day or to to recover the sense of humor.

link

ok ok my apologies...

i am stuck in the 1940's i know

so sorry to all ive offended

cant be bothered to argue over such silly comments

have a good weekend :P

Social source share

WOW, i seem to be famous....

;-)

thanx for advertising my website miss m.

crazy stuff about me....

and funny as hell...

thanx to jo wallace for putting my nose in it.

;-)

well Miss M. what can i say.....

i read your posts and am just wondering, why the heck did you not contact me in person if you have any questions regarding the weekender in damp.

rather than spreading rumours...

the london issue is solved, i assume.

but fyi:

the cologne soul weekender oct. 2002 (gwen mccrae, george mccrae, terry jones, eddie piller, jo wallace, mike thompson, lloyd attrill)

we had 600 people on friday night and 800 people on saturday.

on saturday, the venue owner decided at 8pm to tell me he would rip me of next morning and that it was my choice to open the doors or leave them closed.

i opened the door on saturday night, knowing i would face at least a 10.000euro loss. so who do you think i opened the door for?

the cologne soul weekender may 2003 (incognito, gary des etages, keb darge, eddie piller, terry jones, etc)

after still suffering from the fiancial loss, i made a wrong descision, trusting a business man who offered to put money in the weekender. this lead to me being out of the picture descision wise. and after working for 6 month on that event, i had to pick up people from the airport at 11pm. i left the venue fri night, when bluey came on stage and said "hi, we are incognito..." and returned to the venue when he said " thanx a lot , c u next time". so again i am asking. who do you think i do all this for. and the venue was far too big. we had 900 people on the door on fri. and only 400 on the door on sat.

damp weekender nov. 2005

how dare you talk about things u got no clue about.

the weekender is a very big project. and it will take place.

for me personally it does not matter if it is in nov. 2005 or april 2019.

it will be so big, it will blow ur head.

it blows mine every day.

;-)

(it will be march or may 2006 now)

register at info@soul.de.com

and please tell me, which parts in my cv are "not true"?

it was you who said i brought northern soul to germany, i didn't.

i never claimed to have done that.

why would i?

i am not even really into northern. i luv the music, but my main focus is on modern and nu soul.

and if i "make a big event out of a small underground scene" than please tell me who is narrow minded here?

the soul scene in germany is so small, that it does not make any sense at all to only invite soulies. why prevent 1000s of people from listening to good music? only because you want to be in your small scene?!?

i am sorry, i do not take you personal preferences into consideration when planning international events.

so after all maybe you should stay in "your" small scene.

and i also luv the way you use the term "we" in respect to the soul scene.

sounds nearly "unreal" to me.

who do you think you are?

i luv soul music.

i live soul music.

i wake up with it and i got to bed with it.

and not only since yesterday, but for quite some time now.

i do not fear financial losses, nor personal problems.

it is my mission to promote soul music in germany.

so if you ever plan to put up a comparable event in your life, please do not forget to tell me about.

i would love to see, how easy it is to put up an event like a weekender....

and please could you post your cv on here as well, just to know who "we" are talking to

;-)

to all who know and me and spoke good of me.

you know i luv you.

for all the others.

make sure you look out for the weekender in 2006.

seeing is believing.

kindest regards,

Dan Dombrowe

DAN D.

www.soul.de.com

oh and regarding the football threads....

if you keep winning 5-1 for the next 25 years, you might have a point to argue about...or for how many years did we cane you?

;-)

post-3454-1122295773_thumb.jpg

Social source share

why getting so insulting? all i did was asking a simple question and with good reason i did not ask you personally (obviously i wouldn't ask you about what others know about you, would i?).

at least now you managed to attack openly instead of posting comments in a german forum, addressed to my boyfriend and his mate. by the way, you sound a lot more offensive here than you did in the german forum, how come?

again: I never attacked you personally, nor your work, i never said you were narrow minded, i just asked what others knew about you, leaving the result open. At least that way a lot more people know about the Damp weekender now, as you don't seem to bother about advertising too much. also, if you read carefully enough, i didn't just say the weekender was called off, but also said this in a later post: (quote)

Sorry, folks, I think I got Lars wrong there, seems the Damp weekender wasn't cancelled. Not intending to spread rumors here...

when i said "we", i referred to friends and other people i talked to, though reading through the stuff again i must admit i didn't always put that very clear. i do apologize, never to happen again.

as for the bringing northern soul to germany, that was your statement on your very own website (the one that is up for sale now).

still, i don't see why i should be defending myself. i "dare", as you might like to put it, state my opinion, and will keep doing so in the future.

oh, and we didn't get the question about the piercing sorted yet, i believe... :shades:

Edited by MissM
Social source share

WOW, i seem to be famous....

;-)

thanx for advertising my website miss m.

crazy stuff about me....

and funny as hell...

thanx to jo wallace for putting my nose in it.

;-)

well Miss M. what can i say.....

i read your posts and am just wondering, why the heck did you not contact me in person if you have any questions regarding the weekender in damp.

rather than spreading rumours...

the london issue is solved, i assume.

but fyi:

the cologne soul weekender oct. 2002 (gwen mccrae, george mccrae, terry jones, eddie piller, jo wallace, mike thompson, lloyd attrill)

we had 600 people on friday night and 800 people on saturday.

on saturday, the venue owner decided at 8pm to tell me he would rip me of next morning and that it was my choice to open the doors or leave them closed.

i opened the door on saturday night, knowing i would face at least a 10.000euro loss. so who do you think i opened the door for?

the cologne soul weekender may 2003 (incognito, gary des etages, keb darge, eddie piller, terry jones, etc)

after still suffering from the fiancial loss, i made a wrong descision, trusting a business man who offered to put money in the weekender. this lead to me being out of the picture descision wise. and after working for 6 month on that event, i had to pick up people from the airport at 11pm. i left the venue fri night, when bluey came on stage and said "hi, we are incognito..." and returned to the venue when he said " thanx a lot , c u next time". so again i am asking. who do you think i do all this for. and the venue was far too big. we had 900 people on the door on fri. and only 400 on the door on sat.

damp weekender nov. 2005

how dare you talk about things u got no clue about.

the weekender is a very big project.  and it will take place.

for me personally it does not matter if it is in nov. 2005 or april 2019.

it will be so big, it will blow ur head.

it blows mine every day.

;-)

(it will be march or may 2006 now)

register at info@soul.de.com

and please tell me, which parts in my cv are "not true"?

it was you who said i brought northern soul to germany, i didn't.

i never claimed to have done that.

why would i?

i am not even really into northern. i luv the music, but my main focus is on modern and nu soul.

and if i "make a big event out of a small underground scene" than please tell me who is narrow minded here?

the soul scene in germany is so small, that it does not make any sense at all to only invite soulies. why prevent 1000s of people from listening to good music? only because you want to be in your small scene?!?

i am sorry, i do not take you personal preferences into consideration when planning international events.

so after all maybe you should stay in "your" small scene.

and i also luv the way you use the term "we" in respect to the soul scene.

sounds nearly "unreal" to me.

who do you think you are?

i luv soul music.

i live soul music.

i wake up with it and i got to bed with it.

and not only since yesterday, but for quite some time now.

i do not fear financial losses, nor personal problems.

it is my mission to promote soul music in germany.

so if you ever plan to put up a comparable event in your life, please do not forget to tell me about.

i would love to see, how easy it is to put up an event like a weekender....

and please could you post your cv on here as well, just to know who "we" are talking to

;-)

to all who know and me and spoke good of me.

you know i luv you.

for all the others.

make sure you look out for the weekender in 2006.

seeing is believing.

kindest regards,

Dan Dombrowe

DAN D.

www.soul.de.com

oh and regarding the football threads....

if you keep winning 5-1 for the next 25 years, you might have a point to argue about...or for how many years did we cane you?

;-)

link

I wish you the very best for the weekender Dan,please keep us informed of the event,you've had Incognito,Gwen Mcrae,George Mcrae and Gary Des Etages in the past :shades:

The DJ's include Keb Darge and Terry Jones,can't fault you there either Dan.

You have been very dignified with your response.

Regards

Pete

Social source share

ok ok my apologies...

i am stuck in the 1940's i know

so sorry to all ive offended

cant be bothered to argue over such silly comments

have a good weekend :shades:

link

what you talking about mr postman you ain't old enough to be stuck in the 1940s

QoF

XX

Social source share

Paul

how is Yorkshire treating you?

Dont get to many Wez Stam games any more I guess.

I believe the correct term for that peice of body art is a Prince Albert. Just in case you are thinking of getting one  :shades:

link

Yorkshire is absolutely brilliant, but don't get out much due to weekends being the busiest time for me. Gave up me season ticket on moving north I'm afraid. However watched the playoff final and very pleased at the outcome this year. With so many shite teams in the premiership we should stay up if only by the skin of our teeth.

Not intending to have a piercing at my age thank you laugh.gif:):D

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Hi Miss M,

I found your statements by accident - as I was looking for the next gigs of Dan D.

I was a little bit upset to read all the crazy stuff about him - because he is a nice and good guy, always fighting for others and the music , not for himself. He is one of the nicest person I got to know in this crazy world!

You can call me a big fan if you like and I know him better perhaps than somebody else in here.

Everything he does and everything he did (especially the great shows in Hamburg - thanx a lot) need full respect - because he brings good music to people like me, who are not in the scene and came to this great Soul Music accidentally - thank you again Dan!

He spent 5 years in London, where - of course - he stood at the turntables and organized do´s! And he went to Japan - as one of the first German to promote Soul.

I tried to contact him because I am a big fan - so if you read this DAN D., please let me know where I could see you and hear your music next time (because I cannot wait until DAMP 2006). :thumbsup:

If you want to know more about what he did, do not hesitate to contact me...

Cristina

Social source share

By all due respect "Cristina"...especially for your investment of time and energy to register here only to look for Dan`s next gigs (...)... neither did the German nor the Japanese Soul Scene need at any place in time any kind of "eductaion" or initial push forward thru Dan or any other person.

Rare Soul was in Germany (and of course Japan) more then 15 years before Dan started his own events or even found his interest for the music in general.

And to my knowledge he is not having any gigs at all currently except for the one he was organizing this year in Damp. The fact that this one was (sadly enough though) going to be another fiasco was foreseeable for different reasons.

However I wish the best of luck for his new plan to put it up again in 2006 then.

This thread started out as "showing off" which is what it wasn`t in the first place. Then it became insulting thru one certain poster which forced me to say a word but now indeed it has become somehow a "just showing off"...so that is what forced me (again) to put one or two things right. I hope you ddon`t mind.

TIA

Marc

NB

Who still wants a full weekend(er) of three nights of exclusive Rare Soul here in Germany in late autumn should go the Frankfurt Uptight Allnighter starting on a friday with a 6ts Rares Soul night offering a 1000 people capacity two room allnighter on the sunday (incl. Terry Jones, Arthur Fenn, MS Dienel and many others incl. me) and finishing on a sunday with a Modern Soul Nighter at a terriffoic third venue ! www.uptight.org :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert