Ebay Bootleggers 84 Items Now

Kevinkent

Back in June I started a thread regarding an Ebay seller "vinylrecordcutting" who had a couple of hundred white label boots for sale.

Loads on here followed me in reporting said items to Ebay and (very) slowly their sales wore down.

SO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SELLER..........northernsoulsister55

84 items currently for sale !!!!!!!!

Strange that they only started selling 3 months ago, and our friend vinylrecordcutting had his last sale about the same time :chinstroke:

Both northernsoulsister55 and vinylrecordcutting are from Down, UK. :chinstroke:

No white labels this time.............they're all booted on 2 labels......."Princetown Records" or "NorthernSoulSource" (piss-take or what!)

And they are all Buy it Now items, so the exorbitant bids followed by failure to pay measures taken by a few good guys on here can't happen again.

Anyone on here have the time, clout, contacts and know-how to follow this up? It seemed to take me forever back in June, and nothing seemed to happen for ages.

- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveO

Kev,

I had dealings with this specimin about 9 months ago re one of these white lable things.Arranged to send him cash/cheque as I dont do the paypal thing (scumbags)...then he went back on the deal and blamed me!! Ask pete s as he mailed me too about negative feedback from this joker.

Next thing I know, my password was changed and I had problems with ebay.Coincidence? No, this git is a prime rip off merchant and is lucky I personally cant be arsed to visit Co Down (which I know very well from my army days over there) or he'd be classed a statistic!

I took the trouble of reporting him to the BPI....but as per usual heard nothing back and it looked like they didnt believe me.

maybe another mail to them from yourself and anyone else who has had dealings might help but I wouldnt hold my breath...

I'd love him to come to the mainland....

Wonder if Phil Shields knows who he is?His full address was not on ebay

Social source share

Its a disgrace that this persons is still peddling his stuff -whats even sadder is the fact that he has a market place,just wondered if hes passing his stuff off as a ltd company? which brings a whole new remit of legality with it,might be worth checking out I would of thought,another issue is how do ebay regulate WITHN this climate and ofcourse effect appropriate action!

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

"northernsoulsister55" was reported to eBay's VERO unit last month.

The eBay account is registered to Kimberly Cheston based in Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland.

I also suspect she is linked to the operators of a website called www.northernsoulsource.com which was closed down recently following documents served on their webhost providers.

The BPI Anti-Piracy unit are now investigating the owners of the suspended website, as discussed recently on another thread.

They had ignored cease and desist notices and had been evasive so I assume they are fully aware of the illegality of their actions.

Social source share

"northernsoulsister55" was reported to eBay's VERO unit last month.

The eBay account is registered to Kimberly Cheston based in Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland.

I also suspect she is linked to the operators of a website called www.northernsoulsource.com which was closed down recently following documents served on their webhost providers.

The BPI Anti-Piracy unit are now investigating the owners of the suspended website, as discussed recently on another thread.

They had ignored cease and desist notices and had been evasive so I assume they are fully aware of the illegality of their actions.

thumbsup.gif Thanks Paul, I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know that something is being done about this.

- Kev.

Social source share

I think each of us should go on ebay and report each item as a bootleg. Ebay would sit up and take notice especially if its 50 different people as If I report each one it could be seen as a vendetta from one member.

Ive started with Solomon Burke

Whose next!

Well done, Ernie.

eBay are often slow and / or weak with these kind of things but I agree that multiple reports from different individuals will help.

I really don't think eBay take these things seriously enough.

Social source share

thumbsup.gif Thanks Paul, I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know that something is being done about this.

- Kev.

Hello Kev,

I was very impressed with the webhost company, Bluehost. They killed the website and suspended the account within hours of receiving legal documents.

If only eBay took their responsibilities so seriously. eBay seems to be a safe haven for bootleggers.

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

I've passed on the info to higher authorities, though they haven't done anything specifically that we own as far as I can see. But they have done stuff we've got strong licenses on. Thanks for spotlighting it.

Ady

HI Ady

Here is one that I thnk you have licensed in the past -

Click here

TONY GALLA - IN LOVE

Social source share

I've just reported the George Pepp, reckon if two or three people report each of the now 93 listings this will do the trick and Ebay may actually act on this, disgrace and I so hope the fuckers get what's coming to them.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well done. They might even get an ASBO after one hundred offences.

For what it's worth, I've reported another three cases in which the songs are owned or controlled by Millbrand. I'm also submitting VERO notices to back them up with claims of copyright infringement.

But I'm still wondering who on earth buys these things ...apart from me, of course. :chinstroke:

Social source share

To be an "injured party" you really need to own a master or hold an unexpired exclusive license to a master, even if only for UK territories.

I'm sure that Ace will have exclusive licenses on some of the tracks involved. A good example might by the Ty Karim tracks.

Other "injured parties" can be publishers or sub-publishers.

Many of the tracks involved are owned by Universal Music Group but, sadly, they seldom take any interest in this sort of thing.

Social source share

HI Ady

Here is one that I thnk you have licensed in the past -

Click here

TONY GALLA - IN LOVE

Hi guys,

i reported this shite hawk to ebay etc,and guess what they tryed to get the bloody money out of me because i reported him/her...then gave me bad feedback.....now theyve suspended my account..but if all goes well,me and the woman are poppin over to see her clan..haha..will let you no how long his screams last....haha. Aunt cath is a big UMAN.....xgood.gif

Social source share

How about another 'retailer'.. based in south of England someplace, can't remember exactly where. Under the name of YankeeCandle something or other..

Several weeks back I saw them listing quite a few, assorted 'buy it now' 45's.. all out & out bootleg carved stuff.

I sent them a direct & pertinent request - are they 'just retailing' - having bought 'wholesale' ?? Or directly responsible for the production of said offending items. Mentioning a few of their listings 'owned' by major labels - and how interested the legal title-holder's may be to learn someone else is making money on the back of their 'investment(s)'.

Needless to say.. I haven't heard a Dickie-bird since.

Anyone come across this ebay seller ?? Know anything about them / their operations ??

They also listed 'non vinyl' items in their ebay store but, the vinyl sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyone ?? unsure.gifg.gif

Fingers boxing.gif

Social source share

Wilson Pickett, Isonics, Duke Browner all reported..........

Just looking at buyers feedback that have requested "private". They have been buying originals also.

Looks as if they would rather buy up the boot for quickness to concentrate on buying lesser knowns originals that are still available and not in most dj's collections.

imo I would try and out the ones that are funding them too, they are creating the market don't you think?

H

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Wilson Pickett, Isonics, Duke Browner all reported..........

Just looking at buyers feedback that have requested "private". They have been buying originals also.

Looks as if they would rather buy up the boot for quickness to concentrate on buying lesser knowns originals that are still available and not in most dj's collections.

imo I would try and out the ones that are funding them too, they are creating the market don't you think?

H

The "private" thing is diabolical from ebay, and alot of the buyers are buying more than one of thesame record from the bootleggers, obviously just mates of the seller.

Another flagrant boot here -

click here

Social source share

this one isn't a carver, it's worse. It's one of 100s of "two for the price of one" double sided vinyl bootlegs pressed in 1000's that started to appear a few years ago. You'll find that most the major dealers have these sorts of boots in stock. Sickens me. Was told they originate from a well known DJ/promoter in the UK, anyone confirm?

I don't think it's one of those that you're talking about. They all came out around 2000 to 2003 and have two tracks from the same label, and the labels on both sides are the same. The ones with different tracks from different labels e.g. Okeh on one side and Neptune on the other, are the work of the recent bootleggers talked about in this thread.

Social source share

I agree with the sentiments and actions but does the same not apply to other boots, counterfeits, carvers (many with copied labels), unlicenced reissues, unlicenced cds etc.etc. which are advertised/sold on ebay, soulsource, at venues etc. etc.

John

Social source share

I agree with the sentiments and actions but does the same not apply to other boots, counterfeits, carvers (many with copied labels), unlicenced reissues, unlicenced cds etc.etc. which are advertised/sold on ebay, soulsource, at venues etc. etc.

John

Yes it does but in many cases these were created many years ago or in such a manner that it was impossible to tell if they were 'licensed' or not so stopping the producers very difficult.

I have had the misfortune to suffer more than one burglary at my home over the years. If I catch someone breaking in tonight should I wave them on their way because no one was caught in the past? That may be your approach I think I'd react somewhat differently whistling.gif

Social source share

Yes it does but in many cases these were created many years ago or in such a manner that it was impossible to tell if they were 'licensed' or not so stopping the producers very difficult.

I have had the misfortune to suffer more than one burglary at my home over the years. If I catch someone breaking in tonight should I wave them on their way because no one was caught in the past? That may be your approach I think I'd react somewhat differently whistling.gif

Ged to use your analogy I think it's more why stop some burglars and allow others unlimited access. There's a link on here now that takes you to a site with dodgy looking re-issues. I think you've seen it.

Before I get both barrels back bear in mind you're already in my bad books for slating Nightwatch.

ROD

Social source share

Ged to use your analogy I think it's more why stop some burglars and allow others unlimited access. There's a link on here now that takes you to a site with dodgy looking re-issues. I think you've seen it.

Before I get both barrels back bear in mind you're already in my bad books for slating Nightwatch.

ROD

Rod,

Thanks, that's exactly my point.

John

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

John

It suprises me that some promoters allow record dealers/sellers to openly sell bootleg records at their venues. This even happens at venues that advertise playing original vinyl only !mellow.gif

Social source share

ROD

Rod

Both barrels lol I'm only expressing a view on something I have very little chance of ever changing. You have a fair point the analogy isn't water tight but I'm not advocating giving anyone full access.

Most of the people that sell boots at soul nights are not the creators or even the original buyers of the said items and although they help keep the market going. If you could at a stroke destroy all bootlegs that had ever been made new ones would just be created in their place. Making more money for the current opportunists who I think are the ones that should be challenged.

I could understand buyers being around for these items in the 70's and 80's but once CD's became prevalent why the hell does anyone want to own one of these it's beyond me.

I'd prefer it if Mike didn't allow such links, ebay was stronger on stopping these things being sold, venues stopped sellers who routinely sell boots and dodgy CD's but it must be hard to police.

On the Nighwatch - I bought it; paying more for it then than it is probably worth now; and it is a great piece of white pop that was the right tempo at the time and I'd never sell it but it's just not soulful or right for today in my view. Don't think I was slating it though just admitting to playing it.

Social source share

Rod

Both barrels lol I'm only expressing a view on something I have very little chance of ever changing. You have a fair point the analogy isn't water tight but I'm not advocating giving anyone full access.

Most of the people that sell boots at soul nights are not the creators or even the original buyers of the said items and although they help keep the market going. If you could at a stroke destroy all bootlegs that had ever been made new ones would just be created in their place. Making more money for the current opportunists who I think are the ones that should be challenged.

I could understand buyers being around for these items in the 70's and 80's but once CD's became prevalent why the hell does anyone want to own one of these it's beyond me.

I'd prefer it if Mike didn't allow such links, ebay was stronger on stopping these things being sold, venues stopped sellers who routinely sell boots and dodgy CD's but it must be hard to police.

On the Nighwatch - I bought it; paying more for it then than it is probably worth now; and it is a great piece of white pop that was the right tempo at the time and I'd never sell it but it's just not soulful or right for today in my view. Don't think I was slating it though just admitting to playing it.

I wasn't being serious. Think maybe zero tolerance or leave it to Paul and Ady to protect their rights. No point getting worked up about the odd seller.

Nightwatch is like my baby. One of first things I conned sold to Richard along with Peter Jarrett at the same time. And people blame Russ!!

ROD

Social source share

Rod

ged

boot cd/dvd (and other media - usb flash other day:rolleyes: ) sales are given the heave ho

policy on recent vinyl boots is harder to define and enforce (though will always assist any current legimate record label if they do have concerns )

and most certainly would look at action on anyone flogging vinyl carvers wholesale style on here

cheers

mike

Social source share

I didn't think you were serious.:thumbup:

I'm sure Ady and Paul can look after themselves.

If ebay didn't list these things though it would make my searches a whole lot more productive and hopefully much less frustrating.

I'd much rather have a search throw up no results than 10 that all turn out to be boots.

As I said Nightwatch was right time; right place.

Social source share

ged

boot cd/dvd (and other media - usb flash other day:rolleyes: ) sales are given the heave ho

policy on recent vinyl boots is harder to define and enforce (though will always assist any current legimate record label if they do have concerns )

and most certainly would look at action on anyone flogging vinyl carvers wholesale style on here

cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

As I said very difficult (if not impossible) to police and I realise that particularly when they are on sites that there are links to.

Ged

Social source share

Guest JimSLH

I think there is room for Boots as people will buy them but I also think should be highlighted on the sale it is a repress boot what ever but anbody with a clue can tell whats going on

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hayes Cotton

Little Nicky Soul

Little Tommy

King Tutt

The Isonics

Karmella Brooks etc.. etc...

That's a hell of a spot for someone with zero integrity and a member of the any format will do brigade. angry.gif

Reported Hayes Cotton btw.

Social source share

I've just reported the George Pepp, reckon if two or three people report each of the now 93 listings this will do the trick and Ebay may actually act on this, disgrace and I so hope the fuckers get what's coming to them.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

How do you go about reporting Mark ? I'd like to throw my two penneth in too.....angry.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert