Northern Soul Memorabilia - The Rarest Item ?

The Tempest

260096642690.jpgArticle lifted from Popsike - 2007

The Torch All-Nighter, Tunstall, Stoke- on -Trent. Anyone remember it? I'll bet there's a fair few. My Dad told me years ago that The Torch was a picture house (cinema) locally known as The Bug hut, he even said that you came out scratching. Yeah O.K. Dad, when I came out of there, I came out sweating. Anyway, sorry to all you record collectors because these two little beauties are not records, but I didn't know what category to put them in, and if The Torch isn't in that category, then will someone please E-mail me with a better suggestion. Right , Ready? HERE, FOR TEN DAYS ONLY, ON E-BAY- ARE THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN TORCH TORCHES - Sold for £ 47.00 .

What else is out there and whats the rarest piece of memorabilia ?

g.gif

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

g.gif

I'm guessing pieces of the dance floor from Wigan :thumbup:

What happened to the Wigan piano ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

l happen to have both a black key and a white key in a frame in my dining room....Please, Malc, (cos l kinda know you) don't say 'Living In Perfect Harmony!

Please Phil , give me more credit than that ......

If the frame in which said ivories are housed is on the wall , 6 feet from the floor , it will mean they are " The High Keys " .

Malc Burton

Social source share

g.gif I'm guessing pieces of the dance floor from Wigan glare.gif

...wonder if there are any bootlegs knocking aboutwicked.gif? I can see it now; some charlie, in his garage, with some old, remaindered block flooring, adding some wear, poishing it up, and BINGO!, its on EBAYwhistling.gif

Social source share

If the frame in which said ivories are housed is on the wall , 6 feet from the floor , it will mean they are " The High Keys " .Malc Burton

...and if they weren't, the genuine article, they'd be ......'Living a Lie'wicked.gif

..mind you, if they were in your living room, and the keys fell off their hook, they'd be 'lying, in the living room'....wicked.gif

Social source share

How about this one - the original road sign from outside Wigan - "Station Road" !

In fact, it was only last weekend when we were talking and laughing about how this was acquired and carried off on top of a bag wrapped in a pair of jeans! Co-incidence or what!

Following our organising of next weekend's long awaited Torch Reunion , we set about making enquiries for related memorabilia .

We will have quite a trove of memorabilia on show - like Barmy Barry , the original Torch DJ , who will be doing a spot in the evening - but one of our main goals , was to see if we could find the original " Golden Torch " sign from the front of the building , which was removed shortly after the closure in March 1973 .

Sadly , despite numerous enquiries , our search was in vain . I would like to think that it lies forgotten in the back of a garage or garden shed , but it is more likely that it was destroyed years ago .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Following our organising of next weekend's long awaited Torch Reunion , we set about making enquiries for related memorabilia .

We will have quite a trove of memorabilia on show - like Barmy Barry , the original Torch DJ , who will be doing a spot in the evening - but one of our main goals , was to see if we could find the original " Golden Torch " sign from the front of the building , which was removed shortly after the closure in March 1973 .

Sadly , despite numerous enquiries , our search was in vain . I would like to think that it lies forgotten in the back of a garage or garden shed , but it is more likely that it was destroyed years ago .

Malc Burton

Warning......

If you start talking to Barmy Barry, do it as far away from the bar as you possibly can or trsut me you'll be £2-50 worse off

PS ask him if he has any story's about Lulu?

Social source share

Warning......

If you start talking to Barmy Barry, do it as far away from the bar as you possibly can or trsut me you'll be £2-50 worse offunsure.gifbiggrin.gif

PS ask him if he has any story's about Lulu?

.....while I'm on Major's coat can't be far off as a must have bit of memorabiliayes.gif

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Guest julie s

jez we.ve had a scrap book that belonged to phil morgan with pictures flyers and autographs of most of the artists that played at the torch and the wheel would you like me to bring it along next week p.s its not for sale xxrolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

jez we.ve had a scrap book that belonged to phil morgan with pictures flyers and autographs of most of the artists that played at the torch and the wheel would you like me to bring it along next week p.s its not for sale xxrolleyes.gif

Hiya Julie,can I answer this one?---------yes please Im sure \that people would love to see it.

Thanks,

Steve

Social source share

Guest Trevski

260096642690.jpgArticle lifted from Popsike - 2007

The Torch All-Nighter, Tunstall, Stoke- on -Trent. Anyone remember it? I'll bet there's a fair few. My Dad told me years ago that The Torch was a picture house (cinema) locally known as The Bug hut, he even said that you came out scratching. Yeah O.K. Dad, when I came out of there, I came out sweating. Anyway, sorry to all you record collectors because these two little beauties are not records, but I didn't know what category to put them in, and if The Torch isn't in that category, then will someone please E-mail me with a better suggestion. Right , Ready? HERE, FOR TEN DAYS ONLY, ON E-BAY- ARE THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN TORCH TORCHES - Sold for £ 47.00 .

g.gif

None. its all tat.

Social source share

will do mate xxthumbup.gif

Nice one Julie-yeah bring it along if you will. There are a few others bringing bits and bobs of the old place so there will be plenty of perusing going onunsure.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif .........amongst other thingswicked.gif

see ya next week x

ps bring a top coat --its always draughty in Hose stbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Nice one Julie-yeah bring it along if you will. There are a few others bringing bits and bobs of the old place so there will be plenty of perusing going onunsure.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif .........amongst other thingswicked.gif

see ya next week x

ps bring a top coat --its always draughty in Hose stbiggrin.gif

I never really noticed it being draughty in HS , as I usually had a bit of a " warm glow " :lol: ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Give me tat like this anyday lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Records are not included in 'tat' Mark! Only bricks from wigan, major lance's jockstrap, ian levine's tearstained hankie, russ' wig, an old meat and potato pie crust from wigan balcony, bits of twisted wheel, etc etc etc!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!