How Important Are Flyers

Guest dundeedavie

Guest dundeedavie

In the general area of adding numbers to your door , how important is flyer design ?

For example at "groove thing" I'm considering getting an artist

to create a flyer , to make it a work of art every month ... Is it worth it ?

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not that important to me to be honest.

I might glance at them in a venue and that's about it.

Music policy and DJ's on the night are how I make my decisions on where to attend.

Plus the events listings and look backs on SS.

And that won't change no matter how good the flyer artwork is.

Social source share

Dave.

To get your venue going yes go for it eye catcher a must, after that if its good they will return so the flyer thing is far less important mate ,unless its not a regular event.

Flyers get lost in a sea of flyers, dont put them on tables early they will get covered by hundreds morewhistlingshades ,

When im out i will only ever pick one up if it catches my eyes and ive not noticed that venue before

Rob

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

well if there were no flyers..........think of all the time saved by peeps who only go to other venues for the first half hour just to put out flyers for their own venue,then bugger off home.Or worse sending flyers with a mate to clutter up a venue they would have no intention of attending anyway..........why flyer venues you don't attend?..:wink:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

In the general area of adding numbers to your door , how important is flyer design ?

Well, i think it is very important, nothing better than seeing a really good flyer,combine that with good djs and your on a winner thumbsup.gif maybe there should be a flyer contest , or maybe not........no.gif .cheers davie...

Social source share

Please please please! no more arty farty flyers , personally i am sick to death of seeing flyers with totally non related stuff on them , for instance i saw one a little while back with a bloody great big lorry on it . "whats that all about "i cant even remember what venue it was advertising ...a bit like some of the surreal adverts on tv just annoying, if i dont know what it is trying to sell in the first few seconds then i aint interested . I have dealt with advertising all my working life so understand the concept , but if you are trying to sell us a "soulnight " then just tell us,its not expensive perfume your trying to flog ....so answer to the question , my advice keep it simple use the forums etc. if a few people come to your event and they like it then they will tell a few more etc.......word of mouth ! thats how it used to be and is still the best reccomendation........believe me i have tried all the other options .......biggrin.gif

Social source share

With my eyesight I just like big letters on a clean white background please. One of he best flyers for design must be The United Sounds of Soul take on a dollar bill but must be near one of the hardest for me to read! I try to read the flyers at all venues I attend.

Social source share

As a graphic designer by profession I would say flyers remain more important to attendees than you, and indeed they, may think (on the occasions we go out we will always download the flyer off the net if we haven't been able to pick one up) - not as much as pre- the net of course (when I went out every week I hardly knew what day it was so needed em to remind what was on next week, specially after Echoes went) - some people may be organised enough to note down dates for venues they want to go to well in advance (this is what spouses are for!), but many won't and a flyer stuck to the fridge is an easy way to remember the upcoming dates... So you could see numbers dropping off without providing at least occasional reminders of when you're on - and of course, like a dancefloor, once you lose the punters it's a bugger to get em back.

I would say one of the cores of good design is that it should 'speak' to the recipient audience - ie it should be relevant to the subject and communicate something of the 'culture' of a venue... Pretty though it may be, a '70s groovy grooves' look just WON'T work in promoting the venue in its own right if that do is actually firmly in a Wheel stylie - and indeed it may count against you (bear this in mind too with amending a cover design as a leaflet - despite the sounds on say Soul Superman, if you were to use a tweaked version of this cover to do a leaflet it would fall flat to the UNINITIATED/NON-COLLECTOR because it just looks too trippy for the crowd that like the music contained on the album - though of course this could also mean it can be used as a handy filter if you want to discourage divs).

Finally within my business there was for a long time the perception that the net would wipe out print to a large extent - it simply hasn't happened (and on the contrary has resulted in an expansion of print off the back of an increased tendency for 'information collection' kicked off by the net) one key reason is that printed matter carries more perceived weight/value and tends to be retained better than stuff read on screen (in my business you soon learn that you cannot proof read on screen and have to print stuff out to check - this should tell you something).

I'm sure the above is pretty obvious - just thought I'd shove my oar in. Have to say there's some cracking flyers around at the mo - though some miss the point that they need to clearly inform what/when the bleedin' hell they're promoting.

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Greetings Mr H

I remember the flyer for the 1st Midnite Town.....it was so good that i had it enlarged and framed. I save many of the arty ones for the purpose of memory lane. Far too pretty or striking to throw away, so in turn the event, time and place advertised stays in the mind....well it does for me!!!

Social source share

Davie,

flyers I think do help, and I think that Jem's comment illustrates the point, 'I saw one with a big lorry on it' well tat flyer obviously worked as it caught his attention thumbsup.gif

Most of the comments on here are about right but flyers do get boring, but check out subway soul club (New York) flyers, they are really good and eyecatching even when advertising us Brits going over there to DJ. good.gif

Good luck but don't pay too much as most can be done by someone with a good working knowledge of microsoft publisher or other type of publisher package.

Cheers

Stebbo

thumbup.gif

Social source share

I think it would be a bit boring if all we had was white pieces of paper with big letters on them. Can understand non-related images being considered bizarre, but flyers are part of the scene culture and help give it a solid identity not for outsiders but for those already involved, particularly with the different segments of the scene now providing more varied playlists.....rare nights, oldies, funk stuff, more mod & r&b orientated events.....

A lot of the flyers from Spain & Sweden are exceptional, along with our own 100 club ones, and Kent artwork in particular has greatly benefited the internal image of the scene imho. At the end of the day it is just a flyer made purely to attract interest, and providing the correct information is being given (as in music policy, DJs ect - the important stuff) then thats the bit that actually counts. The rest is just interesting (or not) gumpf.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I should expand , of these flyers very few will end up in soul venues as the crowd we are trying to attract are younger people who can then progress onto the more dedicated so venues .

And T I have commisioned Dunsby to do them :-)

Social source share

Guest Andy Brazil

Didn't Joe Dutton commission someone to design his Backbeat flyers?

Great art work on those, and immediately recognisable.

So long as cost is not excessive I think it would be worth it.

I agree, fantastic flyers!

I think they were also done by Dunsby, always class, the Pow Wow ones were great too. (yet, very different in style to what he did for Backbeat)

Ideally a flyer should evoke the style & attitude of the music before you've even read it.

so you "know" a flyer is aimed at a northern/modern/R&B audience at first glance.

printed matter carries more perceived weight/value and tends to be retained better than stuff read on screen

Definately!

some really good points in that post.

I think the point that "Fancy flyers don't matter, it's the DJ line up that influences peoples choices"

may apply to an established event, where you'd be preaching to the converted anyway.

(& in those cases a "rough & ready" kind of flyer can even add an underground, "in the know" kind of appeal,

and can have the function more of an update)

with a new venture or something a bit different you obviously have to work harder in every respect,

a good flyer becomes a statement of intent.

good luck with the new night Davie,

Dunsby is an excellent choice.

regards

A.

Edited by Andy Brazil
Social source share

i was most pleased with our flyer. a mate of mine who is doing very well in manchester did them for us.

i like a good flyer...i must admit.

go for it dave. dunsby is a good guy and will do a great job. someone else to consider is mick from sheffield (the penguin on modculture) - he is fab too.

shane

post-941-12557115599178_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Perfect flyer,perfect line up

med_gallery_1986_2633_28519.jpg

yer livin' in the past Kenny lol , if you were to hand that out to a digital generation it wouldn't work at all .

it's a sad thing to say but in general it's all about marketing , the music might be the best in the world but if you cannot entice people in it'll go tits up , and you gotta use whatever you have at your disposal to do that

Social source share

well if there were no flyers..........think of all the time saved by peeps who only go to other venues for the first half hour just to put out flyers for their own venue,then bugger off home.Or worse sending flyers with a mate to clutter up a venue they would have no intention of attending anyway..........why flyer venues you don't attend?..wink.gif

100 club before last, there were 2 guys doing flyers outside.

ohmy.gifThey didn't even come in to the club !!!!!!!!!

What's that all about?

If you don't appreciate the music and respect the scene, take your flyers and F@@k off!

Social source share

United Sound Of Soul Flyers have become a collectors item to some and we often get asked for more than one

We change the artists photos every event which is bi monthly..

Writting is a little small but any bigger and it would spoil the effect..

Few years ago got an email from the Dells manager asking for Copies of the flyer as the Dells photo had appeared on previous months flyer.

With regards to designer, used to use a conmpany in London for flyers (Zanzibar in Birmingham event) They recommended a designer that cost £50 every set of flyers + Printing cost, at the time it was a large event, so the extra cost was worth it, for a smaller event are you going to cover your cost ?

post-200-12557722398862_thumb.jpg

Edited by munchkin
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

saw some CREAM CRACKER flyers being used to soak up the piss when lifelines toilets overflowed some time back........now that WAS enterprising:good:

Social source share

United Sound Of Soul Flyers have become a collectors item to some and we often get asked for more than one

We change the artists photos every event which is bi monthly..

Writting is a little small but any bigger and it would spoil the effect..

Few years ago got an email from the Dells manager asking for Copies of the flyer as the Dells photo had appeared on previous months flyer.

With regards to designer, used to use a conmpany in London for flyers (Zanzibar in Birmingham event) They recommended a designer that cost £50 every set of flyers + Printing cost, at the time it was a large event, so the extra cost was worth it, for a smaller event are you going to cover your cost ?

Had hundreds of 'em,roll of 'em in me unused car ashtray not read any of 'em useless rubbish if you ax me. :thumbup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Dave.

To get your venue going yes go for it eye catcher a must, after that if its good they will return so the flyer thing is far less important mate ,unless its not a regular event.

Flyers get lost in a sea of flyers, dont put them on tables early they will get covered by hundreds morewhistling.gifshades.gif ,

When im out i will only ever pick one up if it catches my eyes and ive not noticed that venue before

Rob

Don't leave 'em on a table where they'll (as you say) probably never get seen under a sea of other flyers. As these cost time and money to produce they're no good in some club's bin or ruined to the point of not being re-usable. The solution we decided on some time ago is to personally put the flyers in people's hands as they enter the venue or are stood or sat around the place. But what do we know? If you consider the poor attendance at Barrow Hill in September- NOT A LOT! :thumbup:

But this is the 21st century-the internet is becoming as common now in households as TV, gas, electricity and water. We needed flyers in the past but are they now becoming obsolete?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

right i think i got the answers i was looking for , and of course the usual idiots talking bollox as always ....time to close it

Social source share