Who's this?

Guest Kolla

Guest Kolla

Ok folks, name this singer

kit.jpg

Who ever guesses right - the game passes over to them. (Keep any image posted up to under 20K.)

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Kolla

LOL - she defiantely doesn't look 'as' good these days but she's definatley alive and kicking. Clue: She was born in the mid 1930, her mum was afro-american and her father was from the Philipines.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Hehe - well that was a short game! Yep, born Umpeylia Marsema Balinton, she recorded under the nickname that Johnny Otis gave her in the late '50s - 'Sugar Pie' DeSanto.

Ok - 'guest's' turn now! [Mr Rimmer - was it you that forgot to sign in ? just a wild guess :) ]

Bit of trivia on SugarPie - she wrote the beautiful track "My Illusion" and recorded it on Soul Clock. It was later covered by label-mates The Whispers ... but i still prefer her version :)

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Haydn - was that who you were thinking off before ?

Chess was previously called the Aristocrat Recording Corporation i think. Doesn't really fit well on a label, does it.

Social source share

Yes thats it Kolla,

I was torn between Eartha Kitt and for some strange reason Barbara Randolph came into my head.

Leonard & Phil owned Aristocrat label and changed it to Chess in 1949, now that is a long time ago but it sure gives the label the edge on the RnB circuit( we don't want to go there again eh?)

Haydn

Social source share

Hehe - well that was a short game! Yep, born Umpeylia Marsema Balinton, she recorded under the nickname that Johnny Otis gave her in the late '50s - 'Sugar Pie' DeSanto.

Ok - 'guest's' turn now! [Mr Rimmer - was it you that forgot to sign in ? just a wild guess :) ]

Er, yes it was me that forgot to log in.

You lasted 24 minutes :-)

I'll have a look round for a suitably obscure photo to post up

Social source share

The label could be Constellation, so I'd guess at Holly Maxwell.

Spot on Dave,

One time stand in for Tina Turner.

The "not much money" clue referred to One Thin Dime

Cheers,

Tooley

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!