Unplayed Stock With A Sticky Residue

I haven't seen this phenomenon discussed here before, and I'd like to know your opinions about this.

Sometimes when I get records which are unplayed stock copies, they have this kind of greasy, sticky residue all over the vinyl (or styrene. I actually don't know if I have experienced this with styrene). It is on records that I get from different dealers so it's doesn't seem to be the records of one seller that has been exposed to this. I have been told that it is a residue that comes after years of not being played, but then again, many unplayed records doesn't have this.

I hope you know what I am talking about.

My questions in relation to this is:

Do you know what causes the records to get this sticky residue?

It is quite difficult to clean off. Do any of you have a good solution for cleaning this?

The dealers I get them from grade records with this residue MINT. Personally, I think they should be graded EX. How would you grade them and would you accept it if they were graded mint?

Edited by Preben
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes - Many companies use(d) a mold release agent to extract the vinyl from it's pressing mould. If the record has been stored for a long time in certain conditions and never played, then this is almost certainly what has caused this "sticky residue" you talk about.

A good clean will remove this no problem. I'm lucky enough to have a Loricraft cleaner for this;

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0903/aachapter48.htm

*Note that a large percentage of 12"s (including new ones) have this agent used on them, and therefore these records should always be cleaned before they are played, even if brand new.

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think it's the mould release compound that they put on to allow the metal stampers to separate from the vinyl at the pressing plant. If that's what is on your 45s apparently it's a real problem as once it dries it will affect play and create surface noise. I think it should have been removed at the plant or before first play because playing with it in makes it worse.

Social source share

Yeah, it's very common on Chicago 45s...we'd always called it "Chicago grease"....good to know there's a reason for the need to us gallons of isopropyl over the years..

I`ve allways called it "Chicago Grime" :lol: ,a good wash will sort it out :thumbsup:

Dave f............

Edited by Dave Fleming
Social source share

Guest Perception

If you do not have your stylus arm set very heavy, it can make the stylus ride to high in the groove. This causes the record to play faulty and can damage the record permantly!

I have had to keep lifting the stylus and cleaning it, till I get the grooves cleaned out, before I dare let the record play all the way through.

Social source share

If you do not have your stylus arm set very heavy, it can make the stylus ride to high in the groove. This causes the record to play faulty and can damage the record permantly!

I have had to keep lifting the stylus and cleaning it, till I get the grooves cleaned out, before I dare let the record play all the way through.

Just WASH the record before playing it, SolidSoul!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert