Tony Middleton - Return To Spanish Harlem, Jms Auction

Dean

Saw with interest John Manship has Tony Middleton & Bobby Matos - Return To Spanish Harlem (Speed ) on his auction. I was talking to Johnny Fingers at the last Attic night about this track, I was playing the other side "Already Satisfied" as Johnny asked about it.

Soulful Kinda Music website ( https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/tmiddleton.htm ) strangely doesn't list the flip side, listing as:

Tony Middleton & Bobby Matos

Speed 1016 - Return To Spanish Harlem / ? - ?

Couple of points

- Has Already Satisfied ever had much club interest. I like Return to Spanish Harlem for its quirky northern/latino feel but in my opinion Already Satisfied is the superior northern side, perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

- Are there copies without Already Satisfied on flip? Just curious about those question marks.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No, labels right way John. You ever heard Already Satisfied played out any time?

I used to play 'Already Satisfied' out and I have heard it played at Bidds (think it was Bidds) and some bloke played it last time I was at The Attic :thumbsup: and yes it is IMO the far better side, don't think I ever got round to playing 'Return...' out at all! Labels were right way round on my copy as well.

Social source share

Saw with interest John Manship has Tony Middleton & Bobby Matos - Return To Spanish Harlem (Speed ) on his auction. I was talking to Johnny Fingers at the last Attic night about this track, I was playing the other side "Already Satisfied" as Johnny asked about it.

Soulful Kinda Music website ( https://www.soulfulki.../tmiddleton.htm ) strangely doesn't list the flip side, listing as:

Couple of points

- Has Already Satisfied ever had much club interest. I like Return to Spanish Harlem for its quirky northern/latino feel but in my opinion Already Satisfied is the superior northern side, perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

- Are there copies without Already Satisfied on flip? Just curious about those question marks.

Dean

I have never seen a promo copy of this or any Speed 45.

'Return ...' was a fairly big record for on both the mod and acid jazz scenes, and 'Satisfied' has been getting plays on the mod scene and in Europe in recent years. I comped it on the BGP Release from earlier this year 'The Soul Of Spanish Harlem'

https://acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7881

Dean

Social source share

Dean

I have never seen a promo copy of this or any Speed 45.

'Return ...' was a fairly big record for on both the mod and acid jazz scenes, and 'Satisfied' has been getting plays on the mod scene and in Europe in recent years. I comped it on the BGP Release from earlier this year 'The Soul Of Spanish Harlem'

https://acerecords.co...59&release=7881

Dean

Now that is interesting. I've just followed the link and purchased me one of those, pondered for a second over vinyl/CD and stuck with Vinylgood.gif

Looking forward to hearing that.

Not seen any promo either.

Thanks for the information Dean - nice break at work to browse and place an order, brightened the day up.

Dean

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone have a decent label scan of the A-side? This would be for a posting on Fania's new website (and possibly a later reproduction for Wax Poetics). All credits given, of course. PM or email soulsides AT gmail.com.

Thanks!

Social source share

Soulful Kinda Music website ( https://www.soulfulki.../tmiddleton.htm ) strangely doesn't list the flip side, listing as:

Couple of points

The question marks are there because I didn't know what the flip side was. I do now, and one of the question marks will have magically disappeared in about ten minutes :thumbup:

You don't happen to know what year it was released as well do you ?

Social source share

The question marks are there because I didn't know what the flip side was. I do now, and one of the question marks will have magically disappeared in about ten minutes thumbup.gif

You don't happen to know what year it was released as well do you ?

i think it was 1969, and if dean rudland reads this can i just say what a fabulous album Soul of spanish harlem is, got myself a viynal copy last week and cant stop playing it...just superbthumbup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!