Len Jewell & Groovers

Guest Perception

Guest Perception

"Betting On Love" - Len Jewel and "I'm A Bashful Guy" The Groovers both came out on Teri De, and were picked up for bigger distribution by Fontana and Minit respectively.

The Teri De copies seem very scarce. I would have thought for them to pick up enough interest for the bigger labels, there would be a lot more copies about on Teri De!

I can understand the other Teri De releases being rare, but why these two?

Where did all the local Teri De copies go?

Edited by Perception
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"Betting On Love" - Len Jewel and "I'm A Bashful Guy" The Groovers both came out on Teri De, and were picked up for bigger distribution by Fontana and Minit respectively.

The Teri De copies seem very scarce. I would have thought for them to pick up enough interest for the bigger labels, there would be a lot more copies about on Teri De!

Could be likely that Teri De cut a deal with Fontana and Minit to dispose of the local label release stock within the lease arrangement to push all 45 sales through the major labels......g.gif

Social source share

Leonard Jewell Smith's "Teri-De" label (coined from his daughter Terri Dee) was a vehicle for his own Delanieur (named after his Daughter Terri Dee and wife Elaine) written and published product based in the Compton area of L.A, California.

He provided lyrical, musical and production not to mention vocals as a member of the Groovers and Penetrations (leased to local Highland records) as was product to Imperial R&B subsiduary Minit, Fontana as well as independant labels T.B.F, Drandell and Pzazz.

Limited innitial pressses on Teri-De were used mainly for Demonstration and were probably withdrawn for contractual reasons on signing for the major label handling.

Thrift and second hand vinyl shops on West Pico saw a few copies surface in the 70's .

Social source share

at the end of the day len jewell had a lot of contacts. he owned his material on teri de and maybe at meetings with execs from bigger labels managed to convince one or two to issue his 45`s, irrelavent on how they sold on his own label. if it were any of us listening to his records we wouldnt take much sweet talking would we.

dave

Social source share

Guest Perception

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like he did not make very copies on Teri-de and relied more on getting a deal with a bigger label.

Or a terrible thought, when he got a deal with a bigger label, got all his teri de copies and mashed them up in his waste bin!!

Social source share

Some times the small label copies were used with major labels stuck

over the top until they were officialy pressed, that is why some records

have the old numer AND new number on the run out, sometimes the old number would

be scratched out but not always, not saying it happened in this case but this was quite

common and would explain the rarity of some local label releases, always worth a look

at the run out on your records me thinkswicked.gif

Social source share

Some times the small label copies were used with major labels stuck

over the top until they were officialy pressed, that is why some records

have the old numer AND new number on the run out, sometimes the old number would

be scratched out but not always, not saying it happened in this case but this was quite

common and would explain the rarity of some local label releases, always worth a look

at the run out on your records me thinkswicked.gif

if the labels were stuck over the old ones, they would not go to the runout groove and scratch out each one and scratch in a new number. why would they waste their time doing that?

the reason the runout would have the old number scratched out and the new number scratched in would be if the new label bought the pressing plates and scratched out the number on the plates and scratched the new number in the plates. in that case they would press the record with entirely new labels but with the old plates. this is the case with some chess records for example where they bought the rights to some release (for example, the rerelease of amanda love on starville).

Social source share

if the labels were stuck over the old ones, they would not go to the runout groove and scratch out each one and scratch in a new number. why would they waste their time doing that?

the reason the runout would have the old number scratched out and the new number scratched in would be if the new label bought the pressing plates and scratched out the number on the plates and scratched the new number in the plates. in that case they would press the record with entirely new labels but with the old plates. this is the case with some chess records for example where they bought the rights to some release (for example, the rerelease of amanda love on starville).

good point, i stand corrected young sir, even old dogs learn new tricks:thumbup:

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On 23/10/2009 at 21:46, CliftonHall1 said:

Leonard Jewell Smith's "Teri-De" label (coined from his daughter Terri Dee) was a vehicle for his own Delanieur (named after his Daughter Terri Dee and wife Elaine) written and published product based in the Compton area of L.A, California.

He provided lyrical, musical and production not to mention vocals as a member of the Groovers and Penetrations (leased to local Highland records) as was product to Imperial R&B subsiduary Minit, Fontana as well as independant labels T.B.F, Drandell and Pzazz.

Limited innitial pressses on Teri-De were used mainly for Demonstration and were probably withdrawn for contractual reasons on signing for the major label handling.

Thrift and second hand vinyl shops on West Pico saw a few copies surface in the 70's .

I know this thread is old and wondered if this is Len's daughter Terri Dee

Del.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Clip
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!