Bridgewater Soul Night

Guest The Driffter

Guest The Driffter

What can i say about this soul night other than another great night for everyone who came a great mixture of djs who played a great set of music to cover for everyones taste ,i think Pete and kathy have got it right with this venue and look forwards to many more nights here [love to you both].

People from all over the country make it to these nights and i never hear anyone complain about Bridgwater soul nights,its that great atmosphere there, even I manage to get up and dance !!!!.

Great night Pete and Kathy from The Driffter and his mates [Jeff and Carys]

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulfulrosa

What a Fab nite @ BRIDGEWATER.

All THE SETS WERE GOOD and the DJs got it so right. :g:

Thankyou Pete and Cathy for putting on such a FAB nite, great company and lots of different sounds which kept the FLOOR FILLED all night long!!

It is ALWAYS worth the almost 2 hour drive for us and nice to see friends from Sussex who really enjoyed themselves.. and they bought some locals with them who are definately going to be regulars from now on!!

Love you both Pete and Cathy!!good.gif

xxx

Afternoon all

What great evening we had last night.Massive thank you to Pete and Cathy for the hospitality before.

Nice to aquaint ourselves with everyone at theirs before going on to venue.

Sean Chapman was on getting the dancers up as soon as they were coming in.Also nice to meet Nick and Hannah.

As per Mr Godfrey's request here's my playlists.

8.30 - 900

James Carr - A Losing Game - Goldwax

Mighty Marvelows - Talkin Bout Ya -ABC

The Decisions - I Can't Forget About You - Sussex

Dorothy Berry - Shindig City - Planetary

Jo Armstead - I Feel An Urge Coming On - Giant

Artistics - Hope We Have - Brunswick

The Astors - In The Twilight Zone - Stax

The Holidays - Watch Out Girl - Golden World

Bettye Swann - Lonely Love - Money

Ernie & Ed - Indication - JayBoy

Jimmy Hughes - It Ain't What You've Got - Alantic

Chris Morgan - Who Am I - Bell

Jimmy Robbins - I Can't Please You

2nd spot 10.00 - 10.45

Johnny Sayles - I Can't Enough - St Lawrence

Al Wilson - Help Me - Wand

Judy Clay - You Busted My Mind - Scepter

Earl Grant - Hide Nor Hair - Decca

Detroit Soul - All Of My Life - Music Town

Constellations - I Didn't Know How To - Gemini Star

Exportation - I Want You - Vir-Ro

Lou Edwards - Talkin Bout Poor Folks - Columbia

Fantastic Four - Can't Stop Looking For My Baby - Ric Tic

Edwin Starr - Backstreet - Ric Tic

Darrell Banks - Angel Baby - Atlantic UK

Eddie Holman - Eddie's My Name - Parkway

Billy Davis - Stanky (Get Funky) - Cobblestone

Fred Hughes - Baby Boy - Brunswick

Four Pro's - Just Another Girl - Carla

Vonettes - Touch My Heart - Cobblestone

Jeanette Williams - Something's Got A Hold On Me - Back Beat

Once again thanks for the invite to come down and dj.Got to mention good to see the Russians from Bournemouth there as well. finger002.gif

Dave and Viv.

quick post [ longer later ] ,

extremely chuffed with the turnout last night

and the input from all the d-j's

and the buzz and the atmosphere that was right from the start and lasted all the way thro' til just after 1-00 when we pulled the plug

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou

pete lyster

Guest Glawster

Loved every minute! Musically and socially a brilliant night! Lots of usual suspects to have a natter too whilst keeping an ear on the choons!

Great sets from all DJs,dipping in and out of stormers,ballads,modern(ish),latin,Motown and in yer face Northern.

Roll on events here next year,looking at folks travelling from the Gloucester/Chelt area I think a minibus could be the way forward.

Cheers to Pete and Cathy.

big thanx to pete,cath and all involved...me and nicci had agreat time as always...musically even better than normal all the djs played top sets, nice to hear some quality cheapies alongside the big ticket items too and the oldies werent the same old either ....great atmosphere ...see you next year !

dean

Pete, had a great night and loved the variations in the tunes. Great to go to a venue where such a wide variety of tunes was played. Just my cup of tea. thumbsup.gif Nice catching up with lots of people from all over, both new and old facesshades.gif . Looking forward to March next year and with the line up you have then.thumbup.gif

Guest Angela Lawrence

Another great "Soul Nights @ Bridgwater" party!

All 4 DJ's played a great spectrum of music - lots of current rarities, loads of unknowns and the oldies were not the same old same old.

So nice to catch up with good friends and the Welsh crowd who are always up for a good time.

Many thanks to Pete & Cathy for their fantastic hospitality.

Guest matt tees

My first visit to Bridgewater for over 3 years,now held at the North Petherton Rugby Club, a very small, low ceiling and intimate and atmospheric Room. Still organised by Pete and Kathy Lyster, two of the most respected and nicest people on the UK soul scene. They always hold a little get together beforehand for DJs and friends with one of two drinks on offer or in Ginger's case a barrel full!

I got the evening off with an early spot, this was followed by an excellent 1st set by Bournemouth''s Dave Morris, the ever excellent Nick Hackett (one of my favourite DJ's) played the 1st of his two sets and promoter Pete Lyster followed. The placed was packed to the rafters with over 120 enjoying a superb night of such diversity. I have travelled to many of the soul clubs over the years and so many clubs are all the same, so it is a pleasant surprise that clubs like Bridgewater allow the DJs to have a free reign, many dancers in the clubs in the north of the UK, abandon the dance-floor folding their arms because they do not recognise all the records, however, this does not happen at Bridgewater and the floor was full all evening to all of the DJs who played Rare, and well known and all styles of soul. Too be honest, having probably visiting more soul clubs than most over the last 30 years, and probably putting more miles on the clock as well, I have always held the opinion that there is more soul in the south than the north. The vast majority of northern soulers from the north only have to travel up to an hour, because everything is on their door step, whereas in the south the southern soulers have to travel so much further and therefore visit many different clubs and hear different DJ sets. I am not saying that the clubs are better or worse just the fact that the southern crowd are prepared to get off their arses and sample clubs both in the north and south!!! Ramble over and back to Bridgewater. A massive well done to Pete and Kathy for their music policy, because this event is held only 3 times a year, it is always eagerly looked forward too!! I cannot recommend this event enough Quality!!!

Edited by matt tees
Guest andrew bin

I'd like to echo all the above comments , Bridgewater is always a top night and last Saturday was no exception, a great mix of guest dj's playing the usual quality stuff complimented by the effervescent resident Pete Lyster, (i would be more than happy listening to just Pete play all night)thumbsup.gif really good to see the place packed well done Pete and Cathy you deserve it roll on the next one thumbup.gif (is there going to be a doctor in the house)biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest souldjer 1

you got it so right,the music and the atmosphere.id travell 800 miles for the dj line up pete can get.

djs dont "dumb down" at pete n caths.thanks you guys.

deano n yvette.