***torch Reunion Yesterday***

boxing.gifOh yes indeed, what a great day, with an enphisis on Day!.good.gif

1st should I say hi! to the 4 people who mistook myself for Allen Day, one of them looked a bit like the late Ranking John Peel?king.gif Just because I ware my hat to the side & walk with a limp, in truth means I am well hung, not a pimp? I would like to thank all those who organised and worked so hard to make it happen with atmosphere, Paul well done mate, whoever my ticket's come from? I am indebted to you for making this the right event of my year, which in all aspects has been s**t once again this was the actions of D Modernistic FAITH KEEPING OF, RIGHT ON!.good.gif

2nd to all the DJ,s.. Dave (I,am rushed of my feet) Everson, Dave's enthusiasm is total exuberance, I did not here my favourite D E quote "roll back the carpets" but for a little bloke you deliver a big set, however Dave take it easy man?shades.gif THE BLUE MAX Wolves finest and a quality set... Kev well again quality and the tunes that were played shows why this reunion was a success good.gif Nice One** BARMY BARRY unforgettable verging on cabaretgood.gif More good stuff**

no.gif But whoever DJ-ed the ace was of course the Torch, Junction up the, Bletsoe and so on, king.gif A true King-Spinner of Rare Soul! smile.gifI have not seen him in years, (and indeed I was informed all the caps had done his loaf in?) Well I can categorically state with out offending any one no.gifAs a King-Spinner! all Top DJ,s will be 2nd Rate to this man, who along with others, but in particular to Allen, I feel that he should be the 1st Person to be inaugurated into THE UK RARE SOUL. HALL OF FAME, Which is long overdue because of the partisan division on the Rare Soul Scene no.gif And even Simon Soussan cant get in before this Legendthumbup.gif I have been around the soul scene for many years now, and of course we are all biased to certain characters of the scene, I make no attempts to deny that to me Mick Smith has been an inspiration on me. not because he is any better than myself, it,s because he has a sage quality, Adey Croasdell, when I think back that I betrayed his trust because of Drugs? PEP like Mick a main inspiration on so many,(when I first heard him DJ I could not understand a bloody word he said? but that did him more good for me, as he epitomized a Northern Soul DJ)innocent.gif And so on, back to the KING-SPINNER he is well and truly on form, and I strongly suggest to all pro-motors including 100 Club goers and to Day book the man and do it nowthumbsup.gif I will honestly say sometimes the smallest gestures bring the strongest memoriesrolleyes.gif The Torch 2009 will for me always remembered for it,s Togetherness, Free tickets? great people, good DJing, and Allen Day screaming across a hot sweaty dance floor as the opening bars of Archie Bell-"Here I Go Again" Allen Day Stating this is for you DAVE I never Forget!good.gif No Allen you don't***

3rd OK so I had a good night (understatement of the year) But there was something missing and it,s a BIG miss, the main man Kieth Minshull not being there? well all I can say is Directly at / or to Keith, the Torch is you and when or if I make the next one I expect you out of all the DJ to be there to play me records, not fancying it of in a GIRL / BIG GIRLS blouse manner, stop the Crap and do the right thing, if you cant be arsed no wonder Keele Folded? All Torch events should in my opinion have you their? the same goes for all I in Keith's Gang, I have always respected you and admired the fact it,s hard? but I am harder next time be a good Lad and Turn up! this also goes for Ian Lavinie* why Ian did you cancel, is it because back in the day Tony Jebb & Allen Day were championed, I look forward to hearing you DJ thumbsup.gif So again why agree to something you cant commit to? I am sorry to say but It,s poor politics so you both can lay claim as real true DJ,s Stand up and be accountable for your petty actionsshhh.gif Both of you let me down, act like kids and you get treated like kids (next time a belt round the lug hole will suffice) wicked.gif "Here I Go Again", apart from that thanks to all who were there, an excellent Night, Shame Mick Missed it? but that's another issue? good.gif And to conclude Dave Everson rare Torch Poster (which he did not sign) But Allen Days comments are a worthy ending "Best wishes to all who have made our scene" ph34r.gif DAVE(SUITED & BOOTED WITH HAT AND LARDERING STICK) KIL.

Edited by dthedrug
  • Replies 149
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

boxing.gifOh yes indeed, what a great day, with an enphisis on Day!.good.gif

1st should I say hi! to the 4 people who mistook myself for Allen Day, one of them looked a bit like the late Ranking John Peel?king.gif Just because I ware my hat to the side & walk with a limp, in truth means I am well hung, not a pimp? I would like to thank all those who organised and worked so hard to make it happen with atmosphere, Paul well done mate, whoever my ticket's come from? I am indebted to you for making this the right event of my year, which in all aspects has been s**t once again this was the actions of D Modernistic FAITH KEEPING OF, RIGHT ON!.good.gif

2nd to all the DJ,s.. Dave (I,am rushed of my feet) Everson, Dave's enthusiasm is total exuberance, I did not here my favourite D E quote "roll back the carpets" but for a little bloke you deliver a big set, however Dave take it easy man?shades.gif THE BLUE MAX Wolves finest and a quality set... Kev well again quality and the tunes that were played shows why this reunion was a success good.gif Nice One** BARMY BARRY unforgettable verging on cabaretgood.gif More good stuff**

no.gif But whoever DJ-ed the ace was of course the Torch, Junction up the, Bletsoe and so on, king.gif A true King-Spinner of Rare Soul! smile.gifI have not seen him in years, (and indeed I was informed all the caps had done his loaf in?) Well I can categorically state with out offending any one no.gifAs a King-Spinner! all Top DJ,s will be 2nd Rate to this man, who along with others, but in particular to Allen, I feel that he should be the 1st Person to be inaugurated into THE UK RARE SOUL. HALL OF FAME, Which is long overdue because of the partisan division on the Rare Soul Scene no.gif And even Simon Soussan cant get in before this Legendthumbup.gif I have been around the soul scene for many years now, and of course we are all biased to certain characters of the scene, I make no attempts to deny that to me Mick Smith has been an inspiration on me. not because he is any better than myself, it,s because he has a sage quality, Adey Croasdell, when I think back that I betrayed his trust because of Drugs? PEP like Mick a main inspiration on so many,(when I first heard him DJ I could not understand a bloody word he said? but that did him more good for me, as he epitomized a Northern Soul DJ)innocent.gif And so on, back to the KING-SPINNER he is well and truly on form, and I strongly suggest to all pro-motors including 100 Club goers and to Day book the man and do it nowthumbsup.gif I will honestly say sometimes the smallest gestures bring the strongest memoriesrolleyes.gif The Torch 2009 will for me always remembered for it,s Togetherness, Free tickets? great people, good DJing, and Allen Day screaming across a hot sweaty dance floor as the opening bars of Archie Bell-"Here I Go Again" Allen Day Stating this is for you DAVE I never Forget!good.gif No Allen you don't***

3rd OK so I had a good night (understatement of the year) But there was something missing and it,s a BIG miss, the main man Kieth Minshull not being there? well all I can say is Directly at / or to Keith, the Torch is you and when or if I make the next one I expect you out of all the DJ to be there to play me records, not fancying it of in a GIRL / BIG GIRLS blouse manner, stop the Crap and do the right thing, if you cant be arsed no wonder Keele Folded? All Torch events should in my opinion have you their? the same goes for all I in Keith's Gang, I have always respected you and admired the fact it,s hard? but I am harder next time be a good Lad and Turn up! this also goes for Ian Lavinie* why Ian did you cancel, is it because back in the day Tony Jebb & Allen Day were championed, I look forward to hearing you DJ thumbsup.gif So again why agree to something you cant commit to? I am sorry to say but It,s poor politics so you both can lay claim as real true DJ,s Stand up and be accountable for your petty actionsshhh.gif Both of you let me down, act like kids and you get treated like kids (next time a belt round the lug hole will suffice) wicked.gif "Here I Go Again", apart from that thanks to all who were there, an excellent Night, Shame Mick Missed it? but that's another issue? good.gif And to conclude Dave Everson rare Torch Poster (which he did not sign) But Allen Days comments are a worthy ending "Best wishes to all who have made our scene" ph34r.gif DAVE(SUITED & BOOTED WITH HAT AND LARDERING STICK) KIL.

Fantastic Dave, the free ticket was a gift to someone who's not had the best of years and would appreciate the ethos of what the day was all about, it was about those that made the Torch what it became. As for Alan Day I spoke to him before he left and he was well chuffed at the way the he had been greeted and allowed to have a go behind the decks.

From a personal perspective that was guite possibly the greatest Northern Soul gig i havae ever attended.

As for Ian Levine, lets put this one to bed he was asked NOT to attend, he did not cancel.

As for Keith he prefered not to become involved

You take care mate..

PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly

The whole day brought back so many memories. Parked up behind the Ryan Hall and walked down through the underpass towards the Sneyd Arms. My god the same yellow haired blokes wobbling from side to side were still there in the door way of the Sneyd. Up past the Arms and down the cobbled alley, which has not changed one bit, and into Hose Street. There the faithful were gathering. The scooters the plaque. Up in a bedroom window two young children looked down onto crowd of old farts all with big smiles in meeting old friends and in anticipation of the event to come. Right off to the in door market for oatcake and cheese. Big mug of tea and every two minutes a voice yelled out Oatcake! Cheese! and Bacon! That's mine duck!

Then up into the most perfect room for this event Paul and his team just did us all so proud. The atmosphere was just like the it was back in the day. Everyone wanting to talk, share experiences and talk music. This is what it was all about the people, the people, the people. It sent my heart in a flutter (No joke I had to leave early) but a beta bloker got me right then my long suffering wife drove me home.

Thanks again to the team for such a BRILLIANT DAY. Hey Nige Im' Standing so dont "Cry your eyes out"laugh.gif

Pat Wallace

Edited by Pat Wallace

Well all i can say is that it was worth the 8 month wait! We arrived around 7 to a VERY hot and busy room (who left the heating on whistling.gif ?). we found a place at stage front, didnt even have time to put down bags before classic , quality tune after another came thundering out of the system. If Bobby Garrett-my little girl does'nt get the circulation going then nothing will! I will say that if it hadnt been so hot, we would have probably worn the floor boards out :thumbsup:

The reason we wanted tickets so badly for this event was for one reason and one reason only.....THE MUSIC!! . some of us were far too young to remember first time around, but we all knew what influence a small dancehall on Hose St would have on the UK soul scene in years to come. lets just say we were'nt disappointed. classic after classic, some we havent heard for years, some we'd even forgotten about and some 'standards'. The Torch to me made the scene what it is today. They broke so many records that stand the test of time today. where else could you hear the fabulous 'thankyou baby for loving me' by the Soul Brothers six, then an early 70's releases like 'this is the house' by First Choice? not one single overplayed or bad record all night!

Middle aged folk still cutting it on the floor with huge grins. friendly faces, lots of camera flashes, lots of dancing. its a night we'll not forget in a hurry. The sight of Alan Day moving around that stage like an excited schoolboy was a joy to see. we left at midnight to the sounds of Nolan chance and busy dancefloor

thanks to all involved.... if by any chance you are going to organise another, the first two tickets are sold!!

Guest proudlove

Top Top night-----highlights for me?

Atmosphere

Alan Day and Kev Roberts double decking

Frank Kaplonek and Chrissy

Julie(Phil Morgans sister)with Phils album (Memorabilia like youve never seen)and being presented with a bouquet and just holding it togrether on stage

The Crewe lads

Atmosphere

Jez Jones running about all night and then realising he could relax and enjoy the night

the music

Dave Evison being----------well-------the Dave we all know and love

Did I mention the Atmosphere

The organisation was superb,Thanks to-----the 3 muskateers------------Paul Donnelly,Malc Burton and Jez

and totally agree with d's comment about Alan Day----------thats how it should be done boys and girls.

Congratulations and well done all

Steve and Carole

Yes, thankyou Paul and your co oganisers could'nt stop til the end but i and Pete G really had a great tme. Bumping into the likes of the ever friendly Max always a darling for he to introduce me to Barmy Barry a name ive always been aware of but never though i would ever meet.To bump into (yes i did recognise him imm) my first hero in music the great ALAN DAY (hav'nt seen him for about 10yrs) to see Neil Allen, Bob Banks, Simon, the ever darlings Ian Cunny and Jane,Dave Fergy,the old Shropshire lads, my old dearest friend Swish the i still look quite young Dave Evison still bounding around as if Eddie Parker was being played for the first time,for friends i met new Widnes/Congleton etc etc i thank you PAUL WHAT GREAT DAY AND AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH regards Gilly

Guest Dave Turner

I'm shite at doing write ups so for what its worth I'd just like to say ----------

Well, what can I say without s st st sttuttering. All I can do is endorse everything said above. Absolutely brillant day from the meet up at Hose St with the faces and the scoots until kicking out time.

Top sound after top sound all day long and not a duff track among 'em. Ok we can all hear these sounds at oldies nights, at home or wherever but there is nothing like hearing them thundering out whilst being surrounded by folks who of an older age group heard them all first time around, what the sounds/records meant way back then and getting the buzz of just reliving that experience of a time when a vast majority of these sounds just took the top of yer f'kin head off.

A delight to see Dave Evison just oozing enthusiasm and sheer joy. Alan Day just so obviously overjoyed at being back up on the stage. In fact everyone jocking contributed greatly to the fantastic atmosphere of the event. The stories all these guys could tell, a sheer joy just talking to these guys who along with the punters from way back then made the scene what it was and aren't up their own arses with me me me and how great am I.

Barmy Barry was a delight and added something a little different to the day. Hearing guys like this spin choons just gave us who weren't there in those very early days before the scene became what it was (and most of us weren't) a glimpse of what led up to it all from those mid-sixties years to what it became in the very late sixties/early seventies.

The heat didn't bother me personally but was a bit pp pp pp pissed off I had to take me brown shopkeepers smock off. I only danced occassionally instead of giving it full bore so didn't get too sweaty. Main reason was my lower back was giving me some gip and found myself with other older gits just outside on the landing where I could still hear the choons, see what was going on and easily chat whilst being able to lean against the wall or bannister rail. Fun though watching everone else like myself with specs coming up the stairs and seeing their specs steam up as soon as they hit the heat barrier laugh.gif

Shame not to see and hear Tony Dellar who for health reasons at last minute couldn't make it, I'm sure he'd have loved it and will be gutted. Great to put faces to names that until now have been just a name on boards like this or a name that one occassionlly hears banded about.

Absolutely top marks to Paul, Malc and Jez (and anyone else) for putting this all together which from a punters view seemed to run smooth and faultless, but I know there was much hard work and fooking about getting it to be such a success.

To all involved be they organisers, jocks or paying punters --- TOP GG GG GG GEEZERS thumbup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Guest proudlove

Top Top night-----highlights for me?

Atmosphere

Alan Day and Kev Roberts double decking

Frank Kaplonek and Chrissy

Julie(Phil Morgans sister)with Phils album (Memorabilia like youve never seen)and being presented with a bouquet and just holding it togrether on stage

The Crewe lads

Atmosphere

Jez Jones running about all night and then realising he could relax and enjoy the night

the music

Dave Evison being----------well-------the Dave we all know and love

Did I mention the Atmosphere

The organisation was superb,Thanks to-----the 3 muskateers------------Paul Donnelly,Malc Burton and Jez

and totally agree with d's comment about Alan Day----------thats how it should be done boys and girls.

Congratulations and well done all

Steve and Carole

And SWISH---------long time no see -----get that book finished pal!

Guest Dave Turner

And SWISH---------long time no see -----get that book finished pal!

No wishing to turn the thread into about Swish's book but -----

Absolutely!

I feel that really is gonna be THE book to read.

More interesting than Donnelly's two books about Peterborough FC anyway laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner

I'm shite at doing write ups so for what its worth I'd just like to say ----------

Well, what can I say without s st st sttuttering. All I can do is endorse everything said above. Absolutely brillant day from the meet up at Hose St with the faces and the scoots until kicking out time.

Top sound after top sound all day long and not a duff track among 'em. Ok we can all hear these sounds at oldies nights, at home or wherever but there is nothing like hearing them thundering out whilst being surrounded by folks who of an older age group heard them all first time around, what the sounds/records meant way back then and getting the buzz of just reliving that experience of a time when a vast majority of these sounds just took the top of yer f'kin head off.

A delight to see Dave Evison just oozing enthusiasm and sheer joy. Alan Day just so obviously overjoyed at being back up on the stage. In fact everyone jocking contributed greatly to the fantastic atmosphere of the event. The stories all these guys could tell, a sheer joy just talking to these guys who along with the punters from way back then made the scene what it was and aren't up their own arses with me me me and how great am I.

Barmy Barry was a delight and added something a little different to the day. Hearing guys like this spin choons just gave us who weren't there in those very early days before the scene became what it was (and most of us weren't) a glimpse of what led up to it all from those mid-sixties years to what it became in the very late sixties/early seventies.

The heat didn't bother me personally but was a bit pp pp pp pissed off I had to take me brown shopkeepers smock off. I only danced occassionally instead of giving it full bore so didn't get too sweaty. Main reason was my lower back was giving me some gip and found myself with other older gits just outside on the landing where I could still hear the choons, see what was going on and easily chat whilst being able to lean against the wall or bannister rail. Fun though watching everone else like myself with specs coming up the stairs and seeing their specs steam up as soon as they hit the heat barrier laugh.gif

Shame not to see and hear Tony Dellar who for health reasons at last minute couldn't make it, I'm sure he'd have loved it and will be gutted. Great to put faces to names that until now have been just a name on boards like this or a name that one occassionlly hears banded about.

Absolutely top marks to Paul, Malc and Jez (and anyone else) for putting this all together which from a punters view seemed to run smooth and faultless, but I know there was much hard work and fooking about getting it to be such a success.

To all involved be they organisers, jocks or paying punters --- TOP GG GG GG GEEZERS thumbup.gif

I would like convey my sincerest thanks to , and appreciation of everyone who were involved and all those who attended yesterday .

It may be an over used phrase , but without you it would not have happened , but more so making it the success it was .

We knew it would be a hard task to recreate the magic and atmosphere of The Torch , but I feel we got as near as we could and was possible , judging by the reception the day and night had , and by the posts above .

From the meet up in Hose Street to the last record played , the day successfully helped me confirm my decision " to go out in style " , bringing the curtain down on both my promoting and DJing endevours .

One record that summed up the day ? " Every Beat Of My Heart " :g: .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Guest julie s

well what can anyone add to those comments above? for me it as one of the best nights of my life meeting all those friendly people listening to some absolute cracking tunes i thought the meet up at the plaque was awsome and when the scooters arrived i had a lump in my throat as big as an apple. what a fitting tribute to paul jez &malc to see all those people turn out and have a fantastic day you should be very proud of yourselvesthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif lastly i would like to thank paul.jez &malc for the very kind invertation and for letting me have an insite to what my brother raved about all those years ago and yes i fully understand now what all the fuss woz about i just wished that he could have been hear to witness that day thank-you once again from the bottom of my hart and thank-you for the beautiful flowers xxxxxxxxx

well what can anyone add to those comments above? for me it as one of the best nights of my life meeting all those friendly people listening to some absolute cracking tunes i thought the meet up at the plaque was awsome and when the scooters arrived i had a lump in my throat as big as an apple. what a fitting tribute to paul jez &malc to see all those people turn out and have a fantastic day you should be very proud of yourselvesthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif lastly i would like to thank paul.jez &malc for the very kind invertation and for letting me have an insite to what my brother raved about all those years ago and yes i fully understand now what all the fuss woz about i just wished that he could have been hear to witness that day thank-you once again from the bottom of my hart and thank-you for the beautiful flowers xxxxxxxxx

Oh Julie . that was such a lovely post I bet those few words made it all the more worth while for the lads that put it together.

Can I just add it was great to see Martin Ellis's lad up there , to me last night just couldn't be recreated again it was magical and those that didn't make it missed out on a historic event in this years calendar.

Can also mention it was lovely to see the little lady on the stage introduced as the lady that used to be behind the bar at the torch !

Even the walls in the toilets were crying !..... Rivers of condensation

Guest yorks old boys

just returnd home what a brilliant day yesterday this was the best put together and organised event i have attended, me and the lady wife enjoyed every minute from start to finish it was good to see the dance floor filled from start to finishthumbup.gif some fantastic sounds kept me on the dance floor all day the backdrop to the boogaloo party just about killed me off.thumbsup.gifgood.gif big thank you to every one involved and thanks for having usthumbup.gif must do another one ha ha from kenny caroline and best mate alison

What a brilliant weekend from getting lost driving around Hanley trying to find our Hotel then a great taxi ride into Tunstall with the Indian taxi driver giving us a guided tour of all the sites around Hanley, Burslem ect ect top man !!!

Arrived at Hose St around 12-30 hardly anyone there so off to the Sneyd arms met with Dave Fergy & Co quick drink then along with a dozen set off round the corner to find Hose st packed out met friends from way back not seen in years , photo shoot then off for a butty in the diner around the corner..

We got to Ryan Hall at 2-10 blimey plenty soulies in and it had only just opened the music all day / night was great to be truthful even tho i have all the Torch

45,s i had forgotten how good some of them are all the DJ,s where excellent had a chat with Barmy Barry the original Torch dj from the 60,s found him to be a great guy with a great sense of humour but when he was DJ,in he had me in stiches a laugh a minute some of his comments where classics ie they presented him with a print of the Torch he said brilliant i can put it up in the bog it will give me something to look at when im havin a shite or when he introduced the barmaid from downstairs at the Torch he said you where a very attractive woman i must have had you along with the others against the wallinnocent.gif Allan Day & Tony Jebb where my fav dj,s back in 72 /73 Allan came on and it was amazing he still had the aura the brilliant showmanship he had back in the day mumblin on dancin around the stage ect full of soul full of feelin for this amazing music yip Al Day was a icon in 72 and he aint lost any of the feelin !!!!

Man o Man was it hot in there sweat was drippin of everyone just like 72 at The Major Lance live recording session at the Torch

To sum up the day / nite it was great see,in everyone havin a brilliant time Julian Bentley mi owd mate had a few thousand beers

think he bought one himselflaugh.gif Kev Roberts who did a great job keeping the event movin my buddy Gilly , Dave Fergy & Co the awesome Nogger so much soul and one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet Kev Fox & Carol who travelled down with myself n Jane and all my friends thanks for a great time !

One thing that really stands out from my days at the Torch in 72/73 is all the people i met way back then many of them have become very good friends and but for the TORCH i would never have met them......

A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO PAUL DONNELLY....MALC BURTON...JEZ JONES FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL TIME AND MORE IMPORTANTLY

FOR RAISING SO MUCH MONEY FOR CHARITY AND TO EVERYONE LAST NITE WHO SHOWED WHAT LOVING AND CARING PEOPLE WE ARE ON THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENEthumbsup.gif

Love, Peace & Happiness

Ian Cunliffe & Jane H

XXX XXX

post-906-12564770181296_thumb.jpg

Edited by IANCSLOFT

The whole day brought back so many memories. Parked up behind the Ryan Hall and walked down through the underpass towards the Sneyd Arms. My god the same yellow haired blokes wobbling from side to side were still there in the door way of the Sneyd. Up past the Arms and down the cobbled alley, which has not changed one bit, and into Hose Street. There the faithful were gathering. The scooters the plaque. Up in a bedroom window two young children looked down onto crowd of old farts all with big smiles in meeting old friends and in anticipation of the event to come. Right off to the in door market for oatcake and cheese. Big mug of tea and every two minutes a voice yelled out Oatcake! Cheese! and Bacon! That's mine duck!

Then up into the most perfect room for this event Paul and his team just did us all so proud. The atmosphere was just like the it was back in the day. Everyone wanting to talk, share experiences and talk music. This is what it was all about the people, the people, the people. It sent my heart in a flutter (No joke I had to leave early) but a beta bloker got me right then my long suffering wife drove me home.

Thanks again to the team for such a BRILLIANT DAY. Hey Nige Im' Standing so dont "Cry your eyes out"laugh.gif

Pat Wallace

SO SO RIGHT PAT!! CONGRATS TO PAUL, MALC & JEZ FOR PUTTING ON THE MOST PERFECT & FITTING TRIBUTE TO

THE!"TORCH" I FELT REALLY HONOURED TO BE ASKED TO BE PART OF THIS BRILLIANT DAY!! A DAY THAT BEGAN BY

PICKING UP THE ONE & ONLY "BARMY BARRY" YES THE 1ST DJ AT THE "GOLDEN TORCH" WAY BACK IN 1964!!

ON TO HOSE ST TO WITNESS A WHOLE ROW OF SCOOTERS PARKED UP IN FRONT OF THE "TORCH PLAQUE"

GREAT TO SEE SO MANY PEEPS PAYING THEIR RESPECTS TO THIS LENGENDARY CLUB!!

A QUICK DASH INTO A PUB TO CATCH A BIT OF THE WOLVES -VILLA GAME!! THEN ON TO THE VENUE WHICH

WAS VERY BUSY FROM THE OFF!! GREAT TO CATCH UP WITH OLD MATES, AND SO SO PLEASED TO HAVE A CHAT

WITH "ALAN DAY" WHO I HAD NOT SEEN FOR 30 ODD YEARS!!

LUMP IN THE THROAT TIME WHEN I TEAMED UP WITH "BARMY BARRY" AS HE OPENED UP WITH THE 1ST SOUL RECORD

EVER PLAYED AT THE "TORCH" WAY BACK IN 1964!! THE "TAMS" HEY GIRL DON'T BOTHER ME!!

AND THERE WE ARE 45 YRS ON A ROOM PACKED WITH FOLKS HAVING A GREAT DAY!! A FITTING TRIBUTE TO

THE"GOLDEN TORCH" WHEN'S THE NEXT ONE!!

MAX...

WOW!!! WHAT A NIGHT !!! PAUL MALCOLM N JEZ CONGRATULATUIONS BOYS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK thumbup.gif THE DJS N MUSIC WOW thumbup.gif THE SOULIES WOW thumbup.gif THE DANCING WOW thumbup.gif IM STILL A BIT TIPSY BUT MOST AND I WONT FORGET THIS NIGHT IN A HURRY!!! ON BEHALF OF MYSELF (VINNY) AND THE GOLDEN TORCH SCOOTER CLUB THE SOULIES OF STOKE (SOUL ON TRENT) THE SOULIES WHO TRAVELLED FROM ALL OVER

THANKS AGAIN, WOW WOW WOW thumbup.gif

Absolutely superb event ! ... full of all the right people,...classic sounds taking you way back when...an amazing atmosphere, full of smiling people and brimming with friends from far and wide.... we could not stay till the end but loved our time there.... we hope for another next year..... please say it will happen ! yes.gif

pete n' susan KTF

pictures on gallery, enjoy x good.gif

Can't really add much to what as already been said, great day & well done to everyone for putting the event on.

Been bought up in Stoke & into soul music since I was a 13 year old in the early 70's I sometimes forget how lucky I've been to be based in the Potteries with its soul pedigree, especially when I saw how far some folk had travelled yesterday.

At one stage I thought the weather was going to put pay to me & the other lads from the Stoke Outer Circle Scooter Club turning up in Hose Street at lunchtime but it didn't, also it was great to see afew of the Golden Torch scooter lads there as well.

Can we please have another Torch Reunion in 2010.

Cheers & KTF

Amo

:g:

Guest Mick Donnelly

an exhausting but thoroughly enjoyable day, top marks to the organisers, the music and the punters, and a special mention to the bar staff who worked their socks off to keep us all well lubricated.:g:

well done to all .. many thanks

There are certain things that will stay with you forever, and yesterday was one such day. From start to finish just a fantastic day, made very special personally by spending the whole day with my dear friend nogger, ALL the dj`s nailed it yesterday, floor FULL!!!! and just happy smiling people everywhere, i personally know how good a place is by the fact i had to clean the steam off my glasses four times everytime i went back in:laugh::laugh: and if any of the lads i was standing with from peterborough way as they waited for there bus at the end of the night, are reading, HOW FUNNY WAS THE NUNN:laugh::laugh::laugh: many many many thanks to all the organisers of this great day-HARRY thumbsup.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JUST LANDED BACK AT HOME ! STILL SMILING AFTER LAST NIGHT IT WAS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE INC ORGANISERS AND VINNY AND KEITH HANDILING DOOR DUTYS (nice badge !)

NICE TOO MEET THE FACE BOOK CREW, SSERS AND PUT NAMES TO FACES.

SPECIAL MENTIONS

HARRY AND DI

JILLY B & THE bnb gang

SARAH EVO FOR HELPING ME GET UP THEM STAIRS ONE POINT I THOUGHT I WAS CLIMING EVEREST IT TOOK ME SO LONG LOL

GARRY FOR TRYING TO GET ME DRUNK ON MAGNERS NICE TRY BUT FAILED.

I TOLD YOU I WAS SO UNLUCKY EVEN THE CIELING TILES FELL NEAR ME NOT ONE BUT TWICE

BLESS THE OLD DEAR IN THE BNB SENT ME HOME WITH SOME OATCAKES MUST THINK I NEED FEEDING UPwhistling

DONT SAY THIS OFTEN........KTF :thumbup:

Guest thenogger

Good day to everyone who attended the TORCH RE-UNION at HOSE STREET and then AT RYAN HALL. I have not been anywhere for 2 years due to ill health, but i attended yesterday because it was to be a one off day. What a fantastic day i had, meeting people i had'nt seen since 1975 that a good thing for me to experience. Even the people i spoke to they all said " WHAT A BRILLIANT DAY IT HAS BEEN ". The organision was faultless from start to finish, i'm an invalid and have been for 12 years but that is nobodies fault. The three lads who organised the day PAUL DONNERLY, MALC BURTON & JEZ JONES a very well done. I would like to thank PAUL, BOB BANKS and all the other guys that picked me up in my wheelchair and carried me up the stair and back down again at the end of my night. Thank you very much for making my day, the first one that i have had in two years.

REGARDS

thenogger

Good day to everyone who attended the TORCH RE-UNION at HOSE STREET and then AT RYAN HALL. I have not been anywhere for 2 years due to ill health, but i attended yesterday because it was to be a one off day. What a fantastic day i had, meeting people i had'nt seen since 1975 that a good thing for me to experience. Even the people i spoke to they all said " WHAT A BRILLIANT DAY IT HAS BEEN ". The organision was faultless from start to finish, i'm an invalid and have been for 12 years but that is nobodies fault. The three lads who organised the day PAUL DONNERLY, MALC BURTON & JEZ JONES a very well done. I would like to thank PAUL, BOB BANKS and all the other guys that picked me up in my wheelchair and carried me up the stair and back down again at the end of my night. Thank you very much for making my day, the first one that i have had in two years.

REGARDS

thenogger

========================================================================================================

It was a pleasure to spend time with ya mate i,m glad you had a great time

Lots o love

Ian & Jane

post-906-12564876227489_thumb.jpg

post-906-12564876227489_thumb.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JUST LANDED BACK AT HOME ! STILL SMILING AFTER LAST NIGHT IT WAS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE INC ORGANISERS AND VINNY AND KEITH HANDILING DOOR DUTYS (nice badge !)

NICE TOO MEET THE FACE BOOK CREW, SSERS AND PUT NAMES TO FACES.

SPECIAL MENTIONS

HARRY AND DI

JILLY B & THE bnb gang

SARAH EVO FOR HELPING ME GET UP THEM STAIRS ONE POINT I THOUGHT I WAS CLIMING EVEREST IT TOOK ME SO LONG LOL

GARRY FOR TRYING TO GET ME DRUNK ON MAGNERS NICE TRY BUT FAILED.

I TOLD YOU I WAS SO UNLUCKY EVEN THE CIELING TILES FELL NEAR ME NOT ONE BUT TWICE

BLESS THE OLD DEAR IN THE BNB SENT ME HOME WITH SOME OATCAKES MUST THINK I NEED FEEDING UPwhistling

DONT SAY THIS OFTEN........KTF :thumbup:

It was alright for u tim, u only nearly got hit with the roof, j did n me neck n shoulder is killing me today!!! It was a good do tho n that's not fair none of us got oat cakes to take home, is there somerhing u didn't tell us about at the bnb???? Hope to c u again soon. Cheryl

It was alright for u tim, u only nearly got hit with the roof, j did n me neck n shoulder is killing me today!!! It was a good do tho n that's not fair none of us got oat cakes to take home, is there somerhing u didn't tell us about at the bnb???? Hope to c u again soon. Cheryl

:rolleyes: WAS GONNA WALK TO THE OATCAKE SHOP BUT I COULDNT HOBBLE THAT FAR:laugh::laugh::laugh: SO AFTER YOUD GONE I VERBELLED THE OWNER:yes: AND TOO SHUT ME UP PACKED ME SOME, WILL DO FOR MY NEXT MEAL :excl:

Never seen so many members reading a 'Lookback' forum, that must have been a cracker!! :thumbup:

:boxing:As today passes by, to describe yesterday and how it has had a impact on myself, can be summed up by the word "exoneration" from now on I strongly believe yesterday success was in it transparency openness and genuineness. if it was left to me I would use yesterday event, to run a natural course, already the question is when is the next one, I would say to every one! whenever you want it as the Soul was in us all, age money and so on were unimportant**DTHEDRUG would say I attended the 1st Glastonbury in 1971 and that was sort of quantum, to use the phrase from a HESTER & WYLIE Tune vocals by Tommy Neal yesterday we went to a Happening 6ts stylee it was A GO_GO THING. finally we party ed and again it was in Tunstall? it was truly a fabulous event, next time we will see if Th vibes are strong enough so you have a slice of the Soul Pie and Every one likes PIE :ph34r: DAVE THE HIPPY but no toadstools?

thumbup.gifSUPERB thumbup.gif is no where near enough to describe yesterday and last night , it was top draw welldone Paul , Malc & Jez , it was perfect THANKYOU , music awesome , friends old and new just fab , this is something i will always remember so thanks to you all for that.

Big Hi to everyone i met you are all sooooooo lovely wub.gif thanks Roger & Dave for the most fun journey ever love ya both xxx

And last but by no-means least Mr Neil NOGGER Allen i have waited a long time to meet you , and yesterday gave me my chance , i love you to bits xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just wanted to add my fourpennorth!!! Absolutely shit hot day, cheers to Paul, Jez and Malc for organising it. Was originally on the reserve list then they got the extra 50 tickets and the rest is history! Hardly stopped dancing all day/night, to the point my legs and feet are knackered today and I've been walking round like a ninety year old arthritic old fart. Would like to say, it was an absolute honour being allowed to walk round and help with the raffle and get me mitts on that gorgeous picture, even if it was only for a little while! Even managed to boogie with it a bit too!

In all seriousness tho' this was a fantastic event, put together by fantastic people, hosted by fantastic DJ's and attended by fantastic soulful people. As for Keith Minshull and Ian Levine not being there, it was their loss not ours! It was lovely to meet Nogger and see him enjoying the day. I could see if he could've got out of that chair he'd have been right in the middle with us dancing like his life depended on it!

Brilliant to see the Outer Circle and Golden Torch scooter clubs there too. Cheers guys, it was brilliant to see the scooters.

Nige Brown with his Diskacette - if you ever want to find a loving home for it, I would be happy to help (LOL)

Dave Evison running round like a maniac with an enormous grin

Allen Day - what a man, and I got a kiss - and he signed that picture!

Kev Roberts, reading out the messages and being the true professional he is

Barmy Barry with his funny banter and fabulous choons, made my friend's night as it reminded her of being ten and sneakin' in on a monday night when she wasn't really old enough

Paul Donnelly - what can I say? Really really lovely guy

Jez Jones with his black gloves etc.

the golden torch scooter boy who'd ripped his trousers at the end

gerry from cambridge with his mallett shirt and then who used to go the little soul do's I went to as a teenager in cambridge

the lovely couple from Warrington who were sat near us

John & Joe - brill dancers and made me laugh sooooooooo much

The girls in the skirts spinning

Thank you so much for a really really reallly REALLLY brilliant day. One that will rank in my memory as one of the best soul events i've ever been to

Well, what can I add to what has already been said.

The obligatory thank you to Paul, Malc and Jez for putting on an excellent Re-Union, especially to Paul for keeping us up to date with his bulletins for months on what was happening.

It got your juices flowing, just anticipating the big day.

I never went to the Torch as I was serving abroad but my mate Soul Stu did and for that reason I decided it would be good to make the trip with our good ladies in tow.

The event was a sell-out in next to no time which always says something good for the forthcoming event.

Anyway the big day arrived and off we went, over the Pennines to venture into the Dark side of the country.................lol.

When we went to the original Torch site, Stu took us down a little cobbled side street and when we turned the corner, there it was with wall to wall Torchites.

It was great to see people recognising mates that they hadn't seen for years, shaking hands, hugging, telling their stories to each other. A lovely sight. Mind you, how the hell they got 1000 people in there in 1972 beats me but that's what I was told and who am I to differ.

After all the stories and the photo's and getting wet through it was off to the venue and it didn't disappoint.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and have got to say that, like other's have already said, it was one of the best nights I've had in years. The music, the atmosphere, the people, the DJ's all combined

to whisk us back to 1972/73. I really wished I could have been there then but at least I got second best and went to a fantastic re-union.

Thanks to all those who contributed in any way to what has made a lot of people very happy.

Steve B

right from when we got on the bus at ebs in peterboro' to getting back on it at 1220 am, what a bloody fantastic day. i never went to the torch(apparently i'm too young!!), but i know the tunes that were played there thanks to the musical tutelage of my husband mickd. i love the torch sounds and last night i was like a pig in the proverbial you no what!!!!!!it was great to be a part of such a great event. from getting off the coach at hose street, and paying our respects to a place that truly bought soul music to the people, to the fun filled night at the ryan hall. thanks to paul, jez and malc for a mega, mega event. not forgetting the money raised for a very worthy charity. and finally the fab company of so many friends on the coach there and back.xxxx

Quite simply an awesome night with fantastic atmosphere music and venue, havent enjoyed me sen so much in a long tarme. With that heat I couldnt cut it on the dancefloor for a more than a couple of tunes at a time. Music wise I enjoyed all everything that was played and heard loads of people say 'is that torch I thought it was Wigan'. Highlight for me were Alan, Dave and an Nidge with, blowin up my mind and the invatations, superb, thanks for Jez and the boys for the night and vanda for letting me have the ticket, If you werent at this you seriously missed out, this has to become an annual event, with you guys running it.

Yes, thankyou Paul and your co oganisers could'nt stop til the end but i and Pete G really had a great tme. Bumping into the likes of the ever friendly Max always a darling for he to introduce me to Barmy Barry a name ive always been aware of but never though i would ever meet.To bump into (yes i did recognise him imm) my first hero in music the great ALAN DAY (hav'nt seen him for about 10yrs) to see Neil Allen, Bob Banks, Simon, the ever darlings Ian Cunny and Jane,Dave Fergy,the old Shropshire lads, my old dearest friend Swish the i still look quite young Dave Evison still bounding around as if Eddie Parker was being played for the first time,for friends i met new Widnes/Congleton etc etc i thank you PAUL WHAT GREAT DAY AND AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH regards Gilly

Sorry forgot to mention Paul and his other half

I'll write something more substantive tonight - here's a few snapshots.

Alan Day was in smashing form, great to see him on the stage.

All the DJs (except me) we're great, people like Nige Brown & Neil Rushton are

super profs - honoured to have shared the stage with them.

The venue was dirty, sweaty, scruffy, just like the original Torch thumbup.gif (mind you the

bogs were pretty dry, so lacked some authenticity there ;-)

Lots more younger folk then I thought, would been far too young to have gone to the Torch, they were just loving the sounds being played.

Some stuff got played that would start a lynching at some of today's "Only 3 Known Copies" venues, just wonderful to hear Barbara Mills fill the floor again, it really was a monster sound in the early 70s (does anybody know the 2nd verse words - nobody seems to be able to translate them) wub.gif

Alcohol up Norf is a dam sight cheaper than darn Sowf tongue.gif

Tunstall hasn't changed much !!! wicked.gif

The Torch Re Union @ the RYAN HALL Tunstall was one of the best Soul Do.s ive been to in 40 years on the scene!! PERIOD!!! thumbsup.gif

Proud to say i " I WAS THERE"good.gif

I cant thank Paul, Malc and Jez enough to invite me to be a small part of it too!! Its seems so long ago that day in March when we went to check the venue out eh Paul and Jez?? thumbup.gif

I will never forget the heat at the night time bit it was just like Hose Street back in the day!

Every DJ played from the heart and kept the floor busy from 2pm through 12 -30 am

But the Highlight for me was DAVE EVISON i thought he was OUTSTANDING!!

I have been a freind and DJ colleague for more years than i can remember , and we all know Dave is a N Soul Legend and super Pro Presenter and DJ ,, BUT Saturday he was was On Fire Man,, the sheer enthusiasam was electric, i do hope Andy captured it on Video!!

Evo you where FANTASTIC!!!

Thank You , Thank You, Thank You ,,,,Guys for one of the Best N Soul events ive ever Attended!!

Nige Brown , Stafford

PS I lost me ORIGINAl Ticket Stub for the First Torch All Niter @ the Torch in the Ryan somewher on Sat,,

My Avitar above is what i have lost!!

If anyone found it please get in Touch , im guttet ive lost it!!

Edited by Torchboy

Thanks for all your wonderful comments; frankly all the accolades are a tad embarrassing, all we did was find a venue, rang a few people up and sent some tickets out, it was those that attended that made a special day very, very special.

For those of you who are interested we made £1603.17p for our three chosen charitys.

Thank you ALL so much.

PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly

Thanks for all your wonderful comments; frankly all the accolades are a tad embarrassing, all we did was find a venue, rang a few people up and sent some tickets out, it was those that attended that made a special day very, very special.

For those of you who are interested we made £1603.17p for our three chosen charity's.

Thank you ALL so much.

PD

Many Congratulations that is absolutely amazing.

read your email this morning Paul and sobbed in me cornflakes! gutted to have missed it after looking forward to it for so long. Can't wait to see all the pictures, have seen some already .. astounding, ya can taste the atmosphere in them.

Please do it all again next year.

xxx

MAGIC. I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said except to Chris (nice to meet you at the travel lodge) the ladies toilets were swimming in water just like 1972! and when Allen was playing his records and I was dancing I shut my eyes and I could have been 20 again unfortunatly by 12 am I knew exactly how old I was!!!!!

do it again next year pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Sue

hi to all the new people we met and all the old friends we met again....especially to Allen and Chrissie

MAGIC. I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said except to Chris (nice to meet you at the travel lodge) the ladies toilets were swimming in water just like 1972! and when Allen was playing his records and I was dancing I shut my eyes and I could have been 20 again unfortunatly by 12 am I knew exactly how old I was!!!!! do it again next year pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Sue

hi to all the new people we met and all the old friends we met again....especially to Allen and Chrissie

Good to meet you too Sue, sorry we were in your bedroom :ohmy: I blame those Bury lads meeself :laugh: ..............

See you next time :thumbup:

Chris L

For those of you who are interested we made £1603.17p for our three chosen charity's.

Thank you ALL so much.

PD

Fantastic paul, result, spoke to nogger yesterday n he`s still buzzin, thanks very much for a great, great daythumbup.gif

It's difficult to put in words the reunion on Saturday everything was fantastic and to see Alan Day the guys a legend. The organisation was superb thanks to Paul Donnelly,Malc Burton and Jez

Julie(Phil Morgans sister)with Phils memorabilia so moving

Chris the Lyrics to Queen of fools

She's a queen of fools

She's a queen of fools

Well I'm a queen of fools

Or so they say

Yes I have completely only yesterday

But now look at me & you will see

A lonely but proud queen of fools

Yes I'm through, they talk about

Yes your mine ?

So now look at me & you will see

Well it's hard, I love you so

Yes you are that clever ?

You finally let go

So now let's bond

And we'll skip up the coast

Yes I'm through, they talk about

Yes it goes on, this heart my love

But now look at me & you will see

I'm a fool they talk about

THE"GOLDEN TORCH" WHEN'S THE NEXT ONE

What can u say thats not been said? Great to see all old faces still enjoying the music and after hearing that Allan Day had passed away in the eighties, it was wonderfull to see and chat to him and to hear him just like old times, Max who I hadnt seen since the Cats days, without his basin haircut, Barmy Barry who is a one off! and some truely awesome tunes that will stay in the heart and head forever.

Ive to thank you guys for organising and back in may i bought tickets, posted on face book that I was looking fwd to going when I recieved a message from an unknown girl asking for some spare tickets, I said keep in touch as some may become available, we did, and have now got together and are planning a future together!!! You couldnt have predicted that one eh???

But we are now together cos of this and I cant thank you guys enough for a brillaint do and ive blisters on both feet to prove it.

What about an annual event??

Source Advert