2010-03-18: Prestatyn Northern & Modern Soul Weekender

S&m

William Howard, known as "SMOKE", a veteran performer, has been a soulful entertainment messenger of "Life & Love" for over 30 years. A native of Bristol, TE, Smoke formed the group The Fabulous Nu-Tones while in college and wrote and recorded his first release on vinyl . His singing career took off when he led and managed a number of bands. His list of accomplishments includes former lead singer of "The Ebonys", (his rugged and powerful voice distinguished many of their songs); featured vocalist on "That's What Love Does" written and produced by Vincent Montana, Jr.; first-class performer having performed on the same ticket with such greats as Al Green, Chi-Lites, Delfonics, Heatwave, Intruders, Ohio Players, Stylistics, etc; and now, solo recording artist currently working on his second CD to be released Spring 2010.

"Smoke" made his first trip to the United Kingdom in October of 2009 and did an impromptu performance of "That's What Love Does", a song that is well known on the UK dance scene. After getting a taste of the UK soul scene and lovin' it, he returns to Prestatyn for the March Weekender bringing to all the wonderful soul enthusiasts the premier of his latest releases-- performing them for the first time ever at Prestatyn.

Known for his rugged and powerful voice, "Smoke" delivers once again with songs that reflect his message of "Life and Love".

Whether it be a funky, mid-tempo groove, a hip-hop inspired cut, or a heartfelt ballad, he delivers, as only Smoke can, Smokin' Sounds With A Message You Can Dance To!!!

:thumbup::yes:

post-3150-12659719300139_thumb.jpg

• Replies 329
  • Views 37.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

William Howard, known as "SMOKE", a veteran performer, has been a soulful entertainment messenger of "Life & Love" for over 30 years. A native of Bristol, TE, Smoke formed the group The Fabulous Nu-Tones while in college and wrote and recorded his first release on vinyl . His singing career took off when he led and managed a number of bands. His list of accomplishments includes former lead singer of "The Ebonys", (his rugged and powerful voice distinguished many of their songs); featured vocalist on "That's What Love Does" written and produced by Vincent Montana, Jr.; first-class performer having performed on the same ticket with such greats as Al Green, Chi-Lites, Delfonics, Heatwave, Intruders, Ohio Players, Stylistics, etc; and now, solo recording artist currently working on his second CD to be released Spring 2010.

"Smoke" made his first trip to the United Kingdom in October of 2009 and did an impromptu performance of "That's What Love Does", a song that is well known on the UK dance scene. After getting a taste of the UK soul scene and lovin' it, he returns to Prestatyn for the March Weekender bringing to all the wonderful soul enthusiasts the premier of his latest releases-- performing them for the first time ever at Prestatyn.

Known for his rugged and powerful voice, "Smoke" delivers once again with songs that reflect his message of "Life and Love".

Whether it be a funky, mid-tempo groove, a hip-hop inspired cut, or a heartfelt ballad, he delivers, as only Smoke can, Smokin' Sounds With A Message You Can Dance To!!!

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

TOP NEWS INDEED !!!!!!

CPTN M thumbsup.gif

The main 'Modern Soul' room plays host to BOOMERANG on the Saturday afternoon with their special brand of connoisseurs soul MAIN ROOM -

Saturday Afternoon

BOOMERANG 70'S SOUL SPECIAL

Dj's - MARIA O, SOUL SAM, ARTHUR FENN, CLIFF STEELE & DAVE RIPOLLES.

Many thanks to Fish for inviting us to do this - and hope we please.

The boys are beaming and already asked me about the times at the last Boomerang, so I'm posting it up early. I wanted to give Cliff Steele the first choice for his timeslot, as he will be celebrating his 50th birthday on that day - but he wanted to play early while he could still stand :thumbup:

...actually, two preferred early spots and two were 'easy' ...leaving me feeling like the meat in this five hour sandwich :hatsoff2: :

1PM - ARTHUR FENN

2PM - CLIFF STEELE (the golden BIRTHDAY BOY!)

3PM - MARIA O

4PM - DAVE RIPOLLES

5PM - SOUL SAM

Unless the above clashes with pre-organised spots for the boys in other rooms, we'll stick to it.

Worth mentioning that whilst we are doing a 70's special, we won't be held to that decade exclusively, as we have been asked to let a little of that full Boomerang flavour seep through the record cracks :shades: .

m

Guest John Poole

Artists are all ready and rarin' to go

Booking line is getting busy

Don't leave it to late!

Was at Carl W house the other night I think he has a few new tunes he is going to play

Guest soul4life

just a few weeks before all roads lead to prestatyn...me & jaks cant wait especially looking forward to hearing KENNY BOBIEN LIVE!!! and sat nite in the house of soul..and of course cathing up with friends old & new! as anyone got the d.j times for the queen vic on friday? hatsoff2.gif

Guest Glawster

Hi - Fed up of being messed about,folks umming and ahhing about going,so 2 of us looking for a chalet share,pm's please any offers - Sue says we're both house trained!

Hiya guys and gals,

only 3,5 weeks now - all set..... flights booked, car booked, can't wait !! But.... as usual..... someone cancelled last minute :thumbsup:, so I have 1 wristband on offer...again !

pm me if you are interested.

Cheers

Silke

Guest John Poole

Be good to see you and Michael again

Was talking to James the other week....looking good for him to be here 2011

Not to long to go now for the First UK appearance of THE HESITATIONS

Can't believe that we have managed to secure yet another legendary group for Prestatyn

I'm sure Bernie will share their set list soon

Many thanks to Fish for inviting us to do this - and hope we please.

The boys are beaming and already asked me about the times at the last Boomerang, so I'm posting it up early. I wanted to give Cliff Steele the first choice for his timeslot, as he will be celebrating his 50th birthday on that day - but he wanted to play early while he could still stand :lol:

...actually, two preferred early spots and two were 'easy' ...leaving me feeling like the meat in this five hour sandwich :) :

1PM - ARTHUR FENN

2PM - CLIFF STEELE (the golden BIRTHDAY BOY!)

3PM - MARIA O

4PM - DAVE RIPOLLES

5PM - SOUL SAM

Unless the above clashes with pre-organised spots for the boys in other rooms, we'll stick to it.

Worth mentioning that whilst we are doing a 70's special, we won't be held to that decade exclusively, as we have been asked to let a little of that full Boomerang flavour seep through the record cracks :lol: .

m

Looking forward to this one Maria.

Hesitations are indeed an attraction to look forward to

They WILL be performing a set list of 7/8 songs

I've never released artist set lists in advance of the gig because I think the live show itself should be exiting as the songs get played

But anyone interested can be assured that all the well known tracks will be included

Bernie

Let's not forget

KENNY HAMBER, He'll be performing 4 tracks including his 2 massive 60's monster tracks

MARY LOVE with 5 tracks which will also include the wonderful "I'm in your hands"

SIDNEY BARNES with 3 huge northern soul tracks

AND

The Midnight Hour Band, who will do an opening number tribute to a recently departed soul artist

AND AND

The PRESTATYN PARADE (The Finale) which will feature all artists on stage in an unrehearsed party finale

Bernie

Agreed we don't need OLDIES in the afternoon sessions, the floor tends to only have a handful on it anyway so we might as well have just a few dancing to something different. Bring on the funk, Sweet soul anything really but leave the oldies until the evening.whistling

Well said - I'll have some of that :thumbup: Would make a nice change too thumbsup.gif

I for one am looking forward to the new and improved 'Redemption'.

Can't wait to experience the improved sound proofing and try out the new dance floor as promised earlier in the thread.

Along with the fantastic live acts this should be a great weekend.

Here's hoping anyway...

Guest Mrs Simsy

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did look back over the thread but couldn't see it. Can you just get a pass for the Saturday? Believe that was done last year?:yes:

Only just realised that it's coming up so doubtful could get the time off work to come for the whole shindig but don't half fancy catching the Hesitations!:thumbup:

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did look back over the thread but couldn't see it. Can you just get a pass for the Saturday? Believe that was done last year?smile.gif

Only just realised that it's coming up so doubtful could get the time off work to come for the whole shindig but don't half fancy catching the Hesitations!:yes:

You can't 'officially' buy passes just for the Saturday night, but people do sell them on here :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by jumpinjoan

Let's not forget

KENNY HAMBER, He'll be performing 4 tracks including his 2 massive 60's monster tracks

MARY LOVE with 5 tracks which will also include the wonderful "I'm in your hands"

SIDNEY BARNES with 3 huge northern soul tracks

AND

The Midnight Hour Band, who will do an opening number tribute to a recently departed soul artist

Bernie

================================================================

Bernie just noticed ohmy.gif you have a fishing float sticking out of each ear when you have them removed pass em on to me please mate just the right size for the River Weaverunsure.gifav-7801.jpg

Edited by IANCSLOFT

Can't wait to experience the improved sound proofing and try out the new dance floor as promised earlier in the thread.

Along with the fantastic live acts this should be a great weekend.

Here's hoping anyway...

Yeah me to Joan

Can't wait :lol:

=====================================================================================

Yo Joan once you start Jellybeanin around the floor it will soon fall to piecesrolleyes.gifyes.gif

================================================================

Bernie just noticed :ohmy: you have a fishing float sticking out of each ear when you have them removed pass em on to me please mate just the right size for the River Weaver:unsure:av-7801.jpg

Mr C

I need them to keep me afloat and sane over the weekender. I will reserve them for you after the weekend, Would you like them autographed ??

Bernie

A very small amount of additional BUDGET ONLY chalets have just been made available by the Prestatyn Holiday Centre - they are available on a first come basis on the following rates -

2 persons sharing a 1 bedroom Budget apartment @ £59.00 per person. Normally it would be a minimum of 4 persons.

3 persons sharing a 2 bedroom Budget apartment @ £49.00 per person. Normally it would be a minimum of 6 persons.

This is also an excellent alternative for those of you that are looking for event only passes (and there seem to be quite a few of you) - as passes only are not available to purchase for the event from Pontins. But you can in effect if you don't wish to use the accommodation purchase a weekend pass (useable for all 4 nights) for £49 based on purchasing x 3 passes.

Booking line number is - 0844 5765949 - quoting Soul Source Offer.

:yes::thumbup:

What I love about Presty is that you bump into friends that you haven't seen in a while , it's a great weekend to catch up with massive choice of music be it radio or hall , but this year is very special becuase the HESITATIONS are on ...wow wow wow , I am getting excemetited ...she won't come back ..oh yes she will.....soul superman....... wait a minute ....... oh and so much more you can't bypass this louuuuuuuuuuuuv of mine

Guest Glawster

A very small amount of additional BUDGET ONLY chalets have just been made available by the Prestatyn Holiday Centre - they are available on a first come basis on the following rates -

2 persons sharing a 1 bedroom Budget apartment @ £59.00 per person. Normally it would be a minimum of 4 persons.

3 persons sharing a 2 bedroom Budget apartment @ £49.00 per person. Normally it would be a minimum of 6 persons.

This is also an excellent alternative for those of you that are looking for event only passes (and there seem to be quite a few of you) - as passes only are not available to purchase for the event from Pontins. But you can in effect if you don't wish to use the accommodation purchase a weekend pass (useable for all 4 nights) for £49 based on purchasing x 3 passes.

Booking line number is - 0844 5765949 - quoting Soul Source Offer.

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

The above is all well and good but we booked with only 2 of us in a 4 berth and paying £236! So this message is saying wait til near the date and as PONTINS would like to make more money they will reduce the price - as it is we have sold the other 2 passes but are still paying more per person than this advert!

Bet were not the only ones either!

The above is all well and good but we booked with only 2 of us in a 4 berth and paying £236! So this message is saying wait til near the date and as PONTINS would like to make more money they will reduce the price - as it is we have sold the other 2 passes but are still paying more per person than this advert!

Bet were not the only ones either!

To clarify for anyone that has booked in as 2 only in a 4 birth BUDGET chalet and paid an additional premium for this - I was informed yesterday they will be contacted by Pontins with a letter in the next few days and charged at the same price as the current offer being advertised.

This only applies to BUDGET chalets as this additional offer is for BUDGET ONLY accommodation.

The extra chalets released, were originally not going to be made available - but due to demand for places @ the Weekender the decision was only made this week.

Sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to anybody.

Mark

OBO Pontins

Edited by S&M
Guest Leona M

Wit Woowhistling

That's a great line-up. The suite was ace last year - I particularly enjoyed Nick Hackett's set so looking forward to seeing him again - better dust off my dancing shoes for this one!

Leona XX

Maria has just confirmed the line-up for their room Saturday Night

John Weston

James Trouble

Dawn Carmen

Simon Hunt

Pete Hullatt

Jumpin' Joan

Mick H

Andy Dyson

Soul Sam

Carl Fortnum

Ted Massey

Keith Money

Fred Krol

Nick Hackett

Chic

Phil Shields

and of course Maria Willingham

More details on the event will be posted soon..

Guest Leona M

Wit Woowhistling

That's a great line-up. The suite was ace last year - I particularly enjoyed Nick Hackett's set so looking forward to seeing him again - better dust off my dancing shoes for this one!

Leona XX

BTW anyone got a couple of spare passes for sale? For our mates Bobby N Val xx