S&m

• Replies 329
  • Views 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How could you mix me up with Ged Parkerno.gif:thumbsup::ohmy::lol:

Boy was that funnyrolleyes.gif

xxx Ian C

No quite as funny as you being confused with Tim Ashebende that time.

The whole weekend was fantastic in the main. Just the bass from the house of soul gave me a headache and I didn't even go in there :lol:.

Mick H saying we "have to sort out that Jumanji for next year" was quality. So was Carl Willingham saying "What makes you think you'll be on next year?" :lol:

Pete Hulat and John Weston being told to "play some northern, not this modern rubbish" whilst Ray Agee was on the decks was so so funny too.

Playing a few in the Queen Vic on the Friday was a pleasure and finishing the night off on Sunday in there was great too even if the 'Go Compare' man ducked out of the double decking session to leave me on my own :lol:

Thanks to Geoff C for the spotless Linda and The Vistas too.

Roll on the next one.

Guest LizandRoger

Had an absolutely fantastic weekend

great times with some friends with some great sounds.............what more can you ask for

:lol::thumbsup::yes:

Guest rennie

Regards the allocation of rooms - pretty much 3 arena's have been set aside for Northern Soul as per last year.

The Queen Vic will continue with it's progressive music policy - at the end of the day - yes it is a pub, so the emphasis isn't necessarily about dancing in here, although that doesn't stop anyone and if they want to they do !! - but the layout of the room means it's never going to be a full on dance venue with a dedicated dancefloor.

But concerns raised with lighting in the evenings will be looked at to see if this can be more sympathetic to the surroundings.

Redemption - the second smaller 'Northern Soul' room will adopt an oldies policy All-Nighter on the Friday, with Carl & Maria Willingham's much praised rare session All-Nighter returning after it's success on the Saturday last year.

Regards to comments on the dancefloor - as it is a temporary wooden dancefloor it's impossible to be able to offer up something to the standard of a fully laid permanent floor, but we will be looking at the various options available to make this the best it possibly can be as a temporary floor for the next event.

The sound leakage situation raised effects both this and the 'House Of Soul next door and is something we were aware of at this years March event. So improvements were made at the recent October Legends Weekender to try and rectify this as much as we could - and by erecting solid boards in each room as a backdrop and using double thickness sound absorbent material it was noticably better and a big improvement to March's event just gone.

The room is being looked at from a layout perspective as well, with a reasonable amount of extra seating in relation to the size of the room being allocated.

FISH

HAD A FANTASTIC WEEKEND ... NOT MISSED A PRESSY FROM THE START...REDEMPTION CARL & MARIA'S NIGHT WAS TOTALLY SUPERB.

TO BAD THEY WERE LET DOWN BY THE WORST DANCEFLOOR IN THE WORLD AND TO QUOTE FISH 'SOUND LEAKAGE' LIKE NEVER BEFORE.

IF THIS WAS A 'BIG IMPROVEMENT' WHO EVER YOU PAID HAS RIPPED YOU OFF..

STILL ON THE WHOLE A BRILLIANT SOUL WEEKENDER NOT TO BE MISSED...

Alot of opinions have been expressed since the weekend, and as with any event we've put on there - we'll take time to reflect, consider and try and improve where we think we can on several fronts for the next event. The overall reaction seems to have been a very positive one though

: -))

PRESTATYN LEGENDS WEEKENDER - OCTOBER 14TH - 18TH 2010 - with THE VELVELETTES & TAVARES live in concert.

THE PRESTATYN NORTHERN & MODERN SOUL WEEKENDER 10TH ANNIVERSARY - MARCH 10TH - 14TH 2011

A massive thanks to EVERYONE in attendance who supported the weekend - it is very very much appreciated.

Fish & John

Edited by S&M

Cross-posted from EMS with a "modern" slant on things:

Well, what a weekend!! Another great Prestatyn event comes and goes. I get there earlier than ever these days, and don't leave the site until Monday, but these weekends still fly by in a blur.........as they say, time flies when you're having fun.

I think live act wise this one was special for some very specific reasons. Firstly, the fact that TWO house legends took to the stage together was special. Then consider that, by virtue of the style of music they are best known for, they are probably most use to performing to backing tracks, but not this time..................a full band, and a great one at that: the Black Masses Orchestra. This made for a truly memorable show, and adding to the magic, alongside their club anthems they performed some soul classics, making for a nice varied set.

Then on Saturday we get the astonishing Tortured Soul. Here we have a band whose sound completely belies their number, who have a (very good) drummer as a (very accomplished) lead vocalist, and who cleverly segue their set together in a way that a DJ would with music of said tempo. As with Friday then, some very specific good reasons why we should feel privileged to have witnessed them live at Prestatyn this year. Awesome!

And last but by no means least, William "Smoke "Howard, who whilst not afforded the limelight like the others, performed his new cuts with great credibility. I know that he and his team were very happy with the weekend and made a lot of good contacts in the UK.

A massive shout to Fish then for an inspired live act line up for Prestatyn Midnight Hour 2010. Take a bow mate!

Away from the acts, the weekend passed to the soundtrack of some great and varied music from a host of quality DJ's, through some great themed sessions across the two (modern) rooms. To be honest, with the radio to look after, Dj'ing in the arena's etc, etc, I rarely stayed in one place long enough to comment on whole sessions, but can say that the general vibe was one to be savoured. So many good friends and good times!! Not going to single anyone out, but some fantastic laughs along the way.

I have to say a massive thank you to all those people who offered their time to present on the radio station, it is much appreciated! For obvious reasons I do try to catch as much radio as possible when back in the chalet, and can tell you that I did not hear a bad show where I was able to tune in. So, from Colin Brown and myself, THANK YOU.

And finally, well done to Carl at Starpoint for the live broadcasts......nice one!

I have some great personal memories to take away from this weekender.

A great event that goes from strength to strength: Prestatyn

Cheers,

Mark R

Alot of opinions have been expressed since the weekend, and as with any event we've put on there - we'll take time to reflect, consider and try and improve where we think we can on several fronts for the next event.

Fish & John

The boom boom room has got to be at the top of your list. I can still hear and feel it now :thumbsup:

Cross-posted from EMS with a "modern" slant on things:

Well, what a weekend!! Another great Prestatyn event comes and goes. I get there earlier than ever these days, and don't leave the site until Monday, but these weekends still fly by in a blur.........as they say, time flies when you're having fun.

I think live act wise this one was special for some very specific reasons. Firstly, the fact that TWO house legends took to the stage together was special. Then consider that, by virtue of the style of music they are best known for, they are probably most use to performing to backing tracks, but not this time..................a full band, and a great one at that: the Black Masses Orchestra. This made for a truly memorable show, and adding to the magic, alongside their club anthems they performed some soul classics, making for a nice varied set.

Then on Saturday we get the astonishing Tortured Soul. Here we have a band whose sound completely belies their number, who have a (very good) drummer as a (very accomplished) lead vocalist, and who cleverly segue their set together in a way that a DJ would with music of said tempo. As with Friday then, some very specific good reasons why we should feel privileged to have witnessed them live at Prestatyn this year. Awesome!

And last but by no means least, William "Smoke "Howard, who whilst not afforded the limelight like the others, performed his new cuts with great credibility. I know that he and his team were very happy with the weekend and made a lot of good contacts in the UK.

A massive shout to Fish then for an inspired live act line up for Prestatyn Midnight Hour 2010. Take a bow mate!

Away from the acts, the weekend passed to the soundtrack of some great and varied music from a host of quality DJ's, through some great themed sessions across the two (modern) rooms. To be honest, with the radio to look after, Dj'ing in the arena's etc, etc, I rarely stayed in one place long enough to comment on whole sessions, but can say that the general vibe was one to be savoured. So many good friends and good times!! Not going to single anyone out, but some fantastic laughs along the way.

I have to say a massive thank you to all those people who offered their time to present on the radio station, it is much appreciated! For obvious reasons I do try to catch as much radio as possible when back in the chalet, and can tell you that I did not hear a bad show where I was able to tune in. So, from Colin Brown and myself, THANK YOU.

And finally, well done to Carl at Starpoint for the live broadcasts......nice one!

I have some great personal memories to take away from this weekender.

A great event that goes from strength to strength: Prestatyn

Cheers,

Mark R

Great write up Mark, for me meeting Kenny Bobien & Stephanie Cooke on Thursday night was so special, not so many people there but being able to chat to them about their recording was brilliant, I even got a thumbs up from the entourage when they were dancing in the House of Soul during my set 11 till midnight, which considering it was only Thursday night was pretty busy.

The best moment from their live performance on Friday night was when they duetted on "Where is the love" Such a tender moment. and the finale

Kenny singing Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" SUPERB!!!!

Could the Friday night be topped??

I think there's a few folks who maybe haven't heard Tortured Soul's album all the way through, but What a fantastic live performance, not only because of the spectacular drumming, but the vocals were note perfect, my hands were sore and voice almost gone after that brilliant show.

My sincere thanks go out to all of the organisers of this event. You all deserve a great big pat on the back for putting such and incredible event together,

I didn't want to miss anything, that's why I am still knackered today.

Already looking forward to October!!!

best regards

Neil Self

WELL AFTER SUCH A BUILD UP TO THIS WEEKENDER thumbsup.gif I CERTAINLY WASN`T DISSAPPOINTED ONE LITTLE BIT :no: NO SIRREE WAS THE ABSOLUTLY DOGS B******:thumbup: JUST GETS BETTER EVERY YEAR:yes: ITS THE ONLY PLACE FOR ME WHERE I CAN CATCH UP WITH FRIENDS OLD AND NEW AND BOY THERE ARE SO MANY I WONT GO AND NAME YOU ALL whistling BUT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE thumbsup.gif THE ATMOSPHERE WAS SUPERBthumbsup.gif THE CHALETS GET BETTER AND THE WEATHER LOOKED DOWN ON US THIS YEAR WITH A LITTLE CONSIDERATION:unsure: WOULD JUST LOVE TO CONGRATULATE ALL INVOLVED IN PUTTING A SUPERB WEEKENDER PACKAGE TOGETHER AND NEXT YEAR WILL BE MY TENTH ANNIVERSARY SO CAKE AND JELLY WILL BE ON THE MENU AND PROBABLY A LOT OF THIS:beer: JUST ONCE AGAIN THANKS GUYS AND GIRLS FOR A SUPERB WEEKEND AND SEE YOU ALL IN OCTOBER :wave::wave::wave:

P.S JUST ONE LOVELY LADY I WILL MENTION ................SANDRA (WAYOUTGIRL ) WAS LOVELY TO MEET YOU TOO IF ONLY BRIEFLY IN THE LOO :D

Thanks Julie see you soon XX

Personally thought the weekend was great, yep the djs could be more aware of whats being played cause we do hear the same tunes over and over especially early on in the evening. However if you could find two better sets than those of Butch & T. Brown on Friday & Saturday anywhere I'll be there. Thought these two and Sean were excellent with some great, proper northern tunes being played in the main room. Hats of to the organisers especially Mr Poole, cant be easy organising something like this and keep everybody happy. T. Brown played a tune that I think he said there were only 2 known copies, what a record that was, brill.

For us Prestatyn remains the large venue we look forward to each year, see you in October

Chris

This was my 9th Prestatyn Weekender and all I can say is roll on the next one. This weekend always lives up to expectations and there's always something a little different each year to keep us on our toes.

I walked in on Thurs clutching a bunch of my Kenny Bobein 12" for him to sign and within 3 hours we were sharing the same dancefloor. WOW! Thing's don't get much better. It's so nice going somewhere to hear your idols sing and leaving with them being a friend. Soul stuff indeed. Had a great chat to George Kendricks of The Hesitations in the breakfast room on Fri morning.

All the acts were superb. Sid Barnes did what Sid Barnes does best. Enjoy your retirement Sidney you deserve it! Kenny Hamber stole the show. What a performance, he sure had the main hall swinging. Mary Love I'm in Your Hands, most definitley. I had to leave half way through The Hesitation's set to do a radio showangry.gif (Colin) but what I heard before I left was outstanding. William 'Smokey on Friday was superb I hope I can move like that when I'm his age. Then Kenny-and Stephanie Cook. This was as good as any Modern room act at Prestatyn-Ann Nesby-Phil Perry-Cathy Brown-Melisa Morgan etc.

I enjoyed the Main Room everytime I was in there although it did lack a bit of atmosphere on Sunday night for me. Probably coz I was knackered.

The Redemption room was fantastic when I went in Caught Phil's set. The Gambrells wink.gif . John Weston wink.gif and I caught the end of one of Jumping Joan's setswink.gif All good to these ears and legs. Many many thanks to Mark & John for yet another outstanding weekend. Not forgetting Colin, Mark Randle and Mr Coddington.wink.gif

Thank you & see you in October.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore

This was my 9th Prestatyn Weekender and all I can say is roll on the next one. This weekend always lives up to expectations and there's always something a little different each year to keep us on our toes.

I walked in on Thurs clutching a bunch of my Kenny Bobein 12" for him to sign and within 3 hours we were sharing the same dancefloor. WOW! Thing's don't get much better. It's so nice going somewhere to hear your idols sing and leaving with them being a friend. Soul stuff indeed. Had a great chat to George Kendricks of The Hesitations in the breakfast room on Fri morning.

All the acts were superb. Sid Barnes did what Sid Barnes does best. Enjoy your retirement Sidney you deserve it! Kenny Hamber stole the show. What a performance, he sure had the main hall swinging. Mary Love I'm in Your Hands, most definitley. I had to leave half way through The Hesitation's set to do a radio showangry.gif (Colin) but what I heard before I left was outstanding. William 'Smokey on Friday was superb I hope I can move like that when I'm his age. Then Kenny-and Stephanie Cook. This was as good as any Modern room act at Prestatyn-Ann Nesby-Phil Perry-Cathy Brown-Melisa Morgan etc.

I enjoyed the Main Room everytime I was in there although it did lack a bit of atmosphere on Sunday night for me. Probably coz I was knackered.

The Redemption room was fantastic when I went in Caught Phil's set. The Gambrells wink.gif . John Weston wink.gif and I caught the end of one of Jumping Joan's setswink.gif All good to these ears and legs. Many many thanks to Mark & John for yet another outstanding weekend. Not forgetting Colin, Mark Randle and Mr Coddington.wink.gif

Thank you & see you in October.

Kev

========

sorry i missed u kev

was in the main room for sat and sun and did enjoy it as im not a big weekender fan but was very surprised at how i enjoyed it...

SOUL ODDITITY 2010, RETURN OF THE FAB FOUR.

Operation Prestatyn Philibuster was up& running early this time round.Gail had started squirrelling away garments & drinks etc from the Monday onwards in the front bedroom & all laid out like a Regimental Sergeant Majors billet & just as untouchable,so by Wednesday I was down to the raggy frayed 70's bri-nylon candy striped shreddiesblush.gif ,which is not a pretty sight, I can assure you,but the Emperors clothes are sacred now & cannot make an appearance till Thursday evening, just like your not allowed to use the loo after it's been cleaned,Why? Cos I've just cleaned it, that's why!!!Womens logic me thinks, I digress sorry.Thurs 3.30pm I return from work to the heady aroma of Chilli & Shepherds Pie wafting through the house as they cooled in readiness for the weekends gastronomic delights & enough bags,holdalls & boxes to make me think we're in serious financial difficulties & just one step ahead of the bailiffs, when in actuality it's just enough provisions to brave four days as Prisoners of Prestatyn Penitentiary & Pleasure Park. So the beast of burdens loaded with survival supplies of one litre each of Gin & Vodka,24 Becks,10 Magners for Gail & I,good job we're not big drinkers like some,plus three bottles of wine for any classy friends or people we meet along the way, so a good chance of a full refund on those then when we get home.By 4 all orifices & cubby holes are rammed solid with varying sized items & objects & it's off down the M62 to catch every worker & wa**er in the North of England either entering or exiting Junction 27, closely followed by us all doing the slowest Conga in history through mile upon mile of roadworksranting_1.gif ,God I wish I manufactured cones, we collect Col & Shirl who have just about finished their course of intensive aversion therapy & regressive hypnotherapy for post traumatic stress symptoms & are doing fine,now I face my nemesis, the Hill that Kills at their front door(Bloody Hell it's long & steep,had I realised when auditioning for Cool Running 2 "Aircraft Audi Astronauts,there's no place like snow",my dark leather seats may have been a shade or two darker, as would my Calvins & I'm sure our lasses waters would have broken & she's not even pregnanthuh.gif ) "This is Major Tom to Brown control,I'm sh***ing through the door & I'm floating in a most peculiar way", You betcha Bowie!!

Part two of the life & times of a luggage loaders life & how to lay a load of old bags in the back of your motor with ease & not forgetting the Greetland Gringo's, Col & Shirl "Nearly ready" Wood, now all the usual ballast is on board it feels like Prestatyn bound & gagged, back into the breech we go & make remarkable time into Welsh Wales to my suprise of the trip, a stop over in Mold (Stop laughing at the back) & a feast at the "Hot Wok",probably the best idea I've had all year other than denying Gail my Bank pin number, fabulous Thai/Chinese fusion food in elegant surroundings,an ambience of chic & directly across from the cop shop, so your cars safe, or as they say in Wales "Heddlu" or is it "Pingu"?Never sure!!g.gif

Touch down ground zero 9.40 after receiving meeting point details from Kev(Ranger) & Pauline plus local activity reports from Dave Rivers & Steph,so after swearing an oath of alliegance to Pontins & promising the Gateman we won't desert to Billy Butlins we collect our survival packs from reception,where we bump into Edwina from Bradford who we hardly recognise, cos it's been that long & she's sporting straight hair,then it's Buffalo gal's go around the outside,around the outside & dozy doh your partner,till you stumble upon your bunk somewhere in Charlie Bravo sector,you need an Orienteering degree to use those maps.Now priorities after leccy on, Men:Beer & Bog,Ladies: Luggage & Lippy, then it's out to the Vic as quick as you can say, "Rent mans here Mam" but it's deserted except for our car crew & Kev & Pauline, so it's forward to Fun & Friends in the Main Arena where I spy my favourite Barnsley Beauty & a damn fine Lady, Joy with not only the No1 smiliest(and Flappiest) Dj in Britain"The Yockster" but daughter & boyfriend along,so best behaviour,not you kids,you two Mr & Mrs,so a shake of Yocky's hand then my customary Big Mama Hug & Kiss from Joy & off I skip as Happy as Larry for the night.Already making Merry in the Main room are;Snowy & Bride to be Lynne,the Backbeat Backwall Bunch Jen & Roger Banks,the jolly jelly people Geoff & Sue Claxton with Ged Parker, coralled in the Dj pen are the East Coast Castaways of Rupe,Hobbo,Mak & Daddy Dave Raistrick together with Andy & Deb Riley,Mr MaC & Hell on wheels Halina & it was so good to see them,my good mates Dave & Steph, the Lusher than Lush Michelle & the original Five Fingered Fishermans Fillet Fiddler from Grimsby,Cheeky Chops Chappers,also in the locality were Andy D,Ian Dewhirst,Neil Rushton whose book "Northern Soul Stories, Angst & Acetates" is a worthy read & an insight into the germination & growth of this scene,John"Tash"Weston,Mr Dobson,Little Kim,Gaz Farrington with Linda somewhere out on the floor,before I head for my bunk at 11.30'ish(I'm knackered I've been driving all day,ok!!) I hear JT can't make it due to a race & a Gymkhana,no don't laugh now,it may be a very important event in the Smokes social calendar & I'm sure he looks delightful in Jodhpurs with crop in hand down at the Blue Oyster Bar after sunset.whistling.gif Well JT your loss cos you missed a blinder, Hi Ho Silver away!!!!!!! Gail was kindly chaperoned back at 2.30'ish by Dave & Steph whilst I belched & farted my way to oblivion & beyond throughout the night & into the morrow.

Friday Morn 8.30 it's wide awake club,bacon butty & tea,call to Kev to se if they in land of living,appears Pauline has a sore head from the inside out & won't be available till 11.30, so seeing as we've not seen the Beach or Town, infact none of Wales other than the inner surrounds of the complex & our allotted chalet, we decide to yomp along the seafront but soon realise it extends all the way to Rhyl some 5 milesohmy.gif ,we do manage a good long head clearing walk though & on returning bump into Ali & Chrissy who are here with Mikey,Twinnie & Bev.Breakfast time in the Bistro of Barf where I explain to two of the Hesitations what Black Pudding is & consists of,the look of sheer dread on their faces was a picture to behold, "Who you here to see", "The Hesitations", "We're the Hesitations", "Yes I know", "NO REALLY WE ARE THE HESITATIONS", "No REALLY I know you are",they seemed a little disappointed in the numbers here, so I explain how Saturday would be different & how they'd "FEEL THE LUV" on stage,they looked at me as if they'd met an institute escapee, they invited us to join the entourage to finish breakfast but looked mightily relievedsweatingbullets.gif when we declined due to other plans.Now we got the wanderlust bug & we're up for owt, so into Kev & Paulines car & into the Town,Then off to the faded Grandeur of Rhyl, it's Harbour & Marina followed by a magical mystery tour around & about before heading off for a £3.59 Carvery & boy was it good,btw how many caravan sites & sales rooms are there on that road,it's wall to wall statics.Back at the Bat Cave its time for R&R plus time for the Chunk of Carvery to settle a littlecheese1.gif before the festivities begin in earnest & the majority of Soulies arrive.9pm it's off to the Vic to join the throng,the place is already busy with plenty of faces about including;Soulgirl & Little Lovely Lottie,Pete Hullat & Denise,Stu Cheetham & Katie,Steve P,Sharon & Lydia,Lynn & Jimmy,Dave Abbot(My partner in pain) & Deb,ace music played in Vic all weekend but stand out for me was Stu Cheetham,Johnny Weston & Karl Rhodes, room to room I wandered letting all the genres of music wash over me whilst stopping occasionally to say "Hi" or chat to such eminent people as; Billy & Lovely Nita, The Count(I think that's what Jean calls him) & Countess of Conisborough & my great mates Nell & Jean,Nicola & Gilly who appeared to be checking out every exit for the best smoke zone,Melv fom Edinburgh,Jane & Pip,Kev Joss & Lesley,Bearsoul,Geoff,Steve Green & Vicky(Who totally forgot who,what & where she knew me from,I've got feelings you know) ,John Mc & Jen,Nadine & Fred Krol,Prestatyn virgo intacto Simon "Imberboy",President of Prescot Mike Cog & Jan,Mick H with Nottinghams answer to Nellie Pledge & Mrs Slocombe's pussy,Dippy & Lippy aka Grotty & Snotty,Mandy & Wendy,also the 6-8 Radioheads Steve L,Kev H & Dean ably chaperoned by Big Paul btw lads,I couldn't care less if it was played at Obama's inauguration never mind Wigan "Gypsy" is sh**e,Progressive Rock to me,pass us me Loones & Fruit of the Loom Grandad shirt I feel a Festival coming on & Dr Bob nobody can or ever will compare to Marvin Gaye vocally & defo not the track you played,although very nice,no way,no how I'm afraidno.gif .

Off to the Modern room for "Smoke" Howard & well worth the visit but after waiting almost an hour for the Stars of the show to grace us with their presence on stage(Also heard they never made the interview for radio, bet they remembered to pick up their wages though) I decided to make my exit,the rooms unique Soul Scent being a deciding factor, exuding a pungent aroma of Linford Christies Athletes Crotch after running the heats & final of the 100 metres in an 8 hour periodswoon.gif ,so House of Soul here we come & what an inspired choice,Tats played a stonking set & Arthur came in a close second,back to Main room & after 20 minutes or so of Oldies it's time to rest my weary head so we can make Boomerang Showcase saturday afternoon.

Up & at 'em again in the Modern room by 2pm Saturday afternoon with "Our Vicky" & Kev,Steve Heywood,Steve"oxo" & Annette,Kev,Pauline & Kenny,Pete Burk(Karen can't make it she's not at all wellno.gif ),before the sunsets over the yard arm I've seen the Hardcores of Soul,Nita & Eddie,Joan & Tony,Big Ian, Zurich Steve,Nesta,Shorny(I'm tired luv) & Jane,Big Roger,Sergeant Peppers,Chris & Ingrid,Kit & Kaz,Harpo & Sandi,Jill & Ross,not forgetting the Gastronomes of Soul, Nige & Carms,also Joey Dunlop who managed the full weekend for the first timelaugh.gif ,the author cannot be held liable for any glaring omissions,misrepresentations,out & out lies,hearsay or conjecture & if I missed you,I'm truly sorry but it's only my ramblings.

Anyway Boomerang Showcase was excellent & it showed it's the quality of the music that counts when Cliff Steele played Mega rare King George followed by £30 Chimes,both superb tunes.I particularly enjoyed Dave Ripoles but I couldn't fault the whole afternoon & the numbers in the room for an afternoon session was the most I've seen,so obviously they were of the same opinion , as I left the building I glanced into the House of Soul were it was Jazz time, not my thing at all but the two guys dancing could lay down a hell of a lick, I was sweating just watchingsweatingbullets.gif.

Quick kip,shower,Shepherds Pie which Gail insists on forcing on Dave & Steph, cos it lines your stomach you know,then it's back to the Vic through sock sweat avenue & into Carl & Maria's with the Attic boys & Dale, the line up in here tonight is the Who's Who of Rare Soul & for a lot the main reason for being here.I spy Jo Brock whom I'm told is with Sian & Dean (Rugby Soul Soul Club),time to introduce myself,"Sian?","Yes!!","Spot", pause,total silence & a look of utter bewilderment,"Hi I'm Spot",no not working,lights are on but no ones home look still,"GPS Satellite tracking system on your band so I could find you & say Hello",Mork calling Orson,come in Orson,PLEASE!!!hypo.gif Still a look as if I'm talking in tongues until Dean rescues my red face & stumbling tongue,!It's SPOT" & suddenly the lights are back on & Sian realises I'm not a vagrant looking for a free bed or the local nutter just wandering around shouting random words & annoying people,although I'm sure I do.shhh.gif

Showtime people, so off to the main arena, quick "Hello's" to Ginger,Bob & Tim Brown as I join the masses to listen to Mr Barnes(Not Cliff) laying his final layer of other side hurt on us,Mary Love turning everyones bitter into sweet as she lays her burden down,the mountain that is Kenny Hamber giving us everything & anything we want, cos he's still never found a girl,topped of with no Hesitation cos they're not built that way,what a showcase,what a night although I must say the Soul Superman look doesn't quite cut it on the older gents physique but they all did us proud & I'm afraid there won't be to many more nights like that as time marches on for the artists,so enjoy whilst we & they can & a big thank you to John & Mark for making it possible for us to witness these happeningsthumbup.gif .

Note of the weekend,there seemed to be an inordinent number of tall people there or are some of us shrinking fast,also we seemed to be plagued with hats, it must have been Head wear weekend as I've never seen as many titfer's in one place at the same time & I'm sure I spotted 2007 Eurovision failures Schooch in the house in jolly Pale Blue & white trimmed Aircrew uniforms, What's it all about????Cos I ain't got a clue,have you??g.gif

Back to Carl & Maria's where we're like kids let loose in a candy shop, musically superb but I'm afraid my hearing gives in as House of Soul is on Jumbo Jet engine overhead volume plus & it's distorting the Music in there,so it's into Cat P*ss Corner with Mick H,Mandy,Cog & Jan,Steph,Dolly,Joey & friends for something a bit more Modern & audible,after an hour or so it's Goodnight/Good Morning to all & we're ready to hit the pit to recuperate before Slowdown Sunday but not before spying Ronnie McNair making a flying visit whilst over here on tour. You can hear the steady thump thump thump of the base line from the House of Soul all the way back in our chalet which is practically on the beach,so maybe just a tad too loud lads,eh??

We awake to Seagull Sunday afternoon & their incessant squawking which goes right through you like fingernails on a blackboard & sounds like a child crying or someone screaming at times but this could all end soon as a couple of lads after playing football decide it's time to wage war on the feathered foe & they become Masai Warriors of Wales by luring them in with stale sandwiches then trying to harpoon them with homemade spears whilst they feast but the Sh*t Machines of the Sky are too long in the tooth & exceptional at scramble starts to avoid missiles,so it's plan B for the Welsh Wellington Bombers, leaving food out in the open in plain view & hiding around the corner of the nearest block until the birds land to feed & settle down with full gullets then it's a go go go & pounce,sorry no luck there either,the fowl have more patience than it's foe & wait till they leave before feasting on the titbits, and they say humans are the most intelligent animals on the Planet,well not in Wales they aren't!!!!!!

Sunday night is laidback in the Vic with Pete Hullat & Denise,Soulgirl & Lottie,Kev & Pauline,Oxo & Annette,Col & Shirl,Dave & Steph plus the flatulent four of Mr Weston,Rimmer,Parker & Claxton, the juries still out on who the culprit/culprits were but who ever it was may be in serious need of medical intervention or a the very least a visit from Dynarod,when the final curtain came down on the Vic & we cut our way out of the Fart Fog & hit the Main Arena via Stinky Street I bump into Jenny Banks & Tracy,"Don't get too drunk" I say to Tracy,she burst into song with"I'm doing fine now,ow,ow" & I reply with,"I'm doing wine now,ow,ow, with Jenny Baby, I'm doing wine now,ow,ow,at least 3 bottles matey", as they stumble into the distance & no, Roger & I never once came out in matching shirtstongue.gif .Time to people watch & my God theres plenty to watch, this year is exceptional for off kilter people with Maniac Magican, Bell Ringer & Popeye the Sailor Woman, toot toot!!!!!!! to name but a few, eventually we tire of the Oldies, so to bed as it's a long drive home in a few hours.hypo.gif

9am Monday,time to do the "Did you see" drive home with Companions Col & Shirl,load up the car with even more than we arrived with,how do you manage that????? The journey home turns into a riot of laughter & impressions & "Did you see" plus a promise to do it all over again & not stop till we drop, I've done well I've got fluid on my lung,Gail's got a bad neck,we managed three cooked meals & a breakfast & we're actually taking some Becks home & Wine,told you we would,now wheres that receiptlaugh.gif ,plus it'll take us till Thursday at least to return to humanity & normality,why do we do it????? Because we bloody well love it that's why,bring on Legends!!!!!!

Take care,be safe & remember,"Something keeps calling me back,my feet just follow the track,they keep walking back to tears & pain",

Spot.shades.gif

p.s. How could I forget Tortured Soul who were excellent & warrant a return, I'm so naughty to forget I'll have to whip myself with a wet shoe lace nowyes.gif .

Edited by spot

Operation Prestatyn Philibuster was up& running early this time round.Gail had started squirrelling away garments & drinks etc from the Monday onwards in the front bedroom & all laid out like a Regimental Sergeant Majors billet & just as untouchable,so by Wednesday I was down to the raggy frayed 70's bri-nylon candy striped shreddies:blush: ,which is not a pretty sight, I can assure you,but the Emperors clothes are sacred now & cannot make an appearance till Thursday evening, just like your not allowed to use the loo after it's been cleaned,Why? Cos I've just cleaned it, that's why!!!Womens logic me thinks, I digress sorry.Thurs 3.30pm I return from work to the heady aroma of Chilli & Shepherds Pie wafting through the house as they cooled in readiness for the weekends gastronomic delights & enough bags,holdalls & boxes to make me think we're in serious financial difficulties & just one step ahead of the bailiffs, when in actuality it's just enough provisions to brave four days as Prisoners of Prestatyn Penitentiary & Pleasure Park. So the beast of burdens loaded with survival supplies of one litre each of Gin & Vodka,24 Becks,10 Magners for Gail & I,good job we're not big drinkers like some,plus three bottles of wine for any classy friends or people we meet along the way, so a good chance of a full refund on those then when we get home.By 4 all orifices & cubby holes are rammed solid with varying sized items & objects & it's off down the M62 to catch every worker & wa**er in the North of England either entering or exiting Junction 27, closely followed by us all doing the slowest Conga in history through mile upon mile of roadworks:ranting_1: ,God I wish I manufactured cones, we collect Col & Shirl who have just about finished their course of intensive aversion therapy & regressive hypnotherapy for post traumatic stress symptoms & are doing fine,now I face my nemesis, the Hill that Kills at their front door(Bloody Hell it's long & steep,had I realised when auditioning for Cool Running 2 "Aircraft Audi Astronauts,there's no place like snow",my dark leather seats may have been a shade or two darker, as would my Calvins & I'm sure our lasses waters would have broken & she's not even pregnant:huh: ) "This is Major Tom to Brown control,I'm sh***ing through the door & I'm floating in a most peculiar way", You betcha Bowie!!

Part two of the life & times of a luggage loaders life & how to lay a load of old bags in the back of your motor with ease & not forgetting the Greetland Gringo's, Col & Shirl "Nearly ready" Wood, now all the usual ballast is on board it feels like Prestatyn bound & gagged, back into the breech we go & make remarkable time into Welsh Wales to my suprise of the trip, a stop over in Mold (Stop laughing at the back) & a feast at the "Hot Wok",probably the best idea I've had all year other than denying Gail my Bank pin number, fabulous Thai/Chinese fusion food in elegant surroundings,an ambience of chic & directly across from the cop shop, so your cars safe, or as they say in Wales "Heddlu" or is it "Pingu"?Never sure!!:chinstroke:

Touch down ground zero 9.40 after receiving meeting point details from Kev(Ranger) & Pauline plus local activity reports from Dave Rivers & Steph,so after swearing an oath of alliegance to Pontins & promising the Gateman we won't desert to Billy Butlins we collect our survival packs from reception,where we bump into Edwina from Bradford who we hardly recognise, cos it's been that long & she's sporting straight hair,then it's Buffalo gal's go around the outside,around the outside & dozy doh your partner,till you stumble upon your bunk somewhere in Charlie Bravo sector,you need an Orienteering degree to use those maps.Now priorities after leccy on, Men:Beer & Bog,Ladies: Luggage & Lippy, then it's out to the Vic as quick as you can say, "Rent mans here Mam" but it's deserted except for our car crew & Kev & Pauline, so it's forward to Fun & Friends in the Main Arena where I spy my favourite Barnsley Beauty & a damn fine Lady, Joy with not only the No1 smiliest(and Flappiest) Dj in Britain"The Yockster" but daughter & boyfriend along,so best behaviour,not you kids,you two Mr & Mrs,so a shake of Yocky's hand then my customary Big Mama Hug & Kiss from Joy & off I skip as Happy as Larry for the night.Already making Merry in the Main room are;Snowy & Bride to be Lynne,the Backbeat Backwall Bunch Jen & Roger Banks,the jolly jelly people Geoff & Sue Claxton with Ged Parker, coralled in the Dj pen are the East Coast Castaways of Rupe,Hobbo,Mak & Daddy Dave Raistrick together with Andy & Deb Riley,Mr MaC & Hell on wheels Halina & it was so good to see them,my good mates Dave & Steph, the Lusher than Lush Michelle & the original Five Fingered Fishermans Fillet Fiddler from Grimsby,Cheeky Chops Chappers,also in the locality were Andy D,Ian Dewhirst,Neil Rushton whose book "Northern Soul Stories, Angst & Acetates" is a worthy read & an insight into the germination & growth of this scene,John"Tash"Weston,Mr Dobson,Little Kim,Gaz Farrington with Linda somewhere out on the floor,before I head for my bunk at 11.30'ish(I'm knackered I've been driving all day,ok!!) I hear JT can't make it due to a race & a Gymkhana,no don't laugh now,it may be a very important event in the Smokes social calendar & I'm sure he looks delightful in Jodhpurs with crop in hand down at the Blue Oyster Bar after sunset.whistling Well JT your loss cos you missed a blinder, Hi Ho Silver away!!!!!!! Gail was kindly chaperoned back at 2.30'ish by Dave & Steph whilst I belched & farted my way to oblivion & beyond throughout the night & into the morrow.

Friday Morn 8.30 it's wide awake club,bacon butty & tea,call to Kev to se if they in land of living,appears Pauline has a sore head from the inside out & won't be available till 11.30, so seeing as we've not seen the Beach or Town, infact none of Wales other than the inner surrounds of the complex & our allotted chalet, we decide to yomp along the seafront but soon realise it extends all the way to Rhyl some 5 miles:ohmy: ,we do manage a good long head clearing walk though & on returning bump into Ali & Chrissy who are here with Mikey,Twinnie & Bev.Breakfast time in the Bistro of Barf where I explain to two of the Hesitations what Black Pudding is & consists of,the look of sheer dread on their faces was a picture to behold, "Who you here to see", "The Hesitations", "We're the Hesitations", "Yes I know", "NO REALLY WE ARE THE HESITATIONS", "No REALLY I know you are",they seemed a little disappointed in the numbers here, so I explain how Saturday would be different & how they'd "FEEL THE LUV" on stage,they looked at me as if they'd met an institute escapee, they invited us to join the entourage to finish breakfast but looked mightily relieved:sweatingbullets: when we declined due to other plans.Now we got the wanderlust bug & we're up for owt, so into Kev & Paulines car & into the Town,Then off to the faded Grandeur of Rhyl, it's Harbour & Marina followed by a magical mystery tour around & about before heading off for a £3.59 Carvery & boy was it good,btw how many caravan sites & sales rooms are there on that road,it's wall to wall statics.Back at the Bat Cave its time for R&R plus time for the Chunk of Carvery to settle a little:cheese: before the festivities begin in earnest & the majority of Soulies arrive.9pm it's off to the Vic to join the throng,the place is already busy with plenty of faces about including;Soulgirl & Little Lovely Lottie,Pete Hullat & Denise,Stu Cheetham & Katie,Steve P,Sharon & Lydia,Lynn & Jimmy,Dave Abbot(My partner in pain) & Deb,ace music played in Vic all weekend but stand out for me was Stu Cheetham,Johnny Weston & Karl Rhodes, room to room I wandered letting all the genres of music wash over me whilst stopping occasionally to say "Hi" or chat to such eminent people as; Billy & Lovely Nita, The Count(I think that's what Jean calls him) & Countess of Conisborough & my great mates Nell & Jean,Nicola & Gilly who appeared to be checking out every exit for the best smoke zone,Melv fom Edinburgh,Jane & Pip,Kev Joss & Lesley,Bearsoul,Geoff,Steve Green & Vicky(Who totally forgot who,what & where she knew me from,I've got feelings you know) ,John Mc & Jen,Nadine & Fred Krol,Prestatyn virgo intacto Simon "Imberboy",President of Prescot Mike Cog & Jan,Mick H with Nottinghams answer to Nellie Pledge & Mrs Slocombe's pussy,Dippy & Lippy aka Grotty & Snotty,Mandy & Wendy,also the 6-8 Radioheads Steve L,Kev H & Dean ably chaperoned by Big Paul btw lads,I couldn't care less if it was played at Obama's inauguration never mind Wigan "Gypsy" is sh**e,Progressive Rock to me,pass us me Loones & Fruit of the Loom Grandad shirt I feel a Festival coming on & Dr Bob nobody can or ever will compare to Marvin Gaye vocally & defo not the track you played,although very nice,no way,no how I'm afraid:no: .

Off to the Modern room for "Smoke" Howard & well worth the visit but after waiting almost an hour for the Stars of the show to grace us with their presence on stage(Also heard they never made the interview for radio, bet they remembered to pick up their wages though) I decided to make my exit,the rooms unique Soul Scent being a deciding factor, exuding a pungent aroma of Linford Christies Athletes Crotch after running the heats & final of the 100 metres in an 8 hour period:swoon: ,so House of Soul here we come & what an inspired choice,Tats played a stonking set & Arthur came in a close second,back to Main room & after 20 minutes or so of Oldies it's time to rest my weary head so we can make Boomerang Showcase saturday afternoon.

Up & at 'em again in the Modern room by 2pm Saturday afternoon with "Our Vicky" & Kev,Steve Heywood,Steve"oxo" & Annette,Kev,Pauline & Kenny,Pete Burk(Karen can't make it she's not at all well:no: ),before the sunsets over the yard arm I've seen the Hardcores of Soul,Nita & Eddie,Joan & Tony,Big Ian, Zurich Steve,Nesta,Shorny(I'm tired luv) & Jane,Big Roger,Sergeant Peppers,Chris & Ingrid,Kit & Kaz,Harpo & Sandi,Jill & Ross,not forgetting the Gastronomes of Soul, Nige & Carms,also Joey Dunlop who managed the full weekend for the first time:laugh: ,the author cannot be held liable for any glaring omissions,misrepresentations,out & out lies,hearsay or conjecture & if I missed you,I'm truly sorry but it's only my ramblings.

Anyway Boomerang Showcase was excellent & it showed it's the quality of the music that counts when Cliff Steele played Mega rare King George followed by £30 Chimes,both superb tunes.I particularly enjoyed Dave Ripoles but I couldn't fault the whole afternoon & the numbers in the room for an afternoon session was the most I've seen,so obviously they were of the same opinion , as I left the building I glanced into the House of Soul were it was Jazz time, not my thing at all but the two guys dancing could lay down a hell of a lick, I was sweating just watching:sweatingbullets:.

Quick kip,shower,Shepherds Pie which Gail insists on forcing on Dave & Steph, cos it lines your stomach you know,then it's back to the Vic through sock sweat avenue & into Carl & Maria's with the Attic boys & Dale, the line up in here tonight is the Who's Who of Rare Soul & for a lot the main reason for being here.I spy Jo Brock whom I'm told is with Sian & Dean (Rugby Soul Soul Club),time to introduce myself,"Sian?","Yes!!","Spot", pause,total silence & a look of utter bewilderment,"Hi I'm Spot",no not working,lights are on but no ones home look still,"GPS Satellite tracking system on your band so I could find you & say Hello",Mork calling Orson,come in Orson,PLEASE!!!:hypo: Still a look as if I'm talking in tongues until Dean rescues my red face & stumbling tongue,!It's SPOT" & suddenly the lights are back on & Sian realises I'm not a vagrant looking for a free bed or the local nutter just wandering around shouting random words & annoying people,although I'm sure I do.:shhh:

Showtime people, so off to the main arena, quick "Hello's" to Ginger,Bob & Tim Brown as I join the masses to listen to Mr Barnes(Not Cliff) laying his final layer of other side hurt on us,Mary Love turning everyones bitter into sweet as she lays her burden down,the mountain that is Kenny Hamber giving us everything & anything we want, cos he's still never found a girl,topped of with no Hesitation cos they're not built that way,what a showcase,what a night although I must say the Soul Superman look doesn't quite cut it on the older gents physique but they all did us proud & I'm afraid there won't be to many more nights like that as time marches on for the artists,so enjoy whilst we & they can & a big thank you to John & Mark for making it possible for us to witness these happenings:thumbup: .

Note of the weekend,there seemed to be an inordinent number of tall people there or are some of us shrinking fast,also we seemed to be plagued with hats, it must have been Head wear weekend as I've never seen as many titfer's in one place at the same time & I'm sure I spotted 2007 Eurovision failures Schooch in the house in jolly Pale Blue & white trimmed Aircrew uniforms, What's it all about????Cos I ain't got a clue,have you??:chinstroke:

Back to Carl & Maria's where we're like kids let loose in a candy shop, musically superb but I'm afraid my hearing gives in as House of Soul is on Jumbo Jet engine overhead volume plus & it's distorting the Music in there,so it's into Cat P*ss Corner with Mick H,Mandy,Cog & Jan,Steph,Dolly,Joey & friends for something a bit more Modern & audible,after an hour or so it's Goodnight/Good Morning to all & we're ready to hit the pit to recuperate before Slowdown Sunday but not before spying Ronnie McNair making a flying visit whilst over here on tour. You can hear the steady thump thump thump of the base line from the House of Soul all the way back in our chalet which is practically on the beach,so maybe just a tad too loud lads,eh??

We awake to Seagull Sunday afternoon & their incessant squawking which goes right through you like fingernails on a blackboard & sounds like a child crying or someone screaming at times but this could all end soon as a couple of lads after playing football decide it's time to wage war on the feathered foe & they become Masai Warriors of Wales by luring them in with stale sandwiches then trying to harpoon them with homemade spears whilst they feast but the Sh*t Machines of the Sky are too long in the tooth & exceptional at scramble starts to avoid missiles,so it's plan B for the Welsh Wellington Bombers, leaving food out in the open in plain view & hiding around the corner of the nearest block until the birds land to feed & settle down with full gullets then it's a go go go & pounce,sorry no luck there either,the fowl have more patience than it's foe & wait till they leave before feasting on the titbits, and they say humans are the most intelligent animals on the Planet,well not in Wales they aren't!!!!!!

Sunday night is laidback in the Vic with Pete Hullat & Denise,Soulgirl & Lottie,Kev & Pauline,Oxo & Annette,Col & Shirl,Dave & Steph plus the flatulent four of Mr Weston,Rimmer,Parker & Claxton, the juries still out on who the culprit/culprits were but who ever it was may be in serious need of medical intervention or a the very least a visit from Dynarod,when the final curtain came down on the Vic & we cut our way out of the Fart Fog & hit the Main Arena via Stinky Street I bump into Jenny Banks & Tracy,"Don't get too drunk" I say to Tracy,she burst into song with"I'm doing fine now,ow,ow" & I reply with,"I'm doing wine now,ow,ow, with Jenny Baby, I'm doing wine now,ow,ow,at least 3 bottles matey", as they stumble into the distance & no, Roger & I never once came out in matching shirts:tongue: .Time to people watch & my God theres plenty to watch, this year is exceptional for off kilter people with Maniac Magican, Bell Ringer & Popeye the Sailor Woman, toot toot!!!!!!! to name but a few, eventually we tire of the Oldies, so to bed as it's a long drive home in a few hours.:hypo:

9am Monday,time to do the "Did you see" drive home with Companions Col & Shirl,load up the car with even more than we arrived with,how do you manage that????? The journey home turns into a riot of laughter & impressions & "Did you see" plus a promise to do it all over again & not stop till we drop, I've done well I've got fluid on my lung,Gail's got a bad neck,we managed three cooked meals & a breakfast & we're actually taking some Becks home & Wine,told you we would,now wheres that receipt:laugh: ,plus it'll take us till Thursday at least to return to humanity & normality,why do we do it????? Because we bloody well love it that's why,bring on Legends!!!!!!

Take care,be safe & remember,"Something keeps calling me back,my feet just follow the track,they keep walking back to tears & pain",

Spot.shades

p.s. How could I forget Tortured Soul who were excellent & warrant a return, I'm so naughty to forget I'll have to whip myself with a wet shoe lace now:yes: .

Er yeh Pete that roughly sums it up in breif! :laugh:

Another brilliant time had by all, From the uptempo rare vein in th pub fri afternoon to the Karl & Maria room which took no prisoners. I heard sum fantastic sets thumbsup.gif

The Turns wer brilliant,well rehearsed and delivered everything that was excpeteted in a true professional vibe,and considering there all well into there 60s plus they never dropped a note!!

A big thanx to all who took part and making it the soul mecca in the country :hatsoff2:

Mike & Jan Cog

it's hard to believe a week ago we were getting ready for the live acts in the main hall :sad:

Anyway I've finally managed to load my photo's from the event. I took over 300 shots and spent all week getting down to the final few I wanted to share. I hope I've managed to capture some of the magic many of you have put into words so eloquently on this thread.

Please feel free to leave me comments, it helps me to get better with my chosen artform :smile:

I hope you enjoy

Martyn

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=16354&do=view_album&album=3745

Operation Prestatyn Philibuster was up& running early this time round.Gail had started squirrelling away garments & drinks etc from the Monday onwards in the front bedroom & all laid out like a Regimental Sergeant Majors billet & just as untouchable,so by Wednesday I was down to the raggy frayed 70's bri-nylon candy striped shreddiesblush.gif ,which is not a pretty sight, I can assure you,but the Emperors clothes are sacred now & cannot make an appearance till Thursday evening, just like your not allowed to use the loo after it's been cleaned,Why? Cos I've just cleaned it, that's why!!!Womens logic me thinks, I digress sorry.Thurs 3.30pm I return from work to the heady aroma of Chilli & Shepherds Pie wafting through the house as they cooled in readiness for the weekends gastronomic delights & enough bags,holdalls & boxes to make me think we're in serious financial difficulties & just one step ahead of the bailiffs, when in actuality it's just enough provisions to brave four days as Prisoners of Prestatyn Penitentiary & Pleasure Park. So the beast of burdens loaded with survival supplies of one litre each of Gin & Vodka,24 Becks,10 Magners for Gail & I,good job we're not big drinkers like some,plus three bottles of wine for any classy friends or people we meet along the way, so a good chance of a full refund on those then when we get home.By 4 all orifices & cubby holes are rammed solid with varying sized items & objects & it's off down the M62 to catch every worker & wa**er in the North of England either entering or exiting Junction 27, closely followed by us all doing the slowest Conga in history through mile upon mile of roadworksranting_1.gif ,God I wish I manufactured cones, we collect Col & Shirl who have just about finished their course of intensive aversion therapy & regressive hypnotherapy for post traumatic stress symptoms & are doing fine,now I face my nemesis, the Hill that Kills at their front door(Bloody Hell it's long & steep,had I realised when auditioning for Cool Running 2 "Aircraft Audi Astronauts,there's no place like snow",my dark leather seats may have been a shade or two darker, as would my Calvins & I'm sure our lasses waters would have broken & she's not even pregnanthuh.gif ) "This is Major Tom to Brown control,I'm sh***ing through the door & I'm floating in a most peculiar way", You betcha Bowie!!

Part two of the life & times of a luggage loaders life & how to lay a load of old bags in the back of your motor with ease & not forgetting the Greetland Gringo's, Col & Shirl "Nearly ready" Wood, now all the usual ballast is on board it feels like Prestatyn bound & gagged, back into the breech we go & make remarkable time into Welsh Wales to my suprise of the trip, a stop over in Mold (Stop laughing at the back) & a feast at the "Hot Wok",probably the best idea I've had all year other than denying Gail my Bank pin number, fabulous Thai/Chinese fusion food in elegant surroundings,an ambience of chic & directly across from the cop shop, so your cars safe, or as they say in Wales "Heddlu" or is it "Pingu"?Never sure!!g.gif

Touch down ground zero 9.40 after receiving meeting point details from Kev(Ranger) & Pauline plus local activity reports from Dave Rivers & Steph,so after swearing an oath of alliegance to Pontins & promising the Gateman we won't desert to Billy Butlins we collect our survival packs from reception,where we bump into Edwina from Bradford who we hardly recognise, cos it's been that long & she's sporting straight hair,then it's Buffalo gal's go around the outside,around the outside & dozy doh your partner,till you stumble upon your bunk somewhere in Charlie Bravo sector,you need an Orienteering degree to use those maps.Now priorities after leccy on, Men:Beer & Bog,Ladies: Luggage & Lippy, then it's out to the Vic as quick as you can say, "Rent mans here Mam" but it's deserted except for our car crew & Kev & Pauline, so it's forward to Fun & Friends in the Main Arena where I spy my favourite Barnsley Beauty & a damn fine Lady, Joy with not only the No1 smiliest(and Flappiest) Dj in Britain"The Yockster" but daughter & boyfriend along,so best behaviour,not you kids,you two Mr & Mrs,so a shake of Yocky's hand then my customary Big Mama Hug & Kiss from Joy & off I skip as Happy as Larry for the night.Already making Merry in the Main room are;Snowy & Bride to be Lynne,the Backbeat Backwall Bunch Jen & Roger Banks,the jolly jelly people Geoff & Sue Claxton with Ged Parker, coralled in the Dj pen are the East Coast Castaways of Rupe,Hobbo,Mak & Daddy Dave Raistrick together with Andy & Deb Riley,Mr MaC & Hell on wheels Halina & it was so good to see them,my good mates Dave & Steph, the Lusher than Lush Michelle & the original Five Fingered Fishermans Fillet Fiddler from Grimsby,Cheeky Chops Chappers,also in the locality were Andy D,Ian Dewhirst,Neil Rushton whose book "Northern Soul Stories, Angst & Acetates" is a worthy read & an insight into the germination & growth of this scene,John"Tash"Weston,Mr Dobson,Little Kim,Gaz Farrington with Linda somewhere out on the floor,before I head for my bunk at 11.30'ish(I'm knackered I've been driving all day,ok!!) I hear JT can't make it due to a race & a Gymkhana,no don't laugh now,it may be a very important event in the Smokes social calendar & I'm sure he looks delightful in Jodhpurs with crop in hand down at the Blue Oyster Bar after sunset.whistling.gif Well JT your loss cos you missed a blinder, Hi Ho Silver away!!!!!!! Gail was kindly chaperoned back at 2.30'ish by Dave & Steph whilst I belched & farted my way to oblivion & beyond throughout the night & into the morrow.

Friday Morn 8.30 it's wide awake club,bacon butty & tea,call to Kev to se if they in land of living,appears Pauline has a sore head from the inside out & won't be available till 11.30, so seeing as we've not seen the Beach or Town, infact none of Wales other than the inner surrounds of the complex & our allotted chalet, we decide to yomp along the seafront but soon realise it extends all the way to Rhyl some 5 milesohmy.gif ,we do manage a good long head clearing walk though & on returning bump into Ali & Chrissy who are here with Mikey,Twinnie & Bev.Breakfast time in the Bistro of Barf where I explain to two of the Hesitations what Black Pudding is & consists of,the look of sheer dread on their faces was a picture to behold, "Who you here to see", "The Hesitations", "We're the Hesitations", "Yes I know", "NO REALLY WE ARE THE HESITATIONS", "No REALLY I know you are",they seemed a little disappointed in the numbers here, so I explain how Saturday would be different & how they'd "FEEL THE LUV" on stage,they looked at me as if they'd met an institute escapee, they invited us to join the entourage to finish breakfast but looked mightily relievedsweatingbullets.gif when we declined due to other plans.Now we got the wanderlust bug & we're up for owt, so into Kev & Paulines car & into the Town,Then off to the faded Grandeur of Rhyl, it's Harbour & Marina followed by a magical mystery tour around & about before heading off for a £3.59 Carvery & boy was it good,btw how many caravan sites & sales rooms are there on that road,it's wall to wall statics.Back at the Bat Cave its time for R&R plus time for the Chunk of Carvery to settle a littlecheese1.gif before the festivities begin in earnest & the majority of Soulies arrive.9pm it's off to the Vic to join the throng,the place is already busy with plenty of faces about including;Soulgirl & Little Lovely Lottie,Pete Hullat & Denise,Stu Cheetham & Katie,Steve P,Sharon & Lydia,Lynn & Jimmy,Dave Abbot(My partner in pain) & Deb,ace music played in Vic all weekend but stand out for me was Stu Cheetham,Johnny Weston & Karl Rhodes, room to room I wandered letting all the genres of music wash over me whilst stopping occasionally to say "Hi" or chat to such eminent people as; Billy & Lovely Nita, The Count(I think that's what Jean calls him) & Countess of Conisborough & my great mates Nell & Jean,Nicola & Gilly who appeared to be checking out every exit for the best smoke zone,Melv fom Edinburgh,Jane & Pip,Kev Joss & Lesley,Bearsoul,Geoff,Steve Green & Vicky(Who totally forgot who,what & where she knew me from,I've got feelings you know) ,John Mc & Jen,Nadine & Fred Krol,Prestatyn virgo intacto Simon "Imberboy",President of Prescot Mike Cog & Jan,Mick H with Nottinghams answer to Nellie Pledge & Mrs Slocombe's pussy,Dippy & Lippy aka Grotty & Snotty,Mandy & Wendy,also the 6-8 Radioheads Steve L,Kev H & Dean ably chaperoned by Big Paul btw lads,I couldn't care less if it was played at Obama's inauguration never mind Wigan "Gypsy" is sh**e,Progressive Rock to me,pass us me Loones & Fruit of the Loom Grandad shirt I feel a Festival coming on & Dr Bob nobody can or ever will compare to Marvin Gaye vocally & defo not the track you played,although very nice,no way,no how I'm afraidno.gif .

Off to the Modern room for "Smoke" Howard & well worth the visit but after waiting almost an hour for the Stars of the show to grace us with their presence on stage(Also heard they never made the interview for radio, bet they remembered to pick up their wages though) I decided to make my exit,the rooms unique Soul Scent being a deciding factor, exuding a pungent aroma of Linford Christies Athletes Crotch after running the heats & final of the 100 metres in an 8 hour periodswoon.gif ,so House of Soul here we come & what an inspired choice,Tats played a stonking set & Arthur came in a close second,back to Main room & after 20 minutes or so of Oldies it's time to rest my weary head so we can make Boomerang Showcase saturday afternoon.

Up & at 'em again in the Modern room by 2pm Saturday afternoon with "Our Vicky" & Kev,Steve Heywood,Steve"oxo" & Annette,Kev,Pauline & Kenny,Pete Burk(Karen can't make it she's not at all wellno.gif ),before the sunsets over the yard arm I've seen the Hardcores of Soul,Nita & Eddie,Joan & Tony,Big Ian, Zurich Steve,Nesta,Shorny(I'm tired luv) & Jane,Big Roger,Sergeant Peppers,Chris & Ingrid,Kit & Kaz,Harpo & Sandi,Jill & Ross,not forgetting the Gastronomes of Soul, Nige & Carms,also Joey Dunlop who managed the full weekend for the first timelaugh.gif ,the author cannot be held liable for any glaring omissions,misrepresentations,out & out lies,hearsay or conjecture & if I missed you,I'm truly sorry but it's only my ramblings.

Anyway Boomerang Showcase was excellent & it showed it's the quality of the music that counts when Cliff Steele played Mega rare King George followed by £30 Chimes,both superb tunes.I particularly enjoyed Dave Ripoles but I couldn't fault the whole afternoon & the numbers in the room for an afternoon session was the most I've seen,so obviously they were of the same opinion , as I left the building I glanced into the House of Soul were it was Jazz time, not my thing at all but the two guys dancing could lay down a hell of a lick, I was sweating just watchingsweatingbullets.gif.

Quick kip,shower,Shepherds Pie which Gail insists on forcing on Dave & Steph, cos it lines your stomach you know,then it's back to the Vic through sock sweat avenue & into Carl & Maria's with the Attic boys & Dale, the line up in here tonight is the Who's Who of Rare Soul & for a lot the main reason for being here.I spy Jo Brock whom I'm told is with Sian & Dean (Rugby Soul Soul Club),time to introduce myself,"Sian?","Yes!!","Spot", pause,total silence & a look of utter bewilderment,"Hi I'm Spot",no not working,lights are on but no ones home look still,"GPS Satellite tracking system on your band so I could find you & say Hello",Mork calling Orson,come in Orson,PLEASE!!!hypo.gif Still a look as if I'm talking in tongues until Dean rescues my red face & stumbling tongue,!It's SPOT" & suddenly the lights are back on & Sian realises I'm not a vagrant looking for a free bed or the local nutter just wandering around shouting random words & annoying people,although I'm sure I do.shhh.gif

Showtime people, so off to the main arena, quick "Hello's" to Ginger,Bob & Tim Brown as I join the masses to listen to Mr Barnes(Not Cliff) laying his final layer of other side hurt on us,Mary Love turning everyones bitter into sweet as she lays her burden down,the mountain that is Kenny Hamber giving us everything & anything we want, cos he's still never found a girl,topped of with no Hesitation cos they're not built that way,what a showcase,what a night although I must say the Soul Superman look doesn't quite cut it on the older gents physique but they all did us proud & I'm afraid there won't be to many more nights like that as time marches on for the artists,so enjoy whilst we & they can & a big thank you to John & Mark for making it possible for us to witness these happeningsthumbup.gif .

Note of the weekend,there seemed to be an inordinent number of tall people there or are some of us shrinking fast,also we seemed to be plagued with hats, it must have been Head wear weekend as I've never seen as many titfer's in one place at the same time & I'm sure I spotted 2007 Eurovision failures Schooch in the house in jolly Pale Blue & white trimmed Aircrew uniforms, What's it all about????Cos I ain't got a clue,have you??g.gif

Sunday night is laidback in the Vic with Pete Hullat & Denise,Soulgirl & Lottie,Kev & Pauline,Oxo & Annette,Col & Shirl,Dave & Steph plus the flatulent four of Mr Weston,Rimmer,Parker & Claxton, the juries still out on who the culprit/culprits were but who ever it was may be in serious need of medical intervention or a the very least a visit from Dynarod,when the final curtain came down on the Vic & we cut our way out of the Fart Fog & hit the Main Arena via Stinky Street I bump into Jenny Banks & Tracy,"Don't get too drunk" I say to Tracy,she burst into song with"I'm doing fine now,ow,ow" & I reply with,"I'm doing wine now,ow,ow, with Jenny Baby, I'm doing wine now,ow,ow,at least 3 bottles matey", as they stumble into the distance & no, Roger & I never once came out in matching shirtstongue.gif .Time to people watch & my God theres plenty to watch, this year is exceptional for off kilter people with Maniac Magican, Bell Ringer & Popeye the Sailor Woman, toot toot!!!!!!! to name but a few, eventually we tire of the Oldies, so to bed as it's a long drive home in a few hours.hypo.gif

9am Monday,time to do the "Did you see" drive home with Companions Col & Shirl,load up the car with even more than we arrived with,how do you manage that????? The journey home turns into a riot of laughter & impressions & "Did you see" plus a promise to do it all over again & not stop till we drop, I've done well I've got fluid on my lung,Gail's got a bad neck,we managed three cooked meals & a breakfast & we're actually taking some Becks home & Wine,told you we would,now wheres that receiptlaugh.gif ,plus it'll take us till Thursday at least to return to humanity & normality,why do we do it????? Because we bloody well love it that's why,bring on Legends!!!!!!

Spot.shades.gif

p.s. How could I forget Tortured Soul who were excellent & warrant a return, I'm so naughty to forget I'll have to whip myself with a wet shoe lace nowyes.gif .

Brilliant as usual Spot!!!.In brief then - i wor awreet.laugh.gif .

Col and Shirl were setting off the fire alarms as well.Couldn't get me beauty sleep.Rumour has it they were grilling Seagull.Spirit had a good time as well,attention seeker that he is.biggrin.gif .Broke the fridge door,locked himself in his bedroom shally (chalet),and also set off the fire alarms.All in the first hour.

Sorry about "Gypsy".The offender has been warned.smile.gif

Guest Brigid

Been thinking all afternoon of what I was doing this time last week, enjoying great company with great music in the background and eventually had the last dance of the weekend. Thanks to the organisers. For me Friday night (oldies allnighter in Redemtion) even though the floor might not have been perfect, did not stop a brilliant night of dancing; then Sunday afternoon/evening were brilliant. Thanks to all the people I met for enhancing my weekend!

Brigid

Guest Imogen

This was my 4th Prestatyn weekender and yet again really enjoyed myself. I thought the live acts were outstanding although my favourites had to be Kenny Bobien, Smoke and Kenny Hamber.

Normally I spend most of my time floating about the Modern room so this year I thought I'd give the Redemption room a go. I was impressed with the music in there and thought that John Weston and Paul Hulatt's sets were quality.

Really enjoyed my time in the radio room and especially enjoyed Chris Dalton's show. Really lovely music from a really lovely man. Look forward to the October one. The Tavares should be worth the trip. thumbsup.gif

See you there

Imogen

My apologies for being late in reporting on the Prestatyn weekender, just been busy.

I travelled up with Paul McKay from Euston by train with one change at Chester, a pleasant uneventful journey. After stocking up with a few essentials at the Prestatyn Spar we got a taxi to the Pontins holiday camp. An officious guard (nicknamed Herr Flick) asked if we'd informed them we were arriving early and that we may have to pay for the extra night. Not had that before and in the event all was well.

We picked up our wristbands and made our way to our "club class chalet". Actually it wasn't bad, I think the fact that the weather was fairly mild for the time of year helped. Anyone who knows what it's like there when it is really cold knows what I mean.

Our friend from south Wales, Martin arrived a bit later and after eating we strolled over to the entertainment area. There was only music in the main room, and it was much busier than last year. Unfortunately, for me, the music was mainly classic oldies. The only time I felt the urge to get out on the dance floor was when the Magnetics' Lady In Green was played, however I was at the bar buying drinks, the usual story.

Martin stayed later than us, and Paul got up to go to the toilet at about 4.30 and found Martin asleep in a chair in the living area. He woke him up and pointed him towards his bedroom. It transpired that he'd phoned his wife up at 4 am to tell her he was having a good time; he only learned he'd done this when he phoned her later on Friday. She was not amused as she had to be up at 6 am.

Got up and had breakfast, Paul does nice scrambled eggs, plus bacon, sausage and toast. Then we strolled over to the Queen Vic where there was a "Middleton" showcase. Absolutely excellent, just my kind of soul music. Paul and I spent a good part of the day there, Martin was in the main room most of the time, he likes his oldies, I said he was in a time warp but it was only banter.

We then went into the House Of Soul where Crossover was being played by Ivor Jones, Cliff Steele, Dave Rippolles, Tats Taylor and Soul Sam. Again some great music was played.

I went back to the main room and I waited for Butch's set knowing that at least he'd play some of the tunes that might get me out to dance. And he did, Joseph Webster, Parliaments, Johnny Howard, My Salvation, Willie Tee's You Gonna Pay Some Dues and other favourites from the 100 Club and other places. He did play some oldies, Mary Love's You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet, Lay My Burdens Down and Martha & The Vandellas' Nowhere To Run.

I went back to the House Of Soul but decided to go to bed as I was tired, I'd been drinking and it has a soporific effect on me. Had a bad night though.

Martin, who'd been to the oldies all-nighter in the Redemption room, came in much later than Paul and me, Paul got up at 10 am to use the toilet, he couldn't get in as the door was locked. Martin had fallen asleep on the toilet, Paul wasn't too happy about that. Martin's wife told me on the phone that he always does that on holiday, a long suffering woman.

After breakfast, including fried eggs cooked by me, and only 1 yolk broken, we went across to the Modern room where there was a Boomerang special featuring Maria O, Arthur Fenn, Cliff Steele, Dave Rippolles and Soul Sam. As Boomerang is my favourite club it was paradise for me. Lovely music. Then into the Redemption room for the Carl and Maria Willingham session. More good music, not the same old same old.

We went into the main room for the live acts and got down the front. However it was really hot where we stood. The acts were all good, Sidney Barnes (You'll Always Be In Style, I Hurt On The Other Side, Standing On Solid Ground); Kenny Hamber (Anything You Want and 2 others I can't remember); Mary Love (Lay My Burdens Down, Come On Out Of The Sandbox, You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet); and the Hesitations. I didn't know any of the songs they sang; think they were off their Soul Superman LP. They didn't sing the one of theirs I really do like, Is That The Way To Treat A Girl, which you hear a lot at Crossover/Modern nights. All the acts were good, and so were the backing band. However the microphone used by the Hesitations' lead singer didn't bring his voice out too well. The crowd gave them all a rousing reception.

Sunday: I got up to meet someone who had a record I was buying, couldn't find them but got it later.

We went into the House Of Soul for the Kings Of Crossover session, great stuff. Arthur Fenn, Cliff Steele, Soul Sam, what more could you want if that's your type of soul. Said farewell to Arthur and Maria who had to leave to go back home.

Then it was on to the Queen Vic for the connoisseurs' session. Some nice music played again including Ella Woods' I Need Your Love, one of my favourites.

When that closed Paul and I went back to the main room. While walking through the Modern room a DJ was playing a re-mix of Michael Jackson's Rock With You, this made Paul walk faster, lol.

However back in the main room it was oldies galore. I'd had a few drinks so in frustration I got up to tunes like You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies and You Hit Me Where You Hurt Me, great records but not my normal dance material. What was I like? Might have been better if I'd gone back to the Modern room where I'm told Soul Sam played a brilliant set.

It ended in the main room at about 3.30 am; last record played was Tobi Legend's immortal Time Will Pass You By. I thought it ended on a fairly low key but maybe that was me. Back to the chalet, had some garlic bread and then off to bed.

I got up early as I had to meet a friend in the cafe to swap some records. Then it was a case of packing and leaving to get our train at 1.05 pm. I arrived home at about 4.45 which isn't too bad. Slept well that night.

It was great to see so many friends from all over the country. There are enough rooms to please most people, but I do think there could be better use of the main room. When I went in 2004 and 2005 I'm sure there was a better variety played there; but it may just have been when I was in there or when I walked by. The dance floor was busy most of the time so obviously there were many who were happy with the music.

I enjoyed the music when I was in the Queen Vic, but it's frustrating to hear music that you can't really dance comfortably too; in there you have everyone staring at you if you get up to dance, slightly off-putting for me at least.

But to be fair it's a massive undertaking for the organisers, so must not be too critical.

I enjoyed it and we have booked up for next year.

Alot of opinions have been expressed since the weekend, and as with any event we've put on there - we'll take time to reflect, consider and try and improve where we think we can on several fronts for the next event.

Fish & John

Have you reflected yet?

Would like to hear your thoughts about the other tent spoiling peoples enjoyment in Carl and Maria's room.

Have you reflected yet?

Would like to hear your thoughts about the other tent spoiling peoples enjoyment in Carl and Maria's room.

Joan it wasnt the other tent it was the other room, i at first thought it was until i went in there and checked and the thumpy thumpy we were hearing was coming from the bigger room:angry:

Joan it wasnt the other tent it was the other room, i at first thought it was until i went in there and checked and the thumpy thumpy we were hearing was coming from the bigger room:angry:

Really? Well, where ever it came from it needs sorting as it was totally unacceptable.

You can bet if the Redemption room was the one causing the problem it would get sorted straight away.

Really? Well, where ever it came from it needs sorting as it was totally unacceptable.

You can bet if the Redemption room was the one causing the problem it would get sorted straight away.

I wonder if we'll get an answer or will we have to wait until they're plugging next year's event with assurances that they've sorted out our concerns.

Like politicians at election time, blah, blah.......................

Where's the tumbleweed emoticon when I need it.

John