Antiques Roadshow Eric Knowles

Guest little glyn

Guest little glyn

just listened to mary stokes from radio stoke show with eric knowles from the antiques roadshow discussing northern soul and motown very interesting have a listen thru the internet RADIO STOKE whistling.gif

Edited by little glyn
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I haven't listened to the show but I do know Eric Knowles personally as he was the fellow of my antiques degree course at university.

There was a thread on here a few years back saying how Eric was a northern soul DJ, had an unbelievable record collection and knowledge to match. He hasn't.

I know he hasn't because I asked him.

He has about a hundred 45's and the extent of his northern soul knowledge is Joy Lovejoy and Ramsey Lewis.

That said, he does love R&B and soul music, only not in the same way we do.

He is a lovely, lovely man with the most incredible memory.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

He is a lovely, lovely man with the most incredible memory.

What a shame he wastes it on old pots when he could be doing something useful like remembering the matrix numbers on thousands of 45s :sad:

I agree always come across as a very nice bloke on The Antiques Roadshow, i think mentioned northern soul on there once as well.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

What a shame he wastes it on old pots when he could be doing something useful like remembering the matrix numbers on thousands of 45s sad.gif

I agree always come across as a very nice bloke on The Antiques Roadshow, i think mentioned northern soul on there once as well.

He was involved in the Burnley Cricket Club soul nights circa 70/71 along with a good friend of mine Geoff Salter...who has a cracking record collection....David

Social source share

He was involved in the Burnley Cricket Club soul nights circa 70/71 along with a good friend of mine Geoff Salter...who has a cracking record collection....David

And here is a bit from Frank Elsons Check Out The North, from March 1974, When he gets a mention.

post-1218-12567608407124_thumb.jpg

Paul

Social source share

Guest little glyn

he was once on a show talking about his love of Northern Soul thought everyone knew he liked it

sue

when i started this thread i obviously did NOT know how much or how little he enjoyed n.soul i almost feel guilty for posting something i thought could be of general interest

Social source share

Dont feel guilty for posting. I actually listened to this last night and he admitted he only had a handful of 45's and now bought comp CD's but he did speak with a passion about the Mecca, Catacombs etc etc and the Soul scene in the early 70's.

Wasnt too bad to listen to.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest little glyn

smile.gif

Dont feel guilty for posting. I actually listened to this last night and he admitted he only had a handful of 45's and now bought comp CD's but he did speak with a passion about the Mecca, Catacombs etc etc and the Soul scene in the early 70's.

Wasnt too bad to listen to.

smile.gif thank you for your reply it makes posting feel worthwhile ,as you listen to the interview on radio stoke it is funny trying put a face to a voice that talks with so much enthusiasm about his early n.soul experiences

Social source share

There was a thread on here about this a while ago that said Eric was a DJ at Burnley Cricket Club and that he had a fantastic collection.

I asked him about this and he said he definitely did not run it or DJ, but did say something about a birthday party?

He also said the reason he stopped going to soul do's was because of all the other stuff involved :thumbsup:

I agreed with him of course.

Social source share

when i started this thread i obviously did NOT know how much or how little he enjoyed n.soul i almost feel guilty for posting something i thought could be of general interest

Why feel guilty?

It is of interest. I love talking about soul music and old pots, never happier :thumbsup:

He really does love soul music. He told me he was asked to do Desert Island Discs or a similar radio show and that all the records he chose were soul and R&B.

Like I said, a very interesting man. Maybe we should invite him along to a soul do sometime!

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!