Oldest Photographic Evidence Of Being A Uk Soul Fan?

slimharpo

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Carl Dixon

Love it! Priceless.....Yes, I was dressed like that too. Smart, clean and respectable. I even had leather buttons on my jacket...

Social source share

This is me (the little one) and a mate perusing my Ray Charles albums sometime in'63. Note my 'Dynatron' record player in the background. Anyone got older 'soul' photos or even anything up to '66 ish?

post-430-12568379598026_thumb.jpg

Is it the Likely Lads?

:lol:

Great picture!

(didn't realise they had cameras back in the olden days :thumbup:)

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

This is me (the little one) and a mate perusing my Ray Charles albums sometime in'63. Note my 'Dynatron' record player in the background. Anyone got older 'soul' photos or even anything up to '66 ish?

Is your mate the young David Cameron, looks an awful lot like him?

Or maybe Piers Morgan ? biggrin.gif

Social source share

boxing.gif Back in the day only girls had camaras, its true thats why origanal 6ts photos are rare or just inderviduels poseing for there picture, and it would be certain kick in?

ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Thanks for all the interest and comments. No. my mate was no politician! i lived in a small village outside Wrexham and hardly ever got to hear anything 'soulful'. I can honestly say I never bought a 45 by a UK artist. I mainly relied on buying blind from recommendations and 'odd' non UK sounding names e.g.Solomon Burke, Isley Brothers etc, Disc magazine where Jack Good had a column written from the states and Record Mirror who had Norman Joplin in particular writing for them and it was well into R&B and the 'new' sound,soul. By the time this pic was taken, I had bought James Brown, Solomkon Burke, Bobby Parker, The Isleys, The Miracles, Contours & Marvin Gaye on Oriole. Ther Miracles were voted best female group that year in RM! And unbelievably now as I look back I had sent for 2 albums from the States (I'd sent for a list from and Ad in RM), John Lee Hooker and something else from Crown records in L.A. (I was disappointed as they were very early stuff), how I got the dollars and knew how to send it I'll never know and can't remember! Gradually I got to know other guys who were interested in Soul and the Twisted Wheel eventually emerged where a lot of guys from Wrexham went to.

All the best, Slim

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!