slimharpo profile photo

Oldest Photographic Evidence Of Being A Uk Soul Fan?

Posted

This is me (the little one) and a mate perusing my Ray Charles albums sometime in'63. Note my 'Dynatron' record player in the background. Anyone got older 'soul' photos or even anything up to '66 ish?

post-430-12568379598026_thumb.jpg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Love it! Priceless.....Yes, I was dressed like that too. Smart, clean and respectable. I even had leather buttons on my jacket...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I think that will take some beatin!!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

plus I was not born then :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

heres me and the wife in 1963,:unsure::unsure::ph34r:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Not sure, but I think this might be Brian Walker at Brazennose St. Wheel

Edited by tonyp

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This is me (the little one) and a mate perusing my Ray Charles albums sometime in'63. Note my 'Dynatron' record player in the background. Anyone got older 'soul' photos or even anything up to '66 ish?

Is it the Likely Lads?

:lol:

Great picture!

(didn't realise they had cameras back in the olden days :thumbup:)

:thumbsup:

Sean

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Is your mate the young David Cameron, looks an awful lot like him?

Or maybe Piers Morgan ? biggrin.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

boxing.gif Back in the day only girls had camaras, its true thats why origanal 6ts photos are rare or just inderviduels poseing for there picture, and it would be certain kick in?

ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

great picture.......no doubt, taken with a box brownie

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for all the interest and comments. No. my mate was no politician! i lived in a small village outside Wrexham and hardly ever got to hear anything 'soulful'. I can honestly say I never bought a 45 by a UK artist. I mainly relied on buying blind from recommendations and 'odd' non UK sounding names e.g.Solomon Burke, Isley Brothers etc, Disc magazine where Jack Good had a column written from the states and Record Mirror who had Norman Joplin in particular writing for them and it was well into R&B and the 'new' sound,soul. By the time this pic was taken, I had bought James Brown, Solomkon Burke, Bobby Parker, The Isleys, The Miracles, Contours & Marvin Gaye on Oriole. Ther Miracles were voted best female group that year in RM! And unbelievably now as I look back I had sent for 2 albums from the States (I'd sent for a list from and Ad in RM), John Lee Hooker and something else from Crown records in L.A. (I was disappointed as they were very early stuff), how I got the dollars and knew how to send it I'll never know and can't remember! Gradually I got to know other guys who were interested in Soul and the Twisted Wheel eventually emerged where a lot of guys from Wrexham went to.

All the best, Slim

Share this forum post

soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Wanted - Photographic Quality B&w Pictures
    Record Wants by denbo on Thu 05 Aug 2010
    • 5 / 402
    • Russell Gilbert on 05 Aug 2010
  2. Motown In Britain Photographic History - Apr-Jun
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Wed 02 Feb 2005
    • 1 / 1462
    • mike on 02 Feb 2005
  3. News: Northern Soul - A Photographic Journey
    All About the SOUL by Brian Cannon on Tue 30 Oct 2012
    • 32 / 3140
    • Linky on 24 Jan 2013
  4. News: Northern Soul - A Photographic Journey. Magazine Interview with Brian Cannon
    All About the SOUL by Union Magazine on Sat 05 Mar 2016
    • 3 / 1715
    • Soul-Slider on 05 Mar 2016
  5. Record Collectors' And Photographic Memory-Any Stories?
    All About the SOUL by Robbk on Tue 10 Jun 2014
    • 26 / 2189
    • Tattoodave on 07 Sep 2014
  6. News: Northern Soul – A Photographic Journey - Hartlepool Art Gallery
    All About the SOUL by Source on Thu 11 Feb 2016
    • 5 / 1808
    • mike on 30 Mar 2017

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.