Soul Boy Characters

Barry

I remember a kind of teen drama from the 80's named 'Going Out' about a group of school leavers, possibly in the London area.

It was quite gritty I suppose for the time, so went out late, 11.30pm-ish.

There was a Scottish punk/thug in the series who has just turned up on something on telly at the minute, who used to make their lives a misery, generally legging one or the other of the lads down the street or forcing himself on one of the girls, another of the young lad actors ended up in The Bill.

The character I want to talk about though was called Sammy; fat kid, milk bottle bottom specs, Pringle jumper, nice lad. Looks-wise definately a lower member of the group shall we say - but - whenever anyone asked where Sammy was, Sammy was in the record shop flicking through his beloved Northern section or in his room listening to his Soul sounds.

Sammy was a Soulie.

The first time TV kids drama had actually admitted that people like us existed...and it was so exciting waiting for Sammy's next (sh*t) Northern reference, that it became unmissable. They didn't give us much but the occassional whiff of our scene via Sammy on telly was enough.

You'd know the kid that played him, he always had them big bins on and got quite a bit of work throughout the 70's & 80's.

I'm sure he turns up in 'This Is England' but he just looks like a paedo these days.

Anymore errant Soulies that you know of?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember a kind of teen drama from the 80's named 'Going Out' about a group of school leavers, possibly in the London area.

It was quite gritty I suppose for the time, so went out late, 11.30pm-ish.

There was a Scottish punk/thug in the series who has just turned up on something on telly at the minute, who used to make their lives a misery, generally legging one or the other of the lads down the street or forcing himself on one of the girls, another of the young lad actors ended up in The Bill.

The character I want to talk about though was called Sammy; fat kid, milk bottle bottom specs, Pringle jumper, nice lad. Looks-wise definately a lower member of the group shall we say - but - whenever anyone asked where Sammy was, Sammy was in the record shop flicking through his beloved Northern section or in his room listening to his Soul sounds.

Sammy was a Soulie.

The first time TV kids drama had actually admitted that people like us existed...and it was so exciting waiting for Sammy's next (sh*t) Northern reference, that it became unmissable. They didn't give us much but the occassional whiff of our scene via Sammy on telly was enough.

You'd know the kid that played him, he always had them big bins on and got quite a bit of work throughout the 70's & 80's.

I'm sure he turns up in 'This Is England' but he just looks like a paedo these days.

Anymore errant Soulies that you know of?

Barry you are talking out of your ring!

Sammy was a snake!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Going Out was fantastic, it didn't seem to be on for long but it really did encapsulate what was going on for me at the time. Very few TV series get it right.

Social source share

Ray Burdis who gets a mention in the paper clipping has a little (vague whistling.gif ) soul/mod connection by the fact that he played in another thing that I used to watch after school in the mid 70's called 'Four Idle Hands' with Phil Daniels.

Same old story, two lads just finished school and looking for work - the script writers were a bit narrow back then wern't they?

Social source share

Ray Burdis who gets a mention in the paper clipping has a little (vague whistling.gif ) soul/mod connection by the fact that he played in another thing that I used to watch after school in the mid 70's called 'Four Idle Hands' with Phil Daniels.

Same old story, two lads just finished school and looking for work - the script writers were a bit narrow back then wern't they?

Other possible TV Soul Boys/Girls:

Rodders - (Only Fools) - Likes proper Norvern. Has loads of boots but does own an issue of Dean Parrish that he coverts. Del gave it him one Xmas

Godber - (Porridge) - 6T's lover. Grouty feeds his addiction smuggling 7s in, in the wash baskets and swapping 'em up for snout that Fletch wangles for him.

Gavin - (The Cuckoo Waltz) - loves to smooth women over his Spag Bol whilst playing them some bouncy Seventies soul. Fave track 'Love Is Serious Business'.

TC - (Magnum P.I.) - serious collector, loves his Shrine.

Baldrick - (Blackadder) - loves his 12th century Moderneth Souleth. Had a Hotbox but Edmund swapped it to Missus Miggins (Sam in a wig) for a pie.

Emma Peel - (The Avengers) - Invented the talc on the floor at all nighters. She used it to squeeze into her leather cat suit before hitting the floor.

Yosser Hughes - (Boys From The Blackstuff) - strangely, no one ever argued over vinyl prices with Yosser.

Any more?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ray Burdis who gets a mention in the paper clipping has a little (vague whistling ) soul/mod connection by the fact that he played in another thing that I used to watch after school in the mid 70's called 'Four Idle Hands' with Phil Daniels.

I loved four idle hands. Cant say I remember Going Out. Although the girl with dark hair in Rachel's lonk looks really familiar.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Perry drinks in the Edinburgh pub, just off of Newington Green. He and a load of London based actors are always drinking there.

Its got a boxing gym upstairs. Its a typical spit and sawdust pub, like the ones that are disappearing at a rate.

The only negative, if its the same landlord. He is an arse. Cant bet to save his life, but thinks he's a pro.

Phil Daniels is always in there with a few of the guys from Lock Stock. Both the Birds of a feather friends drink in there occasionally. That blow job woman from Eastenders. plus loads more.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I loved four idle hands. Cant say I remember Going Out. Although the girl with dark hair in Rachel's lonk looks really familiar.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Perry drinks in the Edinburgh pub, just off of Newington Green. He and a load of London based actors are always drinking there.

Its got a boxing gym upstairs. Its a typical spit and sawdust pub, like the ones that are disappearing at a rate.

The only negative, if its the same landlord. He is an arse. Cant bet to save his life, but thinks he's a pro.

Phil Daniels is always in there with a few of the guys from Lock Stock. Both the Birds of a feather friends drink in there occasionally. That blow job woman from Eastenders. plus loads more.

Christ, the nearest to stardom us Warrington lot get is when Ste Arnold (Ashley out of Corrie) pops in the bar for a pint or Kerry Katona falls out of it.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Christ, the nearest to stardom us Warrington lot get is when Ste Arnold (Ashley out of Corrie) pops in the bar for a pint or Kerry Katona falls out of it.

I used to manage a bookies next door.

Phil Daniels would come in most Saturdays and we had our routine down to a fine art.

Phil - What price are Chelsea today guv?

Mikey - Who have they got Phil?

Phil - Cheltenham Ladies College third eleven I think.

Mikey - They've got no chance then. Name your price mate.

One actor who did know his stuff is the guy who used to play Pete Beale in Eastenders. If he came in to any of our shops and had a bet on a Greyhound. The phones would be red hot, and we'd all be down the nearest rival bookies lumping on.

Social source share

I used to manage a bookies next door.

Phil Daniels would come in most Saturdays and we had our routine down to a fine art.

Phil - What price are Chelsea today guv?

Mikey - Who have they got Phil?

Phil - Cheltenham Ladies College third eleven I think.

Mikey - They've got no chance then. Name your price mate.

One actor who did know his stuff is the guy who used to play Pete Beale in Eastenders. If he came in to any of our shops and had a bet on a Greyhound. The phones would be red hot, and we'd all be down the nearest rival bookies lumping on.

:laugh:

Nice story.

Social source share

goldmstick.jpgIMG_0630.jpgmorecaistlo5.jpg

When I hear the phrase " Soul Boy " I cringe !!! As it reminds me of the above , not knocking it , as I'm sure a lot of ss members went BUT I was painted with this brush growing up , people thought I was into Lynx ( the group , not the spray !!! ) , Junior , Imagination , etc .... When I was trying to track down a copy of this !!!!!

200111942351.jpg:angry:

Social source share

Well if that is humour its not funny,and probberly the worst type of stereo-typing i have seen on here.

I'll quote Perry himself on the character Megg Kenneth:

Good Q&A from Perry too "The character I play is called Megg, he is an adult that hangs around kids and talks absolute crap, the type of sad human being that does so because probably no other adults would take him seriously. He's a bit of a nonce case really.

I should have said he looks like a bit of a paedo then.

Apologies, my bad.

Social source share

Apologies, my bad.

all this pc is driving down adult conversation till it becomes meaningless and all one will be able to talk about is the fookin weather

long may you continue baz

cheers b

Social source share

Apologies, my bad.

He didnt say he got the part because of his looks did he ? he got the job cause he could act and played the part of a nonce,sorry bit of a nonce !

Imagine the job desciption,wanted actor must look like peado/nonce...........so again can someone tell me what one looks like ?

Edited by ken
Social source share

From Highbury..He ia also a big gooner fan...I remember his dad use to name drop him to every fooker!!!!!...xxx

Social source share

goldmstick.jpgIMG_0630.jpgmorecaistlo5.jpg

When I hear the phrase " Soul Boy " I cringe !!! As it reminds me of the above , not knocking it , as I'm sure a lot of ss members went BUT I was painted with this brush growing up , people thought I was into Lynx ( the group , not the spray !!! ) , Junior , Imagination , etc .... When I was trying to track down a copy of this !!!!!

200111942351.jpgangry.gif

Social source share

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of Coast to Coast do they?

cheers

Marcus

Been after a version for years (which would have to be a home recorded video) regularly trawl the net...only thing I found was this 6.gif

https://www.guerilla-...st_to_coast.htm

and this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnJbJB8PyQ&feature=related

Ah well...back to work.

Edited by isis
Social source share

Hi Pete - I used to love this programme - I wouldn't mind a copy if there is one going begging - would love to see this again thumbup.gif

Well I downloaded it all and stuck it all together but the quality is crap, it looks good on a tiny youtube screen but on a 42" telly it just looks like a load of coloured blobs! I'll try and improve the quality somehow, if not, it's not worth bothering with, honestly.

Social source share

Well I downloaded it all and stuck it all together but the quality is crap, it looks good on a tiny youtube screen but on a 42" telly it just looks like a load of coloured blobs! I'll try and improve the quality somehow, if not, it's not worth bothering with, honestly.

Well thanks for trying anyway its very good of you - If you do get one (heres hoping) I could always pick it up from a soul night in the future of if your at the Blackpool weekender perhaps which is my next jaunt.:wink: Only problem would be I haven't got a clue what you look like - although suppose could ask folk if they know who " Pete S "is - most people are in cognito on here (including me) LOL - Cheers though for your reply:thumbup:

Social source share

Well thanks for trying anyway its very good of you - If you do get one (heres hoping) I could always pick it up from a soul night in the future of if your at the Blackpool weekender perhaps which is my next jaunt.wink.gif Only problem would be I haven't got a clue what you look like - although suppose could ask folk if they know who " Pete S "is - most people are in cognito on here (including me) LOL - Cheers though for your replythumbup.gif

Yes well I'm 6 feet tall and have luscious brown hair and am usually dressed in an Armani suit, right folks? :lol:

Social source share

Does that mean you are 4'11" bald and wear shorts and t. shirt? Well you may know me then - I'm 5'10 - long silky black hair - and wear smockstongue.gif Don't forget to say hello to me biggrin.gif The hunt is onthumbup.gif

Fraid I'm not going but if I do get this thing sorted I'll post you one anyway..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert