FLIPPED DISCS

keith k

been flipping a tunes over , not necessarily dancers , just good tunes that get

over shadowed by the main sides , heres my faves , whats yours ?

1. jo ann garrett - stay by my side (whole new plan )- chess

2.donaldl lee richardson - i've learned my lesson (palm of your hand) - soulville

3. bud harper -let it rain (wherever you were) - peacock

4. the metros - no baby (since i found my baby) - rca

5. the adorables - devil in his eyes (ooh boy) - golden world

6. doug banks - baby since you went away(kept on dancing)- argo

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yo' Keith,

Try the flipside of Johnny Moore's-Walk like a man,

"It's just my way of loving you" , terrific soul ballad.

The D L Richardson- I've learned my lesson, is that not on one of your tapes ,bud? Class!!!!

Haydn.

Social source share

Been playing "I'm Going Through Changes Now" the flip to "The Game Is Over", Bown Sugar, at Ponds Forge for the last 4-6 months now with good response. Excellent upbeat, feel good tune.

Should have been the side of choice to play in the first place IMO even though T-G-I-O is also OK. Can't understand why it's not played more often by other DJs.

Surprised how many people came to ask what it was and were then surprised as they also have record for the "A side" and have also never flipped it.

"Found" it on one of those afternoons spent trying "B sides" for a change as usually just buy and play for the "known" side.

Now make a point of "flipping" all bought tunes and trying to get through all existing ones.... cuz you never know....

Social source share

I know we covered this topic before, but i carry a torch for Charlie Hodges on Calla and " Loving You Is Beautiful" the flip to "The Day He Made You" although i guess "loving you" is the well known side, still a brilliant double sided release.....Mark you gotta play it mate.

Social source share

Mark

Think the "other" side did once get a fair bit of attention and plays, think was the official a as well and didn;t it get into US top 100 ?

In fact think opposite happenend as some were well aware of "I'm Going Through Changes Now" side but not so much the now more favoured flip

On flipping often wonder how sometimes how the more obvious flips like the soul twins etc got overlooked first time round

Social source share

Mark

Think the "other" side did once get a fair bit of attention and plays, think was the official a as well and didn;t it get into US top 100 ?

In fact think opposite happenend as some were well aware of "I'm Going Through Changes Now" side but not so much the now more favoured flip

On flipping often wonder how sometimes how the more obvious flips like the soul twins etc got overlooked first time round

Mike....

If "other" side did get played I can't say I've ever heard it when out and about. I wasn't aware of it until flipped it about 7-8 months ago having had it for about 18-24 months.... ???? naivity.... ???? not getting out enough (wife wud disagree on this point)....

Tis the official "b" side on the issue (S45-92385), T-G-I-O (S45-92384)....

Not sure if it charted.... not looked into that much....

Social source share

Mike....

If "other" side did get played I can't say I've ever heard it when out and about. I wasn't aware of it until flipped it about 7-8 months ago having had it for about 18-24 months.... ???? naivity.... ???? not getting out enough (wife wud disagree on this point)...

think maybe a case different areas and so on, meself first knew it like others, for "tgio", but when mentioned it to some found they already had it/knew it from days past for the "other" side. which they said used to be fairly popular.

think johnny T has/was/is/maybe featuring it a bit , as have a drunken recollection from a few years go, of passing on a slurred"flip it", when he told me he had just bought it as tgio,and him later giving thumbs up

think its chart showing come up when once talking bout its value, yeah just dug it

reached lower bits of CASH BOX TOP 100 SINGLES Week ending February 28, 1976

other similar 70s 45s that made US charts but value doesn't reflect this ?

some bit of memory tells me charisma band did similar ... possibly :)

Social source share

just a few more

hurt /only a girl knows - victors

take a chance on me/ you upset me baby - Arabians

thing called jealousy/ angel - Buddy and stacy

i m not gonna loose you / ?? chryslers and monaches

jive talk/ find my love - gambrells

think again/who you gonna love - accents

your love has gone/ look up - Drapers

mad at the world / devouted - epsilons

my love has gone / ?? - shadows

later than you think/ dop you want to go - andy mack

Social source share

"If I Could Only Be Sure" by Nolan Porter was a Billboard Top 100 hit (90 something) in 1972.

Gene

Never knew that Gene, there ye go eh?

It's a bloody learning expedition this site, probably if I had bothered to read Billboards top 100 books instead of da Guinness book of hit singles I would be better off. Curses.

H

Social source share

I think there is still a decent Billboard listing book available H. One that I've seen is like the Guinness Book, but starts at the end of the 1890s to about the late 1990s!!!

Probably only available via the States, or maybe branches of Foyles or Waterstones.

Gene

Social source share

Guest micksmith

THE VOLUMES-I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF. TRY THE B SIDE 'ONE WAY LOVER' BLOODY GREAT-COULD GO. MIND YOU MY COPY IS ON UK SUE SO I DON'T KNOW IF THE US COPY HAS THE SAME B SIDE. IF IT HAS GET ONE.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

2 great double siders..

Perfections "can this be real/till i get home" Calgar

Betty Wright "life/if i was a kid" Alston

best

Leo

Social source share

Now make a point of "flipping" all bought tunes and trying to get through all existing ones.... cuz you never know....

For many years now, when I get a new record, I have always played the ?b? side first, just to make sure I don't miss out on anything.

Two songs that I've been presently surprised by are:

Doris Troy ? But I love him

&

Clifford Curry ? Ain?t no danger

Cheap & good (IMO)!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Percy and Them - Look in the mirror/trying to find a new love - Roulette

Essex IV - My Reaction/My heart can't take it - Windmill

Powerhouse - You turn me on/come into my world - Daystar

Bobby Hutton - Loving you, wanting you.../Watch where you're going - ABC

Sonny Craver - I'm no fool/Thank you - Terri Dee

Bobby Wilburn - I'm a dreamer/lonely man - Gamble

a few from the moderner side well 70's anyway ;o)

John

Social source share

Mick,

Not your idea of a joke/wind-up about the Volumes on UK Sue, is it mate??

I know that it was originally scheduled to be released as Pama (PM 755), but no one's ever seen one.......are you sure you didn't mean a Pama test pressing or something Mick? I remember when I reviewed both sides of this in Pete Smith's "Beatin' Rhythm" fanzine in 1989, and put the proverbial spanner in the works by stating "has been thought to have been released on Pama, but no one's ever seen one". For the next year, Pete had endless amounts of mail regarding this and the subject became a standing joke in the early '90s. Example:

Dear Pete,

Do you know the Volumes also came out on UK Pama?

(name witheld).

Dear (name witheld)

F*** OFF!!

Pete.

A copy of Shades of Soul in 1985 featured a letter, which turned out to be a hoax. Someome called T. Weal (geddit?) claimed to have a copy and sent a photocopy of the label for publication. It didn't take long to suss that it was two labels (top half of Pama with a centre, and the bottom half American Arts) stuck together!! Been chatting to Dave Greenhill on this by phone tonight, and he referred to his copy of Shades of Soul to check a few details for me. Whilst the number on the label details PM 755 (could be a Letraset jobbie), the date given on the label is 1970. The position of PM 755 in the Pama label listing positively dates it to 1968, and the publisher is stated as "Wilderness", as opposed to "Vicki Music" which it should be!!!

Put us out of our misery please mate!!!! Tell me I still need to search out the boot fairs for odd-looking Sue test pressings!! :)

Next up, a feature on the newly discovered UK London 78 of "Third Window From The Right" by Dean Barlow!!!

Gene.

Social source share

Some more.

Sam Dees - Save the love at any cost / Fragile, handle with care. (Atlantic).

Holland-Dozier - If you don't want to be in my life / New breed kinda woman. (Invictus).

Phillip Mitchell - The world needs more people like you / I'm gonna build California from over the world. (Jay Boy).

Detroit Emeralds- Holding on / Things are looking up. (Westbound).

Terri Bryant - When i'm in your arms / Geni. (Verve).

Make Jackson - Since you've been my girl / I'll never forget you. (Jamie).

Linda Queen - Where can my baby be / I feel the pain. (Rod).

McFadden & Whitehead - Always room for one more / I heard it in a love song. (TSOP).

Theola Kilgore - It's gonna be all right / I can't stand it. (Mercury).

Social source share

Guest micksmith

hi gene, i got it from the shop in las vagas now they would never boot leg records would they. na just winding you lot up. must dig out my unreleased jimmy radcliffe on stateside.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

hi Soulmac.ive come up with BETTY LLOYD-YOU SAY THE THINGS YOU DONT MEAN/IM CATCHING ON.

Doh!!

How could i have missed this one i've been giving "You always say" a bit of a hammering recently!!! Doncha just love those flutes!!!! Well i do at least ;o)

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

must dig out my unreleased jimmy radcliffe

What's he in for??? Is it a long stretch?

or should i just get me coat...................................

Social source share

A few not already mentioned...

Bobby Sheen - I May Not Be What You Want - brill slowie (Something New To Do - WB)

Tobi Lark - Sweep It Out...(Challenge My Love - Topper)

Monique - Never Let Me Go (If You Love Me - Maurci)

Rose St John - Mend My Broken Heart (And If I Had My Way - UA)

Jimmy Beaumont - You Got Too Much...(I Never Loved Her Anyway - Bang)

Ronnie Forte - Nervous Breakdown (Whisky Talking - Tarx)

Clara Wood - Old & Grey (You're After My Guy - Imperial)

Melba Moore - Does Love Believe In Me (Musicor - ace slowie)

Attractions (Morris Chestnut on lead) - New Girl In The Neighbourhood (That Girl is Mine - another brilliant slowie - Bell)

Willie Kendricks Change Your Ways/What's That On Your Finger (RCA)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry mate. I am probably one of the few, but:

The 3 minutes spent playing 'whats that on your finger' could be three glorious minutes playing 'Change your ways'.

All my mates love it, but it makes my skin crawl.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!