The Friendship Soul Sessions

Firstly a big thank you to all who turned upthumbup.gif , our usual stalwart supporters were aided and abeted by travellers from Lincoln, The North East, Goole, Derbyshire and all parts of Yorkshire,

Numbers were sadly very poor though even by our lowly standards, so shame on you who didn't make it angry.gif

Those that did were witness to a night of superb tunes courtesy of our special guest John Manship.

Mick Waddington started the proceedings with an impromptu set from his sales box, this box is as good as many a play box Ive heard so thanx for that Mickthumbsup.gif My pal Geordie follwed running the 9-10 spot when disaster suddenly struckohmy.gif

The 'Legendary Friendship Sound System' decided to throw one ten minutes before JM was due to hit the decks and we lost two thirds of the system as the main slave amp decided to fry its power source. Frantic work ensued to try and revive things but alas twas not to besad.gif

An unruffled Mr Manship took this all in his stride as he rumaged through his box sorting the first few tunes. A few tweaks to the remainder of the operational sound system and things were sounding acceptable as John started out.

We are pretty paranoid about sound quality so it was nice to hear a few comments that things still 'sounded great' - phew!

I remember Nev comenting that I looked like I'd seen a ghost as I monitored sound following the mis-hap - fact is Nev I allways look like thatlaugh.gif twas a pretty anxious time though!!sweatingbullets.gif

Time flew by as John treat us to some of the contents of his amazing collection and after a staggering two hour marathon he finally asked to be rescued. I can only say if you missed it you missed out BIG TIME. Most were previously unheard by these ears but the quality was staggering as one after the other soulful rarity hit the decks. Awesome set John - Thank Yougood.gif

John said he enjoyed himself, I certainly hope so, but then he'.s such a nice guy, he'd say that anyway, he has however promised to come back next year so.................................. a little bit more support next time please!!!

I had the daunting task of the last spot, god how do you follow that!

JM has promised a playlist so will try and get some tunes up later

Thanx to all who supported us

M.thumbup.gif

Edited by MarkWhiteley
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Firstly a big thank you to all who turned upthumbup.gif , our usual stalwart supporters were aided and abeted by travellers from wink.gifLincoln, The North East, Goole and all parts of Yorkshire,

Numbers were sadly very poor though even by our lowly standards, so shame on you who didn't make it angry.gif

Those that did were witness to a night of superb tunes courtesy of our special guest John Manship.

Mick Waddington started the proceedings with an impromptu set from his sales box, this box is as good as many a play box Ive heard so thanx for that Mickthumbsup.gif My pal Geordie follwed running the 9-10 spot when disaster suddenly struckohmy.gif

The 'Legendary Friendship Sound System' decided to throw one ten minutes before JM was due to hit the decks and we lost two thirds of the system as the main slave amp decided to fry its power source. Frantic work ensued to try and revive things but alas twas not to besad.gif

An unruffled Mr Manship took this all in his stride as he rumaged through his box sorting the first few tunes. A few tweaks to the remainder of the operational sound system and things were sounding acceptable as John started out.

We are pretty paranoid about sound quality so it was nice to hear a few comments that things still 'sounded great' - phew!

I remember Nev comenting that I looked like I'd seen a ghost as I monitored sound following the mis-hap - fact is Nev I allways look like thatlaugh.gif twas a pretty anxious time though!!sweatingbullets.gif

Time flew by as John treat us to some of the contents of his amazing collection and after a staggering two hour marathon he finally asked to be rescued. I can only say if you missed it you missed out BIG TIME. Most were previously unheard by these ears but the quality was staggering as one after the other soulful rarity hit the decks. Awesome set John - Thank Yougood.gif

John said he enjoyed himself, I certainly hope so, but then he'.s such a nice guy, he'd say that anyway, he has however promised to come back next year so.................................. alittle bit more support next time please!!!

JM has promised a plylist so will try and get some tunes up later

M.thumbup.gif

And ourselves from Derbyshire!wink.gif 1st visit from us and we were indeed treated to some superlative music: A treat to our ears and well worth the journey which we will definately make again.

Chris and Sharon

It was of course halloween and the demons struck

Its actually the third time a glitch has happened whilst I'm on the decks, they say it happens in threes so lets hope its the last.(or is it that I'm Jinxed :thumbup: )

So what's that ..a deck going down, a channel on the amp, and then the amp itself going bump but thats over the last 6 years and after all the hammering they get i suppose it's inevitable.

great to see a lot of new faces in on the night, as Mark said numbers down due to either too much on elsewhere or halloween beckoned on the trick or treat front.

But thanks to all who attended

Mr Manship did a couple of tricks and pulled out a sublime two hours of treats,

Many a time i was head scratching as new tunes bounded into my ear canals..but Johns taste is spot on and i heard quite a few i'm going to have to add to my now huge wants list.

Johns next visit will be one that those who did not show...must really get to

I for one..(apart from the technical glitch)enjoyed myself immensely & want to thank john for giving us a superb night....just what the friendship nights are all about.... dj's play what is special to them about soul music and then share it with everyone else.

Geeooooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson

And ourselves from Derbyshire!wink.gif 1st visit from us and we were indeed treated to some superlative music: A treat to our ears and well worth the journey which we will definately make again.

Chris and Sharon

Chris I stand corrected,wub.gifand travellers from Derbyshire , please accept my humble apologies and thank you for your supportthumbup.gif

Mrolleyes.gif

Firstly a big thank you to all who turned upthumbup.gif , our usual stalwart supporters were aided and abeted by travellers from Lincoln, The North East, Goole, Derbyshire and all parts of Yorkshire,

John said he enjoyed himself, I certainly hope so, but then he'.s such a nice guy, he'd say that anyway, he has however promised to come back next year so.................................. a little bit more support next time please!!!

JM has promised a playlist so will try and get some tunes up later

M.thumbup.gif

Hi Mark,

Despite one or two problems with the sound system it was A Blinder of a night with John Manship delivering a 2 hour set of pure magic thumbup.gif

Great stuff from Geordie Mick & Yourself also thumbsup.gif

See you at the next on.

Don

HI MARK AND GEORDIE

SORRY WE MISSED SUCH A GREAT NIGHT LAST NIGHT!!sad.gif

BOTH BEEN UNDER THE WEATHER FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS AND JUST COULDN'T GET RIGHT IN TIME FOR LAST NIGHT, DESPITE DOSING OURSELVES UP, IT WASN'T TO BE I'M AFRAID. THAT'S WHY I ASKED WHAT TIME MR MANSHIP WAS SPINNNING THE TUNES AS WE HAD HOPED TO BE THERE FOR A LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS.

BIT OF A MISERABLE BIRTHDAY FOR PETE BUT NEVER MIND THE HOLIDAY WILL MAKE UP FOR IT.smile.gif

I'M SURE DESPITE THE HICUPS EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED WILL HAVE HAD A GREAT NIGHT!!thumbsup.gif

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT FRIENDSHIP.

AV & PETE

Big thank you for letting me spins some sounds for you.Myself, spanner and stevie johnson really enjoyed ourselves. Great to meet and mingle with like minded people, very warm atmosphere, impressive sound equipment, love to work with it at full power.

As promised here's the list of what I spun, I tried to get a flow with the choice of selection, I hope it worked as a set. * = special request

Gentleman four - You can't keep a good man down - Wand

Carpets - You just can't win - Vij

Rotations - Trying to make you my own - Mala

Vows - Tell Me - VIP

Chico Lamar - What Do you think I Am - Fuller

Topics - When Love Comes Knocking - Chadwick

Hollidays - I Lost you - Groove City

Gambrells - You Better Move - Carla

Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good to Me - Romark

Johnny Rodgers - Make A Change - Amon*

j. J. Barnes - Lonely No More - Mickay's

Flairs - You got To Steal It - Rap

Conquistadors - Can't Stop Loving You - Act IV*

Fantastics - Where There's A Will (there's A Way) - Imperario*

Tommy & The Derby's - Don't Play The role - Swing

Answers - Thinking Of You - Scorpio

Pinkertones - It's Not The way You walk - Queen G

Summits - I'll Be Over (tomorrow) - United International

Volumes - I've Never Been so In Love - Garu

Caressors - I Can't Stay Away - Ru Jac

Notations - You Should Know - Sue

Idols - Check Her Out - USA

Moses Smith - Try My Love - Dionn*

Mill Evans - Why Why Why - King

Montereys - It Hurts Me So - Arwin

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah*

Tut Sutton - I Can Feel The Tears - USA

Ella Woods - I Need Your Love - Merging

Inverts - Time Will Change - Broadway*

Little Al & The Maxidynes - Lonely, Days Of My Life - Shell

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over (cause I Can't Get Over You) - Dispo

Vikki Styles - The Tear Won't Stop Falling - Odex

Thelma Laverne - Baby Don't You Leave Me - Northern Del-La

Changing Scene - When The City Sleeps - Jo Vee Jo

Changing Times - A New Day Begins - Boy Wonder

Districts - One Lover (just won't do) - Nile

Astors - Just Enough To Hurt Me - Stax

Fantastic Nu Tymes - Darling (Don't Leave Me) - Click

Tut Sutton - No Appreciation - USA

Guest SteveJohnston

Yes i did enjoy this night good company thumbsup.gif good cheep beer good.gif and mind blowing tunes :lol:

The stand out tracks for me:-

Johnny Rodgers my request thanks John, The Pinkertones this is one sublime slab off soul & Tut Sutton "No Appreciation" making this one hell off a double sider :D

But when you look at Johns play list every ones top draw & you can see what Mark must of been thinking doing the last spot! but Mark you started with a 12" track i think :g: I for one thought was a realy good track i would not mind adding to my collection so if you can remeber what you stated with can you let me know the name mate :shades: .

Thanks to the Frienship team well done lads.

Steve J

Yes i did enjoy this night good company thumbsup.gif good cheep beer good.gif and mind blowing tunes thumbup.gif

The stand out tracks for me:-

Johnny Rodgers my request thanks John, The Pinkertones this is one sublime slab off soul & Tut Sutton "No Appreciation" making this one hell off a double sider yes.gif

But when you look at Johns play list every ones top draw & you can see what Mark must of been thinking doing the last spot! but Mark you started with a 12" track i think g.gif I for one thought was a realy good track i would not mind adding to my collection so if you can remeber what you stated with can you let me know the name mate thumbsup.gif .

Thanks to the Frienship team well done lads.

Steve J

[/quote

Hi Steve, thanx for the kind words,] glad you enjoyed,

Pretty sure the track I started with was Mike James Kirkland (front man with Mike & Sensations) - "Give It To Me" on Bary 7"

Will post a play list.......................................if anyones interested in my humble offeringswhistling.gif

M.good.gif

ps got to agree re Tut Sutton - wowohmy.gif

Big thank you for letting me spins some sounds for you.Myself, spanner and stevie johnson really enjoyed ourselves. Great to meet and mingle with like minded people, very warm atmosphere, impressive sound equipment, love to work with it at full power.

As promised here's the list of what I spun, I tried to get a flow with the choice of selection, I hope it worked as a set. * = special request

Vows - Tell Me - VIP

Was an excellent set John ,well worth the entrance fee and really enjoyed the banter with you spanner and stevethumbsup.gif

Summits request for me as wellthumbup.gif

On with the show .......1st time in for the N.east crew and we most certainly enjoyed ourselves.

Was great to meet up with so many like -minded appreciative soulies .

Sound problems did'nt spoil our night one bit ,no one really noticed and i for one told Mark and Geordie ...not to worry ,i've heard worse sound than that before .

Not really sure if it was the numbers down or the lack of dancers that kinda let it down a little, but musically it was top class all night.

Lifeline allnighter was on and by all accounts was a packer ,so it was understandable if numbers were down a little.

Either way you've got a great venue ,great music and very nice followers so no probs for the future.

Lastly ,thanks for the PORK PIE on arrival ,went down well with me and Colthumbup.gif

The problems with the sound system did not spoil what was another cracking night of top underplayed soulful tunes and as Paul (Soulgalore) said in earlier post long may these nights continue, never had a bad night at Friendship at this venue or the old one.

Superb 2 hours from JM as playlist shows but have to say some top tunes from Mark & Geordie as well, look forward to playlists from you both soon, sorry Mick we missed your early spins but did catch your last one Darrow Fletcher - It's No Mistake which is one of our faves so I'm sure we missed a good spot.

Thanks to Geordie, Mark and Lorraine

See you soon

Paul, Sue and Laney thumbsup.gif:thumbsup::lol:

John what a pleasure it was listening to your setthumbsup.gif, Top soul music from a top class guyking.gif Only problem is i'll have to win the lottery twice to be able to afford the new wants listohmy.gifohmy.gif

Answers & both sides of Tut Sutton top tunes of the night for me.thumbup.gif

Mark & Geordie also 2 top spots from you as wellthumbup.gif

I know Mark & Geordie worried about the sound hiccup but it didn't really spoil the night.

Numbers were down but those that didn't come were the losers. Can't wait for JM to come to the Friendship again

Nice to see some fresh faces, hope to see you again at future Friendship nights.

Pleasure talking to Col even though he prised cash out of me for the Joe Walker.(Bargain really Col)

The impromtu set from my sales box in no particular order

Just another dress rehearsal - Van McCoy - SSS LP

When did you stop - The J's - Dante 12"

Ten good reasons - Miar Davies - Decca

Make love to me - Carrie Cleveland - Audio-Ent

I need love - Carrie Cleveland - Audio-Ent

Who am I - Quickest way out - Warners Brothers

Can't accept the fact - Gateway - Columbia

This kind of love - Special delivery - Shield

Falling love isn't easy - Silk - Nation

Want you so much - Jimmy James - Pye

Put your lovin' on me - Willie Fisher - Jama

Pain of city living - North by northeast - Probe

Bring it home - Hot Sauce - Volt

High Stepper - Jerry Butler - Mercury

Gotta love in my soul - Hoodoo rhythm devils - Fantasy

I'm one who know - Brewster crew - Lifeline

Don't take your sweet lovin' away - Ghetto children - Roulette

Somebody help me - Donald jenkins - Cortland

If you knew - ebony keyes - Pye Italian

It's no mistake - Darrow fletcher - Crossover

Touching and caring - Nina simone - Bellphon German

That's all I can remember so they may have been more. Thanks Mark & Geordie for letting me play them, next time a bit more notice and i'll bring the playboxgood.gif

Mick

ps It worked 2 are no longer in the playboxgood.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

Chris I stand corrected,wub.gifand travellers from Derbyshire , please accept my humble apologies and thank you for your supportthumbup.gif

Mrolleyes.gif

Just thought I would add my thoughts about our trip 'up north'.(the missus posted earlier)

First I didn't think the sound wasn't bad and that you perhaps more sensetive about it than than the rest of us

Second the music was superb as far as I'm concerned and a a refreshing change from the crap disguising itself as Northern Soul .

Thirdly, great little room

Fourth 35 - 40 people or 200-250 doesn't bother me I would rather have a room with 30-45 people and listen to quality like this than stand bemused among a larger group and wonder what on earth is happening.

Will definatley be back, thanks for a great night

Chris

ame='MarkWhiteley' date='02 November 2009 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1257181121' post='1184623']

should'nt that be on bryan mark ? shades.gif

woops of course your right Mick.whistling.gif .........................Bary,Bryan,Billy,Bob ...............all the same to me smile.gif

heres a list of what I threw in - maybe not in order!

Mike James Kirkland - Give It To Me - Bryan

Willie Tee - Teasing You Again - Gatur

Danny Williams - After All These Lies - Musical Energy

Ron Kieth - Gotta Go By What You Tell Me - A&M

Jimmy Helms - Romeo & Juliet - Pye

Willie Picket - On The Stage Of Life - Eastern

Sy Hightower - I Know Youre Leaving Me - Carmen

Bobby Thurston - I Get My Groove - Tomar

LaSawn Collins - What You Gonna Do Now - Sincere

Differences - Five Minutes - Monca

Jimmy Beaumont - Our Day Is Here - Drive

Bobby Taylor - Dont Be Afraid - Gordy LP

Glen Miller - Where Is The Love - Dr Bird

Eddie Billups - Shake off That Dream - Seventy Seven

Del Davis - Baby Dont Wake Me - Trojan

Betty Wilson - Im Yours - Dayco

Chuck Holiday - Just Cant Trust Nobody - Gloria

Joe Walker - My Last Goodbye - Bold

Johnny Gilliam - Room Full Of Tears - Cancer

Colt 45's - Lady Lady - Jerry

Steptones - Lonely One - Diamond Jim

Calvin Grayson - You've Got To Be Willing - IN

Chubby & Turnpikes - I Didn't Try - Capitol

Mgood.gif

Edited by MarkWhiteley

woops of course your right Mick.whistling.gif .........................Bary,Bryan,Billy,Bob ...............all the same to me smile.gif

heres a list of what I threw in - maybe not in order!

Mike James Kirkland - Give It To Me - Bryan

Willie Tee - Teasing You Again - Gatur

Danny Williams - After All These Lies - Musical Energy

Ron Kieth - Gotta Go By What You Tell Me - A&M

Jimmy Helms - Romeo & Juliet - Pye

Willie Picket - On The Stage Of Life - Eastern

Sy Hightower - I Know Youre Leaving Me - Carmen

Bobby Thurston - I Get My Groove - Tomar

LaSawn Collins - What You Gonna Do Now - Sincere

Differences - Five Minutes - Monca

Jimmy Beaumont - Our Day Is Here - Drive

Bobby Taylor - Dont Be Afraid - Gordy LP

Glen Miller - Where Is The Love - Dr Bird

Eddie Billups - Shake off That Dream - Seventy Seven

Del Davis - Baby Dont Wake Me - Trojan

Betty Wilson - Im Yours - Dayco

Chuck Holiday - Just Cant Trust Nobody - Gloria

Joe Walker - My Last Goodbye - Bold

Johnny Gilliam - Room Full Of Tears - Cancer

Colt 45's - Lady Lady - Jerry

Steptones - Lonely One - Diamond Jim

Calvin Grayson - You've Got To Be Willing - IN

Chubby & Turnpikes - I Didn't Try - Capitol

Mgood.gif

GREAT SET MARK, THAT CAN STAND UP AGAINST ANY BODY :thumbup:

BRI PINCH.

Guest mark shepherd

Vows - Tell Me - VIP

good call on the fantastic nu tymes thumbsup.gif

i dont think a lot of peeps know this 45

fantastic music allnite have to dance to quality all be it on my own most of the time, thanks to suz for the lift and mick dont forget the tom green i recomended,,,col

Next time we'll cnjure up some more dancers Col, and your very own Piethumbsup.gif

So............................whats this Tom Green then ? Endless Confusion??

M.good.gif

Edited by MarkWhiteley
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mark shepherd

it was me you recommended tom green to col beer.gif great night by the way thumbsup.gif JOE

whats the going rate for tom green now..............must be over the £100 mark isnt it ?

shep