A1 Soul

Guest Tarnlad

Guest Tarnlad

First visit to this venue, just like to say what a cracking little venue this isthumbsup.gif the quality of music was top drawerwhistling.gif . felt super chilled afterwards , and got us in the mood nicely for the Newark Soul 4 hero's event on sunday.. would recommend visiting this event , as i said a superb venue , with brilliant friendly peoplethumbup.gif

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

With so much going on not really a suprise that our numbers were slightly down from previous nights.

As I've said before this type of night (Crossover & Modern) is this area is never going to attract the masses, but none the less still a reasonable turn out (around 55 in) made the night a success.

As normal with A1 soul the residents operate a rota system so it was Barry to go on first, chance for me to play a few mid tempo/crossover and a couple of modern bits, new tune I picked up this week which I played was 24 Karat Gold " What does the future hold".

Andy Baskett on next by which time I was on the door but did get chance to have a dance to Ann Nesbitt. Andy does play some quality stuff.

Payo our first guest up next playing a selection of underplayed tunes, Payo as been a great supporter of A1 Soul and it was great to have him playing a few tunes for us.

Mark Whiteley came down from Barnsley to spin some superb tunes us, first time really had chance to speak with Mark (& Loraine) what a fantastic couple they are and would hope they would make the trip down again in the future.

Hope that Payo & Mark would put their playlist up for us to see the type of tunes played

There was one tune that Mark played (don't known the name) but Ian one of regulars at A1 Soul, had a text from someone who is at Soul In The Sun telling Ian how well this great tune was going down at at SITS. (Malcome could have stayed in Grantham to hear same tunewhistling.gif )

Sam Evans finished off with a great selection of tunes keeping the dance floor busy as only Sam does.

Big thanks to all our regulars for your support and also great to see some new faces in.

But don't forget we have Pick n' Mix at the squash club on January 16th with 4 clubs joining together for our yearly bash with DJ's from Soul Purpose, Ab-soul-ution, ITS and A1 Soul.

Barry

Dates for A1 Soul in 2010

Saturday 20th February - guest's Dave Raistrick & John Fisher

Saturday 15th May 2nd Anniversary - guest SteveJ

Saturday 28th August - guest's TBA

Saturday 20th November - guest's TBA

Edited by Guest

Hi Barry,

Many thanks to yourself, Andy and Sam for inviting me to play some tunes at the Jewel in the Crown of Lincolnshire A1 SOUL.

Kim and me enjoyed the night as usual, albeit a change for me being behind the decks.

Enjoyed all residents sets and Mark Whiteley...Wow it was like the first day at school...He definately knows his onions!

Thanks again to all three of you for having the insight for this event...as you have quite rightly said an event of this nature will not attract the masses.

You can't please all of the people all of the time... but the openminded will listen... and return to listen some more!

As requested here is my humble playlist:

THE INVITATIONS 'Look On The Good Side'

THE ORIGINALS 'Good Lovin' Is Just A Dime Away'

THE DRAMATICS 'You're Fooling You'

KEVIN DRINKARD 'I Wanna Thank You'

PHILLY DEVOTIONS 'Hurt So Bad'

ARETHA FRANKLIN 'Integrity'

VERNON BURCH 'Frame Of Mind'

LOU COURTNEY 'Beware'

BLACKSMOKE 'Sunshine Roses And Rainbows'

TOUCH OF CLASS 'I'm In Heaven-Part 2'

JEAN CARN 'My Love Don't Come Easy'

NORMAN CONNORS 'Take It To The Limit'

JOHNNY BRISTOL 'Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me'

SUNBURST BAND 'Everyday'

RON HALL & THE MUTHAFUNKAZ 'The Way You Love Me'

L.J. REYNOLDS 'You've Got It'

Keep up the good work Barry, speak to you later.

Payo & Kim.

Thanks Payo for posting your playlist and thanks also for spinning some super tunes for us on Saturday, we hope you enjoyed the time on the decks you certainly looked as though you did, we had some great feed back from your spot.

Thanks to for your continuing support of A1 Soul, we'll keep pushing it forward, here's to the next time.

Barry Sam & Andy

What a great venue you guys have got herethumbsup.gif

Good dance area, super 'chill out' lounge and lots of friendly folk!

We had a great time, possibly spent a little too long in Grantham town during the daywhistling.gif

but we were only told later about how intersting it really issleep3.gif

Thanks so much for inviting us down, I know Barry is a bit sensetive about numbers but Im sure those who came did

so because this night is such a welcome break from the norm and provides exactly what it advertises, just great music from

the seventys onwards, It maybe the 'Dark Side' to the masses but for those of us in the know.........................................good.gif

Nice to meet up with the usual suspects nearer their home turf, Jonathan, Chris Dalton, Liz, Mick n Mo etc.

Musically this place ticks all our boxes, Im a 70ts/ X-over guy and Lorraine likes anything 'not 60's' so it does it for usyes.gif

Caught about the last third of Barrys spot but heard everything from Andy, Payo and Sam,really was a night of great tunes.

Sandwiched in between I threw a few in, most I think are listed below.

Thanx for having us and thanx for the comments on plays, it means a lotsmile.gif

M & Lgood.gif

My set consisted of :-

Village Choir - Sweet Hot Lips - NYC

Bitter & Sweet - I wont Have Any Babies - AER

Sy Hightower - I Know youre Leaving Me - Carmen

Dee Edwards - I Can Deal With That - De-to

Eddie Billups - Shake Off That Dream - Seventy 7

Gonna Find A True Love - Patterson Twins - Commercial

Seccond Res$urection - Youre Done, Let Daylight Catch You - Stanson

Little Reuben - In The Name Of Lonliness - NR

Willie Pickett - On The Stage Of life - Eastern

Differences - Five Minutes - Monca

Infinity - Put Everything In Place - Whitehorse

The Un-Dun - Just My Imagination - UD

Bobby Taylor - Dont Be Afraid - Gordy LP

Lew Kirton - Something Special - Alston LP

Jimmy Beaumont - Our Day Is Here - Drive

David Sea - Angel - t-Jaye

Gabin with Dee dee Bridgewater - Into My Soul - EMI

Soul with Larry Hancock - This Time around - Musicor

Those who came did so because this night is such a welcome break from the norm and provides exactly what it advertises, just great music from the seventys onwards, It maybe the 'Dark Side' to the masses but for those of us in the know.........................................

good.gif

Must add my thanks as always to Barry, Andy, Sam and guests for this always well enjoyed night. Payo and Mark, great sets and nice to see the complete playlists on here, my favourites the Invitations, Originals, Philly Devotions, BlackSmoke, Jean Carn and Johnny Bristol tracks from Payo; Eddie Billups, Patterson Twins (real change to hear this version out), Differences, Bobby Taylor and Lew Kirton from Mark.

Looking forward to the "Pick and Mix" event at this venue in January and the next A1 date in February. thumbup.gif

Alan

What a great venue you guys have got herethumbsup.gif

Good dance area, super 'chill out' lounge and lots of friendly folk!

We had a great time, possibly spent a little too long in Grantham town during the daywhistling.gif

but we were only told later about how intersting it really issleep3.gif

Thanks so much for inviting us down, I know Barry is a bit sensetive about numbers but Im sure those who came did

so because this night is such a welcome break from the norm and provides exactly what it advertises, just great music from

the seventys onwards, It maybe the 'Dark Side' to the masses but for those of us in the know.........................................good.gif

Nice to meet up with the usual suspects nearer their home turf, Jonathan, Chris Dalton, Liz, Mick n Mo etc.

Musically this place ticks all our boxes, Im a 70ts/ X-over guy and Lorraine likes anything 'not 60's' so it does it for usyes.gif

Caught about the last third of Barrys spot but heard everything from Andy, Payo and Sam,really was a night of great tunes.

Sandwiched in between I threw a few in, most I think are listed below.

Thanx for having us and thanx for the comments on plays, it means a lotsmile.gif

M & Lgood.gif

My set consisted of :-

Village Choir - Sweet Hot Lips - NYC

Bitter & Sweet - I wont Have Any Babies - AER

Sy Hightower - I Know youre Leaving Me - Carmen

Dee Edwards - I Can Deal With That - De-to

Eddie Billups - Shake Off That Dream - Seventy 7

Gonna Find A True Love - Patterson Twins - Commercial

Seccond Res$urection - Youre Done, Let Daylight Catch You - Stanson

Little Reuben - In The Name Of Lonliness - NR

Willie Pickett - On The Stage Of life - Eastern

Differences - Five Minutes - Monca

Infinity - Put Everything In Place - Whitehorse

The Un-Dun - Just My Imagination - UD

Bobby Taylor - Dont Be Afraid - Gordy LP

Lew Kirton - Something Special - Alston LP

Jimmy Beaumont - Our Day Is Here - Drive

David Sea - Angel - t-Jaye

Gabin with Dee dee Bridgewater - Into My Soul - EMI

Soul with Larry Hancock - This Time around - Musicor

Thanks for this playlist Mark, great feedback from those who came regarding your set, hope to catch up with you at Just Soul this Friday.

For anyone interested this is some of the tracks I played from 8pm -9m (not quite in order, long time since)

Drama In The Bedroom - Ali Oli Woodson - Expansion

Wonderful - Aretha Franklin - Arista

I'm Gonna Stay - Charles Drain - RCA

You & I - Joe Anderson - Buddah

All Alone By The Telephone - J B Bingham - UA

Extra Careful - Billy Cole - Power Exchange

You Made Me Over - Melvin Davis - Invictus

What Does The Future Hold - 24 Karat Gold - Desert Bone

It's Better - Carlton J Smith - Soulchoonz

This Girl - Cookin' On Three Burners - Freestyle

One Step Ahead (Remix) - Aretha Frankin - Featurecast

Total Satisfaction - Dee Heron - Sidestep