Brilliant Brenda Holloway

Boogaloo

Saw Brenda at the Jazz Cafe last night. She shared the bill with Chris Clarke (who was surprisingly good), Jack Ashford's funk brothers and Mable John. Only sang four songs and would have loved to have seen a whole evening of her stuff. Superb evening from my favourite female Motown artiste.

Bumped into quite a few soulies last night and it was packed but surprised not to see more.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Saw Brenda at the Jazz Cafe last night. She shared the bill with Chris Clarke (who was surprisingly good), Jack Ashford's funk brothers and Mable John. Only sang four songs and would have loved to have seen a whole evening of her stuff. Superb evening from my favourite female Motown artiste.

Bumped into quite a few soulies last night and it was packed but surprised not to see more.

Lack of advertising maybe ?..........or rather advertising somewhere soul fans may see it. RBman mentioned it to me otherwise I wouldn't have known it was on. Also I believe tickets were £25+ ? not a huge amount when you consider what people pay for records but may seem expensive to some?

Social source share

Lack of advertising maybe ?..........or rather advertising somewhere soul fans may see it. RBman mentioned it to me otherwise I wouldn't have known it was on. Also I believe tickets were £25+ ? not a huge amount when you consider what people pay for records but may seem expensive to some?

Think you are right on that. I would definetly have got on the bus over for that if I'd known it was on. Bollocks.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

In my top three female artists I've seen perform. (And I've seen a few). That night in '98 when she appeared at the Ritz and came out to "I'll Be Available" in that blue satin dress.......audible gasp from the crowd. She is and always will be a really classy lady. If she's had other dates cancelled then something has gone terribly wrong PR wise 'cos I can't imagine people not wanting to see/hear her.

I was in Las Vegas mid 90s with styrene-45 and unfortunately we left the day she appeared at the Hilton. Now THAT would have been something eh? Brenda fronting a decent orchestra, in a room design for acoustics.

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

The full show is on at Hammersmith Apolo this weekend and I think Thelma Houston is also on the bill but I may be wrong-Motown Divas-I'll try and find a link ! Pasted below Its TONIGHT FRIDAY 13th TICKETS AVAILABLE

Rob

https://venues.meanfiddler.com/apollo/full-listings/featured/391/divas-of-motown-tickets

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Ace people were lucky enough to go out with her for a meal last night and she's a lovely and entertaining person as well as being a bit flirty; she had one of our directors in the palm of her hand (metaphorically speaking!). She regaled us with stories of touring with the Beatles and being the first LA artist to record in Detroit for Motown. The live show on Wednesday was excellent, I was particularly impressed with Mable John who I wasn't particularly looking out for, she's 79 and commanded the stage like a blues veteran. She did mainly Stax material sensibly as her Motown stuff was very early.

Social source share

Doncaster was cancelled.

Lots of unhappy punters at the Dome, who never knew.

Ed

Yes, even though I couldn't make it anyway, I heard virtually the day before that Dec12th show was cancelled.

Similar thing happened with an earlier concert at the Dome in March,

we had tickets for a Motown Show, found out quite by chance that we needed to get our money back as it was cancelled.

On this occasion I had managed to get a shift off & had to cancel holiday etc.

We could have easily turned up on the night too.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The Doncaster cancellation must have been due to poor ticket sales.

I mean who ever heard of the Funk Brothers and Chris / Connie Clark outside the Northern Soul crowd?

On the other hand it was Utopia for me if it had gone ahead. It would have gone down better at the Earl, and probably sold out.

Surely these acts must know without a really savi promoter, outside of London, its a failure waiting to happen and they dont deserve that.

Ed

Social source share

I mean who ever heard of the Funk Brothers and Chris / Connie Clark outside the Northern Soul crowd?

On the other hand it was Utopia for me if it had gone ahead. It would have gone down better at the Earl, and probably sold out.

Surely these acts must know without a really savi promoter, outside of London, its a failure waiting to happen and they dont deserve that.

Ed

I saw Chris Clark at Sheffield a couple of years ago & would definitely pay to see her again.

Would dearly love to have seen Brenda Holloway, Jack Ashford & the others.

As you say many people may not have heard of them, yet if they did they would surely enjoy.

Glady's Knight at Sheffield was one of the best ever, yet played to a reduced audience at The Arena.

Better Advertising would have helped. When Cliff Richard & The Shadows appeared at The Arena it was advertised on many commercial breaks.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Ed

Even in London promotion was very poor.....or maybe it was just me not paying attention & as the Jazz cafe appears to have been a packer perhaps the promotional side was good enough, wondr about the other venue with all the artists on together? (didn't know about that one either?)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest welshruss

Only just noticed this thread...............

We went to the Apollo show,and i have to say - Brilliant - just brilliant.Every single artist.

Cant single any one out,but maybe Brenda just edges it with Thelma coming a close second.But yes,as Adey said...Mable John has got presence,theres just an aura about the lady.

After the show we went to the vip party upstairs,and this is the bit that made the whole night for us - we were in the "white room" alone with Jack Ashford for over 20 mins.....so got time to talk at lenght about the mans career (he,s actually working on 4 new albums at the moment)

Talked with Brenda Holloway about "that Ritz" appearance - she remembers it well..what a beautiful lady she is close up..very flirty too.

Talked with Chris Clark....who did say that she really wanted to go to a club playing Northern Soul to experiance it...and see a dancefloor moving to one her 45s - "any time your passing" was my reply...

Any way,,just thought i,d share that with you people...................Russ.....Oh and if the guys we met from "sarf Landan" read this.....Hi from Russ & Sue......North Wales.

Social source share

To be truthful I don't really know but I suspect it is the Andantes.

They certainly backed her on other singles during 1965 so I'm assuming this was also the case.

Perhaps some one else can confirm?

Cheers Tabs, superb thumbsup.gif Used to play both sides of this at Soul in The City a few years back.

Is that the Andantes singing backing vocals ?

Social source share

Cheers Tabs, superb thumbsup.gif Used to play both sides of this at Soul in The City a few years back.

Is that the Andantes singing backing vocals ?

To be truthful I don't really know but I suspect it is the Andantes.

They certainly backed her on other singles during 1965 so I'm assuming this was also the case.

Perhaps some one else can confirm?

Not sure about the Motown Recording session, would guess Andantes, however on the video it looks like The Blossoms.

May have been done purely for the show, I think they were resident singers.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ftKGzuB6HLE

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Even in London promotion was very poor.....or maybe it was just me not paying attention & as the Jazz cafe appears to have been a packer perhaps the promotional side was good enough, wondr about the other venue with all the artists on together? (didn't know about that one either?)

Have to agree about the promotion - very, very poor for the Gladys Knight and this was to be her farewell concert. Wembley Arena was half empty but that didn't matter once she got on stage. Brilliant voice and great entertainer too. Fabulous.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!