I wish I'd been there when

Dayo

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

if its first time plays you after mine would have to be The Carstairs. still love it and was far too young to have been there when it was first played.

Social source share

Nice one Tabitha. It doesn't have to be first time plays... could be anything (soul related!) lol

I don't think I was there first time it was played at the Mecca. But word soon reached the Midlands about this amazing new record that Levine was playing. My memory is that everyone loved it right away... odd that because it was a very different sound at the time.

Social source share

JTrouble - guessthat would have been about the time he recorded live at the Apollo vol 2. My first soul album purchase and still in my book the greatest live album ever.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I wish I had been there when the first person decided that just playing records til the bar closed wasnt enough. I would love to have been inside that persons head. Spotting that these soul fans didnt need to be falling down drunk to dance to these tunes. Thinking, why not just close the bar as usual and sell soft drinks til dawn.

And combining that with the desire of these soul fans to seek out the obscure titles and labels.

Marry both together and leave us with this legacy that keeps us up all night before travelling miles home, just cos we fucking love it!

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I wish I'd been there when.... Top of the World was at its greatest.

Too goddam young for Wigan... too goddam young for Stafford :)

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I guess my wish would be the height of Stafford aswell.. mm...

Also i wish that i was at the right place to tell the people who decided stuff like John Edwards "tin man" and OC Tolbert "i'm shooting high.. " shouldn't be released.. "come on you guys, of course you should release it, or at least make a few demos for me" ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

.......Ginger nutted Ian Levine (after the Four Vandals fiasco).

Cheers,

Joe.

HaHaHa, NO, he didn't i was there when they spoke, wish people wouldnt make things up about Ian all the time! Pathetic!!!

Janine

x

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I would like to have been there when all these bloody records i keep spending a small fortune on were a damn site cheaper and replace my whole collection for less than a fiver an item (not that i knew them then but with hindsight ;o/)

John

Social source share

Guest micksmith

THE BEST PLACES TO IN THE EARLY 70s WERE BLACKPOOL MECCA-TONY JEBB WAS THE BEST NORTHERN SOUL DJ. AND THE TORCH- WHEN EDDIE PARKER "LOVE YOU BABY" WAS ULTRA RARE KEITH MINSHULL HAD 2 COPIES-HE'D PLAY THE VOCAL FOLLOWED BY THE INSTUMENTAL NOW THAT'S DJING FOR YA. NO ARGUMENTS ON THE BEST DJ I'VE JUST NAMED HIM TONY JEBB.

Social source share

And I wish I'd been there when somebody picked up a record with the un promising title of cigarette ashes, and realised it was inst to the biggest dancer of all time!

Social source share

Tony, you were there and I bought you one.................in 1985!!! :) )

Mind you, with our beer habits at the time, neither of us probably remember!! Never mind, I'll buy you one when I see ya - for old times sake, I'll pay 1985's prices for it and all!! :(

Gene

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wish I was at Cleethorpes last year to see Dean Parrish and Maxine Brown..........

I was there but didn't see them teehee

You probably did but you know what you're like "Dean who?? What did he sing then some disco rubbish i expect"

I'm making a pledge not to drink anything but tea this year ;o))

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What not drinking!!

As this thread is now clearly dealing in fantasy:

I wish I was there when:

Bobby Moore lifted the world cup, and the entire wembley crowd gave a rousing rendition of 'Walk with a winner', to the sorry German supporters.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh come on what have people been saying about me???? ;o)

Mind you it may be hard to stay on the straight and narrow in our van but with God on my side .........................;o)

John

Social source share

I was at the Torch the first time Major Lance played there, great atmosphere, but the band were crap, and he sung My Sweet Lord.

Mick Smith's memories of Love you Baby vocal/inst being played back to back, reminded me that one of the djs used to play Cracking up over you, followed by both versions of Cracked up over you. Happy times, it was all so uncomplicated in those far off days just after the war when you could get from London to Tunstall for under a £1 and still have enough left over for a chip supper and some gear.

Social source share

GLAD I WAS THERE WHEN TOP OF THE WORLD WAS AT ITS GREATEST

GLAD I WAS THERE WHEN I MET RANDY AND GLAD I WAS WITH HIM UNTIL HE DIED.

p.s. Gene R sorry not been in touch, thanks for your email even if Im bit late in replying!!!

K x

Social source share

Thanks Gene x

Try and come up to Plinston Friday 7th, also next Valatone - great place, atmosphere, music, etc. and of course Johnny T! x

Speak soon, take care, luv K x

Social source share

I wish I was there when Johnny T was a little Mod.

I've tried peyote, mescaline and every mind-altering substance known to man and i still can't picture that!

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,

I saw a needle that winked its eye.

But I think I will have seen everything when I see Johnny the Mod.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hey K

Were you the one in the vest, over near where the pizza's were sold from?

You helped me thru puberty, like nobody else could

Social source share

wish Id been in the studio when Linda Jones recorded 'My Heart Needs a Break' or 'I Just Cant Live my Life'...or Tammi Terrell when she recorded 'All I Do' or Sissie Houston 'Dont Come Running to me'

talk about magic moments...........could go on all night....cheers Paul

Social source share

Hi Mike,

No sorry not me selling the Pizza's, too busy tutoring at LearnDirect!!

Try and get to Plinston this Fri.

Luv k

Social source share

I wish I was there when:

Bobby Moore lifted the world cup,

We were talking about watching England playat Wembley Stadium, at work last week. One of the guys said " I've only ever seen England play three times", and then with a smirk said " The World Cup quarter final, the world cup semi final, and the world cup final in 1966"

I said "Jammy Bastard"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!