Annesley

coops

only our fourth trip to Annesley this year but would not have missed it for the world.

Not just because it was the last one but because we think Annesley, it's music and it's friendlyness and atmosphere make it one of the top three events in Nottinghamshire, nah, make that top two.

For me that's the three reasons why this event is gonna be missed. It's not just the closure of yet another event but it's the closure of an event that really hit-the-mark for me and many others.

There was a good sized crowd in attendance but not as many as I was expecting, none of the Skegness crew who swore-by Annesley in it's earlier days were there and many other 'noteables' were noted by their absense, but none-the-less a very, very good night indeed.

Cressy (capturing his mince-pie moment as a budding thespian aged seven years) did a half hour set and set the scene for the other two guests by grabbing those dancers by their collective short and (sometimes grey) curlies and leading them on to the floor. (Speidels & Casmeres specially worked for me) followed by Granthams' Steve Gutteridge who also played a blinder while slipping in some seventies tunes to break the beat (Third Time Around, nice one Steve, not played nearly enough).

Bridgey (whom I have never heard play-out) was next and the quality never failed or dipped all night. (Gene Toones Bridgey, soooo nice to hear out).

Pete Taylor finished the night but we had to set off back to Skegg before hearing Johnny Mae-Matthews which I am sure he played.

Great night, as Eddie would say, "A Night To Remember" at a venue to remember surrounded by a feelinf of friendsip and soul appreciation to remember.

Val, Karen, Pete and Steve, you may have lost a venue but remember this you have created so many fantastic memories for so many people and surely that is far more than many people manage.

The sooner you guys get the motivation to set up home in another venue the better for the Northern Soul scene in Notts.

Nice on Guys and thanks for the memories.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops
  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have never written on here before so hope I do it right. Steve and Pete are still at Annesley trying to bring home 8 speakers, decks, amps and all the rest of the DJ stuff. We no longer have a garage so I think we'll have to kick the kids out to get it all in.

Any way, thank you Coops and to every one who have been 'there' for us. We had a good ride and it was down to you all. We will always have the memories but the rest will be welcome.....almost 12 years month in month out has been hard at times especially as Steve works long hours. I for one hope that he sticks to his word and that is it. He is 12 years older after allwhistling

All the best to every one, see you around

Karen Brown

Guest SoulSceneRob

What can I say?

An AWESOME night last night, EVERYONE in attendance had the time of there lives. thumbup.gif I can't stress enough what an impact Annesley has had on us ALL over the years. The word AWESOME doesn't quite cut it for a place like Annesley, it will be sadly missed by us ALL. sad.gif Pete, Steve, Karen n Val have done us all proud for nearly 12 yrs. THANK YOU so very much. thumbup.gif You have set the standard for us all and I think I speak for all of us that we are proud to have been a part of it. thumbup.gif Me N Mark were definitely inspired by you and no one can take away our memories. We love you all and Annesley will live on forever in our hearts. thumbsup.gifthumbup.gifthumbsup.gif

Keeping the faith (always)

Rob, Mark, Graham, Gaz, Dave, Kyp, Steve, Liz, Paula, Tina.

ashamed to say this but.... this was only our 2nd ever visit to Annesley(We first went earlier this year). as soon as we walked in last night, the atmosphere hit you between the eyes! Not only that, but Debbie could'nt get to the stage and plonk her bag down quick enough so that she could hit the dancefloor :thumbsup: .

a good range of 60's and 70's tunes to keep all tastes satsfied, lots of dancefloor action and a lot of friends in attendance

Annesley miners welfare will be missed by a hell of a lot of people , pleased we were there to help give it a cracking send off. well done to Steve, Pete etc for putting on a fine venue good.gif

I have never written on here before so hope I do it right. Steve and Pete are still at Annesley trying to bring home 8 speakers, decks, amps and all the rest of the DJ stuff. We no longer have a garage so I think we'll have to kick the kids out to get it all in.

Any way, thank you Coops and to every one who have been 'there' for us. We had a good ride and it was down to you all. We will always have the memories but the rest will be welcome.....almost 12 years month in month out has been hard at times especially as Steve works long hours. I for one hope that he sticks to his word and that is it. He is 12 years older after allwhistling.gif

All the best to every one, see you around

Karen Brown

Crafty crafty karen,

Posting while I was out , i get the impression from her post that she would like me to retire laugh.gif

Big thanks goes out to everyone that has attended Annesley over the last 12 years and especially to the ones who came last night to give the Venue the send off it deserved thumbup.gif

See you all soon

Steve B

Guest Dave Turner

ashamed to say this but.... this was only our 2nd ever visit to Annesley(We first went earlier this year). as soon as we walked in last night, the atmosphere hit you between the eyes! Not only that, but Debbie could'nt get to the stage and plonk her bag down quick enough so that she could hit the dancefloor laugh.gif .

a good range of 60's and 70's tunes to keep all tastes satsfied, lots of dancefloor action and a lot of friends in attendance

Annesley miners welfare will be missed by a hell of a lot of people , pleased we were there to help give it a cracking send off. well done to Steve, Pete etc for putting on a fine venue good.gif

Not as ashamed as me though as it was my first and unfortunately last trip to Annesley. sad.gif I must be a f'kin Jonah king.gif

Not being a regular getter outer I'd just never been before but from everything about last night I wish I'd been many times previously. To my mind there was just something about it that hit the mark, right place (can't beat those working men's clubs IMO), right people, a great selection of sounds for all and a bloody good dance floor.

The overall impression I got can be expressed in two words QUALITY and INTEGRITY

Thanks to Steve , Pete and all concerned for a great night, I'm sure whatever else you get into it will encompass those two above words.

Thanks also to Steve Gutty & Pauline fer the lift over.

thumbup.gif

An emotion charged night within a famous venue...... wonderful memories,..... and a great send off , it just does not seem "real" after all these years, there has been ups and downs as all clubs have..... but Annesley would always come through..... the last ten mins i was there i just stood and soaked it all in... never to forget... KTF thumbsup.gif

pete n' susan xx

thumbup.gif a great nite at annesley good crowd good atmospher lots of old faces that used to go when it first started good deejays played northern soul for all tastes every one happy, all an all this is a nite to remember good luck pete steve val and keren hope you fined a another venue shades.gifthumbsup.gif ktf rictic

Massive THANK YOU to Pete & Steve for inviting me to Guest DJ at such a memorable night.

We arrived at about 7.40pm, 10 minutes after to venue started, we knew the minute we walked in, this was going to be an Awesome Night. There must have been 40 people in already with dancers starting to take up their space........ Just brilliant to see. (by about 8.30pm the place was rammed). The Choons played by Steve B at the start, set the tone for what was to become a "Night To Remember" by everyone concerned. Then followed by Pete, Cressy & Steve G, well this really put the pressure on me at 11pm to pull a few rabbits out of the hat. The previous DJ's had really done the business. The Atmospher was just electric from start to finish. I can only finish by saying I was deffinately honoured to be invited to what was "An End Of An Era"............. THANKS.

Good luck for the future and hopefully catch up with some of you on the scene.

KTF.................. Bridgey & Linda....thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Edited by Bridgey

Crafty crafty karen,

Posting while I was out , i get the impression from her post that she would like me to retire laugh.gif

Big thanks goes out to everyone that has attended Annesley over the last 12 years and especially to the ones who came last night to give the Venue the send off it deserved thumbup.gif

See you all soon

Steve B

Hi Steve, Pete, Karen,Val,

Just a short note to say how much i enjoyed last night, in fact i danced and should not have doneno.gif but you know the tunes take over, i would like to wish you all the best for the future and thanks for the last 12 years and the launching of some new tunes at Annesley,yes.gif

Regards Mall...............Red

What can i say or add to what as already been said about Annesley for me it was a great venue with the right music policy, outrageously rare records played alongside bargain basment tunes. 60`s through to current releases, and most of the dancers appreciating all the genre`s. enourmous respect to Pete & Val -Steve & Karen for the hard work they have put in over the years. I speak from some experience when i say i know the highs and the lows - the elation and the deflation you go through putting on a soul night, but when its all over if you ask yourself was it all worth it? youre damn right it was. On the last ever Annesley night itself, for me it was the Jewel in the Crown to be DJ`ing at the last ever night, i know of course it wasn`t planned that way but to be involved in such an emotional night was unbelievable. Those last 10 - 15 minutes summed the night up, the lights were up Pete still playing, you got the feeling that this ain`t really over and i`m not leaving until the equipment is switched off. It was alas all over, but what lasting memories (and photo`s) to take home with us - Thanks Pete, Val, Steve & Karen

f_applause.giff_applause.giff_applause.gif

Steve & Pauline Gutteridge

Hi would just like to take this opportunity to say a BIG THANX to Pete,Steve,and there good ladies for a night to rememberthumbup.gif . A great night of soul music all the djs played awesome sets from the start. So glad Pete & Steve cant count "this is our last three" "right then this definitely is the last three" " OK just a couple more then" and on it went BRILLgood.gif . By the time it was all over there were still plenty of people in and judging by the atmosphere wanted it to go on through the night but sadly it was time to go. It was easy to see how emotional it was for Pete , Steve and every one involved with Annesley well done and GOOD LUCK for the future..... Mark , Mandythumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

What a cracking night ...... sad but cracking. The last 2 Hours I danced non-stop and thats rare these days.

This venue will be sorely missed and for those of you at the last Cleggy Wintergardens the sadness was definatly similar, the end of an era, unlike Cleggy the venue wasn't stripped of light fittings and anything else that could be lifted :thumbup:

I had to tell Steve Gutteridge to put them all back.

Me and Sue will miss this venue and personally thank Pete & Val / Steve & Karen for 12 years of memories and we would gladly support any future ventures that may arise.

Paul Green & Sue Johnson

What a cracking night ...... sad but cracking. The last 2 Hours I danced non-stop and thats rare these days.

This venue will be sorely missed and for those of you at the last Cleggy Wintergardens the sadness was definatly similar, the end of an era, unlike Cleggy the venue wasn't stripped of light fittings and anything else that could be lifted thumbup.gif

I had to tell Steve Gutteridge to put them all back.

Me and Sue will miss this venue and personally thank Pete & Val / Steve & Karen for 12 years of memories and we would gladly support any future ventures that may arise.

Paul Green & Sue Johnson

So really sad to hear that Annesley is shutting it's doors to the soul scene. Would loved to have been there for the finale, i really had a great time deejaying there for Pete and Steve last year. It will be sorely missed but as we say here, it's onward and upward so c'mon you guy's get cracking with a fresh venue. See you all soon. ATB Tony T BONE and Sue. Perth, Western Australia. K.T.F.

only our fourth trip to Annesley this year but would not have missed it for the world.

Not just because it was the last one but because we think Annesley, it's music and it's friendlyness and atmosphere make it one of the top three events in Nottinghamshire, nah, make that top two.

For me that's the three reasons why this event is gonna be missed. It's not just the closure of yet another event but it's the closure of an event that really hit-the-mark for me and many others.

There was a good sized crowd in attendance but not as many as I was expecting, none of the Skegness crew who swore-by Annesley in it's earlier days were there and many other 'noteables' were noted by their absense, but none-the-less a very, very good night indeed.

Cressy (capturing his mince-pie moment as a budding thespian aged seven years) did a half hour set and set the scene for the other two guests by grabbing those dancers by their collective short and (sometimes grey) curlies and leading them on to the floor. (Speidels & Casmeres specially worked for me) followed by Granthams' Steve Gutteridge who also played a blinder while slipping in some seventies tunes to break the beat (Third Time Around, nice one Steve, not played nearly enough).

Bridgey (whom I have never heard play-out) was next and the quality never failed or dipped all night. (Gene Toones Bridgey, soooo nice to hear out).

Pete Taylor finished the night but we had to set off back to Skegg before hearing Johnny Mae-Matthews which I am sure he played.

Great night, as Eddie would say, "A Night To Remember" at a venue to remember surrounded by a feelinf of friendsip and soul appreciation to remember.

Val, Karen, Pete and Steve, you may have lost a venue but remember this you have created so many fantastic memories for so many people and surely that is far more than many people manage.

The sooner you guys get the motivation to set up home in another venue the better for the Northern Soul scene in Notts.

He did Coops, Tune!!!!!!! or What

300263182444.jpg

Guest hobbo49

im sorry i have another life outside northern soul coops. i had a day with my mates watching football. any anyway its got nothing to do with you what i do.but thanks for your concern.

im sorry i have another life outside northern soul coops. i had a day with my mates watching football. any anyway its got nothing to do with you what i do.but thanks for your concern.

blimey Brian, a bit defensive mate, wasn't judging just observing, not everything is about you personally, in fact I hadn't even thought of you when writing the piece, it was generic Skegness NOT an individual. :g:

I didn't think you had any kind of life being a Forest fan Brian whistling.giflaugh.gif

Now cheer up and we'll have no more grumpy comments or the next time we're in Skeggy, Karen will put you across her knee and spank you yes.gif

See you soon

Steve B

I didn't think you had any kind of life being a Forest fan Brian whistling.giflaugh.gif

Now cheer up and we'll have no more grumpy comments or the next time we're in Skeggy, Karen will put you across her knee and spank you yes.gif

See you soon

Steve B

can I be first please Karen? (that's to BE SPANKED brian, not to spank YOU!)

See you soon

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Is this the format for the new club??????? I'm not strictly sure it's legal.

Only joking,

Spow

Hi Steve,

Is this the format for the new club??????? I'm not strictly sure it's legal.

Only joking,

Spow

laugh.gif

Worth considering though eh.

Thanks for coming to see us off on Saturday mate good.gif

All the best

Steve B

shades.gifthumbup.gifthanks ..steve ,,pete ,,val and karen always enjoyed this friendly venue ,,and at the begining of my venture into promoting a venue you was all there to surport me ...and when i moved from newstead to the bentinck venue you was all there with surport again in backing me and cressy with our venue ,,,brilliant night and thanks ...see you friday at the bentinck ...take care ..

pete .. thumbup.gif

Edited by pete

Nothing much more to add to posts already in praise of Annesley and such a wonderful last night to treasure, don't think i danced so much for nearly 30 years, if thats what you could call it ;-) Little Anthony to finish it finally, "its not the same" and neve will be now!

thanks pete / steve and all concerned over the years, you'll be sorely missed.

steve

Can't really add to what's already been said, it was a night to remember buzzing from start to finish & what a finish last record played just after 1 o'clock & then the group photos & everybody cheering..Brilliant :thumbup::thumbup: Massive thanks to Pete & Steve for letting me do my final perfomance on the stage it meant alot guys. Not sure what Im gonna do on the second Saturday now I've only missed 2 or 3 Annesleys in the 12 years it was going. A great night but a sad one aswell.....Cressy

Hi All, Just got in from work and read all these wonderful comments on ANNESLEY, Well Ive got to agree with everything what as been said

First of all i would like to thank everybody who turned up to this fantastic night, Second i would like to thank the Djs who did use Proud

( Cressey Bridgey & Steve G. ) Third thanks Coops For the DVD think its great mate, ( Top Man ) And Fourthly If the right venue come

along hey Steve ? And Last of all Thanks for 12 great Years see you all soon Pete & Val.

nah, no shopping arcades in Sutton-in-Ashfield! whistling

:laugh:

Me and Pete are doing an "Annesley" spot at the Bridlington Weekender next year, and looking forward to it too.

Steve B

Val, Karen, Pete and Steve, you may have lost a venue but remember this you have created so many fantastic memories for so many people and surely that is far more than many people manage. The sooner you guys get the motivation to set up home in another venue the better for the Northern Soul scene in Notts.

good luck pete steve val and karen hope you find a another venue

ktf rictic

Me and Sue will miss this venue and personally thank Pete & Val, Steve & Karen for 12 years of memories and we would gladly support any future ventures that may arise.

As we say here, it's onward and upward so c'mon you guy's get cracking with a fresh venue. See you all soon. ATB Tony T BONE and Sue. Perth, Western Australia. K.T.F.
Whilst I'd been unable to make this final night, as I'd posted on the look ahead thread, I'm glad I'd been able to make it over as recently as the September date and, as per Mick's subtitle for the thread, just wanted to post my own thanks for the memories.

What really struck was reading down this thread and putting together the multi-quote of the posts asking if a new venue would be started. I know Steve had said no to this as

a - it would be so difficult to replicate Annesley and

b - that they'd like to get to other venues on the second Saturdays.

So many asking is, however, one of the biggest credits to just how well liked Annesley was and the fond memories we all have.

Alan

Edited by alanthesoulie