Northern Soul 70's Fashion

Guest sue77

I know this is an old thread, but got talking to a guy a last months Lowton, he was selling metal pin badges.

Used to go to The Wheel, not really that interested in the scene anymore he said.

Anyways, we were talking about this very subject & he was a shop designer.

By the end of the 70s if you were still wearing bags & a full length, you were not really on the pulse to be honest.

Wigan had its 'cooler' days half a decade before that, before my time.

We were talking about the coolest shops in Mancester, came up with a list I was shopping at by then he had worked on most of them.

Jonathan Silvers, Last Picture Show, Zap, Manolo, Othello all cool as you like, years a head, mostly Italian designers before they were household names, I was shopping at these places & still going to Wigan, but not many were, the current scene at Wigan at that time was way behind & never caught up, it wasn't fashion, it was dam right old fashioned even then.

That's what's been missed in this thread, Wigan (the fashions I mean) was cool only for a short period early doors.

Aid

As I've says before circa 78/9

Back to sta pres Ben shermans Fred perys brogues for me

Gone the 30 inch bags

Gone the badges and patches

A whole new skinhead suede head mod style was back in for me

Clean cut and smart was always my ideal look

But from about 74 two years before I went Wigan we started to leave the sta prest Dic mart Ben Sherman style behind and wore those awful Oxford bags then even wider parallel trousers

At first high waist band then single waist band white leather belt

I always wore a Fred perry polo shirt for dancing(still do never wore a bowling shirt or bowling shoes !!

Love the more smarter style myself

But each to their own

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

'Sharon Cooper' timestamp='1334400341' post='1732914']

I haven`t had time to read through all the padt postings but thought I would add one or two pictures of Chris and myself in our `Northern soul` heyday period! Showing the hair do`s, bags (carry type not trousers - that were de rigeur..) and a dress I wore to Wigan (never liked to be a `follower` as you can see) also a pic of us returning from Cleethorpes (travelling home clothes - showing a military style blouse I wore)

the overnight bag............. i used to think it was too big!

it went everywhere. once went to wigan on my lammy and fell asleep at the handlebars on the return....anyone else have that happen.

terrapost-20010-0-19584500-1341280561_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

By the way I saw a pair of these "reissued" Solatio shoes the other day, they look f*ck all like the originals, they've put really thick soles on them for s start and the criss cross pattern is wrong.

Ive seen a pair to,what a crock the front is the wrong shape the real mc coys were more rounded fronts ,like you say the crossovers dont look right.The originals had quite low slung backs the copies are higher looking.As you say the sole is thickernm and the heel especially looks quite clumpy and nothing much like the the neaterthinner origanl heel.All in all a bad job done byb ikon if thats who made the ones I saw,looks to me like a case of "soulboy the movie",does the solatio crossover.I still tthink they will more than likely sell them in the truck loads,most to people who never had a pair or in fact never saw a pair of the real uns..Solatio shoes crossovers had to be the best shoes for comfort and dancing in that I ever knew,beating the classic mc coy loafer and brouge,never in my life owned or wanted poyveldts. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Ive seen a pair to,what a crock the front is the wrong shape the real mc coys were more rounded fronts ,like you say the crossovers dont look right.The originals had quite low slung backs the copies are higher looking.As you say the sole is thickernm and the heel especially looks quite clumpy and nothing much like the the neaterthinner origanl heel.All in all a bad job done byb ikon if thats who made the ones I saw,looks to me like a case of "soulboy the movie",does the solatio crossover.I still tthink they will more than likely sell them in the truck loads,most to people who never had a pair or in fact never saw a pair of the real uns..Solatio shoes crossovers had to be the best shoes for comfort and dancing in that I ever knew,beating the classic mc coy loafer and brouge,never in my life owned or wanted poyveldts.

Best shoes I had for dancing red leather royals from the army store think they were officers shoes ?

£5 wakefields army store chesterfield in 77 had the re-soled about 3 times until the uppers split these were only ever used on the dance floor never went out in them used to carry them in a plain black holdall with towel spare shirt and trousers on and a bottle of brut!

Polyvelts? Looked ok on girls can't remember any of my mates wearing them

Wasn't too keen on the crossovers either

Keep on dancing

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Best shoes I had for dancing red leather royals from the army store think they were officers shoes ?

£5 wakefields army store chesterfield in 77 had the re-soled about 3 times until the uppers split these were only ever used on the dance floor never went out in them used to carry them in a plain black holdall with towel spare shirt and trousers on and a bottle of brut!

Keep on dancing

Do you mean the brouges were there was a single line of brouge ran from the front all the way to the back,nice very smart shoes,Ive got some really nice brouges the best ones are about thirty odd yeatrs old they have been resoled a few times but have kept their shape really well,polys never ever appealed to me,nor to many of my mates come to think of it,still thats a matter of taste.I was never into the acrobatics though I did like to have the odd spin,I found the front sole of the crossovers really good to pivot on when spinning sort of putting your other foots toes on top of the ones underneath.never ever used my heels to spin on. more like front end of the foot.atb keep on dancing as you say,I need to get plenty done as the weight has crept up on me over the years .manus Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Do you mean the brouges were there was a single line of brouge ran from the front all the way to the back,nice very smart shoes,Ive got some really nice brouges the best ones are about thirty odd yeatrs old they have been resoled a few times but have kept their shape really well,polys never ever appealed to me,nor to many of my mates come to think of it,still thats a matter of taste.I was never into the acrobatics though I did like to have the odd spin,I found the front sole of the crossovers really good to pivot on when spinning sort of putting your other foots toes on top of the ones underneath.never ever used my heels to spin on. more like front end of the foot.atb keep on dancing as you say,I need to get plenty done as the weight has crept up on me over the years .manus

No they were just a plain upper no pattern

I've got two pair of loakes at the moment one dark brown one black the black ones have felt dancing soles in them not allowed outside at alll

Think I'm nearly twice the weight I was when I was attending Wigan

Lose wright the northern soul way ?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I've got two pair of loakes at the moment one dark brown one black the black ones have felt dancing soles in them not allowed outside at alll

iit is the only way that would work for me,bythe way if you are from chesterfield do you know a Martin whittaker?
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

name='tonyp' timestamp='1341310535' post='1769336']

I have often wondered if the people that insist on wearing the "uniform" were ever actually there ??

T

mmmm and some that dont! its amazing. i wonder what would happen if everyone who says they were a member actually turned up one night! there is a web site called i went to wigan where people can post pics etc............only 1600 members. probably says it all. there was a tv program on about mods and northern soul and the rockers. itroduced by suggs. it was a bit worrying. can you believe that there is a mecca for rockers called the ace cafe. they have badges and dances and people dress up in all the rockers gear with all the names of the stars of the time painted on their jackets. they all wear the same drainpipe jeans and leathers, drive bsa gold stars and buy and sell these old records. they meet on bank holidays and have weekenders (sometimes at cleethorpes). some have been going to the caff for years and still buy the records. i bet they file them in order and have a price guide..........................although i knew it existed i didnt realise to what extent a parralell scene it was. it was a "nice" watch......to see these 70 year old guys in leathers and drainies on a bsa or a 58 ariel with cast heads chatting with mods on lammys and minis about the good old days. to be honest i think that is all we are looking for...........coz they were. we just were`nt sure at the time and i think that is why people want to say they were there.

those shoes (we just called em splats) were crap for riding a pushbike too, anyone else get their baggies made at jacksons, i remember the looks off the manager "how wide!!!!) post-20010-0-09427900-1341364161_thumb.j. omg i kept some stuff.......the date on the reciept is 1976.

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

I have often wondered if the people that insist on wearing the "uniform" were ever actually there ??

T

I doubt it,its got to be close to 40 years since the bags and bowling shirt stuff,lot of the folk in the "uniform" only look in the 40's and early 50's,im 57 in a few days,i did ware the bags an stuf for a year or 2,and never worn em since

Bazza :shades:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As I've says before circa 78/9

Back to sta pres Ben shermans Fred perys brogues for me

Gone the 30 inch bags

Gone the badges and patches

A whole new skinhead suede head mod style was back in for me

Clean cut and smart was always my ideal look

But from about 74 two years before I went Wigan we started to leave the sta prest Dic mart Ben Sherman style behind and wore those awful Oxford bags then even wider parallel trousers

At first high waist band then single waist band white leather belt

I always wore a Fred perry polo shirt for dancing(still do never wore a bowling shirt or bowling shoes !!

Love the more smarter style myself

But each to their own

Eh? Did you tuck yer jumper in too? :lol:

Only joshin' :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

We used to get some from Wakefield Army stores with plain uppers, we called them Cherries as they were a oxblood colour, are these what you mean ?

They also did all leather brouges, both were top quality but cheap. :yes:

Social source share

The Ace Cafe is world famous, has been for 50 years or so.

Yes, what's the relevance to the thread ? it is a rocker cafe (or was) motorbikes, leather and the likes. Funnily enough we'd pass it every time we came op north for a NS event. :huh:

Whoops !! Just seen the reason, 100000000000 apologies...................

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

I found this foto the other day with some old membership cards, caused quite a stir on facebook and a few grins. My first car Morris 1000 called Mavis, We were going to Carlile for a nighter and then on to Manchester on Saturday Wigan on Saturday night, but them Jeans they were tailor made by Seymore of York, Denim bought from York Market. I would be 18 back in 1977, I never had trouble getting into venues till I was 18

Can't upload foto

Edited by Illya
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I found this foto the other day with some old membership cards, caused quite a stir on facebook and a few grins. My first car Morris 1000 called Mavis, We were going to Carlile for a nighter and then on to Manchester on Saturday Wigan on Saturday night, but them Jeans they were tailor made by Seymore of York, Denim bought from York Market. I would be 18 back in 1977, I never had trouble getting into venues till I was 18 Can't upload foto

We had an old MK I Cortina and Beetle :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest proudlove

Correct Pete,had a lot of money spent in the last few years......it is a well known petrol heads heaven,Old rockers,hotrodders,old skool Fords etc...fifth gear do a slot from there....If it is finished my old Ford will be on display there next year.....

Social source share

Correct Pete,had a lot of money spent in the last few years......it is a well known petrol heads heaven,Old rockers,hotrodders,old skool Fords etc...fifth gear do a slot from there....If it is finished my old Ford will be on display there next year.....

Pete, Steve, thats the 1st time that I had ever heard of it tonight, after reading your posts!

Where about in the country is it?

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='davetay' timestamp='1341433390' post='1770159']

Pete, Steve, thats the 1st time that I had ever heard of it tonight, after reading your posts!

Where about in the country

does this mean THEY may not have heard of wigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

name='tonyp' timestamp='1341310535' post='1769336']

T

mmmm and some that dont! its amazing. i wonder what would happen if everyone who says they were a member actually turned up one night! there is a web site called i went to wigan where people can post pics etc............only 1600 members. probably says it all. there was a tv program on about mods and northern soul and the rockers. itroduced by suggs. it was a bit worrying. can you believe that there is a mecca for rockers called the ace cafe. they have badges and dances and people dress up in all the rockers gear with all the names of the stars of the time painted on their jackets. they all wear the same drainpipe jeans and leathers, drive bsa gold stars and buy and sell these old records. they meet on bank holidays and have weekenders (sometimes at cleethorpes). some have been going to the caff for years and still buy the records. i bet they file them in order and have a price guide..........................although i knew it existed i didnt realise to what extent a parralell scene it was. it was a "nice" watch......to see these 70 year old guys in leathers and drainies on a bsa or a 58 ariel with cast heads chatting with mods on lammys and minis about the good old days. to be honest i think that is all we are looking for...........coz they were. we just were`nt sure at the time and i think that is why people want to say they were there.

those shoes (we just called em splats) were crap for riding a pushbike too, anyone else get their baggies made at jacksons, i remember the looks off the manager "how wide!!!!) post-20010-0-09427900-1341364161_thumb.j. omg i kept some stuff.......the date on the reciept is 1976.

All my cloths trousers / suits were done at jacksons back in the day very good high street tailors :yes: .. and yes we got some weird looks at the start :lol:

loved the suggs proggy btw

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

All my cloths trousers / suits were done at jacksons back in the day very good high street tailors :yes: .. and yes we got some weird looks at the start :lol:

loved the suggs proggy btw

I had a crombie coat made at Jacksons in early 1971 ( Or should I say crombie style as few people had real crombies). It was made really well but the tailor who measured me kept insisting that it should be bigger than needed as so as to allow for a suit jacket below - I thought I'd gotten the message through that I didn't want it too big - but the tailor thought he knew better than a youngster like me. Just as well I had a green tonic suit as I could never wear the crombie without the suit jacket.

Cheers

Manus

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had a crombie coat made at Jacksons in early 1971 ( Or should I say crombie style as few people had real crombies). It was made really well but the tailor who measured me kept insisting that it should be bigger than needed as so as to allow for a suit jacket below - I thought I'd gotten the message through that I didn't want it too big - but the tailor thought he knew better than a youngster like me. Just as well I had a green tonic suit as I could never wear the crombie without the suit jacket.

Cheers

Manus

Erm now that is true they made me a 3/4 length coat , denver back etc when i got fed up with my leather one . the muppet that measured me said the same thing .. and i went along with his advice it buried me and i looked a right tw#t :lol: :lol: needless to say it went back for some serious alterations

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Cheers

Manus

About 1974 I had a pair of trousers made at colliers tailors in Corby,30 inch parralell to the knee then 28 inch at he bottoms with a turnup,no patch pocketsor flaps,normal waistband,I had a pair in dark blue made not all that long before and they came out really well same spec I had given this time.I had a pair of cords with a high waist band as near eveyone else at the time but werent keen on the high waist multi button look so when my mate george had his trousers made in the same design i had given some time before me I thought they lookesd great and went along with it for mine.At this time lots of people in Corby were having made to measure at colliers(well a fair few anyway)not all soul lads either as the look was popular among the towns trend setters,high waist etc.I was looking really forward to picking up my new trousers and a couple of weeks later set off for town,I couldnt wait as the materiel I had picked was a light grey all wool medium weight that was a bit shimmery but not quite tonic and had cost a bit more because of the mateiral.When I got there and they showed them to me they had put a high waist band with three buttons on them and I was absolutely gutted and had to wait again till they came back from alterations to get rid of the waistband.The bloke couldnt explain what had happened as I was going on about made to measure meaning what it said",the customer says what he wants".The trousers did come back after having the high waistband amputated and a normal one fitted and were then the bees kneesAll I can think is that as they were doing so many orders from lads for 30 inch parallels etc with high waists whoever read the specs must have thought I had meant to put a high waistband as part of my spec so as I had forgot they went ahead and did it,I also think that this may have been how they interpreted a "normal",waistband for such baggies .I did go back later on and have another pair made some time later again like the first ,brilliant first time exactly what I wanted that time no repeat of the waistband problem. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL

Having not made any postings to this thread, I thought I would put this on, only done yesterday, but in the pre punk style of the underground press of the early 7ts Kensington High St & Kensington market fashion,

The IT stood for International Times and the girls face, is a iconic logo from that period, I have used it as a thanks to the CLASS of 72, However the original sticker of "you can get IT here" sells for over £100 to-day, :g: DAVE

post-13241-0-26868100-1341524972_thumb.j

Social source share

Erm now that is true they made me a 3/4 length coat , denver back etc when i got fed up with my leather one . the muppet that measured me said the same thing .. and i went along with his advice it buried me and i looked a right tw#t :lol: :lol: needless to say it went back for some serious alterations

Yes mine was definitely too big at first - I remember wearing into to a local youth club music night - it was when the Tams had just crossed from the clubs into the charts. And this older bloke asked to try my coat on - I knew who he was and said ok ( dodgy back then I know) and to be honest it did fit him better than me - then he started to make noises about how he was going to "borrow it" I made my mind up quite quickly that as big as he was he wasn't going to be walking out the door in my coat and it started to get a bit heavy but luckily my older brother turned up and the coat was given back to me sharpish. Lovely days lol

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Yes mine was definitely too big at first - I remember wearing into to a local youth club music night - it was when the Tams had just crossed from the clubs into the charts. And this older bloke asked to try my coat on - I knew who he was and said ok ( dodgy back then I know) and to be honest it did fit him better than me - then he started to make noises about how he was going to "borrow it" I made my mind up quite quickly that as big as he was he wasn't going to be walking out the door in my coat and it started to get a bit heavy but luckily my older brother turned up and the coat was given back to me sharpish. Lovely days lol

Cheers

Manus

Its a wonder nobody is selling them today in todays style of :- ... prince of wales check with tartan pockets :lol: :lol: :lol: like the bags

Edited by Naughty Boy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

About 1974 I had a pair of trousers made at colliers tailors in Corby,30 inch parralell to the knee then 28 inch at he bottoms with a turnup,no patch pocketsor flaps,normal waistband,I had a pair in dark blue made not all that long before and they came out really well same spec I had given this time.I had a pair of cords with a high waist band as near eveyone else at the time but werent keen on the high waist multi button look so when my mate george had his trousers made in the same design i had given some time before me I thought they lookesd great and went along with it for mine.At this time lots of people in Corby were having made to measure at colliers(well a fair few anyway)not all soul lads either as the look was popular among the towns trend setters,high waist etc.I was looking really forward to picking up my new trousers and a couple of weeks later set off for town,I couldnt wait as the materiel I had picked was a light grey all wool medium weight that was a bit shimmery but not quite tonic and had cost a bit more because of the mateiral.When I got there and they showed them to me they had put a high waist band with three buttons on them and I was absolutely gutted and had to wait again till they came back from alterations to get rid of the waistband.The bloke couldnt explain what had happened as I was going on about made to measure meaning what it said",the customer says what he wants".The trousers did come back after having the high waistband amputated and a normal one fitted and were then the bees kneesAll I can think is that as they were doing so many orders from lads for 30 inch parallels etc with high waists whoever read the specs must have thought I had meant to put a high waistband as part of my spec so as I had forgot they went ahead and did it,I also think that this may have been how they interpreted a "normal",waistband for such baggies .I did go back later on and have another pair made some time later again like the first ,brilliant first time exactly what I wanted that time no repeat of the waistband problem.

Hello Manus - it's always disappointing when you go to pick something up and they've gotten it wrong - it sounds as if the tailor was in some sort of high waister frenzy - maybe someone had left something hallucinatory in a repair job.

I remember having a cake made for my partners 50th - she's a big hill/mountain walker so I asked for cake depicting a mountain. The cake that arrived looked like something from Michael Bentine's Potty Time - so much so that one of the guests at the party who was a consultant psychiatrist said it looked like something one of his patients would have made lol

Cheers

Manus ( the other one )

Edited by manus
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

We used to get some from Wakefield Army stores with plain uppers, we called them Cherries as they were a oxblood colour, are these what you mean ?

They also did all leather brouges, both were top quality but cheap. :yes:

Yes they were the ones

Yes I think they cost about £3 ???

Had an old school mate working in the army stores so we got staff discount!

Spoke

Social source share

I was reading one of me old B&S' from '74 and Frank Elson was going on in his column about a trend for having NS artists names knitted into the patterns on jumpers, down sleeves etc - anyone ever have one?

Joey Houligan ( Manchester ) wore a T-Shirt with a sewn on Black & White capsule & Riker in large Letters , Recall him wearing it at " Lord Jim`s " HUDDERSFIELD , so he could Taunt the SQUAD ?
Social source share

Guest madmarx

Keep on dancing

Top shout , had completely forgotten about these but i did have more than one pair. Definitely the best shoes of the time, strong but not too heavy with good leather soles, used to tucsan red mine.

Social source share

Watched that thing on the Beeb last night about family life in the 70's couldn't help noticing how much Brown was about :ohmy:

T

Brown and light blue-grey. Apparently brown cars were supposed to be "soothing and peaceful" !! :ohmy: I've gotta pic of me in a blue-grey suit, cool......

Pretty dorky eh ? Great tie :lol:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This is the dominant style again at many nighters / weekenders. It still looks good when you past 50 and beyond. Over the past few years I've noticed more of the ladies wearing 60s style shift dresses, which again are classic and comfortable .

Its a smart scene. For example at Wellingborough on Saturday or Bridlington weekender, shorts were worn in the day, but when the guys come back later for the evening sessions

they had mostly changed into trousers or jeans.Its not compulsory .We all take it for granted, but go to other sorts of events and see what people find acceptable to wear when going out ,even a wedding reception.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest FrostyJak

post-8286-0-78503200-1351854815_thumb.jpI found this photo of my dad who past away last year so i can't ask when it was taken.

Lose the blazer and he could have been on his way ta casino :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

i remember me brother gettin a pair of black dungarees, , sheepskin coat others had patchwork jeans and bags but i thought our lad looked like no one else, cool as f*ck, an a leather bomber jacket from the underground market which had the cut of a denim jacket but in leather, quite a few pics of lads on here wearing em , derek pearson for one , they were in brown or black.He had a tonic sports jacket which i inherited as well which was (sounds horrible ) green and purple, but it was a fucking perfect fit on him and then on me a few years later.,

Had one of those jackets meself a black leather one in the seventies,Kev Featherstone from Norwich was always after it,wish I had given it to Kev as it disapeared somewhere I am not quite sure if it went ointo Norwich old bill shop with an adidas bag of my clothes that when I went to clain it a couple of years later(reason for the gap)got told ,sorry no trace ha ha ha.
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

What about one for the "Mountain",why not market a massively wide huge kipper tie in prince of wales check tonic materiel(there was such a thing back in late sixties early seventies,materiel not tie) this tie would have a large centre pocket in it with a four button bat wing flap on it and to top it off would have a twisted wheel badge sewn in the middle of the pocket.Each tie would come with a special free gift of a plastic "golden torch tie pin" and the whole set would come in a box decorated with various photographs of the wigan casino sign.Best seller or what.However these ties are not meant to sit on the side of a display cabinet in peoples homes these ties are made to be worn with pride.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!