Any Saxaphone Players On Ss

Guest miff

The wifes thinking of getting me one for Christmas so before she dose are they an easy intrument to learn or hard, bering in mind that I can not read music, and strugled at school to play a recorder, I do realise that I would need lessons and am not expeting to play like Jr Walker over night, just dont want her to waste her hard earned cash on an instument that even an acumplised player would say is hard to learn

Thanks Miff

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have played sax for the last 15 years, I started when I was 13 and found it at first quite a struggle. I think that it is quite a hard instrument to master. But in saying that it is frightfully rewarding, you just have to get past that stage of making noises sounding like they are from Hades. I tried to teach my Dad it too but he found he would get out of breath and feel really dizzy after a while. Its most certainly a challenge to accept !!

Edited by Oliver
Social source share

Go for it. I did. I'm crap but still enjoy it (same as my golf actually!) Get a good teacher though. He'll teach you to read as well. Worth the expense to do it properly. I haven't picked it up for the past 3/4 years but I intend to again when time allows. As yer man says...rewarding for sure. Good Luck Matey. :yes:

Social source share

Learning any instrument can be a struggle at first but you can develop your skills at your own pace.

Enthusiasm and a desire to learn are the things that will drive you and of course a love for the instrument helps.

To be accomplished in any instrument is great but enjoying it and music in general is the key thumbsup.gif .

Incidently .....

Anyone/ band - in the Essex area need a novice Hammond player to jam with or help in a project ?

(Just started last couple of months but have played guitar for 20 odd years so I musically understand a few things)

Cheers. Enjoy!

Social source share

sorry , i had a tenor sax for years and was never any good . It is the sort of instrument that you need 10 years playing ability to make it sound like a musical instrument. I tried in vain for 4 years and the best i could do was a fog horn for a ferry boat or a bad fart sound. Good luck i may suggest lots of one on one teaching and possibly an alto sax . I had a yamaha sax and it was great ! shame i was crap.

good luck , the hardest thing is that it takes you years just understanding the bloody reed , never mind all the friggin keys!

pete mj

Edited by Pete Morgan
Social source share

My missus got me one for Xmas 13 years ago. (Selmer MkII)

I never had any lessons until about 4/5 years ago, but managed up until then to get a reasonable tune out of it just by using self teach books.

Getting the professional lessons really helped though and I can blow a pretty mean rendition of most stuff now.

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

hi miff

if she buys you a good quality one,she certainly wont be wasting her money, quality instruments hold there value, as i found out, i bought a gibson les paul guitar about 15 years ago for 200 quid after trying to master the bloody thing for 2 years i hung it on the wall, when i moved 2 years ago i put it on ebay & got just over a grand for it

Social source share

The wifes thinking of getting me one for Christmas so before she dose are they an easy intrument to learn or hard, bering in mind that I can not read music, and strugled at school to play a recorder, I do realise that I would need lessons and am not expeting to play like Jr Walker over night, just dont want her to waste her hard earned cash on an instument that even an acumplised player would say is hard to learn

Thanks Miff

Lots of the better music shops will allow you to rent a sax and take the cost off that if you decide to buy it later. Personally, I'd advise you go for an Alto as it's quieter than a Tenor and will disturb the neighbours less. I wouldn't go for an expensive one first as you need to know if you'll stick with it. See if there are any music workshops in your area and go to them as well as lessons (which you shouldn't skimp on) as you'll meet other saxo's and it's good for bonding.

The only thing that's going to get you to Jnr Walker standard is talent and practice - so if you're not prepared to spend half an hour a day honing your skill levels I'd advise you to get a Nintendo Wii instead.

Cheers Warren

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Any Saxaphone Players On Ss

Brian Jolley :thumbsup:

Cheers Simsy!

Can't remember when I bought my first one it's so long back.

It's like any instrument, it depends on the individual

and how dedicated to learning you want to be.

I'd never say that I could trully play the sax

but I can rustle a few tunes up.

Pete got it right..... "the hardest thing is that it takes you years

just understanding the bloody reed , never mind all the friggin keys!"

You're not on your bloody own Pete! rolleyes.gif

I was in a soul band for about 6 or 7 years doing Atlantic and Stax

tunes plus a couple of Northern. We did pretty good playing

pub and club gigs. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Trouble was, our young(21) singer decided he wanted to make

good money so he left us to do karaoke. :sleep3:

If you buy one and it doesn't suit, at least you've tried... no regrets.

I'd say definitely go for it!! :thumbsup:

I've got 3 at the moment.

2 tenors: Yamaha 320 & Selmer Bundy.

1 Alto: Odyssey.

The Alto is virtually brand new and for sale.

Social source share

Cheers Simsy!

Can't remember when I bought my first one it's so long back.

It's like any instrument, it depends on the individual

and how dedicated to learning you want to be.

I'd never say that I could trully play the sax

but I can rustle a few tunes up.

Pete got it right..... "the hardest thing is that it takes you years

just understanding the bloody reed , never mind all the friggin keys!"

You're not on your bloody own Pete! rolleyes.gif

I was in a soul band for about 6 or 7 years doing Atlantic and Stax

tunes plus a couple of Northern. We did pretty good playing

pub and club gigs. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Trouble was, our young(21) singer decided he wanted to make

good money so he left us to do karaoke. sleep3.gif

If you buy one and it doesn't suit, at least you've tried... no regrets.

I'd say definitely go for it!! thumbsup.gif

I've got 3 at the moment.

2 tenors: Yamaha 320 & Selmer Bundy.

1 Alto: Odyssey.

The Alto is virtually brand new and for sale.

Go on then , How much ???

Social source share

Thanks Miff

I had money burning a hole in my pocket and stumbled upon one in a junk shop for £50 in what would be g condition. Got a new reed for it and a halter and Ive been honking along to all my Jnr Walker tunes with it ever since, (like Gene Hackman in The Conversation), learn to play....... not as long as Ive got a hole in my a**

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Personally I wouldn't touch it Miff.

It doesn't even say what make it is.

See if Google will pull up a what's what of sax's.

It depends how much you want to pay obviously but do you want a 'learners' one?

Try Boosey & Hawkes Lefleur or a Selmer Bundy for 2 to start with.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

You most likely won't want to do it this way but remember that a saxophone is just one step up from a clarinet. A lot of people start with the clarinet and move on to a sax. I did that.

If you know anyone who will lend you a clarinet it will give you a feel as to how the reed makes the sound and your fingers and the keys make the different notes.

If you can afford to buy new I would do that as a second hand one might need the pads refurbing (the pads keep the holes air tight when the valves are closed) and that can get expensive.

And yes I think an alto is the best compromise as it stands up well as a solo instrument but also fits in well with a group.

And yes I would find yourself a teacher. To really master the instrument you need to understand not just how to bang out a tune but also how to best use your lips, teeth, tongue and other facial muscles. I can't honestly say that I did that to my satisfaction before I stopped my involvement in live music.

That's just a few thoughts.

MB

Social source share

Guest Brian J

You most likely won't want to do it this way but remember that a saxophone is just one step up from a clarinet. A lot of people start with the clarinet and move on to a sax. I did that.

If you know anyone who will lend you a clarinet it will give you a feel as to how the reed makes the sound and your fingers and the keys make the different notes.

If you can afford to buy new I would do that as a second hand one might need the pads refurbing (the pads keep the holes air tight when the valves are closed) and that can get expensive.

And yes I think an alto is the best compromise as it stands up well as a solo instrument but also fits in well with a group.

And yes I would find yourself a teacher. To really master the instrument you need to understand not just how to bang out a tune but also how to best use your lips, teeth, tongue and other facial muscles. I can't honestly say that I did that to my satisfaction before I stopped my involvement in live music.

That's just a few thoughts.

MB

Sound advice (pun intended!) :rolleyes:

I'd say go for a new one as well.

The first 2 I bought were second hand. I had nothing but trouble with both leaking air.

PS: A bit of advice...always make sure the mouthpiece is clean

if it is second-hand or if it looks like it's been blown.

A wet wipe or something similar will come in handy.

Social source share

Thanks Miff

Respect, I'd love to be able to play one.

Whether It's easy or not & suspect the Later, I've played the Air Saxaphone many times (Thumb A Ride) etc.

All The Best With This. :thumbsup: Wonderful Instrument.

Remember, you've already got soul. thumbsup.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thanks Miff

good.gif Miff, if you want to book sum lessons and advice,ill give you me m8s numba,he plays sax,and still has lessons,he will put you right. he sorted my youngest out.

Regards..Burt x....................

Social source share

I had mine pinched.

I've been on the look out for one for the last couple of months, trying to get one for a snip on Ebay but to no avail, I think on the run up to Xmas is the wrong time to be looking to purchase one.

Upon reading round the web on what's what, it's a bit of a minefield but have found forums such as this to be a help when sorting the wheat from the chaff.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/

Build quality stands for a lot and a 'cheap' sax don't make the same noise as a decent one.

Social source share

Thats just what I was about to say..... good advice, I started in primary school playing recorder, moved on to clarinet( in the school orchestra) and then onto sax.... I have not touched either for over 20 years.... keep telling myself every year I will take it up again..... go for it, the sax for me is just heaven.....

Philly

Edited by philly
Social source share

Thanks for everones replys, its been a great help :good: decided to buy a new one and me and this wife are off to the local music shop and buy the best one she can afford, and i assume they will be able to get me in touch with a teacher. thanks folks again you've helped to to tick another thing off my bucket list. :laugh:

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

I've been enjoying reading the posts from sax players. I am a sax player living in Nashville, Tennessee, USA. I agree with the majority of the posts. Buy a new beginner sax to learn AND take lessons. The Selmer Bundy is a good place to start. Also, I would suggest a #2 or

#2 1/2 reed.

I started playing in sax in 1962. My previous experience had been a recorder, playing by ear. I started in my first band in 1962 as a drummer and the band was going to fire me because the guitar player's brother played drums and the other guys wanted to hire him. I begged not to be fired and offered to play sax and be the lead singer. My Mom bought me a C melody sax at a pawn shop for $60. US.

I bought an easy steps to band book and taught myself. I also learned from older friends that played in bands. I remember that when I was young I would skip school and go to the carnival when it came to town. The white striptease shows would have the girls dance to recorded music but the black strip shows always had a live band of guitar, bass, drums and sax. They would play great music behind the dancers like "Last Night", "20-75", Twine Time" and so on. During the day the band would sit under the tent and jam. I would skip school and take my sax to the tent and they would teach me songs. I still play by ear, but I don't recommend it. I am limited because I didn't learn to read. I am more of a vocalist now, but I still play sax on gigs. However, it would be nice to sit down and play with a group reading charts. So, by all means, if you plan on being a serious sax player, take lessons.

I play mainly, a King Tenor. I have had it since 1963 and it is the only tenor that I play. I keep having it rebuilt from time to time. The old girl has traveled around the world and she's a part of me. The mouthpiece I use is a Wagner. It was given to me by Dick Dale (Dick Dale and the Deltones) in 1972 when I was a Deltone. I've been playing it ever since. Good luck and you will enjoy it! Don't ever feel that you will get to a point where you've learned it all. I am still learning after almost 50 years!

Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Social source share

I've been enjoying reading the posts from sax players. I am a sax player living in Nashville, Tennessee, USA. I agree with the majority of the posts. Buy a new beginner sax to learn AND take lessons. The Selmer Bundy is a good place to start. Also, I would suggest a #2 or

#2 1/2 reed.

I started playing in sax in 1962. My previous experience had been a recorder, playing by ear. I started in my first band in 1962 as a drummer and the band was going to fire me because the guitar player's brother played drums and the other guys wanted to hire him. I begged not to be fired and offered to play sax and be the lead singer. My Mom bought me a C melody sax at a pawn shop for $60. US.

I bought an easy steps to band book and taught myself. I also learned from older friends that played in bands. I remember that when I was young I would skip school and go to the carnival when it came to town. The white striptease shows would have the girls dance to recorded music but the black strip shows always had a live band of guitar, bass, drums and sax. They would play great music behind the dancers like "Last Night", "20-75", Twine Time" and so on. During the day the band would sit under the tent and jam. I would skip school and take my sax to the tent and they would teach me songs. I still play by ear, but I don't recommend it. I am limited because I didn't learn to read. I am more of a vocalist now, but I still play sax on gigs. However, it would be nice to sit down and play with a group reading charts. So, by all means, if you plan on being a serious sax player, take lessons.

I play mainly, a King Tenor. I have had it since 1963 and it is the only tenor that I play. I keep having it rebuilt from time to time. The old girl has traveled around the world and she's a part of me. The mouthpiece I use is a Wagner. It was given to me by Dick Dale (Dick Dale and the Deltones) in 1972 when I was a Deltone. I've been playing it ever since. Good luck and you will enjoy it! Don't ever feel that you will get to a point where you've learned it all. I am still learning after almost 50 years!

Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Thank you steve for your words of encouragement, Been reding the Salt and Pepper thread, hope you do come over to do a weekender here in the UK , and with luck its Cleethorpes, thats where I live, and i can bring may new sax down and you can teach me a few chords or somthing, Now that would be a nice Photo you playing my sax :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Good luck with it. I went to my local pub a few weeks back and it was a free for all jamming session. There was a really good brass section and it got me thinking I'd like to learn sax too but what with money and time it's not an option at the moment (plus neighbours lol). I can play piano but that's about it. Would love to learn another instrument and the sax just sounds so magical in the sounds it produces. Let us all know how you get on with it and go for it! Nothing to lose at the end of the day.

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Thank you steve for your words of encouragement, Been reding the Salt and Pepper thread, hope you do come over to do a weekender here in the UK , and with luck its Cleethorpes, thats where I live, and i can bring may new sax down and you can teach me a few chords or somthing, Now that would be a nice Photo you playing my sax thumbup.gif

It would be my pleasure!

Good luck,

Steve

Social source share

Been today and gone and done it. I am now the proud owner of an alto sax, well will be on the 25th Dec,rolleyes.gif manged to get it all put together, and even got a souund out of it beore the missis confiscated it off me boxing.gif also got a phone number for a tutor. thanks again folks for your help thumbup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!