Boomerang - Saturday 21St

Guest Leona M

Guest Leona M

THOUGHT I'D GET THE BALL ROLLING........ ESPECIALLY SINCE I'M BIASED:wicked:

WHAT A GREAT NIGHT!......... WITH SO MUCH GOING ON AROUND THE COUNTRY, I'D BEEN UNSURE WHAT TO EXPECT (OTHER THAN GREAT TUNES, AS WE'VE COME TO EXPECT)

BUT, I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY A GREAT TURN OUT OF ENTHUSIASTIC SOULIES & DISCERNING COLLECTORS.

AS EVER, THE MUSIC QUALITY WAS AWESOME!.......... ON TOP OF THE CUSTOMARY GREAT SPINS FROM MARIA & ARTHUR, ADY POUNTAIN & LEONA DROPPED SOME FANTASTIC TUNES WHICH KEPT BOTH DANCERS & 'CHINNERS' HAPPY..... WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR? ( I'M HAPPY TO SAY I SIT IN BOTH CAMPS.........:thumbup:)

I PUT IN MY USUAL REQUEST QUOTA.......... CHEERS ARTHUR; I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO ASK FOR KAE WILLIAMS, ADI P - ICE 'REALITY' & ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T REQUEST IT- AD-LIBS 'DON'T NEED NO FORTUNE TELLER' & OF COURSE MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE - FALCONS 'LOVE YOU LIKE YOU'VE NEVER.......,' JNB 'I'LL BE THE ONE' & FANTASTIC'S 'ME & YOU'...............

......I MANAGED TO WEAR THE SOLES ON MY SHOES DOWN A BIT MORE!

PUT TOGETHER WITH THE GREAT COMPANY, YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS, A CELEBRATION (CONGRATULATIONS TAFF!) AND KAREN & PETE'S HOSPITALITY....... WE ALL HAD A MEMORABLE NIGHT......

...... LOOKING FORWARD TO FEBRUARY WHEN BOOMERANG'S BACK AGAIN (.......................:tumbleweed3:......................... COULDN'T RESIST IT!)

THANKS EVERYONE WHO MADE IT A GREAT NIGHT

ADI

• Replies 17
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well Adi's beaten me to it, so here's my comments on the latest Boomerang.

All my friends are probably bored rigid of me going on about how good this club is, but it's the truth, great music and great people.

I went up to Welwyn Garden City by train to meet Martin (Rbman) who was kindly doing the honours on the driving front.

The drive up took a little bit longer than in August to the all dayer, quite a long diversion off the A1M due to road works, and the weather didn't help, horrible rain and the early dark evening. We arrived at our destination, the Thorne Central Guest House before 5 pm, relaxed with a cuppa, and got ready to go to the Canal Tavern to meet friends for a meal.

Before sitting down we ordered drinks, pints of Black Sheep real ale, and the lady serving behind the bar asked if we'd come from London to a soul night. We said yes and she seemed to think we were a bit strange; then she commented that it was only old people who drank Black Sheep; so she'd probably got that right at least.

We caught sight of Leona, one of the guest DJs, sitting with Bob and Val at a table so we sat at the adjoining table. Then Yann and Kim came along, also Adi (Leona's other half) and Arthur Fenn, of course we were all quiet as church mice (LOL), no boisterousness or loud talking (more lol). After two pints of real ale Martin kindly provided a bottle of red wine to accompany the meal, very nice too. I think we all enjoyed our various meals, I know I did anyway.

Then it was time to go into the club area where Maria was doing the opening spot. As any of my friends will know my memory is not of the highest grade these days, so the only track I can remember of her first set was Colette Kelly's City Of Fools, which Maria announced that she was tired of and wanted to sell - pity that as I bought it fairly recently off Dave Greenhill.

Then Arthur took over, again my memory has let me down as to what he played, but it's usually lesser known tunes in that spot.

Following Arthur it was time for one of the top lady DJs in London, although she's originally from Manchester, Leona Murphy, who looked rather glamorous if I may say so, as did so many other ladies present of course. She's got good taste in music and had myself and others dancing, including of course Adi, her husband. That Falcons track is brilliant imo, an arrangement and vocals that wouldn't have been out of place in the big band era.

While Leona was doing her stuff I had to go up to her and say in a fake Northern accent: "Eyup lass, can you play some Northern Soul please from your husband's record collection?" Luckily Leona knows Martin and me, our sense of humour is pretty predictable, so she just laughed, wouldn't do that with some lady DJs, more than my life's worth!

Ady Pountain followed Leona, more good music.

Then Maria again, thanks for playing Betty Wilson (I really am so predictable). Surprised that I was one of the few dancing to Don't Play The Role, but I noticed how the Hamilton Movement still fills the floor, even after all these years. Incidentally Maria also looked glamorous in the black dress she was wearing, it was designer (can't remember who) but think she got it at a bargain price.

Leona took over, keeping the music going, her tunes fit right in with the Boomerang sound. Nice mix of mainly 60s and 70s, Leona had left her R&B records at home much to the disappointment of Rbman, he's still hoping some will be slipped in at Boomerang sometime.

Arthur again took over, and played some of the current big tunes, e.g. Salt And Pepper's Man Of My Word and the Kings Of Soul's Is Your Love For Me, great dancer that one. For Rbman he kindly played Teacherman and for me of course it had to be Feminine Ingenuity.

The last set of the evening was played by Ady Pountain, good sounds again, but I was chatting at the bar to Louise, she said some really nice things to me, so kind of her.

The evening ended at 1am, the time flew by, shows how much I enjoyed it. I'm sure everyone else did. If the DJs could post their playlists I'd be most grateful. I danced quite a bit, more than I intended, and no after effects on my back and legs, so that's good.

The numbers were slightly down on the all dayer, but drops in attendees seems to be the trend these days. Great to see so many of my friends, too many to mention, hope the amount of alcohol I consumed didn't cause any embarrassing moments.

What I've noticed about Boomerang is how everyone is smiling; that shows Karen and Maria have got things right.

Martin and I managed to wend our way back to the guest house. He collapsed into his bed and immediately began to snore at a prodigious noise level. I've shared rooms with friends at soul weekenders, and I thought John Stubbs and Paul McKay could snore, but Rbman would be a champion, if only we could direct his snoring onto the national grid we could eliminate the need for several wind farms. On a more serious note, it was good of him to handle the driving, cheers mate.

We went back via Bedford, but that's another story, suffice to say I feel like death warmed up at work today. Suppose that is the sign of a good weekend.

Good night amongst friends.

Excellent job from all the Dj's (especially enjoyed Maria & Leona Spots).

Thanks to Pete & Karen for their kind hospitality.

Cu all at the next one or VaVaVoom New Year Eve in London

Yann:good:

Va Va Voom New Years Eve Allnighter! 9pm-6am.

Rare 60's,70's Soul & Crossover Spun for you by Soul Leg ends, Arthur Fenn,Ady Pountain,Dave Flynn,Tony Smith,Pete Widdison. Madrid Soul Society, David De Santiago & Sergio M.Vivas. And your residents, Yann Vatiste,Joel Maslin & Ady Lupton. Plus 2 alternative rooms courtesy of The New Untouchables. At The Venue 229 Great Portland St,London,W1W 5PN. Advance tickets recommended & available via the ticket hotline 02073237229 or www.229thevenue.co.uk £15 or £20 on the door if still available. For cheap onsite accommodation call 02076318305 or accomm@ish.org.uk For more info go to, https://web.me.com/ya...om/Welcome.html

Edited by Yann V
Guest Leona M

Yann:good:

JUST READ GEOFF'S POST...........:ohmy: I SHOULD THANK YOU FOR DOING THE DRIVING TOO!............ CHEERS

MATE!:thumbup::thumbup:

IF YOU NEED A YORKSHIRE PUDDING RECIPE...... KNOCK NEXT DOOR:wicked:

100 CLUB ON SAT???......... COULD BE A NICE EARLY WARM-UP FOR VAVAVOOM NYE!!!

RGDS

ADI

Rare 60's,70's Soul & Crossover Spun for you by Soul Leg ends, Arthur Fenn,Ady Pountain,Dave Flynn,Tony Smith,Pete Widdison. Madrid Soul Society, David De Santiago & Sergio M.Vivas. And your residents, Yann Vatiste,Joel Maslin & Ady Lupton. Plus 2 alternative rooms courtesy of The New Untouchables. At The Venue 229 Great Portland St,London,W1W 5PN. Advance tickets recommended & available via the ticket hotline 02073237229 or www.229thevenue.co.uk £15 or £20 on the door if still available. For cheap onsite accommodation call 02076318305 or accomm@ish.org.uk For more info go to, https://web.me.com/ya...om/Welcome.html

Guest Leona M

Yanngood.gif

FORGOT TO MENTION---- YOUNG MODS.......... CHOOOOOON!

Another fantastic night in great company at the Boomerang - lots of well known and not so well known tunes spun throughout the evening kept dancers and listeners HAPPY !!!!

February is a must.

See you then.

Dave & Donna.

Allways good to see you guys, must have been good cos i stayed sober & still had a great time yes.gif , got to say i thought Ady & Leona excelled, Arthur.

Guest Leona M

Allways good to see you guys, must have been good cos i stayed sober & still had a great time yes.gif , got to say i thought Ady & Leona excelled, Arthur.

Thanks Arthur :shades:

It was an absolute pleasure to spin some tunes up there in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Although the journey over from Manchester with Bob N Val was a bit hairy - the weather was atrocious :lol: it was well worth it. I loved what all the Dj's played - the quality and taste at Boomerang are second to none and I'm rather chuffed to be asked to play in such good company :shades:

Here's the playlist:

Set 1

Fantastics - Me & You

Rotations - I Can't Find Her

Spontanes - Where Did I Go Wrong

Masterpiece - Love Affair

Basic Black & Pearl - There'll Come a Time (There'll Come a Day)

Yates Brothers & Sisters - Just Can't Fight the Feeling

Brenda & the Tabulations - That's in the Past

Jim & Lee - Let's Go Baby

Billy Soultree - I'm the Man

Falcons - Love You Like You Never Been Loved

Johnny McCall - I Need You

Set 2

Anne Sexton - I Still Love You

Dwight Franklin - Foxie Lila

JNB - I'll Be the One

Straightjacket - The Greatest Part of Loving You

Gifted Four - Are You Choosing

Philharmonics - I Need, I Need Your Love

Gene & Eddie - It's No Sin

Pretenders - I Call it Love

The Hesitations - I This the Way to Treat a Girl

Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl

Spiedels - Dream Girl

Joe Johnson & The Olympia Serenaders - Can I Change My Mind

Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing

Eddie Kendricks - Date With the Rain

Think that's everything, looking forward to the Boomerang crew coming down to London for New Year (got a bit of an exchange going on here!) when I will get the opportunity to return the wonderful hospitality shown to us by Karen :D

Thanks girls for asking me to DJ, have got the bug now and hope to get the opportunity to do it again :P

Leona X

Guest Leona M

Thanks Arthur :wub:

It was an absolute pleasure to spin some tunes up there in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Although the journey over from Manchester with Bob N Val was a bit hairy - the weather was atrocious :( it was well worth it. I loved what all the Dj's played - the quality and taste at Boomerang are second to none and I'm rather chuffed to be asked to play in such good company :wub:

Here's the playlist:

Set 1

Fantastics - Me & You

Rotations - I Can't Find Her

Spontanes - Where Did I Go Wrong

Masterpiece - Love Affair

Basic Black & Pearl - There'll Come a Time (There'll Come a Day)

Yates Brothers & Sisters - Just Can't Fight the Feeling

Brenda & the Tabulations - That's in the Past

Jim & Lee - Let's Go Baby

Billy Soultree - I'm the Man

Falcons - Love You Like You Never Been Loved

Johnny McCall - I Need You

Set 2

Anne Sexton - I Still Love You

Dwight Franklin - Foxie Lila

JNB - I'll Be the One

Straightjacket - The Greatest Part of Loving You

Gifted Four - Are You Choosing

Philharmonics - I Need, I Need Your Love

Gene & Eddie - It's No Sin

Pretenders - I Call it Love

The Hesitations - I This the Way to Treat a Girl

Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl

Spiedels - Dream Girl

Joe Johnson & The Olympia Serenaders - Can I Change My Mind

Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing

Eddie Kendricks - Date With the Rain

Think that's everything, looking forward to the Boomerang crew coming down to London for New Year (got a bit of an exchange going on here!) when I will get the opportunity to return the wonderful hospitality shown to us by Karen :wub:

Thanks girls for asking me to DJ, have got the bug now and hope to get the opportunity to do it again :P

Leona X

Any chance of some more sets being posted?..........

....... there was far too many great tunes that I didn't know............. even if some of them might

not be the real names...........(Arthur......... :shades: ) but at least i'll know what to ask for on NYE :wub:

Adi

....... there was far too many great tunes that I didn't know............. even if some of them might

not be the real names...........(Arthur......... :P ) but at least i'll know what to ask for on NYE :shades:

Adi

I've sent them both harrasing texts tonight and they know they're under threat of vocal nagging soon :thumbsup:

Leona in particular met the challenge on Saturday imho - and nobody would ever guess that although she's dj'ed a bit over the years, that was her first mic night :P . Even AdyP and Arthur needed convincing of her gobby novice status at breakfast, as I mentioned it whilst they were discussing how much they enjoyed her spot.

BIG THANK YOU to everyone who came along and supported Boomerang, and thanks to our three guest DJs who played records which brought a hell of a lot of smiles around the room. All nights are hopefully a bit different and this one was ultra relaxed we thought. Ian's grampa status and champagne & donut celebrations were a nice compliment too.

Still a bit tired and working away again, so will post more if I can think of anything.

...but before I forget - the NEXT DATE is Saturday 6th February 2010 (guest dj's to be announced).

Boomerang has also had a couple of invites for weekender afternoon showcases in 2010 and think I said yes due to a pint or two (sorry about that!). Fingers crossed we're signing up to another year of fun & great sounds - and that you keep coming back (...like a Boomerang :D )

m

ps. Thorne is in South Yorkshire (not east riding as posted above)

[

It was an absolute pleasure to spin some tunes up there in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Although the journey over from Manchester with Bob N Val was a bit hairy - the weather was atrocious :ohmy: it was well worth it. I loved what all the Dj's played - the quality and taste at Boomerang are second to none and I'm rather chuffed to be asked to play in such good company :yes:

Hope this fills in a few gaps Adiwhistling

Here's the playlist:

SET 1

The Sherrell Bros. - The Price (Currison)

Donnell Brown - "With Love We'll Make It" (Brown & Brown)

Larry Hobson - Say What's On Your Mind (C/U)

The Exportations - People Might Say (C/U)

Rear-View - I Wanna Hear It From You (Ben-L Records)

Troy Johnson - I Want You (Soul Beat)

Arthur Foy - Love Dreams (MCS)

The Lovations - (I Keep Singing) La La La Ooh (Car City)

SET 2

Salt & Pepper - A Man Of My Word (Heatwave)

Angela Davis & The Mighty Chevelles - My Love (Is So Strong) (Flaming Arrow)

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me (Shirley)

Kings Of Soul - Is Your Love For Me (Down To Earth)

Wee - Try Me (Owl)

Soul For Sale - Let Me Love You (Geronimo)

Barbara St Clair - Teacherman (Crosseyed Bear)

Charles Mintz - Running Back (Up Look)

Ruby - Feminine Ingenguity (Gold Token)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

Donald Thomas - Calling Me Home (PMRC)

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing (The Record Company)

Kae Williams - "Our Love Is Dying" (GM - Unissued)

Archie Hodge - I Really Want To See You Girl (Narco)

J.P. Robinson - Our Day Is Here (Blue Candle)

Cheers, Arthur

-

not be the real names...........(Arthur......... :wicked: ) but at least i'll know what to ask for on NYE :yes:

Adi

Happy smiling faces on Saturday at Boomerang. Great crowd of soul lovers and a wonderful social event. Get there, you'll love it!

Thanks to the promoters who must be obeyed for another great night and here is what (I think) I played:-

1st Set

Marshall, Donovan, Broomfield - Since I Found My Baby - Augusta

Alex Brown - I'm Not Responsible - Sundi

Little Madeline - Emotion - Blue Soul

The Natural Four - Hanging On To A Lie - Boola Boola

Jeanette Holloway - I Won't Be Around - Dash

The Ascots - Just A Few Feet From The Gutter - American Playboy

Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving Me - Carmen

Cloudburst - I'm Loving You - Stormy Monday

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah

Jimmey ' Soul' Clark - I'll Be Your Winner - Soulhawk

Sam Nesbitt - Chase Those Clouds Away - Amos

Steve Mancha - Did My Baby Call - Wheelsville

Psychodelic Frankie - Putting You Out Of My Life - Hi-Speed

Last 45 minutes

The Tams - This Precious Moment - Sounds South

The Bitter&The Sweet - Babies - The Anything, Everything Records

The Internationals - Beautiful Philosophy - D'ar Recording Co. Inc.

Ad-Libs - I Don't Need No Fortune Teller - Passion

Traditions - Twinkle Little Star - Abet

Sir Joe - Nobody Beats My Love - Ru-Jac

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair - Sepia

Frederick Hymes III - Time Ain't Gonna Do Me No Favors - Fab Vegas

Ice - Reality - Ice

Halo - Let Me Do It - Marshal

Jeanie Tracey - Making New Friends - Brown Door

Leroy Barbour - I Ain't Going Nowhere - Frontiersman

Serena Johnson - All Work And No Play - Big 2

Frankie Gearing - Spinning Top - Beale St.

And to end.........

Johnny Taylor - Signing Off With Love - Columbia (Had them smooching!)

Thanks again Maria and Karen. In the words of Philip Mitchell "The world needs more people like you"

Ady

P.S. Where were the sausages at breakfast!

Happy smiling faces on Saturday at Boomerang. Great crowd of soul lovers and a wonderful social event. Get there, you'll love it!

Thanks to the promoters who must be obeyed for another great night and here is what (I think) I played:-

1st Set

Last 45 minutes

Ice - Reality - Ice

And to end.........

Thanks again Maria and Karen. In the words of Philip Mitchell "The world needs more people like you"

Ady

Nice set Ady ,I actually bought my Johnny Taylor at the [ old ] Thorne , my fave record by him ......Best,Eddie

Guest karen b

1st Set

Last 45 minutes

Ice - Reality - Ice

And to end.........

Ady

Well finally joined ss, this is my first solo post.!

I would like to thank all of the DJ's who made Saturday a night to remember, playlists

say it all, fantastic.

Great roomfull of guests who all made me smile, and thanks to you all for battling the

stinky weather.

Lastly, Ady, how can you mistake the last dance as a 'smooch' when clearly Yann and I

were doing 'the rhumba'! Honestly anyone would think you don't watch strictly!ph34r.gif

See you all out and about soon,

Love Karen x

Well finally joined ss, this is my first solo post.!

I would like to thank all of the DJ's who made Saturday a night to remember, playlists

say it all, fantastic.

Great roomfull of guests who all made me smile, and thanks to you all for battling the

stinky weather.

Lastly, Ady, how can you mistake the last dance as a 'smooch' when clearly Yann and I

were doing 'the rhumba'! Honestly anyone would think you don't watch strictly!:ph34r:

See you all out and about soon,

Love Karen x

Good to have you on board in your own right Karen.

Did you find a home for that mobile phone I found in my bag at the end of the evening?

Mx

Guest karen b

Good to have you on board in your own right Karen.

Did you find a home for that mobile phone I found in my bag at the end of the evening?

Mx

Hi Martin,

the mobile was claimed on the Sunday morning and despatched down to Grantham to its owner so thanks

for handing it in. It was great you and Geoff managed to join us for tea at t'tavern early doors I hope you

enjoyed you yorkshire puddings?thumbsup.gif

Karenx

Hi Martin,

the mobile was claimed on the Sunday morning and despatched down to Grantham to its owner so thanks

for handing it in. It was great you and Geoff managed to join us for tea at t'tavern early doors I hope you

enjoyed you yorkshire puddings?thumbsup.gif

Karenx

Glad it found its way home...hope the owner didn't mind the 30min call to my mate in New York!

Geoff enjoed his yorkie pud...I had Mick's Grill.....hope he didn't notice.

Mx