Bradford Queens Hall Any One With Any Old Photos

pjs

Guest wrightypaul36

I seem to have miss placed all my photos from Bradfords Queen Hall,don't think I ever missed any of these all nighters,am I right in saying Lou Ragland played downstairs in the modern room...memory going and all that..unsure.gif

Paul.

Yes Lou Ragland did play downstairs in the modern room.He wasnt advertised to be performing,The first I knew was when a dj anounced at the beginning of his spot,(LOU RAGLAND IS ON DOWN STAIRS SHORTLY)About 40 punters made it down stairs,to witness one of the best live performances ive ever seen. Before he came on, A black guy took to the the stage area and did a mike test,people started to clap and he said dont clap me im not Lou Ragland. oops! Alot of people missed his show that night and didnt realise he was even on.Best song for me was the wonderful "SINCE YOU SAID YOU WOULD BE MINE" Fantastic! regards WrightyP.

Social source share

Before he came on, A black guy took to the the stage area and did a mike test,people started to clap and he said dont clap me im not Lou Ragland

" PRICELESS "

Social source share

Oops!! l wondered why it was word for word the same....Sorry! whistling:laugh:

no prob mate , i can just see it now , a black guy walks on the stage and everyone starts to clap , if i would have been him i would have started to sing ,,:D

it still makes me chuclkle thinking about it , i can just imagin him now " no no im not Lou Ragland "

i bet the people who clapped felt right plonkers :D

Social source share

no prob mate , i can just see it now , a black guy walks on the stage and everyone starts to clap , if i would have been him i would have started to sing ,,biggrin.gif

it still makes me chuclkle thinking about it , i can just imagin him now " no no im not Lou Ragland "

i bet the people who clapped felt right plonkers biggrin.gif

Guilty your honour :tumbleweed3:

Malc Burton

Social source share

I seem to have miss placed all my photos from Bradfords Queen Hall,don't think I ever missed any of these all nighters,am I right in saying Lou Ragland played downstairs in the modern room...memory going and all that..unsure.gif

Paul.

Hi Paul wave.gif

I've got some pics from Bradford both upstairs & downstairs thumbup.gif

I dont have a scanner yet but all being well Santa's bringing me one for Christmas thumbsup.gif so I'll get them posted up over the festive period ..... or knowing me & technology ......... the summer of 2010 !! I'll let you know when Ive posted em.

All The Best

Ali x

Social source share

Hi Paul wave.gif

I've got some pics from Bradford both upstairs & downstairs thumbup.gif

I dont have a scanner yet but all being well Santa's bringing me one for Christmas thumbsup.gif so I'll get them posted up over the festive period ..... or knowing me & technology ......... the summer of 2010 !! I'll let you know when Ive posted em.

All The Best

Ali x

Cheers Alison look forward to seeing them.

Paul.

P.s It was good seeing you at Paul Harris's do in Bradford.

Edited by pjs
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Harrison

Paul.

Yet another bloody Bradford thread......................................whistling.gifwhistling.gif .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Brett F

I went a few times in i imagine late eighties or early 90's can't remember, used to go with a lad called Ian 'Mussy' Murray from Sheffield, remember big floor upstairs and little room downstairs, wasnt it on a big hill ?.No idea what got played seems years ago, i'd go out all day then after football travel by car (Ian drove) and was always knackered, recall once i went to the car and slept for about 5 hours whilst Ian just kept going etcwhistling.gif

Social source share

I went a few times in i imagine late eighties or early 90's can't remember, used to go with a lad called Ian 'Mussy' Murray from Sheffield, remember big floor upstairs and little room downstairs, wasnt it on a big hill ?.No idea what got played seems years ago, i'd go out all day then after football travel by car (Ian drove) and was always knackered, recall once i went to the car and slept for about 5 hours whilst Ian just kept going etcwhistling

A scenario comparitable to the fabled " Lost Weekend " experienced by John Lennon and Harry Nilsson ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I went a few times in i imagine late eighties or early 90's can't remember, used to go with a lad called Ian 'Mussy' Murray from Sheffield, remember big floor upstairs and little room downstairs, wasnt it on a big hill ?.No idea what got played seems years ago, i'd go out all day then after football travel by car (Ian drove) and was always knackered, recall once i went to the car and slept for about 5 hours whilst Ian just kept going etcwhistling.gif

Actually Brett I've got a photo of "Muzzy" from downstairs at Bradford sat with Cliff Dale. You're not on it though as you were probably out in the car getting 40 winks biggrin.gif

Do you ever see anything of Muzzy ? I bump into Cliff from time to time & he's doing fine but I would love to know how Muzzy is doing.

Ali x

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Actually Brett I've got a photo of "Muzzy" from downstairs at Bradford sat with Cliff Dale. You're not on it though as you were probably out in the car getting 40 winks biggrin.gif

Do you ever see anything of Muzzy ? I bump into Cliff from time to time & he's doing fine but I would love to know how Muzzy is doing.

Ali x

Hi Ali, haven't seen the fine fella' in years, known the lad since 1980, he will be out there somewhere, remember him coming to my house when i lived at Parsons Cross around 1986 looking through my records etc, think he still has a few of my old tapes..(he never returned themrolleyes.gif )

Brett

Social source share

Hi Ali, haven't seen the fine fella' in years, known the lad since 1980, he will be out there somewhere, remember him coming to my house when i lived at Parsons Cross around 1986 looking through my records etc, think he still has a few of my old tapes..(he never returned themrolleyes.gif )

Brett

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Yeah that sounds just like Muzzy.

Shame no-one's seen him about for a while. I keep pestering Cliff whenever I bump into him but he hasnt seen him for years either. Aaw

I hope he's alright & happy wherever he is or whatever he's doing. thumbsup.gif

Ali x

Social source share

I went a few times in i imagine late eighties or early 90's can't remember, used to go with a lad called Ian 'Mussy' Murray from Sheffield, remember big floor upstairs and little room downstairs, wasnt it on a big hill ?. No idea what got played seems years ago, i'd go out all day then after football travel by car (Ian drove) and was always knackered, recall once i went to the car and slept for about 5 hours whilst Ian just kept going etcwhistling.gif

Yes it was on hill. With Bradford Police Headquarters at the bottom of the hill ohmy.gif Mind you I think a few of the coppers would come in for a dance after their shift whistling.gif or so I was told by MANY people at the nighter laugh.giflaugh.gif

It was just up from the Alhambra. The building is still there but I think it's a 70's disco type of place for the townies. Flares or something.

I've also heard there is bar slap bang in the middle of where the dancefloor used to be but I haven't had the guts to go & have a look for myself as I know it would only upset me (cos I'm as soft as shxte!)

Ali x

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Before he came on, A black guy took to the the stage area and did a mike test,people started to clap and he said dont clap me im not Lou Ragland

" PRICELESS "

"Bradford Queens Hall"

" PRICELESS"

"Vintage Croft Original"

Social source share

Brett

are you alison who was once married to paul???

sue bushby

Social source share

are you alison who was once married to paul???

sue bushby

No Sue that's not me.

I remember the Ali & Paul you are thinking of. I think they were from Rotherham/Sheffield. I seem to recall she was petite with short blonde hair & he was a larger than life character. Both of them were dead funny & a nice couple to be around but I havent seen either of them since Bradford. sad.gif

So they're not together anymore then ? That is a surprise as they seemed pretty sorted but I s'pose it was a long time ago & people do change.

ATB

Ali x (the other one from Bradford Queens Hall)

Social source share

No Sue that's not me.

I remember the Ali & Paul you are thinking of. I think they were from Rotherham/Sheffield. I seem to recall she was petite with short blonde hair & he was a larger than life character. Both of them were dead funny & a nice couple to be around but I havent seen either of them since Bradford. sad.gif

So they're not together anymore then ? That is a surprise as they seemed pretty sorted but I s'pose it was a long time ago & people do change.

ATB

Ali and Paul (Snoz) were from Barnsley.

I think they're still together but don't go out now. I've not seen either of them since Bradford shut in early '92.

I only missed a couple in 3 years. I used to DJ at Drummonds for Jon Buck and if it clashed with Bradford, would do an early set and leave London about 12.30 and get there at around 3-4 in the morning.

Quite a funny story. One night at Drummonds my friend Johnny and I only had about a tenner between us and had decided to give the Queen's Hall a miss that weekend. After a couple of minutes we knew that was not going to happen so we tried to think of a way to raise the funds to get there.

We got chatting to someone who had a couple of beers in him and he told us he wanted to go. When we told him we didn't have enough money, "Don't worry" says he, "I'll pay your petrol there and back"

Job done we thought. Bundled into the car about 1 o'clock, filled it with petrol and set off.

Matey promptly falls asleep in the back of the car.

We turned up after, shall we say, a rapid drive up at about 4ish.

If I remember all the cars parked on a bit of waste ground across the road and to the right of The Queens Hall.

We've left our new friend asleep in the back of the car and shot across to the 'nighter.

Told the girls on the door that we'd been in all night and had just popped out to the car, so got in freemans.

Came out at 8 in the morning, woke our new pal up who says, "Are we there yet?"

"Yes pal, been and gone, you missed a great night"

A bit of a frosty drive home.

Never seen him since.

Hi to Phil and Alison

Are you coming across to Barry's night on the 28th December? Should be a good un.

Edited by richardf
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think they're still together but don't go out now. I've not seen either of them since Bradford shut in early '92.

I only missed a couple in 3 years. I used to DJ at Drummonds for Jon Buck and if it clashed with Bradford, would do an early set and leave London about 12.30 and get there at around 3-4 in the morning.

Quite a funny story. One night at Drummonds my friend Johnny and I only had about a tenner between us and had decided to give the Queen's Hall a miss that weekend. After a couple of minutes we knew that was not going to happen so we tried to think of a way to raise the funds to get there.

We got chatting to someone who had a couple of beers in him and he told us he wanted to go. When we told him we didn't have enough money, "Don't worry" says he, "I'll pay your petrol there and back"

Job done we thought. Bundled into the car about 1 o'clock, filled it with petrol and set off.

If I remember all the cars parked on a bit of waste ground across the road and to the right of The Queens Hall.

We've left our new friend asleep in the back of the car and shot across to the 'nighter.

Told the girls on the door that we'd been in all night and had just popped out to the car, so got in freemans.

Never seen him since.

Hi to Phil and Alison

Are you coming across to Barry's night on the 28th December? Should be a good un.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif You little tinker Richard .... on all counts !! Im hoping to meet up with a girl, who did the doors, in the new year so you better have a christmas present ready for me on the 28th .... or else boxing.giflaugh.gif

I heard this today & it took me right back to downstairs Bradford in that erm "Rave Room" laugh.gif Hope it works as its the first time I've uploaded anything like this on here.

If it doesnt work its Cool Down Zone "Heaven Knows" thumbup.gif

Have a lovely Christmas Richard & see you on 28th thumbsup.gif

Big love

Ali x

P.S Moderators there was a msg when loading this up & I'm not sure what it meant so if I've done anything illegal I apologise in advance. x

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Never seen him since.

Hi to Phil and Alison

no alison n paul were defo from bradford

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I was good friends with Paul and Ali, used to go up to theirs Saturday afternoon, often on a Friday if Djing somewhere in Yorkshire, stayed at theirs many a time. Down the Coach and Horses for a card session with the Barnsley lads Saturday afternoon, Tracky Club and then to a niter, Bradford and elsewhere. Haven't seen them since Bub and Tubby passed away.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

No Sue that's not me.

ATB

Ali & Paul were from Barnsley. Used to hang round with Tosh and that gang.

I always had a soft spot for Ali coz I had a great Dane called Ali at the time, but I didnt fancy the dog as much as her;) Anyone know what became of Tosh??

Rick

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

My first trip to Queens Hall was in the early 80's about fifteen of us rammed into the back of a transit van driven by Steve Ward, had a brilliant night and was hooked into making the regular trips to Bradford from Nottingham. That also was the first night I met Kitch and Daz Archer who were also in the back of the van. We all probably looked as rough as fook by the time be got back the next day. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

If my memory serves me correctly about the mid 80's the nighter moved to Benson's Bier Keller and it was the early 90's before they again returned to Queens Hall. Never thought Bensons was as good as QH did a few but IMO not a dancer's venue. beer.gif

Tom thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

So who remember's the first Queens Hall Niter, yes before Benson's.........................downstairs featured Richard Searling and Mr Just Soul and a host of east coast connected DJ's. Year 82/83? and what a one off it was. Could have been earlier Sean and Awake 502 any recollections.

Nick biggrin.gif .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I did my last ever (well I thought it was going to be my last ever) allnighter at Benson's Bier Keller prior to joining the Army, Benson's was our favorite and five of us would regularly drive there from Hull. Sean Kearny, Mark Robinson and I were all hooked on the place.

Queens Hall was a up front venue with The Big EZ down stairs were the newest tracks played uneasily below the more acceptable sounds spinning upstairs but too be brutally honest the down stairs room was never quite as successful as it should have been? The music lacked a bit of direction?

I loved this whole era for Northernsoul because there was a shaking of the blanket, Bradford should get a slice of credit for continuing to battle showing the new side to our cult and not getting into a siege mentality when so many of the so called "I love Northernsoul Soulies" had fled like rats on a sinking ship.

Social source share

So who remember's the first Queens Hall Niter, yes before Benson's.........................downstairs featured Richard Searling and Mr Just Soul and a host of east coast connected DJ's. Year 82/83? and what a one off it was. Could have been earlier Sean and Awake 502 any recollections.

Nick biggrin.gif .

No Nick, I did not go to Queens Hall untill 89 or 90.

Don't remember Bensons (apart from the bed shop).

Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Ali & Paul were from Barnsley. Used to hang round with Tosh and that gang.

I always had a soft spot for Ali coz I had a great Dane called Ali at the time, but I didnt fancy the dog as much as her;) Anyone know what became of Tosh??

Rick

tosh is still alive and kicking saw him last year at the barnsley allnighter he's not had a good life think his wife died and he had a disabled child I used to live near him and went to school with himhim also he worked in the baths at the pit for a few years used to go all over with him in the seventies great feller best kim

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

tosh is still alive and kicking saw him last year at the barnsley allnighter he's not had a good life think his wife died and he had a disabled child I used to live near him and went to school with himhim also he worked in the baths at the pit for a few years used to go all over with him in the seventies great feller best kim

Hi Kim,don't think you will remember me,but I used to talk to you a bit a most places we all went to,namely Bradford Queens Hall then Bensons(as mentiond earlier)Wigan,

Brighouse Civic hall and stafford allnighters I used to always be with two other guys,Dave a tall fair haired bloke,and a black guy called Jarvis,we were all from Chesterfield.

any memories? but then they do say if you can remember it you were'nt really there:laugh::hatsoff2:thumbsup.gif Gigs

Social source share

Hi Kim,don't think you will remember me,but I used to talk to you a bit a most places we all went to,namely Bradford Queens Hall then Bensons(as mentiond earlier)Wigan,

Brighouse Civic hall and stafford allnighters I used to always be with two other guys,Dave a tall fair haired bloke,and a black guy called Jarvis,we were all from Chesterfield.

any memories? but then they do say if you can remember it you were'nt really therelaugh.gifhatsoff2.gifthumbsup.gif Gigs

Anyone remember the night there was a massive punch up further up the hill from the Queens Hall, I think it was two opposing pubs that spilled out on to the street and of course the night me and Richard F came in as the pantomine horse which we had worn earlier to a fancy dress night in Stamford.

Social source share

Anyone remember the night there was a massive punch up further up the hill from the Queens Hall, I think it was two opposing pubs that spilled out on to the street and of course the night me and Richard F came in as the pantomine horse which we had worn earlier to a fancy dress night in Stamford.

Don't remember either of them Philb,only remember coming out of the 1st Anniversery only to find me car had been nicked(had a 2.0 S Capri) but had rigged up a small cut out switch to the coil,a bit heath robinson but it worked cos on our way to the police station spotted it down a back street door wide open,they'd shoved it to get it going to no avail,so we just jumped in it,flicked the switch and went home.:laugh: Gigs

Social source share

Don't remember either of them Philb,only remember coming out of the 1st Anniversery only to find me car had been nicked(had a 2.0 S Capri) but had rigged up a small cut out switch to the coil,a bit heath robinson but it worked cos on our way to the police station spotted it down a back street door wide open,they'd shoved it to get it going to no avail,so we just jumped in it,flicked the switch and went home.laugh.gif Gigs

I remember we used to go to a pub round the corner to the Queens Hall that had and old bouncer dressed in an old dinner suit, we used to call him Cab Calloway.

Social source share

Guest ang b

thumbsup.gif

laugh.gif yes i can remember this, i can also remember getting out the car & a girl screaming her fella had been stabbed outside one of the indians round the back, but we just kept our heads down & walked away for obvious reasons we didnt want to get mixed up in it, This was the best niter since wigan i thought, great memories,thumbsup.gif

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

:laugh: yes i can remember this, i can also remember getting out the car & a girl screaming her fella had been stabbed outside one of the indians round the back, but we just kept our heads down & walked away for obvious reasons we didnt want to get mixed up in it, This was the best niter since wigan i thought, great memories,thumbsup.gif

Fantastic dancefloor too especially when the floor was packed, best nighter i've ever experienced.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

This was the first allnighter for me back in the 80's at some point, and the first time somebody said 'do you want any gear'...i just shook my head and said 'no thanks' in a knowing kind of way - i had no idea what he was talking about, i do now though! :blink:

Ste.

Social source share

I seem to have miss placed all my photos from Bradfords Queen Hall,don't think I ever missed any of these all nighters,am I right in saying Lou Ragland played downstairs in the modern room...memory going and all that..:unsure:

Paul.

Paul, Santa did bring me a scanner but lazy arse me hasn't even got it out of the box :blush: I haven't forgot mate & like I said a few posts up it will be the summer of 2010 when I get them loaded up here although I may have to change that to the Winter of 2010 :laugh:

F**k all that upstairs b**locks....Show us the downstairs ones! :laugh::laugh:

I've got some of downstairs too, thankfully, you're not on any of them :tongue:

Nick :D .

I don't Nick. Who ran them then ? I can remember an all dayer at Benson's but then I think it burnt down. I think my first nighter at the Queens Hall was 87 when it was run by Hole in the Wall thingy mi jig then I think Crofty took over not long after (I could be completely wrong so apologies in advance )

Sean Kearny, Mark Robinson and I were all hooked on the place.

Lovely lads Simon those Hull boys thumbsup.gif as well as you of course :D

This was the first allnighter for me back in the 80's at some point, and the first time somebody said 'do you want any gear'...i just shook my head and said 'no thanks' in a knowing kind of way - i had no idea what he was talking about, i do now though! :blink:

Ste.

:laugh::laugh: That was my first time I got offered gear too. It was whilst I was queuing to get in this girl comes up to me & asks me if I wanted any (somehow I knew what it was) so I stick my nose up in the air & say "No thank you !!!! ......... I DONT need it!!!" and turn my head in disgust. How I didnt get tw@tted (as in punched and not off mi face) is beyond me. :no:

Alison x

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

laugh.giflaugh.gif That was my first time I got offered gear too. It was whilst I was queuing to get in this girl comes up to me & asks me if I wanted any (somehow I knew what it was) so I stick my nose up in the air & say "No thank you !!!! ......... I DONT need it!!!" and turn my head in disgust. How I didnt get tw@tted (as in punched and not off mi face) is beyond me. no.gif

You were obviously a bit more 'worldly' than me Alison! I remember seeing you there every time we went, seems like a lifetime ago now, would be good to see some pics, i haven't got any at all unfortunately.

Ste.wink.gif

Alison x

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 07/04/2010 at 14:52, Guest Nick Harrison said:

Nick biggrin.gif .

Hi Nick, sorry only just seen this.

It was a great alnighter early days.

I played both upstairs (60's / Northern) and downstairs (Modern) which made it a very long night for me.

Pretty tough shift as I was newlywed at the time and my weekends were stuffed and the pressure was on as the Mrs wasn't really on the 'niter' scene at the time.

Upstairs I would play such diverse and mysterious things as:

Quotations - I Don't Have To Worry – DiVenus

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy - Canyon (Rex Garvin C/U)

Minnie Jones - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Spencer Wiggins - Take Time To Love Your Woman - Sounds Of Memphis

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby – Cat

Tommy Rodgers - I'll Tell It To The Wind – AJP

Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved – Scepter

Three Degrees - Lonely Town – Roulette

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember - Duke (Ann Sexton C/U)

Dynamics - You'll Never Find A Man Like Me - Black Gold

Larry Davis - The Magic Is Gone - Decca (Sunny & The Sunliners C/U)

Jimmy Ellis - Puttin It On Your Mind - Salem (Roscoe Shelron C/U)

Masqueraders - I Aint Gonna Stop - AGP (Mel Britt C/U)

Derek Martin - If You Go - Sue (George Blackwell C/U)

Otis Clay - Show Place - One-Der-Ful (Jimmy Burns C/U)

Cole Bros - Make Yourself Ready - Jamie (Cecil Washington C/U)

Jerry Jackson - It's Rough Out There - Parkway

Don Gardner - We're Gonna Make It Big - Master Five

Some of which never went anywhere, while others bubbled under for years, intertwined with classic sides from Pookie Hudson, Eddie Foster, Carl Carlton etc.

Downstairs was very much a continuation of my Clifton & Cleggy playlist for me (Coke Escovado, Brothers Guiding Light, Ronnie Dyson, Norman Connors, Bobby Patterson, Darrell Banks, Ujima, Lew Kirton, Eddie Billups, Bill Harris, Whispers alongside the ZZ & Co, Cheryl Berdell, Dells, Revelation, Bobby Thurston, Jewel and Rideout etc.) and I think I was getting to the point where I'd had enough, after only a dozen or so.

I eventually gave Steve Croft notice but he pleaded for me to stay on the rosta. As a good mate it was hard for me to say no. We had been a pretty good team.

I went on and did Warrington for him a couple of times, but I'd really had enough, burnt out after continuous weekends away and I finally broke the addiction and managed to quit.

Still, very good times and 'I Wouldn't Change A Thing' :wink:

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When it was very busy, phenomenal atmospheric niter, great spins from Fortnum, Banks, Nigel Parker, Gary Spencer, etc ... will try and mentally recollect stand out sounds and post on here (Wine / Beer / Cider brain cell destruction taken into account).

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Great atmosphere great music  and a great curry house down the hill  nothing better for the munches at 4 am 👳👍🎶🎶

Social source share

A few off the top of my head (will post more this week as it all (well some of it) comes back to me  -  Darrow Fletcher - WHAT HAVE I GOT NOW  //  Deon Jackson - SOMEDAY THE SUN WILL SHINE  //  Eddie Holland - JUST A FEW MORE DAYS //  Bros of Soul - I'D BE GRATEFUL  //  Little Bob - WE'RE IN LOVE (Big Carl secret C/U)  //  Purple Reign  - YOU GAVE ME SOMEBODY TO LOVE  //  Cream of the Crop (Carol Anderson C/U)  //  Hy-Tones  -  YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MY NAME  //  Billy Stewart  -  LOOK BACK AND SMILE  // Herman Griffin - SLEEP, LITTLE ONE  -  Truly superb sounds, what joyous memories ... more to follow !!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Spain pete said:

Great atmosphere great music  and a great curry house down the hill  nothing better for the munches at 4 am 👳👍🎶🎶

I'm not sure you quite had the hang of going to nighters if you had to eat before Tuesday.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

All about the music  always has been  ,nighters was the only way of discovering rare tunes back then there was no internet . didn't really care for dancing and a prancin each to their own l suppose 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!